Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Fag Boy Jim posted:

As good as it is, he might want to wait a few months for the inevitable GOTY-edition with all 4 DLCs comes out.

The DLC goes on sale pretty often surprisingly, I've picked all of it up for $15 and honestly if there's one game where its worth paying full price its FO:NV. I think I've sunk 150+ hours into it so far with no end in sight, I'm still playing DLC and replaying it at least 4 hours a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bats
Sep 6, 2003

With great power comes great responsiblity...TO ROCK OUT!

Mister Snips posted:

360 controllers have unfortunately become the pc gaming standard.

Do dualshock 3's work as well as they do? because I might just buy one. Dualshocks own, mostly because their build quality isn't poo poo.

Dualshocks work plenty fine, they are just not natively supported. MotionInJoy drivers turn them into a 360 clone for games that support only the 360 controller, but it's not 100% compatible. I used to love the dual shock too, but it was only with the 360 controller that I was able to play fps games on the consoles... having mis-matched analog sticks helps a lot more than you'd think.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
^^^ Analog triggers are really nice, too.

Mister Snips posted:

360 controllers have unfortunately become the pc gaming standard.

Do dualshock 3's work as well as they do? because I might just buy one. Dualshocks own, mostly because their build quality isn't poo poo.

What's wrong with 360 controllers?

WHOOPS fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Aug 17, 2011

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.

KFCB posted:

All three of mine have developed slight drift on at least one of the analog sticks. That's a significantly higher failure rate compared to all the other controllers that enter my life, especially for a $40 one.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
You have to pay like $70 to get a 360 controller with a decent dpad too :(

I've had no issues with the build quality itself though. If anything I find the dual shock 3 to be light and kind of cheap feeling in comparison. It also gets really uncomfortable after about an hour and MotionInJoy is a piece of hoary poo poo.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Amrosorma posted:

To be fair, I am an indie PC games developer and Epic has made my life (and the lives of a lot of PC game devs) so much better in just the last year or so.

In that regard, they've done more than Valve or anyone else right now.

How? I'm curious.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I'll never use a controller for PC gaming, keyboard or bust! If developers won't devote time to make their game work for that than they can gently caress themselves. Plus I have a PS3 for messing around with console poo poo.

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

I don't think you've been paying attention

The Grumbles posted:

How? I'm curious.

http://www.udk.com/

And funnily enough, I imagine most hardcore PC gamers don't even know about this when they go off on Epic for not caring about PC gaming.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
So, what's happened to the unreal engine in the past year or so to make everyone's lives so much easier?

edit: Oh I see, so it's free now or something?

VVVV Er yeah, I saw that, this post is a reply to that. I suppose you could say I am "responding to his post"

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Aug 17, 2011

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Oh grandpa...

Amrosorma posted:

http://www.udk.com/

And funnily enough, I imagine most hardcore PC gamers don't even know about this when they go off on Epic for not caring about PC gaming.

Also: http://www.crydev.net/dm_eds/download_detail.php?id=4

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

The Grumbles posted:

So, what's happened to the unreal engine in the past year or so to make everyone's lives so much easier?

edit: Oh I see, so it's free now or something?

VVVV Er yeah, I saw that, this post is a reply to that. I suppose you could say I am "responding to his post"

UDK is not free if you want to sell your games; there's a license fee you have to pay, but it's absolutely nothing compared to the millions of dollars you have to pay for Unreal Engine 3 (or any other game engine for that matter).

Here are some examples of indie PC games going big thanks to Epic:

http://www.theballthegame.com/
http://www.indiedb.com/games/sanctum
http://dungeondefenders.com/ (not yet released but it is silly fun on Android/iOS)
http://www.heroesofstalingrad.com/ (coming out in like a couple weeks!!!) :f5:

The future of innovative PC gaming is not Unreal Tournament 4 or whatever. It's indie games made on SDKs like Epic's UDK (and as noted above, now Crytek's CDK). However, I'm still really interested in whatever new IPs Epic might be working on.

