Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer

Tapedump posted:

Although, I think his dismissing how much trouble older, lower RAM iPhones have when trying to perform toe-to-toe with their 4G counterparts.

Which one? 3GS runs pretty well and almost as fast as the 4 in most uses while 3G and 2G (same processor/RAM) are ancient by today's standard. It's amazing that they will even run 3.x/4.x at all.

Just try and think of some android (or any other smartphone really) that came out around the same time as 3G, July 2008.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.
I definitely notice a performance hit on my iPhone when I get below ~100mb of RAM.

It makes no sense, but it definitely happens. Then one tap on my RemoveBG toggle in SBSettings and its all better, but it's sort of annoying.

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
So I jailbroke my friend's iPad, and now it doesnt charge correctly. It has an error message that says "Not Charging", but it is charging, just slowly. I used Jailbreakme on version 4.3.3, and it worked fine before. At first, I assumed it was my cable, so I tried a different one, then I tried a wall charger, same issue. If I leave it off, I have the best luck, I got to 50% overnight. If I have it doing something, I don't seem to gain or loose much battery. Any ideas?

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
The wall charger you used before gave you no issues? Only the "big" wall charger (i.e. not the one that comes with the iPhone) will give you full charging, anything over standard USB will give you that "Not Charging" thing and will only charge it at a very slow rate, if the screen is off. This has nothing to do with jailbreaking.

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
You know that may be it. My friend gave me the charger with it, and the battery at 100%. She didn't mention anything about it, so I assumed it was normal. Both cables work fine with my iPhone. Oddly, the car charger seems to work well.

jihad_jain
May 8, 2011
Ok, so I bought camerabuttons a couple of days ago, and it was working fine until yesterday i think it was.

the only thing that i've installed from cydia since when it stopped working is activator, could there be something i need to toggle in activator in order to restore the camerabuttons?

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

jihad_jain posted:

Ok, so I bought camerabuttons a couple of days ago
You couldn't just wait a couple weeks? lol

jihad_jain
May 8, 2011

coldplay chiptunes posted:

You couldn't just wait a couple weeks? lol

I was coming off an evo 3d. I couldn't wait at all.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I completely forgot that DRMed ebooks were broken on jailbroken devices. Is there any fix for that?

I mean, it's mostly readable but it's annoying as hell how it will randomly skip entire chapters and images won't work 90% of the time.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
Anyone else seen the flicker of an iAd (or some sort of top bar ad) really fast when opening applications? It seems to appear for a split second at the top of my display when opening any application- jb, native apple or otherwise.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I completely forgot that DRMed ebooks were broken on jailbroken devices. Is there any fix for that?

I mean, it's mostly readable but it's annoying as hell how it will randomly skip entire chapters and images won't work 90% of the time.

I haven't tested anything on JailbreakMe 3.0, but I know iBooks will "always" be broken on the old 4.3.x jailbreak due to kernel issues (according the i0n1c, the one who made the jailbreak). I don't know if JailbreakMe 3.0 uses different kernel patches and allows iBooks to work. Asking around (here or other sites) usually gets you one or more of the following three responses:

1) iBooks works great! (when it obviously doesn't, and even the jailbreak devs confirmed it doesn't work)
2) "readin' is for suckers."
3) "Who uses iBooks?" Use Kindle/Google/or some other app that also can't open iBooks files.

4.2.1 is the only version of iOS that I know of where iBooks works correctly. It always opens, and DRM works.

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together -- mass hysteria.

adm posted:

Anyone else seen the flicker of an iAd (or some sort of top bar ad) really fast when opening applications? It seems to appear for a split second at the top of my display when opening any application- jb, native apple or otherwise.

I used to get this. I don't think I ever really found a solution. I tried killing processes through SBSettings, but I eventually restored my phone and am not jailbroken anymore.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
I'm thinking of going back to being non-jailbroken. I love the convenience of BiteSMS and stuff, but my phone has been really unstable lately and it's just aggravating.

My purchases (BiteSMS, Lockinfo, MyWi) will be preserved on Cydia's end if I decide to re-jailbreak in the future, correct?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

illcendiary posted:

My purchases (BiteSMS, Lockinfo, MyWi) will be preserved on Cydia's end if I decide to re-jailbreak in the future, correct?

