Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marxist Glue
Jan 12, 2007

GLUE GLUEEEEE GLUUUUUUEEE, Karl Marx! GLUUUEEE GLUE GLLLUUUUUEEEEEE!!!!

SwedeRacer posted:

At the risk of being buried in this massive thread, I figured I'd offer up a FREE Goon service:

I'm trying to build up a colorist reel and need some short films, music videos and the like. I figured there are some talented goons so I figured I'd offer some free color grading to any one who might want it.

I'm currently grading on Apple Color and have a Decklink 3d card running out to a Flanders FSI Broadcast monitor. 100% color accurate. I just got my hands on Resolve 8 but don't know how to use it quite yet - that might be something I can offer down the road.

Let me know if you might have something, but it an old project or one you're just finishing up now. Probably the easiest way to get it to me would be a Pro Res file over an FTP, but shoot me an email (Swederacer @ gmail) and we can discuss. I'll be more inclined to work on shorter projects also, so please no 150 minute documentaries.

Heres something I graded a while back: http://vimeo.com/23127016
One of my first projects, but I think it turned out pretty OK.

I'll be shooting a short film (15-20 minutes) in mid-August. Once it's edited, I'll shoot you an email if you're still offering this service!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exp0n
Oct 17, 2004

roll the tapes

exp0n fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Nov 30, 2014

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Just bought a T3i, pretty excited. I've still got my trusty HVX-200, but I wanted a good DSLR for both stills and video. Starting off with the lowest-end lens, but at least I've got a foundation to start building from. I'm taking a train ride all the way up the west coast to Vancouver, so there's going to be a lot of chances to break this camera in.

SwedeRacer
Aug 2, 2004

EnsGDT posted:

That's pretty slick, Swede.

I wish i could give you my recent projects, but we did our own first pass in red cine and plus everything I shoot is owned by florida state university :(

We might have some independent project stuff that we're shooting in the near future though. I'll definitely keep you in mind!

Marxist Glue posted:

I'll be shooting a short film (15-20 minutes) in mid-August. Once it's edited, I'll shoot you an email if you're still offering this service!

exponentory posted:

I very much like the look you created for this piece. I'll definitely let you know if I have something for you

Cool - let me know.

edit: and just so everyone knows, the offer will remain on the table for the foreseeable future.

SwedeRacer fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jul 26, 2011

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
Anyone have an interest in buying my Steadicam Flyer LE?

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Episode 2 of The Great Camera Shootout is up:
http://www.zacuto.com/the-great-camera-shootout-2011/episode-two

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Moon Potato posted:

Episode 2 of The Great Camera Shootout is up:
http://www.zacuto.com/the-great-camera-shootout-2011/episode-two

Man, the compression on the DSLRs slaughters some of the detail in these.

I wonder how they'd fare using the HDMI out and something like one of the Blackmagic cards/boxen to bypass the loving H264?

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

duck monster posted:

Man, the compression on the DSLRs slaughters some of the detail in these.

I wonder how they'd fare using the HDMI out and something like one of the Blackmagic cards/boxen to bypass the loving H264?

The HDMI-out on pretty much all DSLRs is for monitoring only, and superimposes all the stats that the viewfinder does. My understanding is that they have weird subsampling patterns for their video feeds because the camera's internals can't process all the data from a 12+ megapixel sensor at 24fps, so their image detail probably won't be that great even without compression until there are some big leaps in the power/efficiency of image processors.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Moon Potato posted:

The HDMI-out on pretty much all DSLRs is for monitoring only, and superimposes all the stats that the viewfinder does. My understanding is that they have weird subsampling patterns for their video feeds because the camera's internals can't process all the data from a 12+ megapixel sensor at 24fps, so their image detail probably won't be that great even without compression until there are some big leaps in the power/efficiency of image processors.

