Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gooch
Oct 30, 2006

Anyone know anything about recent Brody Stevens news? I hear he's locked up in a psych ward for observation. Also the latest Doug loves has a mention of him at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum

Gooch posted:

Anyone know anything about recent Brody Stevens news? I hear he's locked up in a psych ward for observation. Also the latest Doug loves has a mention of him at the end.

And Zach G was one of the shitheads, relating to something to do with Brody. I'm really curious what's going on.

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

D--n it, how he nicks 'em
Has CBB done a Would You Rather lately? I don't like most of the characters but WYR never failed to make me laugh.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Gooch posted:

Via laist.com (no clue what kind of record they have for accuracy)

quote:

I've got to admit I'm a bit worried about comedian Brody Stevens. I saw him do a spectacular set at Just For Laughs in Montreal about 3 weeks ago and I've been enjoying his Twitter stream quite a bit lately - but evidently his camping out at a San Fernando Valley Starbucks has been less than welcome for an employee there and Stevens was arrested and then handed over to the UCLA psych ward for a 2 week evaluation period. Evidently friend and former "Chelsea Lately" colleague Josh Wolf tried to visit Stevens in jail last week but was not allowed access, hopefully he was able to see him over the weekend at UCLA.

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

You say you want a revolution

Ograbme posted:

Has CBB done a Would You Rather lately? I don't like most of the characters but WYR never failed to make me laugh.

I think they did one on the episode before this current one, no?

MBMBaM: I can't decide whether I love or hate the way Justin pronounces "modern" at the top of every show.

j8910
Apr 2, 2002

NotWearingPants posted:

His impressions are great, but how many times can you hear him doing Tracy Morgan saying "I'm gonna get everyone here pregnant" before it's not funny anymore?

An infinite amount of times. Him doing Tracy Morgan is loving funny every time.

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum

NotWearingPants posted:

Mohr is interesting to me because he seems off or damaged but I can't put my finger on exactly why. My best guess is that he's a narcissist who once was very popular but now has come back down to Earth. Also, he seems like a genuinely funny guy, but he relies way too heavily on impressions which seem to me like a crutch for unfunny comics. His impressions are great, but how many times can you hear him doing Tracy Morgan saying "I'm gonna get everyone here pregnant" before it's not funny anymore? Also, there are moments where he can seem as stupid as Joe Rogan, but he doesn't seem to be as constantly stupid as Joe Rogan. I guess maybe that's from starting in comedy clubs as a teen and forgoing any higher education.

I've heard him mention his "beautiful wife" several times already... does he ever touch on the subject of her horrible plastic surgery?

Maybe it was the farting into the microphone, within the first 10-15 minutes of his first episode, that turned you off.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet

Yannick_B posted:

Its still in-progress but holy poo poo, that Philly Boy Roy call!

Yep another classic episode. If this show was the result of the ban on regular callers, I heartily support it.

I love listening live too. It just adds to the spontaneity.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Aug 17, 2011

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Can any recommend some good Joe Rogan episodes?

widunder
May 2, 2002

mcvey posted:

everything with joey diaz and without eddie bravo

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS

mcvey posted:

Anything with Bryan Callen, Duncan Trussell, Joey Diaz, and Bert Krischner. I don't mind Eddie Bravo because I enjoy MMA. I also can not wait for the Anthony Bourdain episode.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

j8910 posted:

An infinite amount of times. Him doing Tracy Morgan is loving funny every time.

I think Tracey Morgan doing Tracey Morgan is funnier. When he imitates someone like Seinfeld it's parody, but how can you parody a guy who is a living parody of himself? He is essentially just doing Tracey Morgan's act which he should probably be more aware of considering he spends so much time rebutting accusations of joke stealing.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

NotWearingPants posted:

Mohr is interesting to me because he seems off or damaged but I can't put my finger on exactly why. My best guess is that he's a narcissist who once was very popular but now has come back down to Earth.
Was he ever popular though? Besides Jerry Maguire, I don't think he ever did anything terribly popular. He definitely is a bit of a narcissist though, and has admitted that he's always had an inferiority complex from being the youngest on the block, youngest in the comedy clubs, youngest on SNL, etc. He seems to be pretty self-aware about when he's being cocky or talking too much.

I like his podcast a lot though, he definitely comes off as very genuine. I also consider him to be the best impressionist out there. Not only because they sound really accurate, but he's incredibly quick with doing material as the person he's impersonating. When he does Colin Quinn, he's saying stuff that Quinn absolutely would say. He's just not reciting lines either, he riffs on people off the cuff as Colin (or any other celebrity he's doing) all the time.