Yes.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Xenomorph posted:

Yes.

Thanks, that's great to hear. In any case, I'm first going to try to restore to 4.3.3 (I'm jailbroken on 4.2.1 right now) and see if that works. Pretty sure my SHSH blob for that is saved. Hope it's more stable than my greenpoison jailbreak that I have right now.

Edit: Didn't work :(. Error 3194.

illcendiary fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Aug 14, 2011

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

illcendiary posted:

Thanks, that's great to hear. In any case, I'm first going to try to restore to 4.3.3 (I'm jailbroken on 4.2.1 right now) and see if that works. Pretty sure my SHSH blob for that is saved. Hope it's more stable than my greenpoison jailbreak that I have right now.

Edit: Didn't work :(. Error 3194.

Nevermind. Ran TinyUmbrella and it looks like everything is peachy now.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Xenomorph posted:

I haven't tested anything on JailbreakMe 3.0, but I know iBooks will "always" be broken on the old 4.3.x jailbreak due to kernel issues (according the i0n1c, the one who made the jailbreak). I don't know if JailbreakMe 3.0 uses different kernel patches and allows iBooks to work. Asking around (here or other sites) usually gets you one or more of the following three responses:

1) iBooks works great! (when it obviously doesn't, and even the jailbreak devs confirmed it doesn't work)
2) "readin' is for suckers."
3) "Who uses iBooks?" Use Kindle/Google/or some other app that also can't open iBooks files.

4.2.1 is the only version of iOS that I know of where iBooks works correctly. It always opens, and DRM works.

That's too bad. If I understand correctly, though, other e-book readers (Kindle/Google/etc.) will work correctly with books purchased off their respective vendors, right?

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
I read the FAQ and didn't quite see anything applicable, but I'll grant I'm maybe just not savvy enough to deal with a jailbroken phone.

I bought a jailbroken G4 off a dude on Craigslist yesterday, got my AT&T sim card transfered onto an iPhone sized sim card, so it no longer says "no sim", it just says "no service". Even knowing that Apple won't service a jailbroke, I dropped by the store anyway, they tried hard-restarting it a few times to no avail, and then just told me that I'd have to go on iTunes and restore the original software and lose the jailbreak. The Apple person was "pretty sure" that mine is originally an AT&T phone and should work with my AT&T sim.

Should I just go and restore the original software and hope it doesn't turn out that mine is originally a Verizon phone or whatever and needs to be re-jailbroke? Or is there some application within Cydia that I need to use to get it to read my AT&T sim?

I tried googling up info on what to do about this, and found oddly contradictory answers: one guy said there's some further "unlock" step when putting in a new sim (distinct from the original jailbreak) and another said that you have to plug it into iTunes to sync up the jailbroke phone (yet not re-install the original program). Any idea?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
First thing, connect it to your computer and run Tiny Umbrella to make sure you have the SHSH backed up for it.

If it has already been jailbroken, there is a chance that you can restore clean to 4.3.3 still.

Also, Verizon phones don't have SIM cards.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Xenomorph posted:

First thing, connect it to your computer and run Tiny Umbrella to make sure you have the SHSH backed up for it.

If it has already been jailbroken, there is a chance that you can restore clean to 4.3.3 still.

Okay, I downloaded TU and hit the "start TSS server" button. It's still running. Once that's done... do I try to use iTunes to restore the iPhone, or is there a different step?

EDIT: And TU is supposed to keep running for 30+ minutes?

EDIT2: Read on the FirmwareUmbrella blog that you run the TSS server while syncing with iTunes, so I did the "sync", which doesn't appear to be the full restore of the original software. Now instead of "no signal" I have just one bar, no matter whether I'm in my apartment, in the elevator, standing outside, whatever. And no matter what anything I dial just says "call failed" can't get any internet, etc. So I'm not sure I'm any closer. EDIT3: and now back to "no service".

Am I supposed to do the full restore on iTunes?

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Aug 16, 2011

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
- Connect to TU and hit "Save SHSH". Pray that it has your 4.3.3 SHSH.

