Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

but thou must! posted:

console commands

Works like a charm, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

pumpinglemma posted:

What there is, however, is an AI-controlled marine with a rocket launcher and immunity to his own splash damage near the start. :)

He doesn't always have a rocket launcher though. I've gotten rocket dudes a few times but usually they're pistol or chaingun.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

XausF1 posted:

Speaking of Skulltag, why the hell aren't you guys actually utilizing it for what it was meant to do? i.e. multiplayer

Or maybe I missed that bit in the thread?

:iiam:

I play a fair bit of skulltag, but attempting to host a server of any type through this thread alone has met with abject failure pretty consistently. I chalk it up to busy dudes simply reliving the single player aspects of the classics, not to mention most of this thread lives half a world away from each other, so getting a number of goons on one server at one time isn't going to happen.

As to why we don't talk about it more, that's because most skulltag wads (and servers) are terrible.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Hahaha, holy loving poo poo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hT72DHBwypM

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

treat posted:

:iiam:

I play a fair bit of skulltag, but attempting to host a server of any type through this thread alone has met with abject failure pretty consistently.

A lot of people seem to have this problem, but I've hosted several Skulltag sessions with zero problems. All I had to do was forward the port and I was done.

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007
For a while we had a steam skulltag group and I remember going to a few goons on skulltag saturdays or sundays or whatever they were.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Cephalectomy posted:

For a while we had a steam skulltag group and I remember going to a few goons on skulltag saturdays or sundays or whatever they were.

I would be down to restart it again.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

bbcisdabomb posted:

A lot of people seem to have this problem, but I've hosted several Skulltag sessions with zero problems. All I had to do was forward the port and I was done.

While I'm talking purely about interest in the games hosted, the hosting issue a lot of people seem to have stems from ISP's blocking specific ports entirely. I was completely unable to host skulltag games until I moved from Cable-One to Qwest.

I'm definitely down to get more skulltag games going. It seems a lot of people maintain a strictly fleeting interest with any custom wads, but I'd love some classic deathmatching again.

Tapatio
Aug 5, 2011

by Fistgrrl
Doomworld Forums are my homepage, I post under the name "Sigvatr"

I made this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khuyZdgYxlc

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Tapatio posted:

Doomworld Forums are my homepage, I post under the name "Sigvatr"

I made this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khuyZdgYxlc

So awesome.

Those sound effects triggered such a nostalgia wave. :allears: Not just Doom, pretty sure that they were on every shareware game out there for a while [Commander Keen comes to mind]

Mantle
May 15, 2004

treat posted:

While I'm talking purely about interest in the games hosted, the hosting issue a lot of people seem to have stems from ISP's blocking specific ports entirely. I was completely unable to host skulltag games until I moved from Cable-One to Qwest.

I'm definitely down to get more skulltag games going. It seems a lot of people maintain a strictly fleeting interest with any custom wads, but I'd love some classic deathmatching again.

I too was unable to generate any interest, and I have a dedicated server available. I'd be up for running whatever mod on there that you guys want to play 24/7.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Vintersorg posted:

This is basically how I remember Doom from my childhood.

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WueWmgnQuno

I can't remember if I posted this in the thread already. Enjoy it either way (no I didn't make this)

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Yodzilla posted:

He doesn't always have a rocket launcher though. I've gotten rocket dudes a few times but usually they're pistol or chaingun.

Wow, didn't know it was random. That stops the level from being even remotely fair, doesn't it?

glam bam rock
Jun 2, 2009

aaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww
WHAM BAM THANK YA GLAM

daft punk railroad posted:

I can't remember if I posted this in the thread already. Enjoy it either way (no I didn't make this)

"oh, hey, it drops barrels! That's, uh, 'cute'. Wait a second... What just happened? ... We're gonna need a bigger gun."

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Vintersorg posted:

:aaa: Hey, Kins, does ReDoom's Cyberdemon death explosion affect other Cyberdemons? There's something I want to try...

