Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Zakath posted:

I have a question about my Google voice number -- currently it's the same as my Sprint number, but if I were to leave Sprint for some other carrier, would my Google voice number get changed?

You could probably just port it to Google Voice for $20, worst case scenario.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tomguycot
Jan 11, 2001
Forum Veteran

"d[-.- posted:

b"]
So Engadget reviewed the Photon. I don't understand why they hate the Evo 3D so much. They call the Photon Sprint and Motorola's best phone yet, while calling the 3D disappointing, and saying "Instead of trying to wow us with a gimmicky 3D camera, it differentiates itself by being Sprint's first global phone with WiMAX, and as such supports CDMA / EV-DO for North America along with GSM / HSPA for the rest of the world."

They admit that the Photon is a slower phone, has a lovely Pentile qHD screen, and doesn't have some amazing camera. So what amazing features does it have that place it above the 3D, which has a faster processor? It's 1) .9 mm wider, 2) has a kickstand, 3) is a worldphone, and 4) doesn't have gimmicky 3D.

Engadget doesn't seem to understand that the 3D aspect is entirely optional.

I really do not understand this either. I have been using an Evo 3d since launch and I love it. The only thing that I can figure out is that this is all just backlash against the 3d feature which I agree is a gimmick, but give me a break! It is 100% optional and in no way detracts from what is otherwise a stellar phone. It even has a physical camera button which I'll take over a kickstand any day of the week.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

tomguycot posted:

It even has a physical camera button which I'll take over a kickstand any day of the week.

You know, I like the look of the camera button, but in practice, isn't it just a weird squarish protrusion that hinders sliding it in/out of pockets easily?

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Ugh why should I buy TEP if what it covers changes constantly, but I HAVE to make a decision within 30 days?

I don't really ever give a poo poo about scratches or even screen cracks...I care about losing the entire phone or dropping it in water, and if Sprint is going to hold the right to change the terms at will, why don't I have the right to enroll/dis-enroll whenever I want?

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

yellowjournalism posted:

Ugh why should I buy TEP if what it covers changes constantly, but I HAVE to make a decision within 30 days?

I don't really ever give a poo poo about scratches or even screen cracks...I care about losing the entire phone or dropping it in water, and if Sprint is going to hold the right to change the terms at will, why don't I have the right to enroll/dis-enroll whenever I want?

TEP has never changed for what it covered. The only changes were what was able to be covered in store for free (with TEP) or $35 (without TEP) instead of the standard $50/$100 deductible. If you could sign up at any time for it, then everyone would just wait until they break the phone and then enroll to save money on a replacement.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
I guess the OP was a little misleading..

I also read briefly in the Recommend thread that someone should just "enroll in insurance" to get a replacement phone, so that's where I got that impression.

I suppose I'll get it, I can't afford to lose a smartphone again.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

tomguycot posted:

It even has a physical camera button which I'll take over a kickstand any day of the week.

I disagree. We (my wife and I) find think the physical camera button is useless and in the way. We never use it while I use the kickstand on my EVO daily.

Still I do think the EVO 3D did get some unfair reviews. My wife loves hers and the phone has some pretty good battery life for a high end Android device. I think there is a 3D backlash going on (which I sort of agree with) that hurt reviews and sales. Plus the naming of the phone was stupid. Doesn't matter if 3D optional or not to some people, they just hate 3D.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Aredna posted:

TEP has never changed for what it covered. The only changes were what was able to be covered in store for free (with TEP) or $35 (without TEP) instead of the standard $50/$100 deductible. If you could sign up at any time for it, then everyone would just wait until they break the phone and then enroll to save money on a replacement.

TEP has small changes made it it fairly regularly, unfortunately, some good some bad. TEP was one feature that suffered from Sprint's problem of offering great benefits to customers, then cutting back once they realize its really expensive to do so. For about 6 months last year TEP included ANY physical damage with NO deductible, and Sprint just up and changed that policy it one week. Sprint also just jacked the pricing from $7 to $8 a month. On the plus side, Sprint a few months back started including some pretty nice tracking options with insurance, so that's nice.

yellowjournalism posted:

I guess the OP was a little misleading..