- Download the 4.3.3 IPSW for your device.
http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/

IF you get the 4.3.3 SHSH, then click the "Start TSS Server" in TU.
Hold Shift and click Restore in iTunes, select the 4.3.3 IPSW. This will wipe the phone and do a clean install.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Xenomorph posted:

- Connect to TU and hit "Save SHSH". Pray that it has your 4.3.3 SHSH.

- Download the 4.3.3 IPSW for your device.
http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/

IF you get the 4.3.3 SHSH, then click the "Start TSS Server" in TU.
Hold Shift and click Restore in iTunes, select the 4.3.3 IPSW. This will wipe the phone and do a clean install.

Okay, saved the SHSH. It says I'm a "MC608LL/A - iPhone4" and my firmware is "4.3.2". So am I proper hosed since I don't have 4.3.3?

Is the final fall-back option to just un-jailbreak it and restore to Apple setting using iTunes? Any way to tell in advance if this is indeed an AT&T phone and my AT&T sim (currently inserted) will work if I return it to Apple settings?

EDIT: Baseband 03.10.01-ICE_2_8 .

EDIT2: Do I just download one of the Felixbruns.de firmware's regardless? There are several options for the GSM iPhone 4, and none appear to match any of the descriptions of my phone in TU.

Xenomorph: also sent you a PM, in case that'd be easier

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Aug 16, 2011

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I dunno why Xenomorph was so hellbent on you saving your SHSHes when all you really seem concerned with is having a working phone first, and a jailbroken phone second. But then again I think he's the crazy guy that backs up all his friends and family's SHSHes too, so...anyway.

If your phone has a SIM card slot, it's a GSM phone, simple as that, so it's not a Verizon phone. There's a chance that it could be an iPhone from another country, that is locked to that country's carrier or whatever. It seems really unlikely, though. It's been a long while since I had to deal with a locked phone, but when I first had an American iPhone here in Taiwan, I think it spit out a message like "Invalid SIM" or something when I tried to use a SIM on a different carrier than the one it was locked too. Since you're not getting any of these messages (just "No Service", right?) I don't think this is the case.

Personally, yeah I would just completely wipe the phone clean and install the latest official firmware from Apple. You'll lose the jailbreak for sure, but that might just be what is causing the problem in the first place. The previous owner might have installed something weird that's loving it up.

The downside is that if the phone truly is locked to some other foreign carrier, you'd also lose any chance at unlocking it, since the only way to unlock is via a jailbroken device. I don't even know if there are any current unlocks that don't involve you having not updated the baseband of your device since some ancient version, though, so... :shobon:

There's no way to tell for sure that factory reseting it will make it work. If the jailbreak isn't interfering, it could be a problem on AT&T's end, they could have messed up transferring your account to the microSIM or maybe some changes haven't propagated through the system. Or the device could just be busted, who knows, maybe that's why the guy unloaded it on you. Maybe he tried unlocking it himself and installed the iPad 2 baseband or whatever (is that still a thing that people do?), who knows.

fake edit: I just read your post again, it sounds like that's the weird bug with ultrasn0w that was causing the phone to always display 1 bar. Personally, unless you need the jailbreak I'd just ditch it and move up to the latest version of iOS but I'm pretty sure you could uninstall Ultrasn0w from Cydia and not have that problem anyway? Someone else can speak better about it than me.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Okay, I decided to just ditch the jailbreak for now. I plugged into iTunes and tried to do just the software update, but after 45min of processing it suddenly pops up with a message box saying I'm not eligible for upgrade.

I then tried the "Restore" button, and get "The iPhone (my name) could not be restored. This device isn't elgible for the requested build."

I went to the "More info" button, read the troubleshooting: my iTunes and my OS are up to date, so the main thing that looks applicable is this:

quote:

If you have installed software to perform unauthorized modifications to your iOS device, that software may have redirected connections to the update server (gs.apple.com) within the Hosts file. You may receive an error 1004, 1013, 3194, or "This device is not eligible for the requested build" in this circumstance. For steps to edit the Hosts file and allow iTunes to communicate with the update server, follow the steps in the Blocked by configuration (Mac OS X / Windows) > Rebuild network information > The hosts file may also be blocking the iTunes Store section of iTunes: Troubleshooting iTunes Store on your computer, iPhone, iPad, or iPod.