Jesus Christ this is amazing. I love the waves of death that happen now and then, it's surreal. :psyduck:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Mak0rz posted:

:aaa: Hey, Kins, does ReDoom's Cyberdemon death explosion affect other Cyberdemons? There's something I want to try...
Yes, the explosions it spams are actual explosions, not a visual effect. Have fun!

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Is there anyway to set it in Brutal doom so that you don't automatically switch to the chainsaw when you run out of mini-gun ammo?

It's got me killed many a time. :(

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Count me in on the list of people that would be interested in some Skulltag games. I'd be down for anything but I'd like to try out Stronghold with a group at some point.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Next time someone tries to tell me video games can't be art, I'm going to show them this. :aaa:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The Kins posted:

Yes, the explosions it spams are actual explosions, not a visual effect. Have fun!

Haha, oh yes. Time to make my laptop wish it were dead!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I just posted this in the PC gaming thread but man... we're all old timers here, CHECK OUT THIS poo poo. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXw6BkZ-gdY

And as I said in the other thread, don't be the guy 50 seconds in.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Time for some Quake lemme bust out my Thrustmaster and pwn some nubs. :c00lbert:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

He looks to be using a Panther XL:

Or more likely its predecessor, the Assassin 3D, if that was even out in 1996. The concept is sound enough, using an analog joystick for movement allows you to move smoothly in any X/Y direction at any speed, not just combinations of north, south, east and west at either walking or running pace. Just like with modern consoles' dual analog sticks.

I think Half-life actually lets you move significantly faster than walking speed while still being completely silent if you use an analog stick for movement. That's a pretty nifty advantage right there. I stumbled across a forum of trackball+joystick FPS gamers a while back. Most of the posts consisted of whining that no modern games supported true analog movement, since I guess Half-life was the last game to include it.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Yeah I was going to make fun of him, but... huh... I can see it, I guess. I don't think I could pull it off, but I can see the advantages.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Vintersorg posted:

I just posted this in the PC gaming thread but man... we're all old timers here, CHECK OUT THIS poo poo. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXw6BkZ-gdY

And as I said in the other thread, don't be the guy 50 seconds in.

Best bit about the video is the John Carmack - I know this man has had a major role in not only creating some of my favourite games, but also the genre, but I can't help but laugh at how fully he embodies the nerd stereotype in the way that he dresses, talks and behaves. It's like watching Prof. Frink from the Simpsons.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?
I seem to remember that there was a guy that worked at Gamespy/Planetquake that 1) used a joystick and a trackball to play and 2) got sponsored as competitive player by Mad Catz to use their Panther XL... even though he played with a trackball in his RIGHT and the joystick in his left (which is opposite from how the Panther XL is set up).

He beat up newbs pretty well, but never competed at a high level at tournaments or anything.

Edit: Now I think he was lying when he said he was sponsored... I think he was actually just going to this event and trying to get Madcatz to give him 10K. http://www.newworld.com/press/press26.html

He didn't win.

Essobie fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Aug 17, 2011

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Recorded a quick blast through Entryway to show off Brutal Doom to a friend. Might as well post it in here, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hq7FPE_nEus&hd=1

Reive
May 21, 2009

It's like the most disturbing version of Conway's Game of Life!

Now if someone could just program a real version of it with all the basic rules like that it'd be amazing.

co199
Oct 28, 2009

I AM A LOUSY FUCKING COMPUTER JANITOR WHO DOES NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CYBER COMPUTER HACKER SHIT.

PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN TO MY FUCKING AWFUL OPINIONS AS I HAVE NO FUCKING IDEA WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.

Rather Dashing posted:

Best bit about the video is the John Carmack - I know this man has had a major role in not only creating some of my favourite games, but also the genre, but I can't help but laugh at how fully he embodies the nerd stereotype in the way that he dresses, talks and behaves. It's like watching Prof. Frink from the Simpsons.

If you've read Masters of Doom, this really reinforces what the author talks about in his description of John Carmack, especially the "mmm" sound he makes when he finishes talking about an idea. Carmack is on the top of my list in terms of favorite figures in the gaming industry, but he really embodies "nerd" in the older videos.