I also read briefly in the Recommend thread that someone should just "enroll in insurance" to get a replacement phone, so that's where I got that impression.

I suppose I'll get it, I can't afford to lose a smartphone again.

Sorry if it sounds confusing, I'll look through the OP and maybe try to reword that. I do recommend SOMETHING to protect your phone if you are one to sign contracts and get subsidized phone pricing. Its all about what you want to "risk" though. A good number of people get through without ever having to use insurance. A good number of people break their phone in the first month. It just varies. I'll post more info on insurance in just a bit.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

nate fisher posted:

I disagree. We (my wife and I) find think the physical camera button is useless and in the way. We never use it while I use the kickstand on my EVO daily.

Completely agree, I realized that the reason I was getting blurry pictures was because I shake the camera everytime I press the button. Absolutely useless.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

Duckman2008 posted:

TEP has small changes made it it fairly regularly, unfortunately, some good some bad. TEP was one feature that suffered from Sprint's problem of offering great benefits to customers, then cutting back once they realize its really expensive to do so. For about 6 months last year TEP included ANY physical damage with NO deductible, and Sprint just up and changed that policy it one week. Sprint also just jacked the pricing from $7 to $8 a month. On the plus side, Sprint a few months back started including some pretty nice tracking options with insurance, so that's nice.

I forgot about the price change on it recently. I wasn't very clear with the physical damage thing, but that's what I was referring to with what was covered for free/$35 vs paying the $50/$100 deductible. What I meant to say was that the $50/$100 deductible piece hasn't changed and covers lost/stolen/any damage.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
FYI--TEP is actually 2 plans of coverage combined with a $1 discount. Equipment Replacement Program is the insurance through Assurion that covers loss/theft, water and physical abuse/misuse with a $100 deductible. Equipment Service and Repair Program is the portion that waives the $35 fee to have a technician repair or replace your phone for a defect.

On my phones I carry only ERP for $5 monthly (previously $4). The times I've had to go in for service, I just feign ignorance when the tech asks, saying, "Yeah, I have the insurance." Haven't had to pay the $35, so I didn't even consider adding the full TEP during this month's open enrollment period.

Also, once the phones on my account reach the point a used replacement costs less than the $100 deductible, or I have a line with an upgrade available, I cancel TEP. You can reenroll when you upgrade.

EDIT: Forgot to mention you can enroll in TEP/ESRP after you have to pay for the $35 service fee out of pocket. TEP is $8 (+3 over just ERP) and ESRP is $4 by itself.

goku chewbacca fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Aug 16, 2011

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

Duckman2008 posted:

Sorry if it sounds confusing, I'll look through the OP and maybe try to reword that. I do recommend SOMETHING to protect your phone if you are one to sign contracts and get subsidized phone pricing. Its all about what you want to "risk" though. A good number of people get through without ever having to use insurance. A good number of people break their phone in the first month. It just varies. I'll post more info on insurance in just a bit.

Thanks! Yeah I used my upgrade and signed a 2yr for a discounted Evo 3D which should be here tomorrow. I fried my R2D2 Droid 2 after about 6 months which threw everything out of whack and I don't want to be without Android so long again. So yeah definitely need some kind of coverage.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

yellowjournalism posted:

Thanks! Yeah I used my upgrade and signed a 2yr for a discounted Evo 3D which should be here tomorrow. I fried my R2D2 Droid 2 after about 6 months which threw everything out of whack and I don't want to be without Android so long again. So yeah definitely need some kind of coverage.