Apparently magic lantern does let you do this, as well as 4:2:2 and a whole fucktonne of image tweakability unlocked. I'd be interested to see how much that affects HDMI output re the subsampling patterns and poo poo. 'cos it potentially turns one of these little guys into a low budget monster if it could be done right.

chimheil
Jun 22, 2005

I haven't put ML on my 5d because I was under the impression you ned to have it on every CF card and when you remove the battery you lose your prefs. I have heard they fixed the battery thing, but if you have to re-load ML on your cf cards after you format, it's too much of a hassle when you're on a time crunch. If you were sending the signal to an external recorder that would fix the CF issues, but so far I've been able to get by with the Canon firmware.

DSLR's suck compared to the bigger cameras, but it's still better than the 1/3" ccd alternatives for narrative work. Run and gun not so much, but that's a matter of choosing the right tool for the job.

A lot of people over at Cinema5D poo poo on Zacuto, but personally I love seeing the comparisons and the results.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

duck monster posted:

Apparently magic lantern does let you do this, as well as 4:2:2 and a whole fucktonne of image tweakability unlocked. I'd be interested to see how much that affects HDMI output re the subsampling patterns and poo poo. 'cos it potentially turns one of these little guys into a low budget monster if it could be done right.

I'm almost sure that the sensor does not output 4:2:2 over HDMI, so the only real advantage to removing the HUD via Magic Lantern is to attach a DTE recorder and not have to deal with the transcode later on. Also, there's still the issue of these things not resolving a hell of a lot of detail.

I really think the AF100 is the real deal for budget cinema. It's not perfect and in some ways I would prefer the FS100 over it, but it's a killer based on the combination of image quality, functionality, and price.

Walnut Crunch
Feb 26, 2003

1st AD posted:

I'm almost sure that the sensor does not output 4:2:2 over HDMI, so the only real advantage to removing the HUD via Magic Lantern is to attach a DTE recorder and not have to deal with the transcode later on. Also, there's still the issue of these things not resolving a hell of a lot of detail.

I really think the AF100 is the real deal for budget cinema. It's not perfect and in some ways I would prefer the FS100 over it, but it's a killer based on the combination of image quality, functionality, and price.

It's nice to see the AF100 do so well, because we've always felt it was a great little camera, that got too much grief from people who didn't use it.
We love ours.
Though we're still searching for the absolute best setup on it.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

I've been pretty unimpressed with the skin tones and highlights I've seen in AF100 footage - have you been able to find satisfactory settings for dealing with those?

Walnut Crunch
Feb 26, 2003

dvxuser.com has a lot of great setup advice on the af100. Also a lot of good advice about using zebras to handle the highlights they look good.

Can't remember offhand as it's been a month or two since I shot with ours.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

duck monster posted:

Moon Potato posted:

The GH2 can do this, but it looks like a pain in the dick:

http://marvelsfilm.wordpress.com/2011/04/19/panny-gh2-hdmi-recorder-bingo/
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?237584-HDMI-Capture-Problem-SOLVED-AviSynth-RULES!

Especially since even just the atomos ninja costs more than a GH2 body.

They did finally manage to hack the GH2 for significantly higher bitrates, but from what I can tell it's tough to say if that really makes a big difference.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

If it's anything like the bitrate hack in Magic Lantern, probably not worth using ever. I shot a test clip at the Comic-Con - 10mm at f/22 of the Convention Center, lots of dynamic range and fine details. The footage IMMEDIATELY fell apart when I tried to push the color of the highlights.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Ah well. It'd be nice, but I can *sorta* live with this compression. Just an extra annoying stage at post.

Whats the best resource for learning color correction? I learned everything in the 90s when color correction was purely the domain of the bearded guy with the knoby desk worth a mortgage that nobody was allowed to touch. I'm pretty sure I've got this thing shooting right, using the technicolor cinestyle profile or built in flat style, and with the scopes+zebra on magic lantern I can get a pretty good "by the dials" view of what I'm doing (Although a vectorscope would be nice), but I have no idea what I'm doing with post color correction.

