Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Vintersorg posted:

Let me see if I can find out, at work right now.

EDIT: All they have is the Martha Stewart stuff online. I cannot locate what I bought. :( Might be store only.

I'll measure it today.

No worries, I work right by a Home Depot, so I'm going by after work. That looks exactly like what I wanted, and there's no Ikea near me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

Thom and the Heads posted:

How big is that compared to the Expedit's? I'm looking for some record storage for my dorm room that will be big enough to hold my TT/receiver on top.

Expedits come in very similar size, the cubby holes are 13x13 IIRC for Ikea Expedit and those look square with the same spacing around records. I have a 5x5 Expedit.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Note: I went by my local Home Depot and they didn't have anything that looked like what he posted, just the Martha Stewart cubes he mentioned. And those squares are only about 10.5" :( I went by Target and Lowes as well, and apparently someone sent out a memo saying "Hey, if you're making cube shelves, that have to be under 12" square for some reason"

Oh well, guess I'll drive the hour and a half to Ikea.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

QPZIL posted:

Guess I'll drive the hour and a half to Ikea and get some :krad: Swedish meatballs!

Fixed that for ya. When we drive by Palo Alto my GF usually insists we stop when she spots Ikea so we can get lunch.

durk onion
Oct 25, 2010

QPZIL posted:

Note: I went by my local Home Depot and they didn't have anything that looked like what he posted, just the Martha Stewart cubes he mentioned. And those squares are only about 10.5" :( I went by Target and Lowes as well, and apparently someone sent out a memo saying "Hey, if you're making cube shelves, that have to be under 12" square for some reason"

Oh well, guess I'll drive the hour and a half to Ikea.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000O1FROO/ref=ox_ya_os_product

These are what I ended up getting. It looks very similar to what you are looking for.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
My albums have been sitting in a box in my closet for far too long. I've decided it's time to buy a nice table so I can listen to them. My current Onkyo receiver doesn't have a phono input, so I'm guessing if I get a vintage TT I'll need a preamp.... I've been looking at vintage stuff on ebay and I've also been considering the new Audio Technica ATLP-120 or perhaps the Sony PSLX350H (although I'd need a preamp that that one too)

The problem is, I know nothing about turntables, not really. My only listening during high school was on an old BSR record changer I had gotten from my uncle.

Here's a few of the tables I've spied on eBay:

JVC AL-8158 (I think this must be a AL-A158 because that's all that comes up when Googling)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/230661768095?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Sony PS-LX33
http://www.ebay.com/itm/250878423726?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

I've also always been intrigued by the idea of a linear tracking turntable. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing

Sansui P-L51
http://www.ebay.com/itm/220834155463?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Sherwood ST-903
http://www.ebay.com/itm/250878415506?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Would I be better off just biting the bullet and buying the AT-LP120 or the Sony PSLX350H and not having to get a preamp or would I be happier with a cheaper used table and a preamp? Which would last me longer? Will the older stuff give me better sound than the newer stuff?

echobucket fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Aug 22, 2011

BattleHork
Nov 1, 2005

MMMM, MANDOM.

echobucket posted:

Stuff
Many of the reviews on Amazon say the Sony PSLX350H has issues holding speed, so I'd stay away from that one.

The AT-LP120 is probably the best new "budget" table. Anything else from a respectable brand will be at least $100 more. And require a phono preamp anyway.

As for the ebay links, I can't speak to any of these specifically but:
The Sherwood comes with a Grado cartridge, which would more than likely be much better than that of any of the rest. Which is good, since with linear trackers you're limited to P-mount cartridges. According to Google it takes a Grado Blue replacement stylus.
That Sony may be a solid choice; it uses a standard cartridge mount so you can easily upgrade that later if you want. The JVC and the Sansui look too plasticy.

BattleHork fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Aug 22, 2011

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Newbies should stay away from linear tracking tables in my opinion. And don't buy ALMOST fully functional tables.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
I think I'll stick with the ATLP-120 then, I figure I'll have fewer problems with a new table, especially being a noob to all this. I read somewhere on here that the one with USB built in degrades the sound quality somewhat. Is this true or more of a "Don't you dare put no USB in MY turntable!" kind of thing?

I have an iMac I'll probably be hooking this up to from time to time in order to rip some of my rarer albums into digital files, so I wasn't sure if the USB would help or just complicate things.. With the preamp built-in I should be able to just go straight into the line in on the iMac right? Will this produce better or worse quality than using the USB connector?