Ok, cool. Everyone here has great points and ideas on insurance. i deal primarily with the $8 TEP, so here are some of the things to know about it:

-$8 a month
-can be added within 30 days of adding or swapping a phone, usually cannot be after that period
-$100 deductible for smartphones: Lost, stolen and honestly most physical damage.
-$0 deductible if a screen crack is under 1" or whatever physical damage is not that bad
-Overnight shipping unless backordered
-$0 for warranty repairs/swaps in store (instead of having to go through HTC)
-TEP app for tracking/wiping phone (nice to have)
-phoneclaim.com/sprint for ordering a new phone

Honestly, how I tend to view it is that TEP isn't cheap. if you want to save the most money, its riskier but not having TEP will obviously save money. What TEP is on Sprint is a convenience, its a convenient way to quickly (and at the moment cheaper) get your phone fixed/repaired than going through the hassle of buying on craigslist. It makes warranty replacements cheaper and easier. And it is good to factor in the unsaid factor that if you have a problem, insurance is likely factored in on how valuable you are to Sprint.

Thoughts on whether I should just paste what I just wrote into the OP?

tomguycot
Jan 11, 2001
Forum Veteran

nate fisher posted:

Still I do think the EVO 3D did get some unfair reviews. My wife loves hers and the phone has some pretty good battery life for a high end Android device. I think there is a 3D backlash going on (which I sort of agree with) that hurt reviews and sales. Plus the naming of the phone was stupid. Doesn't matter if 3D optional or not to some people, they just hate 3D.

To each his own in regards to the camera button but I am certainly a fan of having the extra tactile feedback that a real button gives. I also haven't found myself having a problem with the buttons slight protrusion (I've had the phone for almost two months).

I do agree though that the whole 3d thing should probably have just been left off the phone since most people's gut reaction is that it is a gimmick and thus the whole phone is a gimmick which is unfortunate. I know I would rather have a slightly better camera sensor than a 3d one if given the choice.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I have to say this you can not go wrong with the EVO 3D at all (or even the Photon). Great phone. If I wasn't in the mood for a non-HTC device or the Nexus ICE I would have one. Great phone!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Everyone, your dreams have come true. The Kyocera Echo is now free at Sprint.

The thought that comes to mind is "it took this long?"

Fyi, for Nexus people, the Nexus is dropping to $49.99.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

Duckman2008 posted:

Ok, cool. Everyone here has great points and ideas on insurance. i deal primarily with the $8 TEP, so here are some of the things to know about it:

-$8 a month
-can be added within 30 days of adding or swapping a phone, usually cannot be after that period
-$100 deductible for smartphones: Lost, stolen and honestly most physical damage.
-$0 deductible if a screen crack is under 1" or whatever physical damage is not that bad
-Overnight shipping unless backordered
-$0 for warranty repairs/swaps in store (instead of having to go through HTC)
-TEP app for tracking/wiping phone (nice to have)
-phoneclaim.com/sprint for ordering a new phone

Honestly, how I tend to view it is that TEP isn't cheap. if you want to save the most money, its riskier but not having TEP will obviously save money. What TEP is on Sprint is a convenience, its a convenient way to quickly (and at the moment cheaper) get your phone fixed/repaired than going through the hassle of buying on craigslist. It makes warranty replacements cheaper and easier. And it is good to factor in the unsaid factor that if you have a problem, insurance is likely factored in on how valuable you are to Sprint.

Thoughts on whether I should just paste what I just wrote into the OP?

I think it's a good idea. Thanks for the info.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe

Duckman2008 posted:

Everyone, your dreams have come true. The Kyocera Echo is now free at Sprint.

The thought that comes to mind is "it took this long?"

Fyi, for Nexus people, the Nexus is dropping to $49.99.

Getting one of these ASAP. Who needs dual cores on the Evo 3D when you can have dual screens.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

averox posted:

Getting one of these ASAP. Who needs dual cores on the Evo 3D when you can have dual screens.

The battery life on that thing must be horrible.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

FlyingCheese posted:

The battery life on that thing must be horrible.

It actually isn't, and it does come with a portable battery and battery charger.

