Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Skeezy posted:

So I ended up trading my EVO up for a Nexus S. For future reference are there any specific roms or anything that are good for it? Anything specific.

My favorite was OpenSoju - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1080009 - but his website's down right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aude omnia
Nov 14, 2004

Tornhelm posted:

More specifically the ROM you installed is using the Voodoo Lagfix method. Just let it run and in time it'll boot into the OS (its a once of - after that the phone should be a bit more responsive). It generally isn't needed as much with the latter roms that Samsung put out, but the earlier ones could get pretty laggy without converting the partitions.
It is, ironically, the F1 Galaxy S II V6 ROM. I gave it some time and now it boots up all the way, but a bunch of force close dialogs crowd the screen- things like LogProvider and Android.process.media. I dismiss them but they return, and I can't dismiss them all. Any ideas how to address this?

(I see now that it's a Gingerbread ROM and I need the bootloader- will try using Odin to get the bootloader onto the phone.)

aude omnia fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Aug 17, 2011

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
Dumb question: if I root my Incredible 2 and a hardware failure occurs (like the mic stops functioning or something) will Verizon tell me to screw off if I take it in for warranty repair?

As far as I can tell there's no way to unroot the device

Black_Plague22
Apr 4, 2006
JA?!
I don't know if this will help anyone, but after I fried my previous sdcard and bought a new one, I was able to access it in Android, but not recovery, it would say no sdcard found.

I was able to fix it by formatting it with the formatting tool from sdcard.org.

CM7 Fascinate using CWM 4.0, for reference.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
Do I REALLY have to sit here and hit Install/Done for every single app in Titanium backup? Holy poo poo I'm gonna be doing this all night long.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

FlyingCheese posted:

Do I REALLY have to sit here and hit Install/Done for every single app in Titanium backup? Holy poo poo I'm gonna be doing this all night long.

The paid version lets you do it in batch mode. :ssh:

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

FlyingCheese posted:

Don't be cheap and buy the app. the paid version isn't like that.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

aude omnia posted:

It is, ironically, the F1 Galaxy S II V6 ROM. I gave it some time and now it boots up all the way, but a bunch of force close dialogs crowd the screen- things like LogProvider and Android.process.media. I dismiss them but they return, and I can't dismiss them all. Any ideas how to address this?

(I see now that it's a Gingerbread ROM and I need the bootloader- will try using Odin to get the bootloader onto the phone.)

The force closes are because you didn't do the full wipe portion (data/cache/dalvik cache). Go into recovery mode, wipe the caches and reinstall and you shouldn't get any more force closes. You might need to disable the lagfix first (you make a folder called "disable lagfix" in the voodoo folder and reboot) but it'll probably work fine without doing that.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

anakha posted:

The paid version lets you do it in batch mode. :ssh:

Oh ok. I had no idea. Thanks.

1997 posted:

Don't be cheap and buy the app. the paid version isn't like that.

Well aren't you a smarmy little thing, huh?

dohminator
Oct 5, 2004

They can take our dignity. They can take all the hot women. But they will NOT take our jobs. And they will NEVER take our store!
Well, I was just going to complain about titanium backup not working, but it is now, which leaves me free to explore other options for roms.

I just installed my first rom last Friday, which seemed ok, but the battery life hasn't turned out as spectacular for me as some people are finding, and I really want to focus more on customizing the entire experience a bit more.

Are there any downsides to going to cyanogen due to it not using the gingerbread kernel? Will I notice a difference? Should I just look at switching to a different gingerbread rom? Are there any roms where the camera app doesn't suck?

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

So I'm fully rooted my Evo3D and restored via titanium. All my apps are in place but I've run into a couple of odd issues. I'm running stock firmware.

#1: the Phone icon on my lock screen is gone. In fact there's no icon there at all, just a circle. I went into the lockscreen settings and tried to put it back but it refuses to put the phone app in that slot on the lockscreen. Any ideas why? It lets me put any other app there but the Phone app.

#2: I had my contacts synced with facebook for pictures and now it won't sync at all. This one is not nearly as important but ya know, it was a nice feature.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Web Jew.0 posted:

Skeezy posted:

So I ended up trading my EVO up for a Nexus S. For future reference are there any specific roms or anything that are good for it? Anything specific.
My favorite was OpenSoju - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1080009 - but his website's down right now.
Be careful, there is a difference between the Nexus S and the Nexus S 4G (which I assume you have).

