Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

fuzzy_logic posted:

I just got a set of Tombow markers. Questions:

How do I color things so it doesn't look like a 5 year old did it? Is there a technique to keeping the same-color layers from overlapping? That's the part that always makes it look poo poo - I want an area of flat consistent color.

Do I need a ton of colors to do nice shading? I only have about 12 right now all in contrasting colors (ie, I have one green and one blue, nothing in between).

Why do I have a white marker? The hell is it for?

The white marker is probably a blender, you can use it to get smooth gradients between colors. As for flat areas of color, try coloring in long, straight strokes, all in the same direction. If you want consistent color you have to color consistently, if that makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabbo
Aug 20, 2010
Hey so I'm working on a project and getting frustrated- My drawings will look neat and lively as sketches, but once I take them further they become lifeless and flat. Also characters will look completely different.

Is there a good way to liven up my finished work more? I can't put my finger on why the sketch looks better to me, and it's driving me crazy.

SEC
Nov 14, 2005

Dabbo posted:

Hey so I'm working on a project and getting frustrated- My drawings will look neat and lively as sketches, but once I take them further they become lifeless and flat. Also characters will look completely different.

Is there a good way to liven up my finished work more? I can't put my finger on why the sketch looks better to me, and it's driving me crazy.

I think both are great but if you're looking to "liven" it up a bit, gestural marks tend to provide energy to an image. It's probably why you're attracted to the sketch more. Adding a few gesture albeit calculated lines and marks may help add the va-va-voom you're looking for. This works particularly well at movement points, so in this case perhaps around her hair/earrings/hands

SEC
Nov 14, 2005

Gozinbulx posted:

instructional, though coffee table sounds good too.

Meggs' history of Graphic Design is a great book to have in your collection -- I know you mentioned more modern up-to-date pieces (I have the fourth edition and it brings me up to the 90s, but when I saw your post I thought I'd mention it. It's a great resource for inspiration and very informative.

Here's a link;
http://www.amazon.ca/Meggs-History-Graphic-Design-Philip/dp/0471699020

Triangle
Jul 30, 2011

Heh. If I was actually unchill, I would be using all caps and/or exclamation marks in my posts, but I am chill. Clowns like you make me laugh, that's what clowns do. Added to my ignore list.

Dabbo posted:

Are you using a different program for sketching than the one you finish your works with? The latter looks like it's made with flash. The arbitrary thickness of the lines sucks out a lot of the directionality. I wouldn't use it unless you're creating animations or something.
Also, the forms feel weaker in the colored one. When you don't have shadows indicating shape, you really got to pay close attention to the direction of the lines, so they wrap around the figure.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

What's the best way to avoid pixelation on large typography in Illustrator? I'm trying to draw a header using 120+pt Helvetica and it's almost always pixelated. Is there something I'm missing? I've got AA turned on in Preferences and I'm interlacing my exports. Is this just the way it is? Any best practices?

e: For reference, http://imgur.com/cNtoS

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Aug 17, 2011

lostatsea
Oct 23, 2005

Set Yourself On Fire

Abel Wingnut posted:

What's the best way to avoid pixelation on large typography in Illustrator? I'm trying to draw a header using 120+pt Helvetica and it's almost always pixelated. Is there something I'm missing? I've got AA turned on in Preferences and I'm interlacing my exports. Is this just the way it is? Any best practices?

e: For reference, http://imgur.com/cNtoS

Do you have "matte" color set when you're saving out that PNG? Looks like you do from the link.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Is there a long lasting cheap printer out there anyone recommends? Not being able to proof stuff w/out going to Kinko's / getting it printed somewhere is tedious.

Dabbo
Aug 20, 2010

Triangle posted:

Are you using a different program for sketching than the one you finish your works with? The latter looks like it's made with flash. The arbitrary thickness of the lines sucks out a lot of the directionality. I wouldn't use it unless you're creating animations or something.
Also, the forms feel weaker in the colored one. When you don't have shadows indicating shape, you really got to pay close attention to the direction of the lines, so they wrap around the figure.

I'm doing all my work on paint tool sai, but I see what you mean. Does this look better so far?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!
I love doodling in little sketchbooks, but hate it when the pictures smudge (I draw almost always in pencil).

