Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loco
Dec 6, 2006

Why is.. Those things?

Lowclock posted:

e36 window regulator help
Thanks for the help! I successfully replaced the clips and pins (putting the pin in the clip closer to the front of the car was REALLY frustrating). I lubed everything up and think I did a good job, but I hear unnatural popping sounds when putting the window all the way down. Starting to think the regulator is bent out of shape, but if it fails again, I'll at least know my way around the door to possibly replace it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
Can you guys help me with the identification, based on a very vague description, of a BMW M-car?

It was a 2-seater, 2-door but it had a hatch-back. It was a little (but not much) like a station wagon, but it had a long hood and a definite sporty look to it that had me crossing the street to check it out. This was in Charleston, SC [USA] (there's a BMW plant in Spartanburg, SC, in case that's somehow relevant) so I figure it is almost certainly USDM-spec.

When I went up and looked at it, the badge just said "M" with the rainbow around it, and poo poo; but its was no more specific than that - i.e. "M3" or "M5" (or like I wish existed in the States, that 1 series M car).

edit: Oh yeah, the body very slightly reminded me of the new Ferrari FF's profile:
http://images.google.com/search?tbm...l1099l1.6.1l8l0

whose tuggin fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Aug 18, 2011

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?
Well I got it back and the wobble is gone. They insist I need new tires and that it's because my suspension is worn, but the wobble is totally gone, at least on the limited test I did. Yet they insist they did nothing.... Yeah right. Damned tire shops. This is why I buy online.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Was it this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M_Coupe

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit

Chinatown posted:

Was it this?

Yeah! It was that. Its funny 'cause I specifically refrained from using the word "coupe" to describe it solely because of the shape of the very-tail-end (you know, the hatch-ish part)

Thanks man.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
Also, I had no idea that anyone, anywhere was still putting out cars with straight-6's. Maybe I'm just naive. I wonder if its canted over.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

The Scientist posted:

Also, I had no idea that anyone, anywhere was still putting out cars with straight-6's. Maybe I'm just naive. I wonder if its canted over.

45ish degrees or so

e: more like 70*

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Chinatown posted:

Was it this?

Ugliest BMW :[

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

The Scientist posted:

The vast majority of BMWs (in the US) sold in the past 30 year up to the present are straight-sixes. Unfortunately it's slowly changing with BMW starting to put turbo-4s into everything. I understand the reasons, and they do look like awesome engines, but I sure will miss the glorious straight-sixes.

AlternateAccount posted:

You take that back!

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

AlternateAccount posted:

That's funny because I have always thought these things looked fantastic and someday will own one. So you shush.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Deceptor101 posted:

That's funny because I have always thought these things looked fantastic and someday will own one. So you shush.

I dig that it looks kind of unique....ly... ugly...

I don't mind the Z4 version though and would totally drive that. FWIW, I don't much care for the Z3 roadster either.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
The clutch pedal on my E30 is starting to bind intermittently. It works 98% of the time but every once in a while it only lets me push the pedal in about half way until I release it and press it again. Nothing is behind the pedal to get in the way, any idea what's going on?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

The Scientist posted:

Volvo and LR are still truckin with the I6 as well.

I want to love the clownshoe, and I ought to love the clownshoe, but I just can't. Sorry :(

Also, the 1 series M is now available in MURICA.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I want to love the clownshoe, and I ought to love the clownshoe, but I just can't. Sorry :(

Haha, I was like NO WAY ARE THEY CALLING THAT THING AN M1. I checked and of course, it's the "1 series M coupe."

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Clownshoe is the ugliest loving thing

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I wonder if I can arrange a test drive. How rich do I need to make myself look? It wouldn't be too outlandish, I guess. The streets run blue with BMW's in this town[Charleston, South Carolina]. The 328i here is as ubiquitous as the Camry and Accord in other cities, I swear.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

I...I don't know if I can like any of you guys now.

The Clownshoe is the best BMW ever, apart from the 3.0 CS. I almost bought an S54-powered example before I remembered that I was looking for a daily driver.

