Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
niff
Jul 4, 2010
i just preordered a game for the first time in a long time. i am giddy like the first time i played deus ex. oh no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

The Hebug posted:

Does anyone know where the beta stores its save files? I can't seem to find it in the usual places.

*Drive*:\Admin\Appdata\Local\ALI213 (for me anyway).

The Appdata folder is usually set to hidden so you'll need to un-hide it.

--

Count me among the people who played the Beta as a demo of sorts, then shortly into it pre-ordered the game.

I'm on my 3rd run through the demo and as great as I can tell this game is going to be, based on some of the stuff in the Beta I do wish some of the decisions weren't so black and white.
I also noticed the game doesn't always read certain situations correctly: I slaughtered all the hostages except for one, but then it said they were all dead and were killed by the gas bomb. Another example is on that same level I murdered all the Swat and wasn't treated differently for doing so. Same applies to killing innocent people and police in the city. Did this change since or does it remain like this?

Regardless of the very minor complaints I have coming from a beta that's pretty old at this point, I'm really looking forward to the full game.
Why does it have to be another week :(

Swartz fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Aug 17, 2011

Hotwire
Mar 11, 2006

hehehe

Tecman posted:

edit: ....gently caress.
http://support.eu.square-enix.com/faqarticle.php?kid=59795&ret=main&id=2134&la=2&pv=20&SQEXSC=7qllfsuh1m4mt4363djgb80jn3

Are there any regional restrictions in the PC version of Deus Ex: Human Revolution?
:siren: The PC version of Deus Ex: Human Revolution is region-locked. :siren:
Please be sure to purchase a copy from your own region, otherwise you might not be able to register the game.
If you should not be able to register your copy due to a region conflict, please return the game to your retailer. Square Enix cannot offer assistance in replacing incompatible registration codes.

The problem right now is that they don't tell us exactly which regions are restricted. For the Green Man Gaming purchase krew, you guys are safe. http://forums.greenmangaming.com/topic/434/

This is from an email response: http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpost.php?p=1649303&postcount=17

Languages - English
Release Region - UK Only
Steam Account Region - UK Only

Languages - English
Release Region - Outside of UK
Steam Account Region - EU, but NOT UK, Russia or Poland

Languages - French, Italian, German, Spanish
Release Region - Outside of UK
Steam Account Region - EU, but NOT UK, Russia or Poland

Languages - Russian, Polish
Release Region - Russia/Poland
Steam Account Region - Russia/Poland Only

Talk is around that region locking is apparently only for boxed copies, if I get it gifted to me on steam from someone in the US while I'm in the UK, it'll still be fine, right?

Hotwire fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Aug 17, 2011

RichieWolk
Jun 4, 2004

FUCK UNIONS

UNIONS R4 DRUNKS

FUCK YOU

Swartz posted:

I also noticed the game doesn't always read certain situations correctly: I slaughtered all the hostages except for one, but then it said they were all dead and were killed by the gas bomb. Another example is on that same level I murdered all the Swat and wasn't treated differently for doing so. Same applies to killing innocent people and police in the city. Did this change since or does it remain like this?

If you don't get caught, you don't get in trouble. Dead men tell no tales.

acidreflux
Oct 11, 2010
Did someone say Dogmentation?

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

Jenova Project posted:

What about Sega? Didn't they do Alpha Protocol, with Obsidian developing it?

Sega is publishing Colonial Marines. Sony has published so many western games that some people have trouble thinking of them as Japanese. Nintendo currently has Retro and Next Level Games as first part party studios (and formerly Rare). It is far less unusual for a Japanese company to be the primary publisher of a western studio than for a western publisher to be the primary publisher of a japanese studio.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

Also I remember someone around here saying that Capcom's micromanaging of DMC is what made Dante look like a heroin addict. I heard similar stories about Troy Musou's development. If Japanese publishers can just fund western devs and then stay out of their way, that is a big step forward for their gaming industry, I think.

They also might learn something about game development they can use back home, in the process.