So does it look like mayhaps my Host file has been dicked with? And I should follow the "rebuild network information" bit?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

POCKET CHOMP posted:

I dunno why Xenomorph was so hellbent on you saving your SHSHes when all you really seem concerned with is having a working phone first, and a jailbroken phone second. But then again I think he's the crazy guy that backs up all his friends and family's SHSHes too, so...anyway.

Well, this *is* the jailbreak thread, and having your 4.3.3. SHSH is required to install the latest untethered jailbreak-able iOS.

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

So does it look like mayhaps my Host file has been dicked with? And I should follow the "rebuild network information" bit?

Tiny Unbrella may change your Hosts file. Run it again and make sure it doesn't say something like "Set Hosts to Cydia on exit".

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
Which specifically will be in the advanced tab, like so:

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Xenomorph posted:

Tiny Unbrella may change your Hosts file. Run it again and make sure it doesn't say something like "Set Hosts to Cydia on exit".

Ah, when I ran it again it did indeed say "you currently have Set Hosts to Cydia on Exit, if you are having issues restoring, you need to uncheck this box and Apply Changes."

So I should go ahead and uncheck (to allow it to go back to Apple hosts?), apply changes, and then go back to iTunes and Restore?

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

Xenomorph posted:

Well, this *is* the jailbreak thread, and having your 4.3.3. SHSH is required to install the latest untethered jailbreak-able iOS.

Yeah but the dude is obviously just trying to get a phone that works, and seems like he's kind of in over his head. He came here because he had a jailbroken phone, that's all. And now TU is causing him to have issues with his hosts files, it just seems like another unnecessary step of trouble.

Anyway, TTFA, yes, you should uncheck that so that your host files work normally, and then the reset via iTunes should work.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Anyway, TTFA, yes, you should uncheck that so that your host files work normally, and then the reset via iTunes should work.

Okay, found the box and unchecked it, and in the Advanced menu it does say "you need to uncheck this if you need a clean restore from Apple." Only glitch at the moment is that TU mentions an "apply settings" button, but there's no such button on my screen or in the menus, and if I just close out of TU, when I go back in it still says that I need to uncheck the box (though it shows up as unchecked).

Do I hit the button on TU that says "enter Recovery" at the top, or is that a whole different thing from "Restore" on iTunes? It's just a bit vexing that there's no actual visible "Apply changes" button such as TU itself mentions.

EDIT: Still couldn't find an "Apply" button, but tried quitting from the menu vice closing with the "x", and now it appears iTunes is letting the restore through.

EDIT2: Allahu akbar, original settings restored and has a strong signal. Sorry for cluttering up the jailbreak thread for "how do I escape this jailbreak nightmare?" but clearly I was in way over my head. Thanks much for the support, and if either of y'all is in or comes to DC, PM me for a beer. And if any of y'all need help on a subject where I actually am not a bumbling idiot, I have an A/T thread on how to choose and learn the weirder musical instruments.

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Aug 16, 2011

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Don't worry about it, glad you got it working :) Enjoy!

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.
So I had a bit of a scare this morning and thought maybe I was going to have to restore my phone using Recovery or DFU mode, as it seemed to be stuck at the Apple logo on boot-up. Luckily it did eventually boot into the springboard and everything is hunky dory.

However, it made me raise the question...can I restore from a recent backup in iTunes and all of my jailbroken goodies will make it through the restore process? I'm guessing not, as I'm doubtful the jailbreak apps are even included in the backup files; so what are my options? I just don't want to go through the hassle of re-downloading apps if things were to go bad.

I read in the OP about DataDeposit, but that just seems to backup saved application data, which I'm not particularly concerned about. I don't have saved games or anything of that nature. I'm just happy with the setup of my phone at the moment, and would not want to start from scratch again.

Is there a nice list out there that tells me what I can backup via SSH to save all my jailbreak apps and settings?

