Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Fun Times! posted:

Do I REALLY need the Deus Exe fixer thing described in the OP? I just got the game from fantastic goon Newtie and played through the tutorial without any issues. My laptop is ~2 years old.

It'll fix game speed problems on modern multicore processors as well as save you the hassle of some .ini editing for proper resolution, fov and audio settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Fun Times! posted:

Do I REALLY need the Deus Exe fixer thing described in the OP? I just got the game from fantastic goon Newtie and played through the tutorial without any issues. My laptop is ~2 years old.

It means you can play the game using DirectX 10, which makes it look much nicer.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Should I only get the updated exe file or the extra Direct3D 10 renderer as well?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Get both.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
I got both and now the game doesn't run visually. The opening menu is fine but if I try to start the tutorial or a new game, it minimizes back to the steam window and I can hear the appropriate dialogue. Trying to alt tab back into the game causes it to keep minimizing/maximizing without really doing anything, and the screen is black all the while.
:(

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
So this is my first time playing through Deus Ex and I've had no problems beating the Statue of Liberty level at all. In fact I thought it was kinda easy, I was expecting something brutally difficult after all these years of hearing about this level. Where does everyone get "stuck" anyway?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

PonchAxis posted:

So this is my first time playing through Deus Ex and I've had no problems beating the Statue of Liberty level at all. In fact I thought it was kinda easy, I was expecting something brutally difficult after all these years of hearing about this level. Where does everyone get "stuck" anyway?

Trying to get on the boat at the end of the level.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Fun Times! posted:

No, you just need the DX10 renderer.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

PonchAxis posted:

I don't think it's so much that they get stuck, but that instead of being a FPS badass like in the first level of lots of FPSes, you're more of a level 1 RPG character - low or no skills, lack of options, the whole lot. And remember, this game came out back in 2000 - FPSes were a lot more visceral then.

If you try and play it like a traditional FPS (run around, shoot everything) it can be slow and frustrating. The disconnect between how Deus Ex plays compared to everything else is what gets people, I think. Of course, once you've finished the island level you've learnt more about the way the game works and things just pick up from there.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

Dominoes posted:

No, you just need the DX10 renderer.

I tried it like this and it lagged like poo poo. Tell me my integrated graphics laptop is too lovely for Deus loving Ex!

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Try this instead: http://www.cwdohnal.com/utglr/dxd3d9r13.zip

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

Fag Boy Jim posted:

BTW you will truly be a Deus Ex pro once you figure out a way to carry a GEP gun, sniper rifle, and Dragons Tooth Sword for the bulk of the last half of the game.
Pft, all 3 heavy weapons and no bug exploiting!

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Fun Times! posted:

Why would you not want fixer? Installing it is a two minute effort.

shao kong
Nov 6, 2002

Iggles posted:

Pft, all 3 heavy weapons and no bug exploiting!

I was heavy weapons ninja and at all times carried a GEP gun, flamethrower, and either plasma/railgun along with complements of regular and throwing knives as well as the obligatory pepper spray for ninja vanish.

I didn't bother getting electronics since I couldn't carry any multitools and had to use LAMs and GEP rockets as my only lockpicks, but it was worth it.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Fun Times! posted:

I tried it like this and it lagged like poo poo. Tell me my integrated graphics laptop is too lovely for Deus loving Ex!

I just used the altered exe and nothing else. It helped a lot- at the least it allowed me to run the game at my native resolution. I didn't even need a new renderer or anything.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
I guess I'm the opposite. I tried the new exe by itself and the game lagged. So I reinstalled with the direct3D 9 that SwissCM posted and now it works great and looks better than the default, so I'm happy. Oh, laptop gaming.

Stump Truck
Nov 26, 2007
Why? Yes

Anatharon posted:

I have a crossbow, and he won't take it. He won't take my silenced pistol, either. I've got a Pistol, Silenced Pistol, Sniper Rifle, LAMs, a GEP, a mini-crossbow, a crowbar, a riot prod, pepper spray and a PS20.

He was never properly trained in any of their operation.

RichieWolk
Jun 4, 2004

FUCK UNIONS

UNIONS R4 DRUNKS

FUCK YOU
My roommate finally finished his first run of deus ex. He picked the illuminati ending, but I don't think he meant to, he got caught up in hacking keypads and pressing buttons.

I think it's time for me to finally download and try to play the nameless mod.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

RichieWolk posted:

My roommate finally finished his first run of deus ex. He picked the illuminati ending, but I don't think he meant to, he got caught up in hacking keypads and pressing buttons.

I think it's time for me to finally download and try to play the nameless mod.

Everyone keeps talking about which ending they picked on their first run. Did no one else clear out the entire level and create a save file that only needs a single action to complete each ending?

Subsequent runs were never about getting a new ending; they were about different styles of play. Actually, the second run was about recreating that save file but with Paul alive. :cool:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Derek Dominoe posted:

Everyone keeps talking about which ending they picked on their first run. Did no one else clear out the entire level and create a save file that only needs a single action to complete each ending?

I certainly did this, but I guess others have too and we're just talking about a 'preferred' ending (maybe?).

Tapatio
Aug 5, 2011

by Fistgrrl
Mega 64 is going to get arrested one day.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Tapatio posted:

Mega 64 is going to get arrested one day.
"The State of Illinois vs. Captain Basch von Ronsenburg of Dalmasca is now in session. All rise..."