I used the Echo for a week. Did I like it? Yes. Would I recommend it for people here? With the 3D and Photon, probably..not....

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
OK, so I got my replacement EVO in the mail. After a bit of panicking, I've got the new phone activated and working on my account, and my old one is deactivated. My old one was rooted and s-off. I'm trying to set it back to S-ON but my radio was on an incompatible version for the s-on tool, so I was advised on IRC to flash an older Froyo RUU to get the radio back.

Anyway to make a long story short, does Sprint give a crap that the phone is sent back to them wiped and on an old version of android/radio/etc? As long as its s-on they are happy?

Edit: none of this matters now as I found a PC36IMG of the latest software and got s-on finally. All happy now. Thanks again!

OMGMYSPLEEN fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Aug 17, 2011

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

Sprint/Google released Android 2.3.5 on July 25th, I believe...
It also removes the bug that allowed people to tether for free.

O NO! I am a shithead who can't read!

Sorry all, I thought this affected the 3D. My bad.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Aug 17, 2011

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Faustus posted:

O NO! I was gonna buy the 3D tonight! Argh.

What does the Nexus S having 2.3.5 have to do with you not getting an Evo 3D? It's still a better phone hardware wise by a long shot.

Dansu
Jun 26, 2000
Forum Veteran
Also just root your 3D and you'll get the free hotspot anyway.

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK
I can't make calls or access data while roaming anymore for some reason. When I make calls I hear a Verizon message saying they can't authenticate my phone.

Tried updating my PRL and Profile, no change.

Also reverted to stock (no s-off) and did a factory reset. Same issue.

However, I can manually change my PRL to a Verizon one and it works fine. Obviously don't want to do this as a solution.

Calling support was met with "Update your PRL" over and over and then "Go to the store we can't troubleshoot Android devices over the phone."

The gently caress? EVO 3D for reference. Any ideas?

M3wThr33
Sep 4, 2004

I gave up long ago trying to contribute anything ever.
Android Central hasn't been much of a help, but my Evo 3D has trouble getting a 4G connection.

It seems to turn on, scan, then turn off and eternally cycle between those three states.

Is that normal if it can't find a good signal?

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
So I hear Sprint is going to bump up an Administrative Fee by $1.50. Combined with the $1 increase in TEP recently, I'm thinking it may not be all bad to go to T-Mobile.

Sprint: $50+taxes, subsidized smartphones (I just signed a new contract to get my Optimus for free so I'm good there :keke: ) and unlimited data/texts. However, 4G is always (ALWAYS) a crapshoot and I'm running MIUI on my EVO which doesn't support 4G anyway.

T-Mobile: $60+taxes, no subsidized smartphones, limited/throttled data. Unlimited texts. (Or $50? What's the Value plan? /me needs to head to the TMO thread)

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

M3wThr33 posted:

Android Central hasn't been much of a help, but my Evo 3D has trouble getting a 4G connection.

It seems to turn on, scan, then turn off and eternally cycle between those three states.

Is that normal if it can't find a good signal?

Where are you trying it? Remember that the type of radio waves that 4g uses can't penetrate as much as 3g, so it's much less basement friendly.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005
Anybody tried using the 3D, or really any phone that supports DLNA with a Logitech Revue? My dad got one, and I tried the instructions for both the Revue and Evo3D, and they wouldn't recognize each other. Never tried it on another device since I never had anything that supported it, so I'm not certain I set it up right.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Tried out the new Blackberry Torch today, and I gotta say its way more impressive than the reviews make it out to be. Probably not better than android, but at least blackberry is taking things seriously. And the touch screen keyboard is actually really good, I think engadget was too harsh on that part. All in all, quite possibly not a bad buy, at least on first impressions.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Just got a notification to download Evo 3D OTA Upgrade 2.08.651.2 (45.67MB).

Is this S-OFF? Here goes...

EDIT: Nope.