Can we please stop this poo poo. The hysterics about a sly yellow devil Japanese publisher being involved in the project turned out to be worse than racist and unfounded: not only have multiple developers sworn up and down that the project was left completely in the hands of the studio, Square by many accounts did a fabulous job marketing the game, and if this thread is any indication built one of the most successful hype machines of any game this year.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I didn't think it was racist of me to say that at this particular point in history, western devs are stomping Japanese ones, in terms of worldwide appeal of their products. Which is why the smart publishers over there are investing in projects like this.

jcp982
Apr 5, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

I didn't think it was racist of me to say that at this particular point in history, western devs are stomping Japanese ones, in terms of worldwide appeal of their products. Which is why the smart publishers over there are investing in projects like this.

I agree. Unfounded? Sure. Worse than racist? Take it down a notch. There's no question that Western and Japanese developers have different styles.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

acidreflux posted:

Pinschers are too classy to eat from the can.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

jcp982 posted:

I agree. Unfounded? Sure. Worse than racist? Take it down a notch. There's no question that Western and Japanese developers have different styles.

You can call it whatever you want but the parade of hysterical wailing following the news of SE being involved in the project was literally predicated on a fear that they would somehow force the developers to turn Jensen into an anime.

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

spankety, spankety, spankety

acidreflux posted:

Thanks for the link!

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

Woozy posted:

You can call it whatever you want but the parade of hysterical wailing following the news of SE being involved in the project was literally predicated on a fear that they would somehow force the developers to turn Jensen into an anime.

It was really fascinating to see so many people accuse that first prerendered trailer of being brazenly, obviously anime. I wonder if they've changed their minds now that they've seen some of the exact same footage and dialogue in-game...

jcp982
Apr 5, 2011

Woozy posted:

The 'anime' thing was just a joke. The real concern is that they'd turn Deus Ex into Final Fantasy, which was silly, but not altogether an illegitimate suspicion.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Woozy posted:

Bringing up racism is stupid, and you might be projecting if that's how you choose to interpret it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Wow, I had no idea it had people had that reaction when the first trailer came out. It sure sounds to me like people were searching for any excuse to complain that this wouldn't be the Deus Ex they wanted.

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

spankety, spankety, spankety

coyo7e posted:

Pinschers are too classy to eat from the can.

jcp982
Apr 5, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

Wow, I had no idea it had people had that reaction when the first trailer came out. It sure sounds to me like people were searching for any excuse to complain that this wouldn't be the Deus Ex they wanted.

This forum has always been fine, but I have had a little smug satisfaction at watching all the angry doubters over at the Eidos forums eating their hats.

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

jcp982 posted:

This forum has always been fine, but I have had a little smug satisfaction at watching all the angry doubters over at the Eidos forums eating their hats.

You weren't around for the announcement thread, were you? It was pretty bad.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Woozy posted:

There would have been a parade of hysterical wailing if JC flew down from the sky and gave birth to the next sequel. People being worried about Square Enix handling the title is understandable however. They are known for JRPG titles, they are masters of the Japanese game market, which doesn't like most US/European CRPG style role playing games and first person shooters, based on sales and past history.

Handing this game over to them would be like handing Madden over to a team that only knows soccer as football. So based on that information people panicked, overreacted and made leaps of logic or faith. Then people played the game, got more information and realized they handled it pretty well.

And we all learned that Square Enix seems to be on the ball with this and are trying to branch out into new things and if this is an example, I for one welcome the asian invasion.

Harold Ramis Drugs
Dec 6, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Alright, I just bit the bullet and pre-ordered from gamestop. The extra mission and grenade launcher seem way more awesome than a lousy 10,000 extra credits. Though I will miss the preorder shotgun, mainly because it's stronger than the normal shotgun and it only takes up 4 inventory squares.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

AxeManiac posted:

There would have been a parade of hysterical wailing if JC flew down from the sky and gave birth to the next sequel. People being worried about Square Enix handling the title is understandable however. They are known for JRPG titles, they are masters of the Japanese game market, which doesn't like most US/European CRPG style role playing games and first person shooters, based on sales and past history.