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
The USB thing only exists because some people are too stupid to realise they probably already have five RCA to 3.5mm stereo cables already lying around the house.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Some linear arm players offer superior tracking ability. Some. I wouldn't suggest getting one without research.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
Almost all Technics LT tables will require a re-greasing at this point. It's not really a newbie task.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
Found a guy on craigslist that has two NEW in the box Perpetuum-Ebner 2035 Turntables. He's opened one to keep and selling the other one for $200.

Anyone know about these?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

echobucket posted:

Found a guy on craigslist that has two NEW in the box Perpetuum-Ebner 2035 Turntables. He's opened one to keep and selling the other one for $200.

Anyone know about these?

I'd buy it (because I just got paid). I have a Perpetuum Ebner 2001 which is built like a tank (but unfortunately doesn't take a ½" mount pick-up). Vinylengine has both the user's guide and service manual for download to registered users.

If it's just the record player, you'll need a plinth but it's fairly easy to make. You'll likely also need to clean and re-lubricate the changer mechanism because it's been 40000 years, man.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Jerry Cotton posted:

I'd buy it (because I just got paid). I have a Perpetuum Ebner 2001 which is built like a tank (but unfortunately doesn't take a ½" mount pick-up). Vinylengine has both the user's guide and service manual for download to registered users.

If it's just the record player, you'll need a plinth but it's fairly easy to make. You'll likely also need to clean and re-lubricate the changer mechanism because it's been 40000 years, man.

He says it's the player, the base and the dust cover new in boxes. How would this compare to more modern tables in terms of build quality and audio quality?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

echobucket posted:

He says it's the player, the base and the dust cover new in boxes. How would this compare to more modern tables in terms of build quality and audio quality?

With a suitable pick-up, I'm fairly sure it would beat the pants off anything you could get from the shops for 200 USD, audio quality-wise. Build quality will not be a problem.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
I just got in touch with the guy with the P&E table, I'm totally going to look at it this afternoon. I'm probably going to do an unboxing video (LOL) and I'll post it up here along with photos if I get it.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What's the general consensus on the Thorens TD-160? I'm seeing one for cheaper than the LP-120 I was gonna get and was wondering if it's a good table.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

echobucket posted:

I just got in touch with the guy with the P&E table, I'm totally going to look at it this afternoon. I'm probably going to do an unboxing video (LOL) and I'll post it up here along with photos if I get it.

Okay, so I went and looked at the P&E and I decided against getting it. Although it looked and sounded great, I didn't realize it didn't include a cartridge, in addition his table was acting pretty flakey, most of the automatic functions weren't working and the hydraulic lever for the tone arm didn't work at all. I just kind of decided this was out of my league, I didn't really want something I would have to fiddle with and baby a lot just to listen to my records.

Here's the ad, in case anyone else is interested in it and might be around the central arkansas area.

http://littlerock.craigslist.org/ele/2558525449.html

Funeral Pudding
Jun 20, 2006
My pal the tortoise, fast does he go?

Stuntman posted:

What's the general consensus on the Thorens TD-160? I'm seeing one for cheaper than the LP-120 I was gonna get and was wondering if it's a good table.

TD-160 is a nice table and is leaps and bounds above an LP-120.

Be aware, however, that there is some work involved in getting an old Thorens up and running properly. If the table hasn't been serviced recently, you'll need to replace the belt, clean and re-lube the bearing, adjust the suspension springs, etc. Fixing up a Thorens isn't that difficult, and there are lots of guides online, but be aware that you will either have to put in the work yourself or pay someone else to do it.

Also, here is a guide showing you what to look for to avoid buying a Thorens with problems:
http://www.theanalogdept.com/things_to_check.htm

Analog Dept. also has lots of good information about setting up and servicing Thorens turntables, which you will find useful if you do decide to go for the 160.

Funeral Pudding fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Aug 24, 2011

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

echobucket posted:

Okay, so I went and looked at the P&E and I decided against getting it. Although it looked and sounded great, I didn't realize it didn't include a cartridge, in addition his table was acting pretty flakey, most of the automatic functions weren't working and the hydraulic lever for the tone arm didn't work at all. I just kind of decided this was out of my league, I didn't really want something I would have to fiddle with and baby a lot just to listen to my records.

Here's the ad, in case anyone else is interested in it and might be around the central arkansas area.

http://littlerock.craigslist.org/ele/2558525449.html

Like I said, probably needs re-lubrication after all these years. While it's highly unlikely that it's actually broken in a strict sense of the word, I guess it really isn't the best choice for someone just looking for a vinyl fix :)

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Jerry Cotton posted:

Like I said, probably needs re-lubrication after all these years. While it's highly unlikely that it's actually broken in a strict sense of the word, I guess it really isn't the best choice for someone just looking for a vinyl fix :)

Yeah, this guy didn't even care about the automatic stuff, I did tell him about the manuals on vinylengine.com though.

