Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010

Revolucion posted:

Shipsterns Bluff, Tasmania

Sweet lord. Amazing.

Quick, content! Here look at my tree.

IMG_1608 by J Dawson, on Flickr

extrusion by J Dawson, on Flickr

Shapes by J Dawson, on Flickr

Camera is getting fixed at the moment because one of the pins in the memory card slot somehow got bent :(

Creepy Goat fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jul 30, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

xzzy posted:

Alaska has the most amazing summers I've ever experienced. It may only last a few months, but the weather is almost always perfect. In August it starts getting more gloomy and rainy, and by late September stuff is freezing over.

But May through July? No better time to be there.

How are the campgrounds in Alaska in the summer? I've heard they aren't as well maintained as ones in Yukon. One of the guys I work with is from Whitehorse and has dragged me up north on camping adventures the past 2 summers. Went up north of the Arctic Circle this summer, and while it's cool to go up there, I was suggesting going into Alaska next summer as northern Yukon is a wee bit desolate.

Ending derail with a couple pics from this year's trip

Richardson Mountains by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Tombstone Valley by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Mount Minto by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Creepy Goat posted:

I really like this.

plasmoduck
Sep 20, 2009

I love this thread. I could quote every post and rave about it, but will restrain myself =)

neckbeard posted:

How are the campgrounds in Alaska in the summer? I've heard they aren't as well maintained as ones in Yukon. One of the guys I work with is from Whitehorse and has dragged me up north on camping adventures the past 2 summers. Went up north of the Arctic Circle this summer, and while it's cool to go up there, I was suggesting going into Alaska next summer as northern Yukon is a wee bit desolate.

I'm in Fairbanks myself right now, I guess it depends on what you expect from a "maintained" campground - we've been camping mostly in the open or in random spaces and it's been really nice. Then again, it's maybe a bit different since I'm with friends who live up here and know nice spots. (By the way, I love the second shot!)

Creepy Goat, love the first one, the thick border frames the tree so nicely.

Here's some recent pictures from around Fairbanks for content (x-post from SAD, comments/critique welcome!):

052 by loveisthreeoranges, on Flickr

IMG_8010 by loveisthreeoranges, on Flickr

057 by loveisthreeoranges, on Flickr

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I went on a trip for my birthday, and took advantage of it to start taking landscape shots. I've never really done them before apart from snapshots on previous trips with a P&S, but hopefully I'll improve as I practice. Also, the 18-55mm I ordered for my birthday didn't show up in time so these were all taken with my 55-250mm haha.

Byron Bay Sunset on flickr

Byron Bay on flickr

Watego Beach Byron Bay on flickr

Watego Beach Byron Bay on flickr

Byron Bay Lighthouse on flickr

HookShot fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jul 31, 2011

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010

atomicthumbs posted:

I really like this.

Thanks, I seem to be really hit and miss with pictures. There's probably only three/four that I really like on my flickr.

jm3000
Jan 19, 2004

Pancake Dance Party
Nap Ghost

White Dome Geyser by johnm3000, on Flickr

slearch
Dec 10, 2006

Creepy Goat posted:

Where/what is this?

Smekerman
Feb 3, 2001
Went to Valhalla Provincial Park on Saturday. Was hoping to catch a sunset/sunrise but it was crowded as hell at the one (tiny) campsite at the bottom of Mt. Gimli and the lakes I wanted to camp at were frozen and the whole valley snowed in, so I kinda gave up on that idea. Gorgeous place, though. It rivals Banff/Glacier NP in looks, but it's more rugged and less accessible. The trail up was also pretty epic, probably one of the better hikes I've done since Kearsarge Pass, in California.

Valhalla Provincial Park (2) by Smekermann, on Flickr

Valhalla Provincial Park (3) by Smekermann, on Flickr

Valhalla Provincial Park (6) by Smekermann, on Flickr

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.

Smekerman posted:

Valhalla Provincial Park (2) by Smekermann, on Flickr

:aaa:

Goddamn, that's an awesome photo.

Smekerman
Feb 3, 2001
Thanks. Yeah, it's definitely my favorite from the trip. Saw the goat a ways up on the rocks, whistled at him to get his attention and maybe get a few shots of him there but he decided to just come down and hang out with me for a while.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Yeah that's a pretty cool pic.