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
I just wanted to post saying the 1.6.1 rc of cyanogenmod for the thunderbolt made a huge rear end difference in battery life and responsiveness.

Recycled Karma
Jul 16, 2004
Grimey Drawer

FlyingCheese posted:

#1: the Phone icon on my lock screen is gone. In fact there's no icon there at all, just a circle. I went into the lockscreen settings and tried to put it back but it refuses to put the phone app in that slot on the lockscreen. Any ideas why? It lets me put any other app there but the Phone app.

I had this happen and a reboot fixed it.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
That was also a bug fixed in one of the ota updates from day 1 or 2.

fudsak
Feb 4, 2004

nickhimself posted:

I just wanted to post saying the 1.6.1 rc of cyanogenmod for the thunderbolt made a huge rear end difference in battery life and responsiveness.

Have you encountered any bugs using it? I might try to get this on my parents' phones but I don't want to hear about things not working for the rest of my life.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS

fudsak posted:

Have you encountered any bugs using it? I might try to get this on my parents' phones but I don't want to hear about things not working for the rest of my life.

I haven't noticed anything yet.

Things I DID notice that have made a huge difference:

- The lockscreen unlock is nearly instant compared to the slow bullshit the previous builds were giving me.

- In-call audio seems to have been fixed. I can actually hear people now.

- Radio control seems much better. My phone won't try to commit suicide every time I unplug it by switching radios non-stop and trying its damndest to sync whatever it's trying to sync.

I haven't had a random reboot yet either, so that's also an improvement. Though to be honest, ever since I rooted and loaded the first CM7 build available at the time the reboots have dropped off dramatically. Stock reboots are ridiculous.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

big mean giraffe posted:

That was also a bug fixed in one of the ota updates from day 1 or 2.

Weird because I did all the OTA's before I rooted it. This only cropped up post-root and I didn't install any custom ROMS. Just stock.

I rebooted before to fix that bug but I'm trying again now.

Edit: rebooting didn't fix it. :(

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

nickhimself posted:

Where did you download it from? I'm not seeing anything for the thunderbolt on cyanogenmod.com

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

DigitalMocking posted:

Where did you download it from? I'm not seeing anything for the thunderbolt on cyanogenmod.com

http://rootzwiki.com/showthread.php?t=392

The developer has abandoned XDA completely.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

FlyingCheese posted:

Weird because I did all the OTA's before I rooted it. This only cropped up post-root and I didn't install any custom ROMS. Just stock.

I rebooted before to fix that bug but I'm trying again now.

Edit: rebooting didn't fix it. :(
Did you try disabling Fast Boot in Settings->Power?

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Just rooted my Evo 4G via Revolutionary with no problems :cheers:

eightysixed fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 17, 2011

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

SLOSifl posted:

Did you try disabling Fast Boot in Settings->Power?

Yes. Fully shut down (removed battery) too. Still not there.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
Inspire 4G/Desire HD users: I've been using this ROM Virtuous Unity for a couple weeks now, and I have to say, it's the best Sense-based ROM I've come across. If you're wanting to give Sense 3.0 a look, this is really the best ROM for it.

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK

FlyingCheese posted:

Yes. Fully shut down (removed battery) too. Still not there.

When you restored with Titanium Backup, did you restore any system data or just apps?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

nickhimself posted:

I haven't noticed anything yet.

Things I DID notice that have made a huge difference:

- The lockscreen unlock is nearly instant compared to the slow bullshit the previous builds were giving me.

Mine is still doing the goofy slow unlock.

Did you do a full wipe before flashing up to 1.6.1? I didn't, could that make a difference?

lignicolos
Dec 6, 2001

kitten smoothie posted:

Mine is still doing the goofy slow unlock.

Did you do a full wipe before flashing up to 1.6.1? I didn't, could that make a difference?

This apparently has to do with brightness being set to automatic. Apparently when you disable automatic brightness the lock screen doesn't do the slow lag stuff. I don't know if there's a fix in the works or not. Anyway, it certainly isn't a very elegant solution the problem.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

Ok, so I'm going to start this off by saying that this is all my fault, and should probably have but I rooted my Desire a few days ago, and I think I'd rather just go back to stock. I can see the advantages, but I don't think I'm the kind of user that needs them.

I've been looking online, but nothing really gives me any indication of how to go from CM7 to stock, 2.2 or whatever, as my phone came.

What do I need to do?