Is there anything I can do to "set" the pencil so it doesn't smudge its adjoining paper? I seem to recall someone telling me to use hairspray, but before I go crazy hair spraying my doodlebook I thought I'd ask.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

leftover posted:

I love doodling in little sketchbooks, but hate it when the pictures smudge (I draw almost always in pencil).

Is there anything I can do to "set" the pencil so it doesn't smudge its adjoining paper? I seem to recall someone telling me to use hairspray, but before I go crazy hair spraying my doodlebook I thought I'd ask.

There's a product called fixative, which is like hairspray for drawings. You can't really use it on-the-go because it's made with awful volatile organic compounds. You really have to use it in a well-ventilated area, and you have to do a couple coats to make things stay. But if you can do that every day when you get home, it will solve your sketchbook problem.

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

poo poo, wrong 'small questions' thread. Ignore this.

Yay, drawing!

Travakian fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Aug 19, 2011

Dvega
Aug 2, 2006

The most magical song of all.
Hopefully this is the right place for this. I had a site bookmarked on a now sadly dead computer that had an amazing rundown of ink wash techniques. They were scans from an old book/magazine written and using examples by old professional ink wash painter who did all those amazing magazine advertisements from the 40's and 50's and it really felt complete and informative in a way that nothing else I've come across has.

I'm wondering if anyone knows the site and could link me?

Or if anyone has a book to recommend on the subject too, that would be a boon.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Dvega posted:

Hopefully this is the right place for this. I had a site bookmarked on a now sadly dead computer that had an amazing rundown of ink wash techniques. They were scans from an old book/magazine written and using examples by old professional ink wash painter who did all those amazing magazine advertisements from the 40's and 50's and it really felt complete and informative in a way that nothing else I've come across has.

I'm wondering if anyone knows the site and could link me?

Or if anyone has a book to recommend on the subject too, that would be a boon.

Did this involve a step-by-step tutorial of a spooky illustration of a scene with a twisted branch and a crow? If so, I have it.

Dvega
Aug 2, 2006

I think it may have. I mostly remember a lot of 40's men and women looking like 40's men and women, and a step-by-step of an ink-after-washing technique with a drawing of a fireman in front of a fire.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

neonnoodle posted:

Did this involve a step-by-step tutorial of a spooky illustration of a scene with a twisted branch and a crow? If so, I have it.

Would you please post this (if it's a link/online) even if it's not the right thing? :)

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Besesoth posted:

Would you please post this (if it's a link/online) even if it's not the right thing? :)

And the rest is in this imgur album: http://neonnoodle.imgur.com/famous_artists_course__ink_wash

Dvega
Aug 2, 2006

That's the one! Thank you, I really appreciate it!

Behold! A Elk!
May 12, 2009
I've had a comedy blog for about a month now and I have a solid number of updates. Besides posting once in the goon blog post thread and on my facebook wall where the only people who can see it are my twenty or so friends, how exactly can I market this without being an obnoxious douche. I am not a professional and I am learning to be a better writer as I go. I don't ask for donations on my blog because I think it is unwarranted. Do I just have to hope something goes "viral" so to speak. Or is there a non annoying way to get my content out to more people?

Thanks for any help.

I did get my first comment a week ago and was very excited because it said nice things. Then I found out it was from my mom.

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

Behold! A Elk! posted:

I've had a comedy blog for about a month now and I have a solid number of updates. Besides posting once in the goon blog post thread and on my facebook wall where the only people who can see it are my twenty or so friends, how exactly can I market this without being an obnoxious douche. I am not a professional and I am learning to be a better writer as I go. I don't ask for donations on my blog because I think it is unwarranted. Do I just have to hope something goes "viral" so to speak. Or is there a non annoying way to get my content out to more people?

Thanks for any help.

Twitter. Make an account, add folks who have anything to do with comedy (maybe they'll retweet or mention some of your posts!), add people who have 'comedy' or the specific sort of comedy/industry/field you write about as part of their description, add friends of yours and so forth. Add people who are in your town/city/state/province.

You pretty much want to add anyone who has a link to who you are or what you do, with the idea that the basic commonality is enough to spark interest on their end. Just do NOT add hundreds of people at random, because that'll get you nowhere.

Otherwise.. do blog circles still exist? Find one for comedy, add yours to it; maybe that'll generate interest. Ask these friends and followers to Like/+1/Share you on any social network, so all their friends can now discover you, and hopefully pass you on.