StuntKid
Dec 10, 2003

Man_of_Teflon posted:

They did finally manage to hack the GH2 for significantly higher bitrates, but from what I can tell it's tough to say if that really makes a big difference.
It is definitely nicer footage, the biggest feature actually being more grain, like film. The 24mbps it normally shoots at smooths out some of this stuff.

Shot this in 1080P at a hacked rate of 42mbps on the Panasonic GH2. Excellent video quality, better than the 7Ds by far, but that's even before a hack. Was out collecting a load of trees for "Diary of a Wimpy Kid 3" and had some time, figured I'd put something together. Check it out, nothing too crazy but really easy and fun to shoot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuSFPWgEqOQ&hd=1

StuntKid fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Aug 9, 2011

exp0n
Oct 17, 2004

roll the tapes

exp0n fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Nov 30, 2014

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

StuntKid posted:

Shot this in 1080P at a hacked rate of 42mbps on the Panasonic GH2. Excellent video quality, better than the 7Ds by far, but that's even before a hack.

How reliable is the hack with very detailed scenes? Any crashes?

I haven't hacked my GH2 yet as I'm not sure it's worth the trouble (since I'm not doing anything serious with it at the moment) but I love this little camera for my purposes. Canon FD lenses are dirt cheap and still keep the size of the whole package incredibly small. And it managed to survive hours of shooting out in the February blizzard here in Chicago!

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!
This seems like the best place to ask this. What's a decent enough camera that can shoot 720 at 120fps? It'll be a rental, so price isn't too much of an issue. I'd prefer a fixed lens, if it'll keep costs down.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I'm pretty sure your only options are a RED, Phantom, or Weisscam.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

1st AD posted:

I'm pretty sure your only options are a RED, Phantom, or Weisscam.

RED it is then. Phantoms are rare and about $5000+ a day without an operator lately and nobody ever has a Weisscam available.

exp0n
Oct 17, 2004

roll the tapes

exp0n fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Nov 30, 2014

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

Unexpected EOF posted:

RED it is then. Phantoms are rare and about $5000+ a day without an operator lately and nobody ever has a Weisscam available.

poo poo, actually I may as well just use Twixtor and some creative cropping/VFX tricks to hide the distortion. The motion is pretty uniform so any major problems would be easy to mask out.

SquareDog
Feb 8, 2004

silent but deadly

Unexpected EOF posted:

How about the IDT Diablo? It's much cheaper than the Phantom and it can do up to 1500 fps. It's most famous use was for The Hurt Locker.

Also I just happen to do Diablo tech work (wink wink, nudge nudge).

StuntKid
Dec 10, 2003

exponentory posted:

I really like that first shot with the truck backing up, it's very Breaking Bad in style.
Thanks, really appreciate it. Pretty happy with most of the shots for working under the gun.

Man_of_Teflon posted:

How reliable is the hack with very detailed scenes? Any crashes?

I haven't hacked my GH2 yet as I'm not sure it's worth the trouble (since I'm not doing anything serious with it at the moment) but I love this little camera for my purposes. Canon FD lenses are dirt cheap and still keep the size of the whole package incredibly small. And it managed to survive hours of shooting out in the February blizzard here in Chicago!
First time my friend tried following my truck out of the bushes and was moving handheld, it crashed on him, too much movement. Other than that I've had absolutely no issues with the recommended settings.

