Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
Petition to change this thread to "NorCal Hockey Bros"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Aniki posted:

Speaking of stick handling videos, I filled in net for one of Brad Perry's skill sessions the other night. The dude is an amazing stick handler and he seemed to be a really good teacher.

I did that a couple times in my last game.

:psyduck:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

e: I'm a dumb rear end in a top hat.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!
Is there much of a difference between medium and large ice pants? Small is in my waist size but large has my height, while medium is only 1" short on my height. Just didnt want to order pants with a waist 6" bigger than I need, figured the length wouldnt be that much difference between M/L.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I ordered a stick from icewarehouse and it showed up snapped in half. :smith:

The box looked like it had been put through a wood chipper.

MiamiKid
Dec 14, 2003
I bought my skates from IceWarehouse, returned a pair without issue. Had a good experience with their customer service, I'd definitely give them a call.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, I'm already on the horn with them. I'm sure it'll get resolved satisfactorily, it just sucks to have a shipment arrive and it's a box of kindling.

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

xzzy posted:

Yeah, I'm already on the horn with them. I'm sure it'll get resolved satisfactorily, it just sucks to have a shipment arrive and it's a box of kindling.

You do cool cool stuff with broken sticks though, if they allow you to keep it. I worked at UPS for a few years during college and it is amazing how terrible manufacturers packed firearms and sporting goods. Remington boxes were not even taped or stapled most of the time, just a rifle in a donut type box where the flaps tuck in. I recently shipped a rifle to Remington to get repaired and two weeks later they sent me an empty box. I was sure the rifle just fell out and nobody gave a poo poo, but nope, they said they sent me the box to send my rifle back to them... which they had had for nearly two weeks. :rant:

Anyway, sorry about your stick :shobon:

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!
Stupid kitty pissed in my bag:mad:

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

poser posted:

Cat piss is the worst piss :(

comedy option: how could you even tell?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

poser posted:

I just got a new Jack Russell puppy a few weeks ago. Yesterday he started grabbing shoes and being mischievous in general so I yelled at him to knock it off. He looked at me, then walked over to my hockey bag and pissed in it.

He's too smart for his own good.

:mad::hf::mad:

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Aug 17, 2011

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009
Maybe you two should zip your bags.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
3 Cats, 1 Jack Russell, 2 Hockey Bags at my place.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

Thufir posted:

Cat piss is the worst piss :(

comedy option: how could you even tell?

My gear was out two days last week and all day yesterday.. I get home and he just jumps in the bag and pisses in it while I watched

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

poser posted:

My gear was out two days last week and all day yesterday.. I get home and he just jumps in the bag and pisses in it while I watched

Cats will do poo poo like that if they're mad at you. Good luck figuring out what they're mad about though. Everyone thinks cats are just dumb animals, but they can be pretty goddamn smart when it suits 'em.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

xzzy posted:

Cats will do poo poo like that if they're mad at you. Good luck figuring out what they're mad about though. Everyone thinks cats are just dumb animals, but they can be pretty goddamn smart when it suits 'em.

They don't have to be mad at you to do it - just being stressed in general can cause that kind of thing. Some illnesses can also lead to a change in elimination habits like urinating outside of the box so if the cat does it again somewhere else you should look into a vet visit, poser. :)

Also make sure you clean the gear with something with an enzymatic cleaner in it because the cat will continue to go in that spot if it still smells like pee.

Also HZ why anyone would get a Jack Russell Terrier is beyond me.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

xzzy posted:

My cat did that to me a while back. He was ill cuz I kept leaving the house to play -- he figured out that whenever I loaded up the gear bag that meant I was going to be gone for a while. So yeah, he's not allowed in the room where I keep my gear anymore.

Also, I just played my first game ever in contacts tonight after spending the last year and a half wearing glasses behind my cage. Holy gently caress I can't believe what a difference it makes. It's ridiculous how much better I could see the ice. And no fogged lenses after a shift, either. Bonus!

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Also, I just played my first game ever in contacts tonight after spending the last year and a half wearing glasses behind my cage. Holy gently caress I can't believe what a difference it makes. It's ridiculous how much better I could see the ice. And no fogged lenses after a shift, either. Bonus!

Oh man, I can't even being to imagine how much it would suck to play in glasses.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

sba posted:

Petition to change this thread to "NorCal Hockey Bros"

Seconded. All the cool people moved out here.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Chemmy posted:

Seconded. All the cool people moved out here.

I've lived here for 4 years. :cool:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I lived in Sunnyvale for two years and moved away because it sucked so much. :colbert:

To be fair, California would be a lot nicer if it weren't for all those people.

To be more fair, I moved to Chicago, so perhaps my judgement isn't the best.

I could really go for a St. John's cheesesteak right about now.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

xzzy posted:

I lived in Sunnyvale for two years and moved away because it sucked so much. :colbert:

Just substitute it with an Al's Italian beef + provalone and hot gardinera

Besides, Chicago is awesome as long as its sunny. The winter sucks but other than that its awesome.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Verman posted:

Oh man Al's Beef rules.

I'm repping East Coast hockeygoons over here in Philadelphia and South Jersey

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

WouldDesk posted:

Maybe you two should zip your bags.

Thankfully my bag was empty. My gear was too busy drying/making the garage smell awful.

Topoisomerase posted:

Also HZ why anyone would get a Jack Russell Terrier is beyond me.

B-b-b-but... he's cute! You can't say no to this face :3:

I didn't really get him voluntarily. It was more of a rescue him from a bad living situation type of thing. I'd like to think that he has a much better home now.

He's a JR/Pomeranian mix, so he's only 99% insane. A good perk of having him is that I no longer need an alarm clock. I get wakeup calls at 4am and 6am on the dot. Every. loving. Day. Never in my life have I ever taken a nap before 10am.