Handing this game over to them would be like handing Madden over to a team that only knows soccer as football. So based on that information people panicked, overreacted and made leaps of logic or faith. Then people played the game, got more information and realized they handled it pretty well.

And we all learned that Square Enix seems to be on the ball with this and are trying to branch out into new things and if this is an example, I for one welcome the asian invasion.

Can you really credit Squeenix for this, though? From everything we've heard, it's entirely Eidos' doing and Square has left them alone.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Momomo posted:

Can you really credit Squeenix for this, though? From everything we've heard, it's entirely Eidos' doing and Square has left them alone.

I just meant if they want to foot the bill for anything else, I'm fine with it.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Momomo posted:

Eh, leaving the developers alone is in and of itself a thing to trumpet in any case, and one of the people on the development team mentioned in this thread that Square Enix increased the funding and development time for the game.

As shocking as it seems I think we can give them as much credit as any publisher deserves.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

RedneckwithGuns posted:

I'm really glad I decided to play the leak before getting this game next week.

I don't know when the content of the leak ends, but I went on an almost totally non-lethal route, even through the FEMA facility, and it came back to bite me in the rear end when I faced off against the gatling-gun arm guy and the only formidable weapon I had in my arsenal was the silenced sniper rifle with 17 rounds for it, and a few EMP grenades. I'll definitely do that differently next go around, along with putting a few points into increasing the size of the inventory since that was the main reason my arsenal was so tiny when I got to that point.

Dunno if spoiler is needed but whatever. I was the same boat as you, going non-lethal completely mostly putting my points into hacking with only a taser for a weapon. I had, luckily put a point into strength upgrades since so many of the vents are behind heavy objects and lucky me there were a poo poo ton of environmental objects to throw at the boss (mostly toxin poo poo but you could throw those explosive barrels between his firing sprees/regular boxes as well). I would assume the same would hold true for other bosses as well so presumably you could go through the game without a gun.

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug

Hotwire posted:

Talk is around that region locking is apparently only for boxed copies, if I get it gifted to me on steam from someone in the US while I'm in the UK, it'll still be fine, right?
Yeah, digital copies should be transferrable just fine. It's just that retail keys apparently aren't, and anybody who regularely imports games from the UK into mainland Europe due to huge pricing differences / unavailability of the product in local retail is kiiiiinda pissed right now.

:smith:

I'll go and add "boxed copies" to the op in order to avoid any confusion, thanks for reminding me. :)

Zooloo
Mar 30, 2003

just wanted to make you something beautiful
CD keys are region locked? Boo.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I wonder what is up with Namir's face. Those implant-dots on his face look randomly placed and serve no apparent purpose. They are, however, great at making him look unsettling.

I'm thinking about Ghost in the Shell and how cyborgs there are able to mask their prosthetics in artificial skin and such, so they look normal. I wonder if that's an option for some of the people in this setting, or maybe further in their future?

Tapatio
Aug 5, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Speedball posted:

I wonder what is up with Namir's face. Those implant-dots on his face look randomly placed and serve no apparent purpose. They are, however, great at making him look unsettling.

I'm thinking about Ghost in the Shell and how cyborgs there are able to mask their prosthetics in artificial skin and such, so they look normal. I wonder if that's an option for some of the people in this setting, or maybe further in their future?

BOB PAGE BOB PAGE BOB PAGE

Isko
May 20, 2008
Why does this game have to be released the first day of classes? Oh well, I'm really hyped for this game now. I hadn't been keeping track of it very much until today and after reading I decided to try out the leaked version to see how well it runs on my laptop. I was so impressed with the game that I just pre-ordered the augmented edition on steam. I am not going to play any more of the leaked version, though, so I can get the best experience.

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug
How Real Science Shaped Game "Deus Ex"'s Tech Magic
The popular game series Deus Ex taps real-world science for its latest installment of a transhuman dystopia.
( http://www.fastcompany.com/1773935/deus-ex-human-revolution-will-rosellini-mary-demarle )

Will Rosellini is a science fiction purist. So much so that when his favorite video game--Eidos Montreal's Deus Ex series--started phoning in the science, he offered to consult for free so their next venture would ring a little more true and present a plausible future of enhanced humans.