JeansW
Aug 4, 2004
Yes. Like the jeans...
I listened to Aisha's Girl on Guy with Adam Carolla. It was funny, but if you're a big time Adam fan there's not a lot new in it.

She asks him about how he got into the business and he tells the story of how he worked construction and became a boxing instructor, yada yada. It's a good story if you've never heard it, but I've probably heard it 4 or 5 times at this point so it was kind of meh.

I definitely like her podcast though, hopefully she can keep having good guests come on.

take three tablets
Nov 21, 2005

Hell Gem

CortezFantastic posted:

Anything with Bryan Callen, Duncan Trussell, Joey Diaz, and Bert Krischner. I don't mind Eddie Bravo because I enjoy MMA. I also can not wait for the Anthony Bourdain episode.

Second Bryan Callen and Duncan Trussell, but I'd like to add the caveat that you probably need to be a stoner to enjoy those two and Duncan in particular.

Teepkick Shakur
May 16, 2008

by XyloJW
Other standouts are the the episode with Kevin Piera (it completely changed my opinion of him), the first Cliffy B episode, and as already stated...anything with Cocoa. Oh and the Andy Dick episode.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
I haven't had as much time to listen to podcasts lately so the only one I've made time for is MBMBaM. I'm never disappointed with them.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

caveman thug poo poo posted:

I haven't had as much time to listen to podcasts lately so the only one I've made time for is MBMBaM. I'm never disappointed with them.

It's been really good for the past few weeks now. I don't think there was a time in this week's episode that I wasn't nearly crying laughing. Griffin reading the spanking party guidelines was seriously the hardest I've laughed in a long, long time.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Teepkick Shakur posted:

Other standouts are the the episode with Kevin Piera (it completely changed my opinion of him), the first Cliffy B episode, and as already stated...anything with Cocoa. Oh and the Andy Dick episode.

The Dave Foley one too though that was a bit depressing. And I don't think you need to be a stoner to enjoy the episodes with Duncan or Bryan Callen...I'm not, and Callen is my favorite guest by far.

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

D--n it, how he nicks 'em
Tighaters might want to check out Comedy Film Nerds episode 66; she is actually a normal person.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Who Charted was absolutely great today, especially the ninja turtle rap.

widunder
May 2, 2002
I don't usually trust goon advice due to my intense dislike for CDR/CBB and DLM and the like (although I did find out about UYD here years ago), but man, the Jay Mohr podcast is loving great.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

nemoulette posted:

I don't usually trust goon advice due to my intense dislike for CDR/CBB and DLM and the like (although I did find out about UYD here years ago), but man, the Jay Mohr podcast is loving great.

Let me guess... you also love the Joe Rogan and Adam Carolla podcasts.

After 136 pages of this thread I'm pretty sure we could devise an intelligence test based on podcast preferences that would be more accurate than anything Mensa has ever come up with. It would be called the Rogan-Thompkins scale.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

caveman thug poo poo posted:

My enjoyment of them greatly increased when I was able to accept that all three of them want to be Seth from UYD, and thats fine because he's awesome.

Lately, I've been looking forward to the new Hollywood Babble-On and MBMBAM.

MG
Feb 13, 2001

My name is Pleasence and I am FUNKY!

NotWearingPants posted:

After 136 pages of this thread I'm pretty sure we could devise an intelligence test based on podcast preferences that would be more accurate than anything Mensa has ever come up with. It would be called the Rogan-Thompkins scale.

I think the split is more along if people prefer improv or chat shows.

Peter North
Apr 23, 2003

NotWearingPants posted:

Personal taste doesn't come in such absolutes, whether you like the sort of comedy that's prevalent on the East coast or the West coast. Just based on a quick post history, you like Bill Burr's podcast, the Jim Norton episode of Fitzsimmons' podcast, and don't 'get' Tig Notaro, so you can't be pigeonholed as the sort of comedy snob who hangs out on aspecialthing and thumbs their nose at anything not Louis CK or PFT so easily either. Mohr Stories is just sort of the hot podcast right now with a certain audience; maybe they're just tired of Maron's bitching, Rogan being such a meathead, Carolla steamrolling every guest with his stupid loving bits and morning zoo poo poo etc etc.

Peter North fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Aug 17, 2011

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
Good lord, comedy is subjective.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

plastered quack posted:

Good lord, comedy is subjective.