The cheap lenses are great. I'm hoping to pick up the Voigtlander f/.95 25mm in the near future to be my work horse lense, but right now trying to get my C-mount lenses to work on this puppy. Looking to get a good cheap DSLR stabilizer for my shoulder so I can shoot without getting quite so much jello.
You got any Messaging software? I'd love to keep in touch with another GH2 user.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

exponentory posted:

Speaking of RED, I had a hell of a time dealing with one last weekend. Overheating and drop frames all over the place. We were shooting on a jib in a small room, which was pretty hot, to a red drive (CF module was shot due to a bent pin). One of the main problems is that it wouldn't cut the roll after it was shooting for over a few minutes and had to be hard rebooted. Is this just an issue with the original non MXd Red ones or just a heat limit for writing to the Red drive?
REDs do not like heat, it will affect everything on it. I heard of a rental house in Arizona that gives out icepacks with every rental as standard and even then they can crash monstrously. They made some infuriatingly stupid design decisions regarding heat, such as having the airholes on the bottom when even a highschool kid knows that heat rises so those holes do absolutely nothing unless you blow cold air in them constantly. If they'd just opened up those pointless ridges on the top to let hot air out I think that alone would've made it 50% better in the heat. It's really something you have to stay on top of while shooting, once environmental temperatures go above the 90s you should start to seriously consider ways to cool the camera (such as the icepack or even a reflector if you're outside to bounce the sun away).

In other news, I just wrapped my fourth film as DP and am about to go into grading for it. Was a tremendous amount of fun and we managed to do some amazing things for a budget of less than 400.000 Euros. I cut together a short demo reel from some of the footage and would love to share it with you but, because the film is unreleased, I can't put it on YouTube so anyone who wants to see it will need to be added to my Dropbox :)

Here's a bunch of random pictures of the production for no other reason than to kill your bandwith:

Steadiman fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Aug 12, 2011

SquareDog
Feb 8, 2004

silent but deadly
Another Dutch Christmas movie, huh? You must have the DP market cornered on that now. ;)

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

Steadiman posted:

Words about RED cameras and heat issues

Well poo poo, looks like if we get our locations we'll be renting Diablos or just working with the cameras we have already and hacking slow-mo. Desert shooting, so there's going to be heat problems all around.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

silly sevens

SquareDog posted:

Another Dutch Christmas movie, huh? You must have the DP market cornered on that now. ;)
What can I say, those producers really like me. It's a very small market though so not hard to corner :). Though I am finally shooting a non-santa related movie in January. Shooting in Greece if all goes well and we start preproduction in October/November. I must say I am really enjoying my gradual move into serious DP-ing and have been getting more and more nibbles from abroad too so I'm sure I'll be over there to take your jobs in that department as well soon. Deal with it!

Unexpected EOF posted:

Well poo poo, looks like if we get our locations we'll be renting Diablos or just working with the cameras we have already and hacking slow-mo. Desert shooting, so there's going to be heat problems all around.
Well it can be dealt with if you take good care to keep the sun off the RED and to be aware of the problem. Just keep some icepacks close to the camera and you should be okay with some luck. I've shot in the desert with them and with ample cooling we were fine. It's just another thing to be aware of with RED. Ofcourse it can also crash like a UFO at Roswell and no amount of covering it up will protect you then. It's still a very peculiar piece of equipment. Viva Alexa!

Steadiman fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Aug 12, 2011

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

Steadiman posted:

Well it can be dealt with if you take good care to keep the sun off the RED and to be aware of the problem. Just keep some icepacks close to the camera and you should be okay with some luck. I've shot in the desert with them and with ample cooling we were fine. It's just another thing to be aware of with RED. Ofcourse it can also crash like a UFO at Roswell and no amount of covering it up will protect you then. It's still a very peculiar piece of equipment. Viva Alexa!

It's more a concern with a few things related to this being our first major production. Insurance and the like will cover all of this, but if stuff starts breaking it's going to possibly drive our minuscule budget overbudget which isn't something we have a lot of wiggleroom with.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
My classmates and I shot for two months this past summer in the Florida panhandle using an MX upgrade Red writing to CF cards and we never once had any of those problems. God knows that loving red hard drive is finicky, maybe it was the drive of the cable connecting to it.