Rosellini helms a research company, the Dallas-based MicroTransponder, that develops implantable wireless neurotransmitters to help control disorders such as tinnitus, pain, stroke-induced motor loss, and post-traumatic stress. The technology uses tiny electronic devices inside the body to electrically stimulate, reset, or override faulty nerve cells.

"I was a fan of the first game, which was based on a lot of these ideas," says Rosellini, a former pitcher with the Arizona Diamondbacks, who went on to get a master's in computational biology, law degree, MBA, and, soon, PhD in neuroscience. "It's a thinking man's shooter game in the sense that it responds to a player's strategy in different ways. The second game [Deus Ex: Invisible War] was less popular, and I think one of reasons was it got lazy on the science side. When I volunteered to be a science consultant in 2008, I said, 'Let's imagine where today's research can go in 20 years.' I have a sense what'll be out in the next 10 years, so the 10 after that wasn't too difficult to extrapolate. A lot of that science is intertwined with the plot and explained within the game."

The result--Deus Ex: Human Revolution, a role-playing shooter that comes out August 23--extrapolates MicroTransponder, prosthetics, robotics, and other current augmentation technology into a vision of how technologically enhanced people might gain superhuman abilities and at what cost. Human Revolution is the third in the series, but a prequel to the first game, Deus Ex, which takes place 25 years later and features characters further augmented by nanotechnology. Human Revolution's time line is close enough--the year 2027--to plausibly depict how today's technology might evolve to optimize human performance.

"Will came along at the right time and opened our eyes to things that we didn't even dream possible," Human Revolution's lead writer Mary DeMarle told a San Diego Comic-Con audience last month. "We built a timeline that traces the history of augmentation, creating new things, and predicting how would it get out into society. We wanted to ground it in today, and make something where everyone could say, 'I can see the world going that way.'" The game's protagonist Adam Jensen works security for Sarif Industries, one of the biotechnology companies behind the futuristic tech, and becomes enhanced himself after surviving an encounter with violent intruders.

Merging real science into science fiction entertainment is an increasing trend as audiences become more tech-savvy. For the game creators, learning about existing mechanical augmentations opened up a flood of creative possibilities in character design and story. DeMarle and her team created a wish list of character abilities--such as super strength, X-ray vision, the ability to turn invisible, and high-speed healing--and tapped Rosellini to explain the science behind it to facilitate more credible incorporation into the plot.

"We would turn to Will and ask, 'How feasible is this and, if it isn't, how do we justify it from a technical or scientific basis?'" DeMarle later told Fast Company. "What was most amazing to me was that Will's response was usually akin to: 'Oh, researchers at such-and-such a university or company are already working on projects similar to that.' He would then provide us with enough scientific and technical information so we could turn around and describe, in a very technical way, how each mechanical augmentation works. So you might say that every augmentation in the game has some basis in reality--even the most far-fetched ones!"

Is The Era of Neuroprosthetic Augmentation Really Just 20 Years Away?
( http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/sciencenotfiction/2011/08/16/is-the-era-of-neuroprosthetic-augmentation-really-just-20-years-away/ )

Whenever I hear that some awesome technology is “twenty years away” my eyebrow inadvertently raises with suspicion. Cold fusion, male birth control, flying cars, and the cure for most diseases are all twenty years away. Why? Because that’s the distance at which it’s genuinely impossible to extrapolate scientific advancement. So, when Will Rosellini, the CEO and President of MicroTransponder and consultant to the team developing Deus Ex: Human Revolution, told me that neuroprosthetic augmentation was about twenty years away, I was skeptical, but intrigued.

Guessing at which technologies will come to fruition requires the ability to determine how many intermediate technologies can reasonably be attained in a given amount of time. From there, one can extrapolate and make educated suppositions about when one could reasonably expect something like a life-like prosthetic arm would be possible.

