Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

This is more MST3K than Rifftrax, but Mike linked to a modern-day interview with the guy who played Zap Rowsdower that's apparently on the MST3K dvd release of the Final Sacrifice.

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1454527131740

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.

Bobulus posted:

This is more MST3K than Rifftrax, but Mike linked to a modern-day interview with the guy who played Zap Rowsdower that's apparently on the MST3K dvd release of the Final Sacrifice.

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1454527131740

It is. There's a few of these features and interviews on the more recent releases, and it's kind of cool hearing the details about how some of the MST3k movies were made. It's worth watching if you've seen Final Sacrifice (and if you haven't, you should, it's one of the better MST episodes)

ParagonParadox27
Jun 20, 2005
Bucky Heart and Moo-Ray Court, everyone!

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
So, there are 4 live shows available on dvd? Of which only 2 are on bluray? Why not all 4? Why do I care?

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Aug 16, 2011

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Because the last two are the latest, and they were the firsts to be offered this way.

Speaking of live shows, how come this thread isn't more lively with the discussion of the live show tomorrow?

ParagonParadox27
Jun 20, 2005
Dear God, why aren't more people as in love with the Next riff as I am? A: has Bridget in her only Rifftrax effort to date. B: Pretty goddamn good to begin with. C: *FBI guys in chopper gun down terrist* "Who was that guy?" "Who cares. Let's eat."

Oh, the terrorists being portrayed as being just regular middle Americans made me laugh. Talkin' 'bout their daughters at school plays, getting to the Matinee showings in time, replacing gramma's wheelchair. Really good riffs.

ParagonParadox27 fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Aug 16, 2011

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

ParagonParadox27 posted:

A: has Bridget in her only Rifftrax effort to date.

:eng101:

She also did the Grey's Anatomy pilot.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

ParagonParadox27 posted:

Dear God, why aren't more people as in love with the Next riff as I am? A: has Bridget in her only Rifftrax effort to date. B: Pretty goddamn good to begin with. C: *FBI guys in chopper gun down terrist* "Who was that guy?" "Who cares. Let's eat."

Oh, the terrorists being portrayed as being just regular middle Americans made me laugh. Talkin' 'bout their daughters at school plays, getting to the Matinee showings in time, replacing gramma's wheelchair. Really good riffs.

I read this as the next Rifftrax being released and had to do a :doh: when I realized what you meant.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

IUG posted:

Speaking of live shows, how come this thread isn't more lively with the discussion of the live show tomorrow?

I've prepared by watching the Rifftrax stuff for the Room and Planet of the Dinosaurs for the first time.

The bearded dude with the deep voice in Planet of the Dinosaurs is one of my favorite MST3K/Rifftrax movie characters.

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Wrath, hate, pain, and death!

IUG posted:

I got my tickets, I'm stoked as hell.

My dad raised me watching MST3K (I had no idea what was going on, due to both age and semi-language barrier) and it's really cool to me that we're still going to go watch essentially the same thing together 20 years later.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
This short is insane.

E: and Lowtax's daughter is hilarious.

The Anime Liker fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Aug 18, 2011

TotalBlammBlamm
Apr 14, 2007

Wham bam, thank you ma'am!
I loved Lowtax's daughter's narration on the shorts, too. :)

The movie was awesome. Seize the bone!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Where the gently caress are they finding these shorts? Was there some early-70s government-funded education program to confuse children?

Great time. The movie started a little slow but once the ridiculousness set in, it never let up. The monster... "fight" had me almost fall out of my chair.

And Lauren's shorts were great, especially the second.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
So what was the mystery page for the folks who couldn't attend?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Rirse posted:

So what was the mystery page for the folks who couldn't attend?

rifftrax.com/jack

You get the short, a signed hi-res photo and some avatars. Also a sneak peak at the next Rifftrax - Abraxas!

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Gentlemen, commence bone seizing. :c:

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Quiet Feet posted:

Gentlemen, commence bone seizing. :c:

Someone really needs to show this part of the movie to Craig Ferguson.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

That loving leprechaun floating off on the rainbow holy poo poo

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
That was amazing. The shorts, the movie, even Kevin's flubbed line. Me and everyone I brought will be going to the next one, most definitely.

The only issue was the lady two rows up who guffawed at the slightest joke and very obviously did not know the volume of her own voice, often drowning out the loving movie.

Moscow Mule
Dec 21, 2004

Nothing beats the taste sensation when maple syrup collides with ham.
My dad contemplated going with me but decided not to. I'm glad he didn't actually, because he wouldn't have liked the short about Jesus moving to France and marrying a frog.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
I enjoyed the entire film, except for the scene when they made that Gamera reference, and the guy next to me in the theater turned to his friend and said "Who's Gamera?"

That annoyed me... slightly I grant you, but it did annoy me.

But besides that, holy poo poo was that insane. The short, the movie, wow. I can't really recall anything going on in that movie. Most of the time I was thinking "What the hell is happening now?"

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

drasticactions posted:

I enjoyed the entire film, except for the scene when they made that Gamera reference, and the guy next to me in the theater turned to his friend and said "Who's Gamera?"

That annoyed me... slightly I grant you, but it did annoy me.

