Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Cameron posted:

And by "all you need" I'm of course counting having a good ear for music, naturally.

Where do I buy one of those?? Amazon has nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Cameron posted:

I've said it before. Live 8, Massive and a MIDI controller are all you need. Anything more is personal preference.

And by "all you need" I'm of course counting having a good ear for music, naturally.
Swap Massive for Sylenth1 and you have a deal.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Plavski posted:

Swap Massive for Sylenth1 and you have a deal.

I just can't stand the puke green/poo poo brown motif. I don't like my VSTs to look like they're something an Italo Disco singer might poop out after getting reamed anally by a Rhodes piano.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Cameron posted:

I just can't stand the puke green/poo poo brown motif. I don't like my VSTs to look like they're something an Italo Disco singer might poop out after getting reamed anally by a Rhodes piano.

Me either. I can generally tell the quality of a synthesizer within seven seconds of loading it up in my DAW. If they can't get the GUI design right, how could they ever get the sound right.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Cameron posted:

You can skin it, you just have to replace the resources in the dll.

http://s0nkite.deviantart.com/art/Lennard-Digitals-Sylenth1-SKIN-105201336?offset=40#comments
http://audioz.info/audio-software/pc/10144-new-skin-for-the-sylenth1.html
http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=95291

That Wicked Walrus
Sep 24, 2010

you've gotta keep movin'
Sylenth actually sounds great, but the UI does leave something to be desired. I'd love if they updated the UI / modulation possibilities but kept the sound mostly the same.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

melee beats posted:

Me either. I can generally tell the quality of a synthesizer within seven seconds of loading it up in my DAW. If they can't get the GUI design right, how could they ever get the sound right.

I know, it totally disrupts my workflow

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Cameron posted:

I know, it totally disrupts my workflow

Workflow bro

candy bar
Jan 14, 2008

unSavory posted:

Today I was listening to Neon Indian and decided to see how close I could get to their sound, I guess as an exercise of sorts. I was bored. Here's what I came up with in about a half hour of tinkering. Anybody have a suggestion of how to get that low-fi old-cassette-tape warble that bands like that seem to all have? (Neon Indian, Washed Out, etc)

I know it sounds stupid, but a technique I often use to get that sort of sound is to put a pitch controller on the master bus, pitch down the track to my liking, throw a high pass on the deep low end to make the bass less muddy, and then EQ the high end back in. I hope that makes sense. Here's a track I've used this technique on:

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

melee beats posted:

This is some truth, but a 'too clean' interface implies weakness or lack of features. Ableton's builtin stuff looks pretty puny, but can do ever so much. Operator being a perfect example.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
I dont think he was totally serious

ShoodZ
Nov 20, 2002

Icept is my bitch
I'd love you guys to spend some precious time really listening to these 2 tracks I've been working on for about a month now. Im not new to producing but, as you should know, It's a loving full-on deathworld full of pitfalls and lovely mixing so I would love to get some feedback from people whose ears hopefully still work.

Track 01 is more of a simple, groovy, standard swing mix. It's actually only 3 layers. My drums, My Bass and then the cut up and mixed horns from the original Squirrel Nut Zippers track. For a long time I thought "this is too simple" but then again, who needs complicated when it sounds well

http://soundcloud.com/djwood/wood-01-v1-5

Now - I have no preconceptions about what makes a track and what doesn't, I just made these because I'm in love with the swing style but the tracks I've heard (which are numerous to say the least) have been lacking punch and that "arms-in-the-air" vibe. As you can hear in the 02 track, Im going for a full on epic house track but I've struggled to get the bass right and not drown everything in a sidechained white noise.

http://soundcloud.com/djwood/02-v3-6

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
Could someone recommend me a good entry level dedicated soundcard? I've heard NI and M-Audio thrown around but not really sure what I should be looking for.

Vector 7
Sep 29, 2010

I got a "You Rock Guitar" today. It's a guitar MIDI controller. I've used controllers like this in the past (the Yamaha EZ-AG, which is garbage), and always found them to be lacking. I like this one. It feels right. It uses a touch sensitive fretboard instead of an array of buttons. It has some pretty nice software that lets you tweak how it responds, also. If you're a guitarist looking to get MIDI into your sequencer, I suggest you check this out. I've been a lifelong guitarist, and using keyboards has always been a challenge for me because it's not my primary instrument. I don't like MIDI pickups because of the delay between when you hit a note and when the note gets to your sequencer, not to mention they're pretty expensive. This is a nice compromise.

I can see my music really improving now that I have this tool in my studio.

Amperor
Oct 27, 2010

Cameron posted:

I've said it before. Live 8, Massive and a MIDI controller are all you need. Anything more is personal preference.

I'm still trying to figure out how much, if any, sarcasm is intended in this post.

Maybe I'm just being sensitive since I'm still pretty new to all this and I primarily use those two software programs. But I want to learn them inside and out before I go looking for more instruments to add to my repertoire, and I don't think that's a bad thing.