Maybe you could post a thread/comment here asking for feedback on it, as a sneaky but valid way to get more views. Maybe.

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!

neonnoodle posted:

There's a product called fixative, which is like hairspray for drawings. You can't really use it on-the-go because it's made with awful volatile organic compounds. You really have to use it in a well-ventilated area, and you have to do a couple coats to make things stay. But if you can do that every day when you get home, it will solve your sketchbook problem.

Thanks loads, just ordered some off amazon. I have a nice balcony area where I can spray, and now I won't be so skittish about laying down heavy shading.

Behold! A Elk!
May 12, 2009
Thanks travakian! I am afraid of twitter now. I am having to much fun on it. but seriously I appreciate the advice. I also got around to starting a Facebook page for the blog as well.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hey, a question: Does Mary Blair's style of illustration have any particular name attached to it? I feel kind of durrrh referring to it as Mary Blair or Little Golden book styled art.

This sort of stuff:

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Aug 25, 2011

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

SynthOrange posted:

Hey, a question: Does Mary Blair's style of illustration have any particular name attached to it?

"loving gorgeous". :3:

Seriously, though, I've occasionally seen it referred to as "Small World style", but usually it's just "Mary Blair-style". You're in fine company calling it that.

(Also Kitten Teeth and Richard Scarry are pale imitations of Mary Blair but I digress.)

doorknobjohnny
Apr 29, 2007

ESQ.
What are the "rules" for using GIS images in a blog post? I review terrible movies and sometimes use images I've procured from Google in those reviews. Usually it's either a picture of the actors or a screenshot from the movie, sometimes the DVD cover art.

Is this illegal? Can I get in trouble for this?

Terrible Movies for Terrible People for reference and examples.

I didn't feel like this warranted a full thread, so I figured this was the best place to ask. Thanks guys.

Edit: I save the images and upload them onto my own hosting, if that makes any difference.

doorknobjohnny fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Aug 25, 2011

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
If you were/are the creative director/hiring person at an ad agency what do you expect in an applicants book? How many pieces of work, what format, etc? Right now I have 9 pieces in an 11x17 pdf. Is mailing better than emailing? Drop it off in person?

Dabbo
Aug 20, 2010
Is there a good thread or website to get feedback/critique on character design?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

thylacine posted:

If you were/are the creative director/hiring person at an ad agency what do you expect in an applicants book? How many pieces of work, what format, etc? Right now I have 9 pieces in an 11x17 pdf. Is mailing better than emailing? Drop it off in person?

If you're emailing prepare a smaller sampler. something like 5-7 pieces in a smaller PDF, then you can bring in printouts or an on screen presentation for a meeting, interview.

leradny
Aug 26, 2011
There should be a list of submission requirements on the sites for specific ad agencies. So, look up a few and keep in mind that you may have to use different formats for different agencies.

Behold! A Elk!
May 12, 2009

doorknobjohnny posted:

What are the "rules" for using GIS images in a blog post? I review terrible movies and sometimes use images I've procured from Google in those reviews. Usually it's either a picture of the actors or a screenshot from the movie, sometimes the DVD cover art.

Is this illegal? Can I get in trouble for this?

Terrible Movies for Terrible People for reference and examples.

I didn't feel like this warranted a full thread, so I figured this was the best place to ask. Thanks guys.

Edit: I save the images and upload them onto my own hosting, if that makes any difference.

I am actually really curious about this as well but from another angle. I recently posted a piece that used screenshot that I myself took from an emulator of a popular videogame. I then heavily edited the screenshots for joke purposes and used them in an article.

I guess if it is okay to post an example I will. I'm not trying to advertise. Just paranoid about nintendo based lawsuits.

http://humourabilia.blogspot.com/2011/08/haunting-most-mario.html

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe
I'm trying to remember the name of an artist whose work i've seen posted here on SA a bunch. She's a young Asian gal who mostly paints images of skinny women and birds, often on a wood grain background. In many of the works, the subjects don't have arms. I don't have any images, or i'd just do a reverse google image lookup. Anyone have the faintest clue of who i'm talking about?

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Behold! A Elk! posted:

I am actually really curious about this as well but from another angle. I recently posted a piece that used screenshot that I myself took from an emulator of a popular videogame. I then heavily edited the screenshots for joke purposes and used them in an article.