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Krittick posted:

When you restored with Titanium Backup, did you restore any system data or just apps?

I think I might have restored system data too. I'm guessing this is where I messed up.

How do I fix it?

Edit: Cleared data and restored from backup (just apps this time) and it's still happening. What the gently caress.

Also as it turns out Titanium backup does backup texts, however, once it makes the first backup, it won't update said backup even if you set it to backup all. I now have a rather large gap in my texts. Oh well.

FlyingCheese fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Aug 18, 2011

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

ChiaPetOutletStore posted:

Ok, so I'm going to start this off by saying that this is all my fault, and should probably have but I rooted my Desire a few days ago, and I think I'd rather just go back to stock. I can see the advantages, but I don't think I'm the kind of user that needs them.

I've been looking online, but nothing really gives me any indication of how to go from CM7 to stock, 2.2 or whatever, as my phone came.

What do I need to do?

One of the ROM sites should have the stock ROM for your phone. Just flash that the same way you flashed CM7.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
Does MIUI release source code and does anyone ever look at it? My question is out of security concern.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

TheBuilder posted:

Does MIUI release source code and does anyone ever look at it? My question is out of security concern.

I've never seen it released and its always bugged me as well.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

TheBuilder posted:

No - theres a reason why the Cyanogenmod guys loathe MIUI.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Tornhelm posted:

No - theres a reason why the Cyanogenmod guys loathe MIUI.

Are the MIUI people using CM code? Wouldn't surprise me in the least.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
I figured as much. That poo poo is highly suspect.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Are the MIUI people using CM code? Wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Pretty much. MIUI uses CM code and they don't give back to the community. If you look at the buglist for things like the SGS/SGS2, you will see that they have the exact same bugs that get fixed at the same time as they do on CM. The people porting it on XDA aren't too bad - they tend to share things - but the main MIUI guys don't.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

trilljester posted:

Inspire 4G/Desire HD users: I've been using this ROM Virtuous Unity for a couple weeks now, and I have to say, it's the best Sense-based ROM I've come across. If you're wanting to give Sense 3.0 a look, this is really the best ROM for it.

How are things like battery life and stability? GPS work good? I've been using Android Revolution since I first rooted my phone. It makes a bunch of tweaks and removes ATT crapware but no visual changes from stock. I'd like to try something different like CM7 our MIUI but I can't make myself move off this rom when everything on it works :/

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

trilljester posted:

I've been using this rom for the g2 as well. There are some niggling bugs with it that I do not like but overall stability is good. Idle battery is insane when you're really not hooked into data of any kind.

Bugs that I've noticed: Broken USB tether. When you input or receive text data of any kind, the amber LED light stays on until you pull your notification slider down. If you type up a text and pass 160 characters, sometimes it will stop and scroll all the way to the top of your sent messages which requires you to scroll way back down. Occasionally this will start happening constantly. The .com button doesn't work.

That being said, I never thought I would like Sense UI and I really dig Unity. For its flaws it is snappy, nice and smooth, had great benchmark scores (3000 in antutu @ 1.2ghz, the stock clock speed for unity), and looks gorgeous. I threw on LP+ cause I hate clutter in my app drawer but other than that, this rom is very nice. GPS has a drat near instant lock as long as you have some sort of sky view.

However when you actually....you know use it, the battery life does tend to take a dump. Keep a charger or a spare battery on hand at all times. This might be a function of the G2 not only having a piss poor battery but stock clock is 800mhz and cranking it way up like this chews up the juice.

But hey, it has tons of clocks! gently caress yeah, clocks!

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Aug 18, 2011

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ChiaPetOutletStore posted:

What do I need to do?
I can't really help you as I don't have a Desire and don't keep up on what it takes, but even if you're just running a rooted stock ROM there's absolutely no reason to not want to use a true A2SD solution on a Desire. That alone should be enough to make you want to stick to running rooted as the limited internal storage on the Desire really limits the phone and it's so painless to fix at the point you're at. Why would you forgo 1GB of app space in favor of whatever the stock Desire ROM gives you (like 100MB or something ridiculous, isn't it)?

Like Alarbus said, you can find a stock ROM on xda or whatever but I'd highly advise you to find a rooted stock ROM and implement apps to SD-EXT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

Slopehead posted:

I've been using this rom for the g2 as well. There are some niggling bugs with it that I do not like but overall stability is good. Idle battery is insane when you're really not hooked into data of any kind.

What app is that?