I mean, on the one hand they're both very powerful pieces of software, but on the other hand, everything has limitations and having a variety of synths to use can only broaden the types of sounds you can create.

eta to the poster below:
I certainly agree with you, I was just trying to break down why I wasn't sure if the originally quoted post was sarcasm or not. I think there's a middle ground that is best.

Amperor fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Aug 19, 2011

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Amperor posted:

I mean, on the one hand they're both very powerful pieces of software, but on the other hand, everything has limitations and having a variety of synths to use can only broaden the types of sounds you can create.

And on the other hand, if you download every VST on the market in an attempt to broaden the types of sounds you can create without putting any effort into figuring out why these synths sound the way they do, you'll end up with a highly varied and broad palette of lovely sounds to choose from. I'm not saying use Massive and Massive only, but don't think more is suddenly better.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I've always found the more synths I have is inversely proportional to the amount of music I produce. By restricting myself to one or two synths, my output goes up dramatically. This is simply because I end up spending the majority of my time tweaking and experimenting in all these different synths and just lose the impetus I had to write a song in the first place. If I hear a sound in my head, knowing one or two synths inside and out helps me get that sound much quicker than having five or six synths I don't really know.

Vector 7
Sep 29, 2010

A big mistake I made when I was starting out was thinking that if I just had (insert VST or piece of gear here) I would be a better producer. In reality, it was my lack of skill and knowledge that was holding me back.

From "Mixing Secrets For The Small Studio":

quote:

While great gear makes mixing quicker and easier, it's not a deal-breaker. To demonstrate this, I deliberately do all my "Mix Rescue" remixes for Sound On Sound magazine on budget gear in small home/college studios. In some cases, I've even restricted myself to the DAW's built-in plug-ins too--as Greg Kurstin did when mixing Lily Allen's hit record The Fear. If you won’t take my word for it, though, here's top producer Frank Filipetti: "Your ears, your mind, your musical abilities are what it’s all about. Put a George Massenburg, a Hugh Padgham, a Kevin Killen together with any kind of gear, and you’ll get a great-sounding record.” Tony Visconti is one of many others who back him up: “I’ve heard people make very bad records on expensive gear. The gear does not dictate the quality. It’s how you use it.” So I’m afraid that if your mix sucks, your mixing technique sucks. No two ways about it.

The same concepts apply to sound design. You could have the biggest, most robust modular system the world has ever seen, and if you don't know how to design the sounds you're looking for it won't do you any good. Master the tools you have.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
and those are quite literally the truest words written in this thread. this, including my own posts.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Thoogsby posted:

Could someone recommend me a good entry level dedicated soundcard? I've heard NI and M-Audio thrown around but not really sure what I should be looking for.

Stay as far away from M-Audio as you can. Their drivers suck more and more with each release and their Customer Support is one of the worse that I've ever had to deal with. M-Audio is the harshest "Do no buy"-recommendation I can give, out of everything I own.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

wayfinder posted:

Stay as far away from M-Audio as you can. Their drivers suck more and more with each release and their Customer Support is one of the worse that I've ever had to deal with. M-Audio is the harshest "Do no buy"-recommendation I can give, out of everything I own.

Good to know. Thanks.

I made this today and I'd love some notes on it.

http://soundcloud.com/heyitsben/high-in-the-80s-v1

I feel like it's a cool little groove but I'm having trouble figuring out how I can make it more interesting. I've been at this for less than a week and have no experience mastering anything so this is straight out of the session view in Ableton. I was going for sort of a Neon Indian/Washed Out/Empire Of The Sun feel.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Thoogsby posted:

Good to know. Thanks.

I made this today and I'd love some notes on it.

http://soundcloud.com/heyitsben/high-in-the-80s-v1

I feel like it's a cool little groove but I'm having trouble figuring out how I can make it more interesting. I've been at this for less than a week and have no experience mastering anything so this is straight out of the session view in Ableton. I was going for sort of a Neon Indian/Washed Out/Empire Of The Sun feel.

I'd tone down the reverse cymbal a bit, not too much though, but it's a bit overused. The pad sound you have is okay, but a little porta on the main sound would do you well here. The synth you introduce a little bit in is barely audible, I would make it louder, and finally, the arrangement is what's killing this thing from being interesting. You have good elements here, but that pad just drones on and on, and while it doesn't sound too horrible, it just never lets up.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Here's something recent (made with my M-Audio sound card that I kind of loathe!)

http://soundcloud.com/wayfu/wayfinder-1986-2011

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

unSavory posted:

Today I was listening to Neon Indian and decided to see how close I could get to their sound, I guess as an exercise of sorts. I was bored. Here's what I came up with in about a half hour of tinkering. Anybody have a suggestion of how to get that low-fi old-cassette-tape warble that bands like that seem to all have? (Neon Indian, Washed Out, etc)

There's really something to this in the middle when that harmony comes in. Nice stuff. I don't really listen to Neon Indian so I can't answer your question though, haha.

Edit: finally finished this today (OK, well, there are vocal bits that could be better but I've been re-re-re-recording for weeks and I'm sick of it)

http://soundcloud.com/tx87/run-to-you

It's my first time writing lyrics and singing, but I think I did alright, considering. Thoughts?

