Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Moker was a nuke. Does he seem like a happy guy to you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

What is going on in here?

Rrail posted:

Moker was a nuke. Does he seem like a happy guy to you?

What happened to all of these guys saying they wouldn't go anything but nuke? I understand it is going to not be a ton of fun and all, but is it really a bad trade to learn?

e: I have re read this thread a couple of times and am really conflicted. One poster will go from trashing it, to standing up for it. Some posters talk about long days, some posters talk about short days. poo poo man...

1337_ScriptKiddie fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Aug 17, 2011

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I don't think anyone ever said they'd only choose nuke. And yes, life can suck quite a bit. Just re-read this thread to see what you've done to yourself.

I hope it works out for you in all sincerity, but I just wish you had done a little more research into actually finding something you wanted instead of letting yourself get talking into something they wanted you to do. Well, we do need bilge cleaners.

What rate did you pick?

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

Henry Meowlins posted:

I don't think anyone ever said they'd only choose nuke. And yes, life can suck quite a bit. Just re-read this thread to see what you've done to yourself.

I hope it works out for you in all sincerity, but I just wish you had done a little more research into actually finding something you wanted instead of letting yourself get talking into something they wanted you to do. Well, we do need bilge cleaners.

What rate did you pick?

They had to make me take the second test and by the time it was over it was too late for me to enlist (I was ok with this, I need to think). But see I don't want be another stupid kid that walks in and wants to be a sea cop. I'm ok waiting for civilian life for that. I want to do something challanging that I can find interesting. I have a three hour car ride to think about it tomorrow.

I asked the recruiter that was driving me back to my town today how long I had to sign the contract and he said it would only be open for me to read in the office and that I could not take it home to have someone I trust read it. When I looked at him funny he said this to me:"Dont take this the wrong way, but you need the Navy, the Navy does not need you."

I am half scared half excited. I can see how this could blow up royaly in my face. What scares me more is that it is going to make my wife miserable.

Let's see what cool flame titles I get now.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

I'm wanting to join the nuke program, filling out the paperwork with my recuiter. He wants to enter me into the DEP program next Tuesday as some sort of non-nuke rate, I think one of the ET classifications. I've been clear with him that I want to ship out to boot with an Nuclear Field rating, and he said that I will. I understand that DEP is reversible and you haven't signed away your life(yet), and what really matters is on the enlistment contract you sign shortly before you go to boot.

What I'm asking here is: Do I have my facts straight? Is it common to enter into DEP with one rate and be reclassed? This isn't going to ensure I can't be a nuke, correct?

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no

Harmburger posted:

I'm wanting to join the nuke program, filling out the paperwork with my recuiter. He wants to enter me into the DEP program next Tuesday as some sort of non-nuke rate, I think one of the ET classifications. I've been clear with him that I want to ship out to boot with an Nuclear Field rating, and he said that I will. I understand that DEP is reversible and you haven't signed away your life(yet), and what really matters is on the enlistment contract you sign shortly before you go to boot.

What I'm asking here is: Do I have my facts straight? Is it common to enter into DEP with one rate and be reclassed? This isn't going to ensure I can't be a nuke, correct?

poo poo, I was advanced computers before I joined the pipeline, you will just be in dep forever though.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
Well, your wife should expect you to spend the next year and a half away from home studying. Even if you're living in the same house, she probably won't see you a lot.

You'll use some math during the pipeline. You will never learn anything more difficult than trigonometry if you're an electrician. If youre an ET or MM, you'll pretty much only learn algebra. As far as science? Well, I feel that I've learned a lot about how the world works because of my nuclear field experience. I've found (and this is speaking with 2 years experience as a nuke school instructor) that most students only memorize what they need to so that they pass the test or watch. I dont think the actual understanding part comes until you've been in the fleet a little while.

Also, yeah, the Navy needs nukes but it doesn't need trainees. Theres a huge waiting list for spots in the last two schools.

On a similar note, holy poo poo is it going to be interesting to see reenlistment bonuses after every single nuke gets out after 8 due to no more retirement for lifers.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

1337_ScriptKiddie posted:

They had to make me take the second test and by the time it was over it was too late for me to enlist (I was ok with this, I need to think). But see I don't want be another stupid kid that walks in and wants to be a sea cop. I'm ok waiting for civilian life for that. I want to do something challanging that I can find interesting. I have a three hour car ride to think about it tomorrow.

I asked the recruiter that was driving me back to my town today how long I had to sign the contract and he said it would only be open for me to read in the office and that I could not take it home to have someone I trust read it. When I looked at him funny he said this to me:"Dont take this the wrong way, but you need the Navy, the Navy does not need you."