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
So how hard is it to save Paul in the 'ton? He keeps disappearing which I assume means he got blowd up.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

gender illusionist posted:

So how hard is it to save Paul in the 'ton? He keeps disappearing which I assume means he got blowd up.

If you leave out the window, he dies. Simple as that. If he disappears and there's no body or anything then he got away. If YOU die in the 'Ton then he still survives.

Page Downfall
May 5, 2009

RichieWolk posted:

How unprofessional.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Dr Snofeld posted:

If you leave out the window, he dies. Simple as that. If he disappears and there's no body or anything then he got away. If YOU die in the 'Ton then he still survives.

If you have Biomod installed like you should (or Shifter but you should install Biomod instead) then leaving through the window doesn't automatically kill him; he only dies if you leave without fighting UNATCO off first. In vanilla, there's a bug whereby leaving through the window kills him regardless, which is fixed in Shifter/Biomod.

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

Lemon Curdistan posted:

If you have Biomod installed like you should
It's time to stop this

shao kong posted:

I was heavy weapons ninja and at all times carried a GEP gun, flamethrower, and either plasma/railgun along with complements of regular and throwing knives as well as the obligatory pepper spray for ninja vanish.

I didn't bother getting electronics since I couldn't carry any multitools and had to use LAMs and GEP rockets as my only lockpicks, but it was worth it.
It was a while ago but IIRC I used Flamethrower, GEP, Plasma Rifle. Lockpicks, Multitools, Medkits, Biocells, Pistol, Mini Crossbow. No melee weapon is a pain but does encourage creative crate-breaking.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Iggles posted:

It was a while ago but IIRC I used Flamethrower, GEP, Plasma Rifle. Lockpicks, Multitools, Medkits, Biocells, Pistol, Mini Crossbow. No melee weapon is a pain but does encourage creative crate-breaking.

Let me guess, you used the GEP gun for all your crate opening?

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
Allegedly (and this is from Warren Spector himself, so take that however you want), if you kill every single enemy in the 'Ton, including the two guys at the entrance, who are very easy to miss if you don't actually intend to leave that way, and then leave through the back window, he lives.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Iggles posted:

It's time to stop this

I really, really hate how the final build of Biomod actually removes functionality by removing Shifter's combat experience and gimping your jump height.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Lork posted:

Allegedly (and this is from Warren Spector himself, so take that however you want), if you kill every single enemy in the 'Ton, including the two guys at the entrance, who are very easy to miss if you don't actually intend to leave that way, and then leave through the back window, he lives.

If memory serves, the check the game does is a simple Window: yes/no one.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Iggles posted:

It's time to stop this

No, it's really not. For as long as people continue to stupidly insist that first playthroughs should be done vanilla or with Shifter, I will continue to insist that people use Biomod.

Gadaffi Duck
Jan 1, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Lemon Curdistan posted:

No, it's really not. For as long as people continue to stupidly insist that first playthroughs should be done vanilla or with Shifter, I will continue to insist that people use Biomod.

And as long as you keep threadshitting I'm sure people will continue to pretend that Biomod doesn't exist.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Yeah, great idea. Tell people who have no actual reference, experience, or expectations of what the mods really change to play on a modded version their first time. :thumbsup:

To those who are worried: Deus Ex vanilla fully patched up is a perfectly fine game and the game became legendary without any mods so feel free to play through it at least once unmodded. It'll let you appreciate any mods you slap on so much more.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Madman Theory posted:

And as long as you keep threadshitting I'm sure people will continue to pretend that Biomod doesn't exist.
I quite liked Biomod. It's pretty close to vanilla Deus Ex, while fixing some issues. The only thing I didn't like about it is how worthless it makes Regeneration, but playing on Realistic means you're generally dead in one hit anyway. Playing with Biomod on is really close to playing the original game.

Gadaffi Duck
Jan 1, 2011

by Ozmaugh
I'm not saying Biomod's bad, I'm saying Lemon Curdistan should probably stop turning tricks for it.

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

Sam. posted:

Let me guess, you used the GEP gun for all your crate opening?
Nothing so wasteful! Throwing crates from a height, onto burning barrels, jumping on them, flare darts, throwing things at them, throwing explosive things at them, hiding behind them when being shot at

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010
I never liked how Shifter gave experience for kills, so I was pretty glad when it was removed. Mantling should be available by default though, it feels like adding poo poo for its own sake. Or perhaps to justify that athletics skill that otherwise might as well not exist.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Positronic Spleen posted:

I never liked how Shifter gave experience for kills, so I was pretty glad when it was removed. Mantling should be available by default though, it feels like adding poo poo for its own sake. Or perhaps to justify that athletics skill that otherwise might as well not exist.

The best solution would be to let people pick which changes they want, whether through an installer or by editing a text file. That was people can just play what they want rather than the mod's creator being the supreme god of game balance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RichieWolk
Jun 4, 2004

FUCK UNIONS

UNIONS R4 DRUNKS

FUCK YOU

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I think I actually like shifter better than biomod. Biomod did a lot of cool stuff, but the one deciding factor is skill points for performing stealthy things or kills. It's the little skillbumps that keep you going, like little digital drugbursts.