Rosellini explained his process with DX:hr: My job at Microtransponder in large part is writing near-term science fiction. I do this by combining all the failure modes from science, business, law etc…and then designing a research strategy to mitigate these risks and get new technologies into patients. With Deus Ex, I was given the task of explaining in a rigorous all of the player abilities in the game. To do this, I extrapolated where technologies would be moving in the next 20 years (to 2027, the start of the game). Most implantable neuroprosthetics take 10 years to get to market, so essentially I was forced to make 1 extra jump to foreseeable technologies.

So what are the background technologies that support this research? Are there any scary government projects with weird code names like MK-ULTRA and project ARTICHOKE that may give us some insight into where neuro-implants might be heading? You bet there are. Read on to learn about just how soon we can hope for retinal displays, neuro-integrated prosthetics, and mind-computer interfaces.

Q: Will, please tell me a little about your current experience, expertise, and the research you’ve been doing.
A: I have six advanced degrees spanning business, law, and science. Before I began these academic pursuits, I was a professional baseball pitcher in the Arizona Diamondbacks system. After retiring from baseball, I became fascinated with shrinking electronic devices to integrate into the nervous system and help patients with damaged nervous systems. To excel in this field of translational neurotechnology, I obtained the relevant business, accounting, and legal background to develop technology and raise capital for preclinical and clinical studies. While pursuing these deal-making skills, I sought the ability to evaluate the technical feasibility of neuroprosthetic systems. In particular, my degrees are an MBA, MS of Accounting, a JD, a Master’s of Computational Biology, a Master’s of Neuroscience, and a Master’s of Regulatory Science. I am in the final phases of a PhD in Neuroscience. My PhD work is focused on evaluating the safety and efficacy of a novel form of neurostimulation, called voltage-controlled capacitive discharge (VCCD), invented by Dr. Larry Cauller.

My company, Microtransponder, Inc. has been researching the therapeutic benefits of pairing Vagus Nerve Stimulation (VNS) with a variety of rehabilitation tasks to treat several neurological disorders such as tinnitus, post stroke motor rehabilitation, phantom limb pain (PLP), and post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). We have developed a method to generate long lasting and spatially restricted changes to neural circuits using paired VNS. As of July 2011, MicroTransponder has implanted 5 patients in a proof of concept Tinnitus clinical trial in Belgium and the results have been encouraging and will be discussed later in this document. We have received several NIH grants for the animal research based on the robust nature of the scientific data. Our researcher Dr. Engineer recently published a paper in Nature, regarding the paired VNS therapy and its ability to reverse the tinnitus precept in rats (Engineer et al., 2011). Our VNS pairing method was reviewed in the April 2011 issue of The New England Journal of Medicine regarding the potential of our paired VNS therapy to treat a variety of neurological disorders. Our preclinical and clinical studies suggest that targeted plasticity using paired VNS therapy would be useful in many neurological disorders such as stoke, tinnitus and phantom limb pain in which plasticity is maladaptive.

Q: How did that impact your work on Deus Ex: Human Revolution?
A: I contacted the CEO of Eidos back in 2008 and explained that I was a big fan of the game and wanted to contribute however I could. My job at Microtransponder in large part is writing near-term science fiction. I do this by combining all the failure modes from science, business, law etc…and then designing a research strategy to mitigate these risks and get new technologies into patients. With Deus Ex, I was given the task of explaining in a rigorous all of the player abilities in the game. To do this, I extrapolated where technologies would be moving in the next 20 years (to 2027, the start of the game). Most implantable neuroprosthetics take 10 years to get to market, so essentially I was forced to make 1 extra jump to foreseeable technologies.

Q: There are several technologies in the game that rely on direct connections to a person’s nervous system. If you were to make a conservative estimate, how many years away is technology like retinal displays, neuro-integrated prosthetics, and mind-computer interfaces?
A: In the 1870s, Richard Caton, a British physiologist, began a series of experiments intended to measure the electrical output of the brains of living animals. He surgically exposed the brains of rabbits, dogs, and monkeys, and then used wires to connect their brains to an instrument that measured current. “The electrical currents of the gray matter appear to have a relation to its function,” he wrote in 1875, noting that different actions — chewing, blinking, or just looking at food — were each accompanied by electrical activity. This was the first evidence that the brain’s functions could be tapped into directly, without having to be expressed in sounds, gestures, or any of the other usual ways.