But besides that, holy poo poo was that insane. The short, the movie, wow. I can't really recall anything going on in that movie. Most of the time I was thinking "What the hell is happening now?"

If you're going to make a stop-motion monster movie, ask yourself one question: Am I Ray Harryhausen? If the answer is no, don't make the movie.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Mister Kingdom posted:

If you're going to make a stop-motion monster movie, ask yourself one question: Am I Ray Harryhausen? If the answer is no, don't make the movie.

I actually think the movie was almost good. It was clearly a bargain-basement Seventh Voyage of Sinbad, but on that level, it delivers a lot of weird and fantastic things in an eventful (if confusing) storyline. Makes no loving sense but it's not dull at all.

And that princess is- well, seize-the-bone worthy.

Dashiell
Apr 24, 2004

I loved how the whole theater was totally confused by the "we captured jack and his friends off camera" scene cut.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
The trailer for the next Rifftrax makes it look like a horrible love child of Final Sacrifice and Future War. Not a bad at all.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Any idea when this will be available for we poor souls unable to go see it?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm kind of surprised more people didn't get/laugh at the Game of Thrones joke.

Another weird thing about the movie was how its called "Jack the Giant Killer" and he kills only one giant and that's within the first 20 minutes. Then there's only one other giant in the entire movie but Jack DOESN'T kill it.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Maxwell Lord posted:

I actually think the movie was almost good. It was clearly a bargain-basement Seventh Voyage of Sinbad, but on that level, it delivers a lot of weird and fantastic things in an eventful (if confusing) storyline. Makes no loving sense but it's not dull at all.

And that princess is- well, seize-the-bone worthy.

I agree. As a kids movie made in the early 60's, I thought it was decent. It's just incredibly riff-worthy because it's balls-to-the-walls bonkers from start to finish.

The place was about 90% full where I saw it. I think one thing that helped a lot was explaining the concept behind the Lowtax daughter shorts before showing them. In the earlier shows, they would just show them and nobody in the crowd would get it. Getting the idea of what it's supposed to convey got a huge reaction this time. Plus it slayed when they paid it lip service during the actual movie.

The dragon knights scene is probably the highlight of the show, though the Kanye reference was great too.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I think the movie was actually...pretty good. It had nice special effects for being half a century old, and the story was pretty good until the leprechaun showed up and poo poo started getting weird.

What is Nothing is...wow. I don't know. And I thought Grass was bad.

Was the "Be right there" line a reference to anything, or just a funny thing the dragons knights that weren't like dragons said?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Gavok posted:

I agree. As a kids movie made in the early 60's, I thought it was decent. It's just incredibly riff-worthy because it's balls-to-the-walls bonkers from start to finish.

It reminded me of the Russo-Finnish movies MST3K used to do.

Armourking
Dec 16, 2004

Step off!
Step off!

muscles like this? posted:

Another weird thing about the movie was how its called "Jack the Giant Killer" and he kills only one giant and that's within the first 20 minutes. Then there's only one other giant in the entire movie but Jack DOESN'T kill it.
He's a giant killer; not a giants killer.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Gavok posted:

The dragon knights scene is probably the highlight of the show

Both the actual scene and finding out later that they were, in fact, dragon knights.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Rochallor posted:

Was the "Be right there" line a reference to anything, or just a funny thing the dragons knights that weren't like dragons said?

No reference. Just them being very, very slow.

The preview factoids got a lot of great reactions, though the one about Andre the Giant dying of a heart attack got a loud, angry groan.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Gavok posted:

No reference. Just them being very, very slow.

The preview factoids got a lot of great reactions, though the one about Andre the Giant dying of a heart attack got a loud, angry groan.

The Richard Gere riff got that in our theatre.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

weekly font posted:

The Richard Gere riff got that in our theatre.
What was that in reference to?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Oh wow, I just found out the next rifftrax is a thinly veiled Jack Kirby's Fourth World (Darkseid, Anti-Life Equation, Orion) adaption.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Rirse posted:

Oh wow, I just found out the next rifftrax is a thinly veiled Jack Kirby's Fourth World (Darkseid, Anti-Life Equation, Orion) adaption.

Masters of the Universe?

Edit: Agh, I didn't read the whole thread. Abraxis, cool.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

fenix down posted:

What was that in reference to?

There was a story that circulated 10-15 years ago that Gere was having sex with another man that involved him sticking a gerbil into his rear end, and that he went to the emergency room when it got stuck there. Completely not true, but it's been a go-to gag for a long time now.

Edit: I've got to say that "Jack the Giant Killer" has been quite influential. They mentioned "Castlevania", but it also shares a great deal of similarities with "Army of Darkness".

Robert Denby fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Aug 18, 2011

Demp
Nov 5, 2003

GLORIOUS

muscles like this? posted:

It was like that in my showing too. Joffrey gets no love, I guess. :(

The show was amazing, though. I adored Lauren's shorts, What Is Nothing was so insane and the film riffing was top notch. Definitely getting this one when it's available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dashiell
Apr 24, 2004

Robert Denby posted:

Edit: I've got to say that "Jack the Giant Killer" has been quite influential. They mentioned "Castlevania", but it also shares a great deal of similarities with "Army of Darkness".

I think Peter Jackson based the lord of rings movies off of it too.

• Locked thread