Thufir posted:

Oh man, I can't even being to imagine how much it would suck to play in glasses.

It's awful. I wear contacts, but last season I lost one of them. While I was waiting on a replacement to be shipped to me, I had to wear my glasses to a couple stick times. When they weren't fogging up, they were going all wonky with the slightest jostle to my helmet. It was terrible. I don't know how full-time glasses people do it.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I didn't really get him voluntarily. It was more of a rescue him from a bad living situation type of thing. I'd like to think that he has a much better home now.

He's a JR/Pomeranian mix, so he's only 99% insane. A good perk of having him is that I no longer need an alarm clock. I get wakeup calls at 4am and 6am on the dot. Every. loving. Day. Never in my life have I ever taken a nap before 10am.

Don't listen to her, she LOVES Jack Russell's.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

xzzy posted:

Sunnyvale is terrible :)

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?

lazerwolf posted:

Oh man Al's Beef rules.

I'm repping East Coast hockeygoons over here in Philadelphia and South Jersey

:):hf::) not everyone hates philly, specially us that live there (or close by)

my pit bull / basset hound mix literally runs away from me when i have my hockey bag on my shoulder, and will take extra care to stay far away from it. he's a dick. my black lab still loves though.

Thufir posted:

I'm a full time glasses guy (mostly because I'm too lazy to go get contacts ordered) and it's not too terrible. They don't fog for me, but when sweat drips onto them it actually is the end of the world.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Verman posted:

Besides, Chicago is awesome as long as its sunny. The winter sucks but other than that its awesome.

We used to have an Al's Italian Beef in Scottsdale, but it closed recently. They had really good polish sausage. :(

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
Besides playing with a tennis ball and a stick, are there any other good stickhandling drills I can do on dry ground? Mainly, I want to focus on getting better at carrying the puck up ice with my head up and maybe do a few jukes here and there. Everytime I try a juke, I lose the puck or the D-man whacks it off my stick.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

trilljester posted:

Besides playing with a tennis ball and a stick, are there any other good stickhandling drills I can do on dry ground? Mainly, I want to focus on getting better at carrying the puck up ice with my head up and maybe do a few jukes here and there. Everytime I try a juke, I lose the puck or the D-man whacks it off my stick.

Tell me more about the D man whacking it off ...

All jokes aside, I think the term you're looking for are dekes, not jukes.

Practice dribbling the puck with a golf ball or wooden ball. The wood balls generally don't bounce as much which will replicate a puck much better than a tennis ball, and golf balls are nice because it forces you to learn how to keep the ball flat otherwise it will bounce away from you. It also moves really fast and will increase your speed.

If you need practice keeping your head up, graduate from dribbling the puck to doing so without looking at it. Going by feel is the best way of learning how to skate with your head up. When you get comfortable dribbling the puck without looking at it, start moving around.

Sean skinner videos have great techniques for improving your stick handling but you can just google "stick handling drills" and nearly anything should be good.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

trilljester posted:

Dryland with a wooden stickhandling ball or a golf ball will help to increase your speed with deking. You can also try to practice keeping your head up to improve the 'puckfeel'

I 2nd trying to find the Sean Skinner stickhandling videos. there's a lot of good drills for dekes and fakes. Also about proper spacing to effectively deke through or around someone

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

trilljester posted:

Get a Green Biscuit.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
Good stuff! As always, SAS comes through. Thanks!

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

trilljester posted:

Good stuff! As always, SAS comes through. Thanks!

Also: consider getting a stickweight, or improvising one yourself. Just a bit of extra weight towards the bottom of the stick is enough, at least to start, and will help you develop speed - as well as strength on the puck. Plus, when you take the weight off, your stick will feel light as gently caress. :) I try to warm up with one before all of my games as a result.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Habibi posted:

Also: consider getting a stickweight, or improvising one yourself. Just a bit of extra weight towards the bottom of the stick is enough, at least to start, and will help you develop speed - as well as strength on the puck. Plus, when you take the weight off, your stick will feel light as gently caress. :) I try to warm up with one before all of my games as a result.

I tried filling a composite stick with sand before which worked well for drills and speed, but dont let a friend try to take a shot with it or it will snap like a twig. You can always tape some washers or pennies around a cheap shaft as well.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

cenzo posted:

I'm a full time glasses guy (mostly because I'm too lazy to go get contacts ordered) and it's not too terrible. They don't fog for me, but when sweat drips onto them it actually is the end of the world.

Have you ever tried wearing a bandanna under your helmet? It's always worked for me. Just tie it low on your forehead.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
I bought twelve of these to use outside for shooting and stickhandling practice. They're seriously awesome.

I sometimes will set eleven of them (plus the 3 light street/roller pucks I have) up in a line or staggered across from each other and weave through them or do tight circles around them with the remaining one (with inline skates on).

This is my practice surface... ;)

and..

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

*TERRIER*

Oh I sure can. I am immune to these sorts of things - comes with the territory.

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Aug 18, 2011

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Is there a place online to buy those pucks for cheap? 'Cause they're $6 or $7 apiece at the store I go to.

Side note: For those of you who don't remember (everyone!), I started working out at a Crossfit facility in the area, and Drew Miller has been working out there pretty much every time I go there. It'd be cool if he worked out with the class instead of a personal trainer.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Gio posted:

Is there a place online to buy those pucks for cheap? 'Cause they're $6 or $7 apiece at the store I go to.

Everywhere I've seen them online they're around that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

I can also vouch for IceGuys and ProPucks. Both are great, albeit expensive. They move on pavement very similarly to how a puck does on the ice.