Since then we have seen the wide scale adoption of cardiac pacemaker (electricity into the heart), cochlear implants (electricity into the cochlea), spinal cord stimulators (electricity into the spinal cord), deep brain stimulation and a host of other nerves are targets for activation using a battery, wire and electrode.

In a direct fashion to the game, DOD research arm, DARPA has been working on direct peripheral and cortical neural interfaces for mechanical augmentations since 2003 in the DARPA Revolutionizing Prosthetics program.

Q: The writers of Deus Ex: Human Revolution are trying to tell a story, so sticking to science may have been difficult in places. Where do you feel you took the most creative license?
A: I think there was a nice balance between science and science fiction. We took some license on invisibility cloaks and the anti-gravity implementations. However, I still spent some researching this and there is some evidence that this field will be viable at some point in our lifetime. http://www.nsf.gov/discoveries/disc_summ.jsp?cntn_id=118723&org=ENG

Q: There is a good chance that augmentations will be created by large corporations, how do you think that will impact the development of useful medical prosthetics and artificial organs?
A: This is already the case, with over 1M “augmentations” in place. Our Vice-President Dick Cheney was a cyborg (he had a cardiac neurostimulation device). More interesting will be the propensity to abuse the technology, which is the case with any advanced technology. Checkout this article detailing the underground world of neuroenhancing drugs: http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2009/04/27/090427fa_fact_talbot

The argument for implantable neuroprosthesis having the potential for abuse is not ripe yet. This is in part due to the state of the technology. As of now, no implantable is able to return all function back to the diseased nervous system. The government has the greatest potential to abuse the technology. It is now widely known that fear memories can be erased with animals. Some of that work has been done in our lab for the treatment of PTSD in soldiers (we did this in rats).

However, Project MK-ULTRA or MKULTRA is a government project that started in 1948 and studies mind control through chemical interrogation and neurostimulation. The project was first run by Sidney Gottlieb, Frank Olson and William Sargant. Although MK-ULTRA is most recognized with the LSD testing in the 1950′s and 1960′s, they have been involved with many other experiments in mind control related testing. MK-ULTRA has tested interrogation through fear of deadly animals and Subproject 54, which through “perfect concussion” tried to erase the memories of U.S. submarine crew. Some of the most secret projects in U.S. history all took place under MK-ULTRA, such as Projects Paperclip, Chatter, Bluebird and Artichoke. The usage of electric shock to the brain for the creation of amnesia with hypnosis was discussed by an ARTICHOKE document dated 3 December 1951: “[Deleted] is reported to be an authority on electric shock. He is a psychiatrist of considerable note. [Deleted] explained that electric shock might be of considerable interest to the ‘Artichoke’ type of work. He stated that the standard electric-shock machine (Reiter) could be used. He stated that using this machine with convulsive treatment, he could guarantee amnesia for certain periods of time, and particularly he could guarantee amnesia for any knowledge of use of the convulsive shock. He stated that the lower setting of the machine produced a different type of shock. When this lower current type of shock was applied without convulsion, it had the effect of making a man talk. He said that this type of shock produced in the individual excruciating pain. He stated that there would be no question that the individual would bequite willing to give information if threatened with the use of this machine. It was [Deleted]‘s opinion that an individual could gradually be reduced through the use of electro-shock treatment to the vegetable level”(P. 44).

Q: What augmentation do you think has the most potential to benefit humanity?
A: I believe our targeted plasticity using vagus nerve stimulation might be the single greatest innovation to benefit patients coming out of the labs in the next 10 years. The idea that we can harness the brain’s natural plasticity and redirect to reverse disease states is a big idea that can really help patients.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Firstly, anyone who got the Green Man Gaming deal, here's a staff quote from the forum thread about the whole thing (because they are Steam keys and not the retail boxed version):

quote:

Deus Ex: Contrary to what you may have heard, Deus Ex keys are NOT region locked and everyone will get the correct version. This has been 100% confirmed by the publisher after a conversation last night!