I kept some gel ice packs around but honestly that was only the three shows I was involved in camera team or DPing. The other twenty shows we shot didn't use gel packs and did just fine. If you keep a flag over it and blow the ports in the bottom of it clean with canned air, in my experience, you should be just fine.

SquareDog
Feb 8, 2004

silent but deadly
I've done a bunch of shoots in Phoenix and it can be a huge problem, getting good airflow around the camera is the main key. Shade helps and sometimes ice packs are necessary.

Mozzie
Oct 26, 2007
How to solve ever red problem ever: shoot on alexa.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
Anyone have any experience with macro videography? I'm going to be shooting a short film in which two characters will be playing a game of Go. I'd like to get some nice macro footage of pieces moving and being placed on the board. This will most likely be shot on my T2i, so with the large sensor size I understand I will most likely need to close the aperature way down if I want a decent depth of field. This will necessitate a lot more light on the game board.

Anyone have a recommendation on lenses? Are any movement techniques possible or would that require absurdly specialized gear (I doubt they make macro jibs)? I have a macro focusing rail but I've never used it and considering how cheap it was, I kinda doubt its efficacy.

Thanks!

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Could you use the macro focusing rail sideways like a teensy tiny slider? Cause that might look sweet. I don't actually know anything as I've never done macro video so this may be a silly idea.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

powderific posted:

Could you use the macro focusing rail sideways like a teensy tiny slider? Cause that might look sweet. I don't actually know anything as I've never done macro video so this may be a silly idea.

The movement on mine isn't smooth enough for that unfortunately. You really have to crank it. I did find a video of a guy who built a simple tabletop macro jib that yielded some very impressive results so I'll probably give that a try.

chimheil
Jun 22, 2005

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

The movement on mine isn't smooth enough for that unfortunately. You really have to crank it. I did find a video of a guy who built a simple tabletop macro jib that yielded some very impressive results so I'll probably give that a try.

I did a shoot at General Mills for some recipes and they used something very similar to this http://vimeo.com/10516250. I think the guy was using a Tokina lens and a 7d. The Canon 100mm L Macro is supposed to be an amazing lens for macro work, but I haven't personally used it. It was a homemade skate dolly and it worked great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

silly sevens

Mozzie posted:

How to solve ever red problem ever: shoot on alexa.
If only producers realized this. I'd be very happy. It really is the best camera out there right now, and getting better. Speaking of which: All you Alexa peeps out there, ARRI have now released a program called "Look Creator" that will allow you to build a look on set and apply it in-camera, and also export it as LUT. So far I've been doing that using "Iridas Speedgrade OnSet", which is awesome, but this is a lot quicker and better integrated. It's not nearly as advanced as Speedgrade is, but I kinda like the simplicity of it. Speedgrade can be a bit overkill and complex on a tight schedule. If you're on a Mac you should totally download it!. There's also a new software update (4.0) for the Alexa though I haven't read what it does yet. Go get it!

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

I think you can easily improvise your own jib. They are not that hard to make, it's just a balanced boom arm with two pivots. The only tricky part of a jib is the construction that keeps the head straight but if your movements are small you could get away without it and just use a boom arm and tilt the camera to keep the frame. With a camera that light it should be really easy to DIY it using household components and a lot of gaffertape and tie wraps :).

You wouldn't even need a dolly in such a small space, if you size the arm right, and have a boom and a swing axis for traversing the board, then you can do everything with it and get the lens really close to the action. Sounds so me like you are going to have a fun afternoon building it! Just remember to add enough counterweight and you'll be fine. Hell, I think for a game board you could get away with a very short arm, maybe even a 2:1 ratio would be enough weight wise.

Also I've put a low res version of my reel on Vimeo now, it's password protected (again because I'm not officially allowed to show this stuff yet) but the password is my user name :), feel free to have a look, but remember that it is ungraded footage still. http://www.vimeo.com/27724230

Steadiman fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Aug 18, 2011