I am half scared half excited. I can see how this could blow up royaly in my face. What scares me more is that it is going to make my wife miserable.

Let's see what cool flame titles I get now.

There isn't anything tricky in the contract. 6 years in stone, and then a bunch of random crap about auto promotions.

If you have other options, don't join the Navy. If you want a challenge, go run a marathon.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Henry Meowlins posted:

What rate did you pick?

:laffo: they let you pick?

Here are your choices:

[]MM
[]MM
or
[]MM

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

They never let us pick. My understanding from my students is they still let you write down your preferences but its entirely determined by NEEDS OF THE NAVY for your boot camp division.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Yep. My choices -in order- were ET, EM, and MM. Guess what I was? :haw:

Fact: I didn't realize until recently that "knuckle-dragger" is a racist term.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

I love talking about wish lists.
Mine:
ET
MM
EM

My first tour wishlist was, in order:

Submarine out of Pearl (requested forward deployed)
Submarine out of Guam
Submarine out of Washington
Submarine out of San Diego
Submarine out of Norfolk
Submarine out of Groton
Carrier out of Washington
Carrier out of San Diego
Carrier out of Norfolk

My negotiating attempts for my second tour:
Carrier out of Japan
Carrier out of San Diego
Carrier out of Norfolk
NRMD
Prototype

Im an EM that went to a shipyard-bound carrier out of Norfolk then got sent to prototype.

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no

KetTarma posted:

Mine:
ET
MM
EM

My first tour wishlist was, in order:

Submarine out of Pearl (requested forward deployed)
Submarine out of Guam
Submarine out of Washington
Submarine out of San Diego
Submarine out of Norfolk
Submarine out of Groton
Carrier out of San Diego
Carrier out of Norfolk

My negotiating attempts for my second tour:
Carrier out of Japan
Carrier out of San Diego
Carrier out of Norfolk
NRMD
Prototype

Im an EM that went to a shipyard-bound carrier out of Norfolk then got sent to prototype.

How did they even send you out that early, or were you on the Vinsion's shipyard tour for like a year?

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo

Henry Meowlins posted:

I think I did, and I stand by it. Joining the Navy nuclear power program and then getting out after 6 years is among the best two decisions I've ever made. And I'm not being sarcastic at all. I was a bitter son of a bitch when I got out after I had spent a year and a half in the shipyard but if I had it to do all over again I'd do the same thing.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

KetTarma posted:

I wanted a Seawolf-class or new construction. I got an OG 688 out of Groton. :toot:

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Ryand-Smith posted:

How did they even send you out that early, or were you on the Vinsion's shipyard tour for like a year?

Vinson was in the yards for 4.5 years

E: Just found out one of my students that, as he was crying, I told "if you cry like this on your boat, they will break you" went sad when he got to his boat.

KetTarma fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Aug 19, 2011

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

KetTarma posted:

Vinson was in the yards for 4.5 years

E: Just found out one of my students that, as he was crying, I told "if you cry like this on your boat, they will break you" went sad when he got to his boat.

lmao owns

I could swear i told you not to ever do nuke when i was new

genderstomper58 fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Aug 20, 2011

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
also realtalk flooding sims are fun as hell and it makes you realize how dangerous high pressure is....30 psi loving wrecks your poo poo and thats less than 100 feet

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

NAPT is a loving joke. Is that really the level of proficiency it takes to comprehend nuclear reactions? No wonder that guy in Sweden tried it.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

NAPT is a loving joke. Is that really the level of proficiency it takes to comprehend nuclear reactions? No wonder that guy in Sweden tried it.

Yea, it was pretty easy. Fortunately, ability to reason technically complex tasks using backgrounds math and physical sciences aren't really up there when it comes to day to day job applications.

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Yea, it was pretty easy. Fortunately, ability to reason technically complex tasks using backgrounds math and physical sciences aren't really up there when it comes to day to day job applications.

You got that one right.

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo

No but that's why you're taking it as a DEPer 2 years before you'll ever be qualified to do anything besides scrub floors and dust load centers.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Gotta be qualified 3M and QA to dust a loadcenter, shipmate. It'll be a good 2.5 years for that.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
I even did a :stare: when I was handed a Phone Talker qual card

....Then I heard non a-gang coners trying to talk on it and immediately understood

Static Dynamics
Feb 7, 2004

We need technology for tomorrow's battlefield, like the laser that sets mile-wide skull-shaped fires.
One of our a-gangers came to me, as I am the CRA, to ask if it was ok for him to wear his TLD while getting an MRI. After telling him that he needs to take it off beforehand, he informed me that - actually - he had the MRI earlier that morning.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

MRIs don't use ionizing radiation, silly.