Also, is that Killcreek Case in the early part of that video? I know she was around during the Q1 era.

Hussar
Oct 25, 2007

What the? Where did these dudes come from? Too bad he ran into an empty section of the map.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUkXB2ZCQ04

co199
Oct 28, 2009

I AM A LOUSY FUCKING COMPUTER JANITOR WHO DOES NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CYBER COMPUTER HACKER SHIT.

PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN TO MY FUCKING AWFUL OPINIONS AS I HAVE NO FUCKING IDEA WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.

Hussar posted:

What the? Where did these dudes come from? Too bad he ran into an empty section of the map.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUkXB2ZCQ04

Those guys replace the invisibility sphere in Brutal Doom!

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Yodzilla posted:

Time for some Quake lemme bust out my Thrustmaster and pwn some nubs. :c00lbert:
Of all the quirky poo poo about the dawn of shooters, the length of time it took mouselook to become standard continues to make the least sense.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?

OneEightHundred posted:

Of all the quirky poo poo about the dawn of shooters, the length of time it took mouselook to become standard continues to make the least sense.

It is a matter of communication, or rather, the lack of it. When Quake first came out, relatively few players had access to the Internet, and they had all come from playing Doom and Doom 2 and Duke 3D using keyboard only (and doing, what they thought, was awesome skilled gameplay).

As soon as the way to play became big LAN parties and over dialup (when Quakeworld took off), everyone got owned by some guy using a mouse, and the knowledge of how to do that just snowballed.

It didn't help that you had to actually know how to bring down the console and type +mlook to get it to work how we all take for granted now.

Hussar
Oct 25, 2007

Yeah, I didn't know about strafing/mouselook/WASD till my friend showed me Counter Strike. Doom, Duke 3D, and Quake was all arrow keys Ctrl and Alt for me. Something I'm not able to recreate now.

Capilarean
Apr 10, 2009

Cephalectomy posted:

Well if there's enough interest,there's no problem in restarting. Fridays proved to be a pretty good time,so we could try a few probationary doomdays to see if there are enough people around. I could try hosting and if that wouldn't work out and nobody else would be able to host, a university in here actually has dedicated adjustable Doom servers,so we could try that.

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
I just posted a thread over at Doomworld about an incredibly obscure 1997 2.5D rail shooter from China called A.D. Cop, which I found on an old CD full of Windows 95 multimedia software.

Despite being a rail shooter rather than a "real" FPS, it turned out to be a whole lot more Doom-related than I was expecting. Check it out if you like knowing obscure Doom-related facts or reading about cheap Chinese DOS games that nobody knows or gives a poo poo about.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Hussar posted:

Yeah, I didn't know about strafing/mouselook/WASD till my friend showed me Counter Strike. Doom, Duke 3D, and Quake was all arrow keys Ctrl and Alt for me. Something I'm not able to recreate now.
poo poo, I remember playing the demo for UT99 and running around in MP using arrow keys, Ctrl and Alt. I was amazed at how fast people could move and aim since I assumed everyone else was using keyboard only too because I had never considered using the mouse in an FPS. :aaaaa:

Hussar
Oct 25, 2007

^^^^ Ha, I remember going back and playing some earlier shooters with a mouse but it was stuck in the mouse up = forward movement. I had no idea how to change it back then so I ruined a bunch of mice and spilled a bunch of coke all over my desk.

I just posted a thread over at Doomworld about an incredibly obscure 1997 2.5D rail shooter from China called A.D. Cop, which I found on an old CD full of Windows 95 multimedia software.

Despite being a rail shooter rather than a "real" FPS, it turned out to be a whole lot more Doom-related than I was expecting. Check it out if you like knowing obscure Doom-related facts or reading about cheap Chinese DOS games that nobody knows or gives a poo poo about.

Well this is pretty great. I was gonna ask about a download, but I see you already answered that over on DoomWorld. I will ask if it's playable through DosBox or is it more complicated than that.

I love learning about and playing obscure old games like this.

Hussar fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Aug 19, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

What really jumped out at me in that Quake video was how crazy low everyone's mouse sensitivity was.