Strong Female fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Aug 17, 2011

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
So, what can you do with a license for the Unreal Engine 3 that you can't with a license for the UDK?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
You get source code access I believe, I'm not sure about the other licensing benefits though. I would imagine a support contract is built into a license agreement.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Copper Vein posted:

All three of mine have developed slight drift on at least one of the analog sticks. That's a significantly higher failure rate compared to all the other controllers that enter my life, especially for a $40 one.

KFCB posted:

^^^ Analog triggers are really nice, too.

The DS3 controllers have not only analogue triggers, but the rest of the buttons are pressure sensitive, except for start/select and the PS button.

But what's wrong with the 360 controller in my opinion is the dpad(which is designed terribly) and the comparatively stiff face buttons, I prefer the stick layout on the 360 for shooters but otherwise the stick layout makes no difference to me.

As has been said the build quality on them isn't fantastic, it's not "terrible" by any means, but the drift issue on the analogue sticks is something I've had with both of my 360 controllers(one wired, one not) and is infuriating, PS3 controllers can develop the same issue but from what I've seen it is both less prevalent and severe compared to the 360 controller.

I'm very used to the shape of the PS/DS controller having had a PSX, PS2 and PS3 but I do prefer the way the 360 pad fits into my hand, though the PS3 pad isn't uncomfortable at all, just not as snug a fit as the 360's.

Vintersorg posted:

I'll never use a controller for PC gaming, keyboard or bust! If developers won't devote time to make their game work for that than they can gently caress themselves. Plus I have a PS3 for messing around with console poo poo.

Some games just outright play better with a controller, a mouse and keyboard is better for most games by a huge degree, for certain, but it's sometimes not down to devs not trying hard enough and it just being a case of a mouse and keyboard not being suited to the inputs required for a game, for example for what you gain in terms of accuracy with a mouse you lose out with WASD being locked representing only 8 directions when you might need the range of direction that an analogue stick brings.

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

The Grumbles posted:

So, what can you do with a license for the Unreal Engine 3 that you can't with a license for the UDK?

Source code access and far, far, far better documentation and support are the two biggies.

However, source code access is something that the vast majority of small-scale indie developers don't really need anyway. Short of multiplayer environmental deformation (:smith:), you can basically do anything else in any kind of game with the UDK.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Vintersorg posted:

Will you never play a flight sim with a joystick?

Lots of indie developed PC-only games are best with a gamepad, and it's not because they're lazy or anything. It's because of their game design. Saying every PC game must work best with a keyboard and mouse just limits the amount of creativity developers can express. PCs have had gamepads for decades and there's nothing wrong with them.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

PC gaming is about options and poo poo.

Controllers are an option.

:shepface:

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

lohli posted:

Some games just outright play better with a controller, a mouse and keyboard is better for most games by a huge degree, for certain, but it's sometimes not down to devs not trying hard enough and it just being a case of a mouse and keyboard not being suited to the inputs required for a game, for example for what you gain in terms of accuracy with a mouse you lose out with WASD being locked representing only 8 directions when you might need the range of direction that an analogue stick brings.

True, but what I see more often is simply a lazy remapping of controller buttons to keyboard keys, which is especially apparent when you have multi-function, context-sensitive buttons. The first time I really noticed this was Gears of War, where the spacebar basically replaces the A button on the controller:

It's not particularly bad for that game, but it is a fairly obvious instance.

Sometimes games really are inherently designed better for a controller, like the Assassin's Creed games where the face buttons roughly represent legs, hands, and head. It's typically the worst with FPS games, which have a chiefly PC pedigree anyway, and so the concessions made for a controller really stand out when it's brought back to the mouse and keyboard.

Another frequent problem is UI that hasn't been scaled for PC monitor use. UI elements are often a lot bigger than they need to be, and there's a whole lot of empty area between the elements and the borders of the screen because of the overscan compensation.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Vintersorg posted:

I hope you don't feel this way about emulators. That's the primary reason I have one.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
A keyboard is primarially designed for, er, typing, whereas a 360 pad is a comfortable and ergonomic way to play games, most of which are designed explicitly with it in mind. Mouse and keyboard is clearly better for FPS games, but why else would you not use one, aside from to make some idelogical point about computer games? It's like c'mon, just get a controller, nobody else is even going to know about it man don't worry

Also you really, really, really don't want to play fighting games with a keyboard.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I still have to run into a game that convinces me to get a gamepad. Even Prince of Persia and Assassin's Creed felt just fine to me with keyboard / mouse (granted, a 10-button mouse).