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi

The Scientist posted:

I wonder if I can arrange a test drive. How rich do I need to make myself look? It wouldn't be too outlandish, I guess.
You'd probably have to put a deposit down on the 1m to get a test drive considering the demand and insane markups...unless they were really, really bored or nice or insane. But that doesn't matter, I think most people would argue that if you really wanted to experience a BMW I6 in all it's glory, you'd want to find an e46 m3 or anything with a s54 stuffed in it.

MrChips posted:

I...I don't know if I can like any of you guys now.

The Clownshoe is the best BMW ever, apart from the 3.0 CS. I almost bought an S54-powered example before I remembered that I was looking for a daily driver.
We really need a Clownshoe Anti-Defamation League.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Clownshoe is my most wanted BMW, but the markups for the s52 version are still ridiculous considering they aren't THAT dissimilar in performance to the e36 m3. Still the best looking non round headlight BMW.

Also, dude accepted my offer on the zhp. Come Friday I will be yet another e46 jerk.

Also, I saw a 1M in Halifax yesterday. With the small production run (1000 worldwide?) I was surprised to see one with Nova Scotia plates.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

The Scientist posted:

I wonder if I can arrange a test drive. How rich do I need to make myself look? It wouldn't be too outlandish, I guess. The streets run blue with BMW's in this town[Charleston, South Carolina]. The 328i here is as ubiquitous as the Camry and Accord in other cities, I swear.

you can probably walk in to any dealership in the united states and if you're dressed correctly they will let you drive a car

production on 1M doesn't have a firm cap but it will end Q1 2012 when they retool for the new, uglier 1, so probably less than 1000 but who knows really

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

While that's typically true, for certain limited run vehicles that already have mile-long waiting lists and dealer markups (like a 1M), many dealers won't give you a test drive without plunking down a deposit. Not all, but most.

If you just want to go drive a regular 135i or 328i or whatever, then yeah just go to a dealership without looking like a homeless person and they'll throw you the keys.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
But do they sell any 1 series cars in the USDM? That's why I was finding it so curious that they were selling the 1 series M here.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

The Scientist posted:

But do they sell any 1 series cars in the USDM? That's why I was finding it so curious that they were selling the 1 series M here.

Yeah, we get the 128i and 135i, but just the coupes in each case. We don't get all the crazy-engined models Europe gets.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

two_beer_bishes posted:

The clutch pedal on my E30 is starting to bind intermittently. It works 98% of the time but every once in a while it only lets me push the pedal in about half way until I release it and press it again. Nothing is behind the pedal to get in the way, any idea what's going on?

Mine started doing this when my throw out bearing decided to seize and break in half.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

you can probably walk in to any dealership in the united states and if you're dressed correctly they will let you drive a car

Depends on the dealer. Peter Pan BMW in San Mateo, CA won't give you the time of day.

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

The monkey is NOT impressed...
Reeves here in Tampa is pretty nice. I showed up to the parts area in my E46 and as I was walking out, some dealer stopped me and simply said "Hey, nice 330, would you be interested in test driving the new 335i?" and I was in cargo shorts and a Party Fowl t-shirt...

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

Standard tire size on my e46 328i is 205/55/16. Tirerack says I could go up to 225/50/16. I like the look of wider tires, and I suppose I'll have a little better grip right? I know some of the 330's came with 225s in the front and 245s in the rear, so I have the clearance right? Never hurts to make sure.

Also, now that I know my suspension is lightly destroying my front tires, whats the chance I can get a suspension refresh for less than 1k. What brands are good for shocks/struts/springs etc?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Fermunky posted:

Reeves here in Tampa is pretty nice. I showed up to the parts area in my E46 and as I was walking out, some dealer stopped me and simply said "Hey, nice 330, would you be interested in test driving the new 335i?" and I was in cargo shorts and a Party Fowl t-shirt...

I think if you show up driving a BMW they're probably more likely to let you test drive a newer one. As long as its not a ratty E30 or E36 or something I guess.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

rscott posted:

I think if you show up driving a BMW they're probably more likely to let you test drive a newer one. As long as its not a ratty E30 or E36 or something I guess.