I just decided it wasn't for me.

So I ordered an AT-LP120 this morning. :)

Kurt Bonguhit
Oct 15, 2007

So it goes.
I've owned an AT-LP120 for about four months now and it's treated me very well. It's not as nice as a Technics SL-1200 as far as finish and build quality goes, but it's probably the nicest "knockoff" of anything I've ever used and it works as well as the well-serviced SL-1200 my friend uses at his radio station job. I did buy one from LPgear with a nicer stylus installed that came with some fancy mat thing, but I'd still recommend a stock one as long as one puts on a new stylus as that's the only real complaint I've ever read about it.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
I always recommend finding a technics sl1200mk2 it's a table that can really grow with you. It has the largest and most active community and is amazing out of the box. If you decide you want to put more money into it later there are a ton of mods that you can do to make it even better. I paid $300 for mine, my only caution is to find one that still has a dustcover, as you can never be sure how hard a DJs table has been spun.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Kurt Bonguhit posted:

I've owned an AT-LP120 for about four months now and it's treated me very well. It's not as nice as a Technics SL-1200 as far as finish and build quality goes, but it's probably the nicest "knockoff" of anything I've ever used and it works as well as the well-serviced SL-1200 my friend uses at his radio station job. I did buy one from LPgear with a nicer stylus installed that came with some fancy mat thing, but I'd still recommend a stock one as long as one puts on a new stylus as that's the only real complaint I've ever read about it.

The stock pick-up has a spherical cut stylus so that if someone does some back-cueing, it wont go all to hell. It's not a very good DJ cart and it's not a very good hi-fi cart.

If you're going to make a knock-off, it doesn't hurt to copy the best. Of course, four months is not really long enough to pass judgement on the build or general quality of a record player. But I hope it continues to perform well!

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Aug 24, 2011

Funeral Pudding
Jun 20, 2006
My pal the tortoise, fast does he go?
I owned an earlier version of the LP-120 (PL-120 maybe? Same as the current model but no USB or built-in preamp) for a few years and had a lot of problems with it. Light and resonant platter, mediocre speed stability (especially for a DD), low quality tonearm wiring, crappy tonearm bearings with a lot of play and barely functional anti-skate. It certainly looked like an SL-1200, but the similarities pretty much ended there. One day the power supply blew out with a cloud of smoke and that was the end of it.

I keep hearing good things though, so maybe they've sorted out some of these issues with the newer models? I hope so, because it's one of the only new players on the market that supports 78 RPM. I mostly used mine for 78s, and it was definitely sufficient for that.

Funeral Pudding fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Aug 25, 2011

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
Anyone had the KAB 78 rpm mod done to their SL-1200? I'm seriously considering it. Then I will only need the one turntable for everything. Well except the 16 2/3rpms.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Funeral Pudding posted:

I owned an earlier version of the LP-120 (PL-120 maybe? Same as the current model but no USB or built-in preamp) for a few years and had a lot of problems with it. Light and resonant platter, mediocre speed stability (especially for a DD), low quality tonearm wiring, crappy tonearm bearings with a lot of play and barely functional anti-skate. It certainly looked like an SL-1200, but the similarities pretty much ended there. One day the power supply blew out with a cloud of smoke and that was the end of it.

I keep hearing good things though, so maybe they've sorted out some of these issues with the newer models? I hope so, because it's one of the only new players on the market that supports 78 RPM. I mostly used mine for 78s, and it was definitely sufficient for that.

I have seen reviews by people who have had problems but they seem to be in the minority. I haven't seen anyone come up with a half-decent alternative, though. I've used AT 120s (don't remember which model specifically) for professional purposes and they're certainly better built than Omnitronics, for instance. (Also, there's such a thing as a warranty.)

Although an Omnitronic player may well last for years in home use (mine did). You won't know unless you try :)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ron Burgundy posted:

Anyone had the KAB 78 rpm mod done to their SL-1200? I'm seriously considering it. Then I will only need the one turntable for everything. Well except the 16 2/3rpms.

What about the 80-90 RPM ones?

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
The stock 8% pitch fader will get me to 84, but it's not a big deal for me.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
Gah, so I ordered a "AT-PL120" from amazon.com, from beach camera. I ordered this specifically so I would get the version without USB.

and I just got a shipping notice that says this:

Beach Camera posted:

ATATPL120 Audio-Technica AT-PL120 Professional USB Stereo Turntable 1

:wtc:

The model number on the USB one is supposed to be AT-LP120-USB.... so I don't know what the heck is going on there.