Well, there was Motocross Madness, but that was because it came with the MS Freestyle Pro gamepad. Though it was a pretty lovely pad beyond the motion-detect gimmick.

I will probably get a new, nice joystick if I get into MechWarrior again, though (either Living Legends or whenever that reboot gets out of loving legal troubles).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

NihilCredo posted:

Reboot between each step:

- Uninstall the ATI drivers (use the "express uninstall everything" option)
- Uninstall the drivers from Device Manager
- Run Driver Sweeper
- Delete any /ATI/ folder you have left around. Open C:\Windows\Assembly and delete everything with the key 90ba9c70f846762e
- Install new drivers

That seems to be the most thorough process I have found. On a different note, even going through all of that still makes the newest drivers refuse to run the Control Centre on my PC (it's not in the desktop right-click menu, and if I run it from Start nothing happens). I don't care much since I use ATI Tray Tools, but man is that stupid.

Thank you, this worked like a charm. Of course, now CCC refuses to load outside of the tray, but that's how it always was before (though it didn't load on the first boot).

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

NihilCredo posted:

Well, there was Motocross Madness

That game was the poo poo. I think I have copies of my original discs for that and its sequel in a giant CD binder somewhere.

Quick hardware question: Should I clean all of the thermal compound off of my CPU before I install my new heatsink which is probably going to have its own compound on it, or will it be fine to leave on?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Charles Martel posted:

That game was the poo poo. I think I have copies of my original discs for that and its sequel in a giant CD binder somewhere.

Quick hardware question: Should I clean all of the thermal compound off of my CPU before I install my new heatsink which is probably going to have its own compound on it, or will it be fine to leave on?

Clean it off. Generally, every time I take off the heatsink, I clean off the compound and apply new stuff, because impurities like dust or whatever mixed in can hurt the heat transfer. But in this case, it's especially important. Too much compound can be really ineffective and even reduce the heat transferring capabilities of it, and the stuff that comes on the heatsink is already designed to be just the right amount.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Bats posted:

Dualshocks work plenty fine, they are just not natively supported. MotionInJoy drivers turn them into a 360 clone for games that support only the 360 controller, but it's not 100% compatible. I used to love the dual shock too, but it was only with the 360 controller that I was able to play fps games on the consoles... having mis-matched analog sticks helps a lot more than you'd think.

This may just be my Sixaxis coughing up but I've had a mixed experience with using it (with the motionjoy driver) on PC. I usually have to plug it in a few times, because although the pad is recognized the inputs are not. A number of games with native 360 controller support don't map properly (like default jumping with select in Trine, and there's more important stuff that's not configurable). For some games it works without a hitch, though.

Copper Vein posted:

I have three PS3 controllers, two Sixaxes and one Dualshock 3. The DS3 is the only one that functions entirely properly. The battery died in one after a year, so it only works wired (which isn't an issue in PC gaming with my set up). And the other has a stick that doesn't self center after release and drifts. Maybe I'm unlucky - they really don't get that much use - but with how expensive these things are it's frustrating.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Clean it off. Generally, every time I take off the heatsink, I clean off the compound and apply new stuff, because impurities like dust or whatever mixed in can hurt the heat transfer. But in this case, it's especially important. Too much compound can be really ineffective and even reduce the heat transferring capabilities of it, and the stuff that comes on the heatsink is already designed to be just the right amount.

Cool, thanks. Still anxiously waiting for UPS to drop it off.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Charles Martel posted:

I hope you don't feel this way about emulators. That's the primary reason I have one.

Yeah, my comment was a little too open. Emulators, flight sims and racing sims you obviously want something more suited for it. But the majority of other games seems better suited for a keyboard. Take GTA for example, so much better on the PC. I played GTA4 on the PS3 and aiming was such a loving chore, it ruined so many fights.

I just hope there isn't anyone like the guy 50 seconds into this video (PS THIS VIDEO RULES).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXw6BkZ-gdY

EDIT: The whole video is funny with old styles of playing FPS, even some people using the old school arrow keys. That is how I played Duke3d start to finish.