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

Is that you, John Wayne? Is this me?

Rick Rickshaw posted:

So I had a bit of a scare this morning and thought maybe I was going to have to restore my phone using Recovery or DFU mode, as it seemed to be stuck at the Apple logo on boot-up. Luckily it did eventually boot into the springboard and everything is hunky dory.

However, it made me raise the question...can I restore from a recent backup in iTunes and all of my jailbroken goodies will make it through the restore process? I'm guessing not, as I'm doubtful the jailbreak apps are even included in the backup files; so what are my options? I just don't want to go through the hassle of re-downloading apps if things were to go bad.

I read in the OP about DataDeposit, but that just seems to backup saved application data, which I'm not particularly concerned about. I don't have saved games or anything of that nature. I'm just happy with the setup of my phone at the moment, and would not want to start from scratch again.

Is there a nice list out there that tells me what I can backup via SSH to save all my jailbreak apps and settings?

From the OP, this little terminal trick works wonders. If you restore from a backup, and restore your jailbreak apps this way, all of your settings will remain.

The OP posted:

Q: I'm currently using a jailbroken device and would like to upgrade to the newest version of iOS. How can I do this without losing everything?
A: First of all, you should always have a backup of your device done through iTunes (http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1766). Second, do not use one of the available programs on Cydia that are designed to back-up your device. They suck. Instead, you can do this with a simple terminal script (courtesy of withak):

Before updating your device via iTunes:
code:
dpkg --get-selections > packages.txt
After updating:

Jailbreak then install OpenSSH and APT via Cydia then SSH in and do
code:
dpkg --set-selections < packages.txt
apt-get -u dselect-upgrade
Use this in conjunction with the Cydia Application DataDeposit, which saves application and game data to Dropbox to allow easy backup. Alternatively, you can use either iFile, available on Cydia, or iPhone Explorer, which works without the need to jailbreak, to manually copy and replace application data.

edit: if you're on a PC, I have no idea how to help with this.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

HorseDickSandwich posted:

From the OP, this little terminal trick works wonders. If you restore from a backup, and restore your jailbreak apps this way, all of your settings will remain.

edit: if you're on a PC, I have no idea how to help with this.

PC seemed to be no problem. I used putty...it created a file like this:

code:
apr-lib						install
apt7-key					install
apt7-lib					install
base						install
bash						install
bzip2						install
com.aerialx.ishshit				install
If it works as advertised, that's pretty sweet.

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

Is that you, John Wayne? Is this me?

Rick Rickshaw posted:

PC seemed to be no problem. I used putty...it created a file like this:

code:
apr-lib						install
apt7-key					install
apt7-lib					install
base						install
bash						install
bzip2						install
com.aerialx.ishshit				install
If it works as advertised, that's pretty sweet.

Yea, that looks about right. You should be good when you go to restore everything. Just sync again before you update to make sure your phone retains the file you just created.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Your Honor, why am I pink?!
Is there any way to set MyWi to display how much data is being consumed for a given session?

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!
I have a 3G that I want to sell. It is jailbroken - 4.2.1 & baseband 6.15.00. How would I wipe it clean and then jailbreak and unlock it again?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

furushotakeru posted:

Is there any way to set MyWi to display how much data is being consumed for a given session?
There's a data usage line for down and up on the status screen.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.

Whitezombi posted:

I have a 3G that I want to sell. It is jailbroken - 4.2.1 & baseband 6.15.00. How would I wipe it clean and then jailbreak and unlock it again?

Don't bother doing all that, just go to Settings...General...Reset and choose Erase all Content and Settings.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Aug 17, 2011

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

frumpsnake posted:

Don't bother doing all that, just go to Settings...General...Reset and choose Erase all Content and Settings.

Doesn't that literally delete everything if you're jailbroken, since it gets permission to run as root?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
I thought it just wiped out the secondary partition, but now that I remember about everything that gets moved to that partition and symlinked during the jailbreak process, yeah, that'll get your phone stuck in recovery mode.

With 6.15 on there you'll need to make a custom 4.2.1 IPSW with PwnageTool or sn0wbreeze.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Aug 17, 2011

• Locked thread