Disciple of Pain
Dec 4, 2005
I love music that was made to be pressed onto vinyl. I grew up listening to my dad play vinyl (even still, when we are well out of the era where it is normal even for guys his age).

However, I've never owned a record player. I've been playing digital audio through a reasonable but far from good Aiwa all-in-one system (its supposedly like 500W or something, so it was shocking to see the receivers I was looking at rated at 45W or whatever... heh... Now I know)...

I decided some time ago that I wanted to have a "big boy" stereo system like my dad has/had - with a turntable and vintage speakers and receiver. Play the music I like that way it was meant to be enjoyed.

Yesterday I found a guy selling vintage receivers and speakers. I talked him down from his ad price and he was a cool guy. Nothing was super rare or anything, but it will be a good start.

I've got:

Sansui 221 receiver / FM tuner
Pioneer PL1120 turntable (I need a stylus for this - will any one fit?)
A pair of Bose 501s that are in good condition appearance-wise, but excellent operating condition.
A pair of "Maximus" bookshelf speakers that he threw in that are pretty old looking but seem to be in excellent operating condition.

My dad is going to give me his old Marantz receiver, which is probably a bit higher wattage / better than the Sansui - but it will do until then.

Am I correct in assuming this has a tube amplifier? It seems like it would be and when you shut it off, you can hear the sound basically fades out instead of just clicking off (I figure this is a tube characteristic).

How do I find out what kind of stylus / replacement will fit my tone arm?

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Are you asking if the Sansui 221 or Marantz is tube? The Sansui is solid state.

Paperweight
Jan 17, 2007
Am I doing this right?
Marantz made tube stuff up until the mid 60s and switched over to solid state like everyone else. It was cheaper to make and it was the wave of the future.

If it is a vacuum tube receiver, you should be able to see the orange glow of the filaments through the vents. If nothing else, a quick Google search of the model number should tell you everything you need to know.

Edit: Most vacuum tube receivers had maybe 20-40 watts tops. More power would require larger output transformers, a larger cabinet with more ventilation etc. It wouldn't be a compact all in one unit.

Edit 2: The long fade out means you have high values of filter capacitance. They hold a charge and release it when the supply voltage dips. When it's shut off, the transistor or vacuum tubes will run for several seconds off of the charge of these capacitors. Some newer solid state amps have relays that connect the output section to the speakers. When the power is switched off, the relay snaps open almost instantly, thus the reason the sound turns off instead of fading out. Early solid state had very little output protection circuits, relays and stuff like that.

Paperweight fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Aug 28, 2011

thebigpicture
Nov 14, 2007
Just picked up a Pioneer SX-750 and a pair of Infinity Qa speakers from craigslist. Agenda for tomorrow is to find a decent turntable. Really excited about this - although I am getting the same feeling I about acquiring guitars, amps, and effects. Need to suppress the acquisition syndrome.

Here is a pic of the Pioneer.

Fake edit: Just saw a Pioneer PL-A45D turntable on craigslist for $70 - new belt installed last month, cleaned and lubed, Shure with Hi Track cartridge. Seems to be an OK price and decent reviews on Audiokarma. Any thoughts?

thecopsarehere
Jul 25, 2008

Disciple of Pain posted:

Am I correct in assuming this has a tube amplifier? It seems like it would be and when you shut it off, you can hear the sound basically fades out instead of just clicking off (I figure this is a tube characteristic).

My Sansui 1000x receiver does this and it's definitely a solid state.

Disciple of Pain
Dec 4, 2005
Well I have everything set up and it sounds amazing. I've also quickly fallen in love with my local record store. I could spend hours there, they have listening stations for previewing used vinyl - and in general they're just awesome.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
Got my AT-LP120-USB in over the weekend. I wasn't the AT-PL120 :( Beach Camera was advertising it wrong. I think it sounds pretty good though, I'm no audiophile so I'm happy and it's really been fun listening to all my old stuff that's been in the closet for years.

I took a fun photo of my turntable. Playing my mint quality Jethro Tull Thick as a Brick

I also picked up this at Target to hold my records.

echobucket fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Aug 29, 2011

thebigpicture
Nov 14, 2007
Well, I picked up that turntable today.

Pioneer PL-A45D, playing the Duane Allman anthology.

Back to listening!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

echobucket posted:

I also picked up this at Target to hold my records.

This looks like exactly what I'm looking for! Do you remember the model/price? Can the records stand up straight in the cubes?

I swear it's impossible to find cube-style storage that can A) fit records and B) isn't Ikea.