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Aug 17, 2011

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
360 controller is kinda meh build wise, but really comfortable. Dual Shocks are better build quality, but holy gently caress do they suck to hold. Maybe I have mutant hands, but the orignal HUGE Xbox controller is more comfortable than a Dual Shock. I still have both, but this is the best USB controller and the one I use whenever possible:

SNES for life. :colbert:

whiteshark12
Oct 21, 2010

How that gun even works underwater I don't know, but I bet the answer is magic.

Vintersorg posted:

Yeah, my comment was a little too open. Emulators, flight sims and racing sims you obviously want something more suited for it. But the majority of other games seems better suited for a keyboard. Take GTA for example, so much better on the PC. I played GTA4 on the PS3 and aiming was such a loving chore, it ruined so many fights.

Counter-point, the Vehicles control better with analogue sticks from a controller.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

whiteshark12 posted:

Counter-point, the Vehicles control better with analogue sticks from a controller.

Counter-counter-point: The vehicles in GTA4 control like poo poo no matter what input method you use.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Counter-counter-point: The vehicles in GTA4 control like poo poo no matter what input method you use.

counter-counter-counter-point: The vehicle control in GTA4 was awesome and you must have used a dumb controller because the 360 pad is awesome+++ for vehicles.

GTA4's handling wasn't realistic enough so I always play with the realistic handling mod anyway. :colbert:

I will never understand the hate that GTA4 gets.

(besides "HAY CAUZIN")

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
This is how it's done, bros.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Vintersorg posted:

I just hope there isn't anyone like the guy 50 seconds into this video (PS THIS VIDEO RULES).

EDIT: The whole video is funny with old styles of playing FPS, even some people using the old school arrow keys. That is how I played Duke3d start to finish.

Aiming a gun is better with a mouse, I don't think anybody would ever claim otherwise. But for stuff like platformers, having true analog movement is a hell of a lot more useful than having better camera control. The same goes for sports games, where precise movement is extremely important and just isn't going to be provided by a keyboard (and for obvious reasons, over the shoulder KB+M controls have their own issues that make it less than viable as well).

If most of what you play involves shooting things, moving a lot of things around the screen (so, most strategy games), or navigating a bunch of menus, then KM+M is the way to go. But for a lot of other genres, the limitations of a keyboard are not outweighed by the benefits of a mouse.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Vintersorg posted:

Oh man, look at all those CRTs. Jesus, those things are huge - I can't believe it's only been 5 years since I got rid of my last one.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Fil5000 posted:

Oh man, look at all those CRTs. Jesus, those things are huge - I can't believe it's only been 5 years since I got rid of my last one.

It's only been one year since I've gotten rid of mine.

... What?

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It's only been one year since I've gotten rid of mine.

... What?

I still have mine :cool:

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Rinkles posted:

I have three PS3 controllers, two Sixaxes and one Dualshock 3. The DS3 is the only one that functions entirely properly. The battery died in one after a year, so it only works wired (which isn't an issue in PC gaming with my set up). And the other has a stick that doesn't self center after release and drifts. Maybe I'm unlucky - they really don't get that much use - but with how expensive these things are it's frustrating.

I have four Dualshock 3 controllers and none of them have any problems. They don't get used all that much and I spread my gaming time among whichever one is currently charged (gently caress charging controllers until all four are dead) and they all work fine. Sounds like you got really unlucky, man. DS3s are really expensive.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
I prefer Dualshocks over the 360 controller for PC gaming but one gripe I have about the Dualshock is that the handles are a little too short. What angers me even more is the scraping of the original PS3 "boomerang" controller which looked silly but also looked super comfortable. Honestly, a revamp of the Dualshock would only do the controller good.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
A dual stick Dreamcast controller without the retarded "Let's make the cord come out of the bottom! :downs:" design and a built in, higher res screen instead of a VMU would be the best controller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

A dual stick Dreamcast controller without the retarded "Let's make the cord come out of the bottom! :downs:" design and a built in, higher res screen instead of a VMU would be the best controller.

That thing is such an uncomfortable piece of poo poo. I guess I must have had smaller hands when I was playing it in the Dreamcast's heyday.

• Locked thread