I want to go to there.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010

slearch posted:

Where/what is this?

I don't know what it is, just a big building along the Ij river -it is actually a bay!- in Amsterdam.

Creepy Goat fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Aug 3, 2011

wanghammer
Mar 24, 2001
DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH COCK I HAD TO SUCK TO GET THIS CUSTOM TITLE? A LOT!
A couple of shots from a recent trip to Oregon

Oregon by Bighoits, on Flickr

Oregon by Bighoits, on Flickr

Revolucion
Nov 2, 2004
removed.

Revolucion fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Nov 29, 2020

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

I'm not sure if this actually counts as a landscape photo, but here it is:

I thought it was a different change of pace compared to other landscapes, and since I was doing a lot of flying over the past week, I thought I'd get a nice picture of fluffy clouds.

Turd Nelson
Nov 21, 2008
Crossposts from SAD

Land Before Time by Jenseales, on Flickr

Room to Breathe by Jenseales, on Flickr

The Bridge by Jenseales, on Flickr

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Turd Nelson posted:

Crossposts from SAD

The Bridge by Jenseales, on Flickr

The green...it burnsss...
Love the shots though, even if the color on the last one is a bit funky.

Driftwood by wholesome_, on Flickr
(does the faux b/w film just not work?)

DSC_0085c by wholesome_, on Flickr

Suicide Watch fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Aug 7, 2011

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal

Suicide Watch posted:

The green...it burnsss...
Love the shots though, even if the color on the last one is a bit funky.

Driftwood by wholesome_, on Flickr
(does the faux b/w film just not work?)

DSC_0085c by wholesome_, on Flickr
The B&W version of this photo is better, I think. At least on my monitor, the color version looks flat and lacks the contrast of the B&W version. Also, I'm not sure that cutting the tree off on the left was the right idea... if the whole tree were in the shot, then the subject of the photo would be the tree.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Finally finished sorting through the 4000+ photos I took during my Alaska cruise.

IMG_5073 by The original David L, on Flickr

Alaska by The original David L, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Crossposting from SAD

Clouds over Macpherson by alkanphel, on Flickr

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
A couple of shots from the Kern River. This is my first time posting in this thread, so please, be gentle with me.

Riverkern Camping, 2011-263-Edit.jpg by theokaluza, on Flickr

Riverkern Camping, 2011-273-Edit-2.jpg by theokaluza, on Flickr

Riverkern Camping, 2011-040-Edit.jpg by theokaluza, on Flickr

Sneeze Party fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Aug 9, 2011

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
Here are some totally original shots of these mountains I stumbled across in Wyoming.

Sunrise On the Snake River by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

20110806-TA Moulton Barn.jpg by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

20110806-John Moulton Barn.jpg by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

Bonus shot of other photographers at the John Moulton Barn.

T.A. Moultan Barn Photographers by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

I'm aware this is not the most interesting shot, but I'm really curious what causes the still water. A couple islands would have these about 100 feet offshore following the broad contour of the shoreline, particularly at sunset in very calm water. Is it some kind of thermal effect where the lake bottom rises?

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Aug 17, 2011

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Bonus shot of other photographers at the John Moulton Barn.

T.A. Moultan Barn Photographers by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

Seeing this would make me turn and go in the other direction. I would never take a picture of that barn knowing that everyone tries to take the same exact picture of it over and over again. Which doesn't mean that there aren't some very lovely shots of it, just that I wouldn't want to be one of the sheep following the herd.

Paul MaudDib posted:

I'm aware this is not the most interesting shot, but I'm really curious what causes the still water. A couple islands would have these about 100 feet offshore following the broad contour of the shoreline, particularly at sunset in very calm water. Is it some kind of thermal effect where the lake bottom rises?

You're talking about how the water in the foreground is smooth but the water in the background is rippled? If so, I would guess that it's reflection based on your angle. Maybe the sky is a bit brighter in the middle, but it's not quite evident in the photo.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Mannequin posted:

You're talking about how the water in the foreground is smooth but the water in the background is rippled? If so, I would guess that it's reflection based on your angle. Maybe the sky is a bit brighter in the middle, but it's not quite evident in the photo.