I guess if it is okay to post an example I will. I'm not trying to advertise. Just paranoid about nintendo based lawsuits.

http://humourabilia.blogspot.com/2011/08/haunting-most-mario.html

If you're in the USA, your rear end is covered six ways till Sunday. Fair use (for reviews and other journalism) and parody will protect you. Don't worry about it.

Behold! A Elk!
May 12, 2009

neonnoodle posted:

If you're in the USA, your rear end is covered six ways till Sunday. Fair use (for reviews and other journalism) and parody will protect you. Don't worry about it.

That is good to know. I was never quite sure if fair-use was a real thing or if it was just something people made up when they didn't want to get sued.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
I'm going on a 2 month US tour with a band and documenting everything. Is there an external/portable harddrive that a.) takes SDHC cards b.) is a decent size for lots of HD video c.) can store AVCHD files d.) isn't super expensive?

A laptop will probably take up too much space. Would a cheaper solution be a bunch of 16 gb SDHC cards? Any other suggestions for essential stuff to take?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

'Portable hard drive reader' gave a few results on things that I didnt even know existed.

http://www.nextag.com/portable-hard-drive-card-reader/products-html for example has a few things that look like what you're looking for in the $100-200 range?

TONY DANZAS HO
Aug 27, 2003

retired
and
loving it

ixo posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of an artist whose work i've seen posted here on SA a bunch. She's a young Asian gal who mostly paints images of skinny women and birds, often on a wood grain background. In many of the works, the subjects don't have arms. I don't have any images, or i'd just do a reverse google image lookup. Anyone have the faintest clue of who i'm talking about?

audrey kawasaki

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...=og&sa=N&tab=wi

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe
Yes! Thank you, I've been trying to remember that name for almost 3 days now.

Zombie Defiler
Apr 30, 2005

I don't much care for your negative attitude, mister.
Not sure if my questions merit an entire thread, so I'll just ask here.

I'm working on my board game, all the meat of it is pretty finished, test plays proved to be a lot of fun and made hours fly by, Kickstarter approved my request to make a funding thing (which I haven't taken advantage of yet), and I'm in need of a couple things still:

1. a landscape artist who can do fantasy-esque landscapes for the board game, this would involve blending together a few "zones" of the board, the tiles lead the players along a path which I would like to go through a grassland, forest, cave, and eventually reach the top of an ice and snow covered mountain. so the questions are: where do I find an artist for this? Deviant art has turned up nothing, I know theres a lot of goons with amazing talent, but I don't know where to start there, or even what sort of fair compensation would be for a board game's art. I don't want to screw someone over or get screwed over, y'know?

I don't really know the legalities of using someone else's work either, I assume I'd need to purchase all rights and ownership of the art in order to avoid any kind of legal problems later on in life.

2. some way to publish/physically craft the game, I have been eyeballing a place called "the game crafter", but they don't offer custom boxes for the game, and I've yet to order a prototype product from them (I'd like to get the art done first). I'm not sure if these guys are the best choice, because I don't want to upset kickstarter backers with a game that doesn't have a snazzy box or something! Is there any other small batch publisher for indie boardgames that anybody can recommend? Or am I worrying too much about a stupid box for the game?

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
I've been asked to design a font for a project, and the client has asked for some of the extended characters, including capital letters with accents. If the "natural" capital letters extend from the baseline to the ascender, what's the convention for placing the accents? I know that some typefaces leave the capital letters the same height and place the accents above the cap line (and often above the ascent line), and others shorten the capital letters to keep accents under the ascent. This is my first "professional" font design, and so I'm eager to get it "right".

I think the latter looks goofy, and I'd really prefer to do the former, but is there a layout/usage reason why it's a better idea to shorten the capitals and keep everything below the ascent line?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Look upon my bathroom joists, ye females, and despair.
I have a photoshop question.

I'm trying to figure out if there is a way to automatically size a selection (or free transform) to the size of the canvas without using stretching it manually.

For example: Say you have a 500 x 1000 canvas and a word in the middle of the canvas that is about 100 x 150. I want to be able to select that text and autofit it to the size of the canvas, disregarding the proportions. I'm trying to make an action of this and the canvas sizes will vary which is why I don't want to do it manually.

Any thoughts?