Nope, we all have had the same life experiences and therefore appreciate observational and referential humor the same. :colbert:

ASL NIGGA
Nov 26, 2009

by T. Mascis

NotWearingPants posted:

I can tell already you're a smarmy fat nerd, and I don't even have to know what podcasts you listen to!

Inferring things is fun!

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
Hey guys if you find the Joe Rogan or Corolla podcasts funny, you might be a dumb idiot with a stupid butt face and a dusty bro pussy.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

NotWearingPants posted:

It is the most hilarious thing that you intend this as an insult

A Fistful of Dicks
Jan 8, 2011
It's been a while since I've read/posted in this thread; I HAVE OPINIONS!!!

WoG posted:

You know, there's bitching here just about every week, but I can't remember the last time I didn't love an ep of CBB. Sure, PFT/Daly/etc make for something special, but I don't think I've ever disliked one.

Of the dozens of podcasts I've been listening to, the only ones that have yet to disappoint at all (knock on wood) for me, as in guaranteeing at least 2-3 laughs have been Bill Burr's, Jim and Eddie's Talking poo poo, the Pod F. Tompcast and Superego. With CBB, I found the ones with Paul Reubens and Tim Heidecker (however you spell it) to be intolerably dull and stopped listening before the halfway point.

Mogambo posted:

Nowadays it seems like the episodes have been hit or miss or miss or miss.

Completely agree...on the one hand, there's the weird effort to port the E version of CBB into podcast by

I listen to Superego and Jim and Eddie mostly of off Stitcher on my phone. One of the shows Stitcher is suggesting based on my apparent preferences is a podcast done by Nicole Simpson-loving/O.J. Simpson trial famous Kato Kaelin. I can't imagine it'd be any good, and I'm so wary of anything with that blond idiot's stamp on it that I won't even hazard a listen, but the rest of my recommendations sync up with my preferences pretty well (Adam Carolla, Joe Rogan, Brody Stevens, etc.) so idk. In short: has anyone actually listened to Kaelin's In Pod We Trust podcast, and if so, what'd you think?

ElCondemn posted:

This is why I listen, they learn as 40 year olds what I learned when I was 12 years old. I can't hate him for being so dumb though, it's just funny listening to him and his friends talk about the simplest ideas as though nobody ever considered them.

This describes most liberals in this country. They have the right idea, but their general knowledge of the world is quite limited, so I like hanging around as they gradually saunter into broader awareness. Only thing that bugs me though is that you can't actually reach out to these comedians/podcasters/etc. in real-time so you can say "No, Joe, there are far more than 30 languages in the world," or "Nice conspiracy and all, but have you ever heard of 'Occam's Razor'? It'd save you a lot of time freaking yourself out..."

jyrka posted:

And The Office is of course the best thing Ricky has ever done. And Steve is brilliant. And Ricky is annoying with atheist/shock comedian shtick.

I like Ricky and Steve a lot, but Ricky clearly has some self-development to work on. I love their shows, but Ricky Gervais's stand-up I thought was horrible; he was relying solely on the power of his fame because his jokes were either lamely unoriginal or just :smug: personified.

NotWearingPants posted:

Mohr is interesting to me because he seems off or damaged but I can't put my finger on exactly why. My best guess is that he's a narcissist who once was very popular but now has come back down to Earth.

I've loved Mohr since his appearances on Opie & Anthony and Ron & Fez on Sirius; he's ALWAYS good for a laugh on those shows.

Mohr seems to have a pretty solid acting career. He made good inroads into film and rakes in enough from that work that he can focus on acting instead of a comedy career which would require constant traveling.

NotWearingPants posted:

Also, he seems like a genuinely funny guy, but he relies way too heavily on impressions which seem to me like a crutch for unfunny comics. His impressions are great, but how many times can you hear him doing Tracy Morgan saying "I'm gonna get everyone here pregnant" before it's not funny anymore?

Every comedian has their particular 'niche' when hanging out/ripping on other comics. The 'comedy toolbox' has the same tools all the time (i.e. puns, word play, sound effects, energy, booze or drugs, etc.) that comedians can use to make other comedians laugh. Mohr's most effective tool is using impressions; imho, he's the best impressionist in the business because it doesn't take him long at all to do one of someone he may have only just met. I understand what you mean, and impressions can indeed be boring and hacky, but being able to watch the process unfold in real-time with Mohr was when I decided that he was indeed a savant-level comedy genius.

NotWearingPants posted:

I've heard him mention his "beautiful wife" several times already... does he ever touch on the subject of her horrible plastic surgery?