Near sunset when the wind was calm, you'd see these still patches form. I didn't grab a photo of it, but a couple times they formed 100ft or so offshore following the contours of an island (one at another site, too), another day I saw this one going straight away. Imagine a horizontal frame to each side of this, and one of the islands was on the right and the stream was on the left.

I guess it could be some strange angle that refracts light somehow, but you'd think it would occur along smoother shapes rather than following shoreline or forming a sine shape.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Aug 17, 2011

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
I think your first photo actually exemplifies it best. Maybe it's not the reflection after all. I think I know what you're talking about, I have seen it before and it is kind of weird. Maybe someone else will know why this happens.

Paul MaudDib posted:

I really like this by the way.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Paul MaudDib posted:

Interaction of waves in water with the lake bottom.

http://www.dwc.knaw.nl/DL/publications/PU00018870.pdf

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
I went to Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park this past weekend.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Mannequin posted:

Seeing this would make me turn and go in the other direction. I would never take a picture of that barn knowing that everyone tries to take the same exact picture of it over and over again. Which doesn't mean that there aren't some very lovely shots of it, just that I wouldn't want to be one of the sheep following the herd.

I certainly had this feeling with a lot of my photos from this trip coming from iconic locations with a specific vantage point (Teton Barns, Arist Point, and Wild Goose Island). On one hand I agree with you that there's probably hundreds of photographers each year taking a similar photo to you, but even in the photo of the photographers I took there's a huge variation in the perspective and framing each photographer is getting. Since we all agree that good photography is due to skill than it becomes a challenge to come up with something above what the average photographer comes up with given the same scene. A quick flickr search for "teton barn" turns up thousands of photos, but even after you cut out the HDR poo poo a huge majority of them are pretty mediocre.

Edit: gently caress it. Might as well get those famous shots out of the way. I hate the Wild Goose Island shot, but am actually very okay with the Yellowstone falls shots, even though there are thousands of similar shots out there.

Wild Goose Island by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

Yellowstone Canyon by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

Lower Yellowstone Falls by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Aug 17, 2011

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

I'm a suuuuuper photo newbie (not much past "this might be a pretty photo" and "Hmm, Rule of Thirds, eh?") but landscape and urban photography is my favorite. I tend to stick to my iPhone since I always have it on me, and I figure that I can use it to get an eye for framing.

Grand junction by jpitha, on Flickr

IMG_1457 by jpitha, on Flickr

IMG_1962 by jpitha, on Flickr

Hah, I'm also left handed and I think that's showing in the framing of these three.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

my hand shook in one of the photos :(

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

^ I'm really beginning to notice a lack of sharpness on some of my handheld photos. You'd think 17mm @ 1/125th of a second would be fine, but either I'm not steady or I'm really picky.

Grand Prismatic Spring by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

Long Lake by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

The last one is from the Beartooth Highway, just northeast of Yellowstone. Charles Kuralt, who seemed to know a bit about such things, called it "the most beautiful drive in America" and I'd have to say it ranks pretty high pretty close to the top of drives I've taken. Photos (at least mine), don't do it justice, but if you ever get the chance I highly recommend checking it out.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Last ones from Yellowstone.

Lake Yellowstone by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

Mammoth Hot Springs2 by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

Sky drives me nuts in this one, because it looks like a composite, but it's pretty much straight out of the camera like this (with a CPL filter).

Mammoth Hot Springs by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

Clown
Mar 4, 2004
Rent this space!
Not a patch on some of your ones. I don't even know if these count as landscapes...

London skyline. by Clwn, on Flickr

Sunrise? by Clwn, on Flickr

London Docklands from work. by Clwn, on Flickr

Rogetz
Jan 11, 2003
Alcohol and Nicotine every morning

Been working on landscapes for about a year on and off, finally feel like I can post something. Any advice on framing or editing is welcome.

Rogetz fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Aug 21, 2011

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Rogetz posted:

I really, really love this photo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazalasSol
Sep 30, 2007

Sprague Lake by razalas_solrac, on Flickr