I think this is pretty much true. When I was with my boss to look at cars since he had just moved here, the local dealership wouldn't give us the time of day. I had my 335 in for service a few days ago and they were practically begging me to test drive the new 535 and 550 even though I told them I wouldn't want to buy a new car for at least a year.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Lightbulb Out posted:

Mine started doing this when my throw out bearing decided to seize and break in half.

Oooh, that sounds bad :(

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
So the oil light came on this morning in my '05 ZHP as I was driving to work. I pulled over because if it comes on while driving it means "oil level is at minimum level, drive no more than 30 miles". I turned off the car, turned it back on, and it went away, drove the rest of the way to work (~15 miles) with no problems. Was that an error or what? I have had the car for approx 5500 miles. I will check the level later but I'm at work right now.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Chinatown posted:

So the oil light came on this morning in my '05 ZHP as I was driving to work. I pulled over because if it comes on while driving it means "oil level is at minimum level, drive no more than 30 miles". I turned off the car, turned it back on, and it went away, drove the rest of the way to work (~15 miles) with no problems. Was that an error or what? I have had the car for approx 5500 miles. I will check the level later but I'm at work right now.

Why didn't you just check the level right there? Do you have a dipstick?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Well it went off, and stayed off, and I was late for work. But yeah its in the parking lot now so I'm planning on doing that at lunch. Just wondering if anyone has heard of something like that happening.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

two_beer_bishes posted:

Yeah, I'd check your slave cylinder, too. However, it sounds exactly like what happened to me. I was 5 hours away from home and went to clutch in and it wouldn't, and then clutched in again and it was rough but fine. Eventually it got so bad that every time you pushed the clutch in it made terrible terrible noises and was extremely hard to change gears and such. The throw out bearing had seized, all the bearings had fallen out, broken in half, and then started bluing the pressure plate. It didn't help I had driven it for 3-4 weeks like that. Do you hear any noises when you're in neutral and push the clutch in and out?

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Chinatown posted:

Well it went off, and stayed off, and I was late for work. But yeah its in the parking lot now so I'm planning on doing that at lunch. Just wondering if anyone has heard of something like that happening.

Sensors do die and break so... yes? I sure as poo poo wouldn't have kept driving even if the light didn't come back on though. However if your engine didn't seize then it is probably just a bad sensor.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Chinatown posted:

The oil level sender on E46s commonly goes bad, but fortunately are easily replaced. Even if it is working fine, if you're right on the threshold of triggering it turning the car off and on usually clears it out for a while. Regardless, don't trust the light, check your dipstick.

Sounds like you already know from reading the manual, but the oil level sender is what triggers the yellow oil light, meaning low but not immediately dangerous. If its a red oil light, that means you have no oil pressure and pull over and stop immediately because something is seriously wrong.

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

The monkey is NOT impressed...

two_beer_bishes posted:

Yeah, the sound IS terrible. Here's what mine did earlier this year

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/EcD3ZxeBT5bfKt4TKJX33Q?feat=embedwebsite

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Here's a good thread with pics on how to replace it.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=174357

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Guinness posted:

The oil level sender on E46s commonly goes bad, but fortunately are easily replaced. Even if it is working fine, if you're right on the threshold of triggering it turning the car off and on usually clears it out for a while. Regardless, don't trust the light, check your dipstick.

Sounds like you already know from reading the manual, but the oil level sender is what triggers the yellow oil light, meaning low but not immediately dangerous. If its a red oil light, that means you have no oil pressure and pull over and stop immediately because something is seriously wrong.

Thanks. Gonna check the level at lunch and throw a quart in just to be safe if the level is fine. I was planning on having the oil changed next week anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Chinatown posted:

Thanks. Gonna check the level at lunch and throw a quart in just to be safe if the level is fine.

No! Bad! Don't randomly add oil. Check the dipstick and if it's at the appropriate level then replace the sensor.