Something really, really strange happened to the both of them a few years ago; both were very gaunt, huge bags under their eyes, serious over-tanning, etc. I never heard a good explanation, but it struck me as drugs + weird cults...who knows?

Cromulent posted:

Not only because they sound really accurate, but he's incredibly quick with doing material as the person he's impersonating.

...see? Here's another O&A/R&F fan to back me up on his amazing impressionist skills.

Combo posted:

The Dave Foley one too though that was a bit depressing. And I don't think you need to be a stoner to enjoy the episodes with Duncan or Bryan Callen...I'm not, and Callen is my favorite guest by far.

The Doug Stanhope one was also pretty great.

widunder
May 2, 2002

NotWearingPants posted:

Adam Carolla is terrible and Joe Rogan I can take in small portions. Why? I like dumb showbusiness stories I guess.

E: The five CBB episodes I tried listening to just featured characters and obnoxious comedians I guess :confused:

widunder fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Aug 18, 2011

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.

A Fistful of Dicks posted:

It's been a while since I've read/posted in this thread; I HAVE OPINIONS!!!
Well, at least you warned us!

Speaking of the Pod F. Tompcast, has it changed at all from the first 3 or so? I listened to the first one when it first came out and was put off by the rambling, and the fact that the characters he was doing seem to be doing lines rather than having a conversation. Everyone has been talking about how great it is in this thread so I picked it back up and listened to two more, but I'm still feeling the same way. I really love PFT but the first 3 episodes just aren't doing it for me. Is the Tompcast just not for me?

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008

Creflo Chronicle posted:

Well, at least you warned us!

Speaking of the Pod F. Tompcast, has it changed at all from the first 3 or so? I listened to the first one when it first came out and was put off by the rambling, and the fact that the characters he was doing seem to be doing lines rather than having a conversation. Everyone has been talking about how great it is in this thread so I picked it back up and listened to two more, but I'm still feeling the same way. I really love PFT but the first 3 episodes just aren't doing it for me. Is the Tompcast just not for me?

I only enjoy the phone call segment. The character stuff just seems self indulgent.

Teepkick Shakur
May 16, 2008

by XyloJW

Jim and Eddie's Talking poo poo

I like how they've been letting a relatively sober Jason speak more because he's got some funny one liners and his half baked theories on everything are pretty awesome.

When the show devolves into just making fun of Jason it can get a little depressing and somewhat stale. Also holy poo poo does Eddie have enormous anger/rejection issues. I've never seen a guy turn on a girl so quickly like he does whenever a female guest doesn't want to have sex with him.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

This describes most liberals in this country.
Yeah, you're steering this in a great direction.

Peter North
Apr 23, 2003

Teepkick Shakur posted:

I like how they've been letting a relatively sober Jason speak more because he's got some funny one liners and his half baked theories on everything are pretty awesome.

When the show devolves into just making fun of Jason it can get a little depressing and somewhat stale. Also holy poo poo does Eddie have enormous anger/rejection issues. I've never seen a guy turn on a girl so quickly like he does whenever a female guest doesn't want to have sex with him.

The episode with Kaylani Lei was surprisingly awesome. I love when they give Jason a lot of room to work his magic and they don't just bully him the whole time. Jim is obviously loving hilarious but Eddie is the epitome of a zero in the comedy world, with his typical outrageous-trying-to-be-Jim-Norton-so-bad-edgy guy shtick, which always comes off as just mean and rarely funny.

Peter North fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Aug 18, 2011

Teepkick Shakur
May 16, 2008

by XyloJW

Peter North posted:

The episode with Kaylani Lei was surprisingly awesome. I love when they give Jason a lot of room to work his magic and they don't just bully him the whole time. Jim is obviously loving hilarious but Eddie is the epitome of a zero in the comedy world, with his typical outrageous-trying-to-be-Jim-Norton-so-bad-edgy guy shtick, which always comes off as just mean and rarely funny.

I think my favorite episode in recent memory was the one where they got Jason extremely drunk...or one of them...Eddie was being a jerk and mentioned something about Jasons cocaine use. Jason fought back a little in his drunken state and let slip the fact that he actually got his work from Eddie. I wish I could have seen the look in his eyes the moment that happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dip Facial
Feb 29, 2004
Unhealthy Harlequin

Peter North posted:

I basically agree with your assessment of Eddie, but he's actually really personable in real life. I wish he did less of his offensive-as-possible shtick on the show. It doesn't really translate to a podcast, but his ability to destroy hecklers is pretty impressive.

I've heard comics hate to hear this, but I appreciate his crowd work a lot more than his actual material.

• Locked thread