Computer Jones fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Aug 20, 2011

Vector 7
Sep 29, 2010

I spent all day today reading the manual for the DCAM synths, and I'm blown away. I always liked them, and I actually felt like I understood how to use them, but it turns out I didn't really understand how the modulation system worked or how innovative it was.

Being able to do unison spread on any parameter? Amazing.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Are there any good resources on song composition? I'm getting fairly good at programming sounds, but whenever I try to put them to use I never get past 1-bar loops. I'm not good at making melodies and I also have no idea what instruments to use other than lead, bass and drums (I'm terrible at pads, making them and using them).
Ideally, I would want a resource on 80's disco/italo disco/electronic music rather than techno/trance etc. but I guess anything that could help me figure out what to do.

Vector 7 posted:

I spent all day today reading the manual for the DCAM synths, and I'm blown away. I always liked them, and I actually felt like I understood how to use them, but it turns out I didn't really understand how the modulation system worked or how innovative it was.

Being able to do unison spread on any parameter? Amazing.

Synth Squad is awesome, but the demo is only usable as a toy since you can't save anything you've done (or rather, load it after saving). I guess it still did its job though, because I'm buying it next month for sure!
Thanks for recommending it, it's everything I ever wanted :allears:

slipped
Jul 12, 2001
-edit- bumped to the synth thread, seems more appropriate there.

slipped fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Aug 21, 2011

Vector 7
Sep 29, 2010

I would like to start to do YouTube videos on sound design and VSTs. Can someone point me in the direction of some software to make the videos with? I like Plugin Guru's videos, or videos like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5JzqwHHY0M

Does anyone know what program is being used to make this? I think I could really make some helpful tutorials. I've never made a video, however, so if anyone has any advice I'm really open to hearing it.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Vector 7 posted:

I would like to start to do YouTube videos on sound design and VSTs. Can someone point me in the direction of some software to make the videos with? I like Plugin Guru's videos, or videos like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5JzqwHHY0M

Does anyone know what program is being used to make this? I think I could really make some helpful tutorials. I've never made a video, however, so if anyone has any advice I'm really open to hearing it.

For generic screen capture advice, I'd recommend going to the LP Tech Support sticky(http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3370185) to help you out there. It should have all of the basic advice you'd need for making videos.

Your Computer posted:

Are there any good resources on song composition? I'm getting fairly good at programming sounds, but whenever I try to put them to use I never get past 1-bar loops. I'm not good at making melodies and I also have no idea what instruments to use other than lead, bass and drums (I'm terrible at pads, making them and using them).
Ideally, I would want a resource on 80's disco/italo disco/electronic music rather than techno/trance etc. but I guess anything that could help me figure out what to do.
Listen to melodies, make melodies. It's a trial and error thing, the more you do the better you'll get. No matter how good you may think you are it's pretty much universal in art for your first tries to be pretty bad, so don't feel distraught if your beginning melodies aren't up to professional level. Music theory can help here, too, but it won't give you a catch-all how-to on making good sounding music, and it certainly won't write melodies for you. Using inspiration from other sources in the genre will definitely be a huge help here.

pog boyfriend fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Aug 21, 2011

Vector 7
Sep 29, 2010

eilios posted:

For generic screen capture advice, I'd recommend going to the LP Tech Support sticky.
Perfect. Thanks a ton.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
You could look into camtasia, I think it does what you need.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
http://soundcloud.com/downpour/downpour-ketos

I'd love some feedback if possible :)
It's techno. big, heavy and loopy.

Vector 7
Sep 29, 2010

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

You could look into camtasia, I think it does what you need.
I think that's what I'm looking for. Thanks for the heads up.

Anyone want anything specific? I could do tutorials for Massive (or any of the NI stuff), Live, Synth Squad, Razor, or just sound design in general.

That Wicked Walrus
Sep 24, 2010

you've gotta keep movin'
Can you do one for white noise in the context of dance music?

Also, can people post their favorite youtube tutorial dudes? You can learn a LOT from watching those guys.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

http://www.cosm.co.nz/index.php?option=com_community&view=videos&catid=3

Tom Cosm + Ableton = :science:

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Well I know what I'm doing today.

bog savant
Mar 15, 2008

unending immaturity
Here's an 808 workout thing, was stoked on it as I was making it but now, eh, sounds kinda messy:

http://soundcloud.com/jemry/just-a-bit

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Vector 7 posted:

sound design in general.

The technical side of massive/ableton whatever, people need to stop being babies and learn how to read the manual. But concepts, reasons for doing things, actual learned methods are tutorials that will never stop being relevant.

Amperor
Oct 27, 2010

cubicle gangster posted:

The technical side of massive/ableton whatever, people need to stop being babies and learn how to read the manual. But concepts, reasons for doing things, actual learned methods are tutorials that will never stop being relevant.

Seconding this. Software-specific stuff is all well and good, but concepts and thought processes that transcend platform will be more widely useful/beneficial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

One of my favourite tutorials was where the guy used saw and sine waves to make a drum kit using ableton's sampler and effects. It was fascinating to see how the sounds could be created just from a bit of random noise.

• Locked thread