To quote Eidos admin, jaycw2309:
Just to be clear to everyone the region lock is just for the retail BOX copies..

Secondly, apparently the final (for Phase 1, whatever that means) update for the Deus Ex Facebook page went live sometime today:
:arghfist::what: 15 one-time use (aka was first-come, first-served) Steam codes for the Deus Ex/Deus Ex: Invisible War Combo Pack.

Also, finally, wanted to thank dudeman and Happy Blue Cow for posting! That's so cool. How far in development did they nix non-human enemies and water? Any augmentations or weapons that you wish could've been added? Obligatory reference question: Is it too late to recommend a prequel to Jacob's Shadow be hidden away somewhere?

Fake edit: Awesome to see a gang tag, more people that have money need to adopt it. :colbert:

Tapatio
Aug 5, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Isko posted:

Why does this game have to be released the first day of classes? Oh well, I'm really hyped for this game now. I hadn't been keeping track of it very much until today and after reading I decided to try out the leaked version to see how well it runs on my laptop. I was so impressed with the game that I just pre-ordered the augmented edition on steam. I am not going to play any more of the leaked version, though, so I can get the best experience.

I dropped out of college so I could play video games. Best decision I ever made.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
The only augmentation that's made me go "what" so far is the Icarus landing aug. The cloaking system is, surprisingly pretty founded in actual research. Even being able to see out of it (all of your Predator fantasies may yet come true, good goon friends).
I can't remember the paper, but there has been work explaining how a "one-way window" outside of an electromagnetic cloaking device would work, so if anyone knows the research I'm thinking of and could point me back to it, that'd be great. I swore I bookmarked it.

Also I'm still loving thrilled at their usage of EAPs oh god I love them ionic or electric I don't care they're just the best thing :swoon:

poop
Jun 20, 2009

USER FOREVER BANNED FOR DOUBTING THE FOREVER BAN

Doom Goon posted:

Firstly, anyone who got the Green Man Gaming deal, here's a staff quote from the forum thread about the whole thing (because they are Steam keys and not the retail boxed version):

Awesome, I guess I'll keep my order then. Because I want to give money to the Devs so bad, but I (generally) refuse to buy a game if it has either dumb drm, or silly regional pricing.

Doom Goon posted:

Fake edit: Awesome to see a gang tag, more people that have money need to adopt it. :colbert:

Its cool, but I could never give up serious sam club man.

e:VVV not it coolbro mods do it for you

poop fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Aug 17, 2011

Tapatio
Aug 5, 2011

by Fistgrrl
Do gang tags cost money?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

poop posted:

Its cool, but I could never give up serious sam club man.

Wait, you can only have one tag at a time? I would just make my sig two tags and no other words if I could.

Tapatio posted:

Do gang tags cost money?

Yeah, you have to buy a new title and add the [img] in.

Harold Ramis Drugs
Dec 6, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
It seems like there isn't much difference between the SMG and the combat rifle. Everything about them, even their upgrades, seems rather similar. Can anybody point out what the relevant differences between them are?

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Tecman posted:

Yeah, digital copies should be transferrable just fine. It's just that retail keys apparently aren't, and anybody who regularely imports games from the UK into mainland Europe due to huge pricing differences / unavailability of the product in local retail is kiiiiinda pissed right now.

This is, just to be clear, only something that affects PC-versions, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

AxeManiac posted:

Except that it was SE Europe that acquired Eidos (reminder that on the list of people currently responsible for loving up the property, Ion Storm devs are at the very top so it's possible that Westerners don't actually know everything), and even still the idea of a publisher coming on and taking a game that has a good chance of being successful in the much larger Western market and deliberately turning it into a niche genre that even actual Japanese developers won't touch anymore is just crazy retarded.

For a while there it was like we came full circle and were back to the old cyberpunk thing were the going worry of the day was that Japanese megacorporations were taking over the world. :psyduck:

• Locked thread