Static Dynamics
Feb 7, 2004

We need technology for tomorrow's battlefield, like the laser that sets mile-wide skull-shaped fires.

KetTarma posted:

MRIs don't use ionizing radiation, silly.

I was more concerned that he asked me after the fact. I try to tell all those idiots to not get anywhere near a hospital with a TLD.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
He was probably loving with you since he would have had to take his belt off anyway.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Considering going to a new construction. Anyone have any experience?

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

I've heard both extremes, nothing in the middle.
Half of the guys we sent from the Vinson to the Bush precom went sad within a few months. Go figure.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
I should probably specify a Virginia class

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Cerekk posted:

I should probably specify a Virginia class

They'll give you the most busted non i-boat they can find for you. That's where I went.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Mad Dragon posted:

They'll give you the most busted non i-boat they can find for you. That's where I went.

Who gave you that av lol

Also he's a sea returnee I think so probably is in talks with his detailer or whatever

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
I've been to sea but I'm not a "sea returnee" unfortunately, this'll be my first JO tour. I'm putting in my requests soon though. The timing is right for me to be a plankowner on my home-state namesake boat, and I was considering requesting it if I can find some people that say a new construction is rewarding in other ways ('cause that's certainly not going to be my sole reason). I figure sea trials and such would certainly be beneficial for professional development, at least.

So to rephrase, does anyone have any experience on a PCU submarine?

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

moker posted:

Who gave you that av lol

Someone hit at least 10 people in TFR with these stupid things a few days ago.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Just got a nice long talk yesterday from my boat's EDMC about my intentions to get out in two years and persue either college or a career in civilian nuclear power. I'm currently a fully qualified EM and am working and intend to finish both QAI and EWS/EDPO prior to getting out.

Seemingly I have some pretty misguided notions about the availability of plants who'd be willing to start me out in SRO quals even if I get a Supervisory NEC before getting out.

He also made it sound like It'd be difficult to find a part time job to earn some scratch at while going to college full time with the training I've received. I couldn't really think of anything to refute this other than that I've heard of EOG techs moonlighting at hospitals?

Anyone know people who have gotten out recently that have, infact, hit easy street?

SpaceJustice
Jan 4, 2010

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Just got a nice long talk yesterday from my boat's EDMC about my intentions to get out in two years and persue either college or a career in civilian nuclear power. I'm currently a fully qualified EM and am working and intend to finish both QAI and EWS/EDPO prior to getting out.

Seemingly I have some pretty misguided notions about the availability of plants who'd be willing to start me out in SRO quals even if I get a Supervisory NEC before getting out.

He also made it sound like It'd be difficult to find a part time job to earn some scratch at while going to college full time with the training I've received. I couldn't really think of anything to refute this other than that I've heard of EOG techs moonlighting at hospitals?

Anyone know people who have gotten out recently that have, infact, hit easy street?

Nukeworker.com is a pretty good resource for nuclear related jobs, people there would probably be able to help out a lot.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Direct SRO quals are difficult to start in because you know almost nothing about that plant. Also, if you're not qualified EWS for 2+ years prior to getting out, many plants will not talk to you about SRO. I think there's a NRC requirement now about that.

That being said, NLO/RO still make way more than you make right now. Your EDMC will tell you whatever lie to get you to stay in.

I've heard that Navy QA quals are pretty useless if you're trying to work in commercial QA. This is anecdotal from my QAI friends that worked in the QA office that could not get an interview with any QA position. Then again, he works at a hydrogen plant doing 9-5 mon-fri maintenance pulling 80k a year with 100% college assistance.

I know a lot of people that have gotten out. None have ever said they miss it. A lot of my friends work at commercial nuke plants.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
I got out and have only gone to school for 2 years now(not even a part time job), it is loving easy to live off of the GI Bill and grants as long as you aren't an idiot. Senior enlisted try to scare every good person away from the civilian world, remember that if you stayed in it would look good on him and the command.

Can't answer the plant job question because I've never really looked but I remember reading that a good chunk of the workforce is retiring in the next few years.
Besides, who the gently caress would want to go back to working in a plant?

edit: I also do not know a single nuke that regretted getting out.

genderstomper58 fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Sep 1, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
As long as you get a good discharge, recruiters will be after you. It should also help with an internship. But if you want to stay in the nuke field you can do outage work which is tough on the time since you gotta fly around, but a lot of plants hire people who do outage work on their plants.

Beyond that, if you want to be directly hired by a plant, you will probably have to be an equipment operator before you touch the reactor controls.

Also unemployment isn't so bad. Guess when the last time I had to muster was.

• Locked thread