Build 2.08.651.2 Change log:
- Making addiitional preloaded apps uninstallable by user
- Device lockscreen stuck in half-state
- Birthday one day off between contacts and Facebook when synced
- Ability to transfer all contacts over Bluetooth
- Random GPS coordinates issue
- Lockscreen displays 3 digit temperature correctly
- Spiderman demo lockups
- Update to applications: spiderman, watch, Qik

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Aug 18, 2011

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL
...and this is why throttling is inevitable.

:(

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Whoa a whopping 779 MB per month, how can the wireless companies possibly keep up with this demand???

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
I don't think you realize it, but that's over 6.5 billion bits. Ones are zeros aren't cheap you know.

Edit: That chart comparing average vs. median usage shows just how many people aren't using that much data, and how much the top people must be using to skew the two numbers that much.

Aredna fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Aug 18, 2011

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Alman posted:

But Sprint has fewer subscribers than AT&T and Verizon.

I can't find the number of smartphone subscribers for them, but if we assume the smartphone/total_phone ratio is the same for Sprint as for Verzion & AT&T, then their subscriber proportion is 49% and 53% respectively. If we also assume network capacity is the same (ha!), then there's less data consumption in total by Sprint users than both AT&T and Verzion, even at a nearly-double consumption rate per-subscriber. Of course, the problem isn't total data capacity, but rather local capacity in high-demand markets.

Thing is, if Sprint switched on throttling tomorrow I'd expect average consumption to fall closer to median since you'll get rid of the 5+ GB/mo outliers. But Sprint's median usage is still over twice that of Verizon & AT&T, and I woudn't expect that to change, especially if it was a throttle and not quota + penalty.

Interesting study. One thing it suggests is that Sprint's network has sufficient coverage to provide sufficient access to data for folks. T-Mo's median is really low, which makes me thing their 3G network is really insufficient and folks are relying on WiFi.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Aug 18, 2011

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

traveling midget posted:

Build 2.08.651.2 Change log:
- Making addiitional preloaded apps uninstallable by user
- Device lockscreen stuck in half-state
- Birthday one day off between contacts and Facebook when synced
- Ability to transfer all contacts over Bluetooth
- Random GPS coordinates issue
- Lockscreen displays 3 digit temperature correctly
- Spiderman demo lockups
- Update to applications: spiderman, watch, Qik

Not bad for a maintenance update. I've found the occasional half lockscreen and Facebook birthday issues annoying.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

traveling midget posted:

There was never going to be an OTA that does S-OFF. The official process is going to be submitting your serial # to HTC so they can void the warranty on it before you get a code that lets you run their unlocker.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Alman posted:

:(

I wish "consumer-friendly" publications would stop using the carriers' language of "hogs" and "oink oink". Please. We're just using something we loving paid for. :mad:

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

IOwnCalculus posted:

There was never going to be an OTA that does S-OFF. The official process is going to be submitting your serial # to HTC so they can void the warranty on it before you get a code that lets you run their unlocker.

lol what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

ExcessBLarg! posted:

But Sprint has fewer subscribers than AT&T and Verizon.

I can't find the number of smartphone subscribers for them, but if we assume the smartphone/total_phone ratio is the same for Sprint as for Verzion & AT&T, then their subscriber proportion is 49% and 53% respectively. If we also assume network capacity is the same (ha!), then there's less data consumption in total by Sprint users than both AT&T and Verzion, even at a nearly-double consumption rate per-subscriber. Of course, the problem isn't total data capacity, but rather local capacity in high-demand markets.

Thing is, if Sprint switched on throttling tomorrow I'd expect average consumption to fall closer to median since you'll get rid of the 5+ GB/mo outliers. But Sprint's median usage is still over twice that of Verizon & AT&T, and I woudn't expect that to change, especially if it was a throttle and not quota + penalty.

Interesting study. One thing it suggests is that Sprint's network has sufficient coverage to provide sufficient access to data for folks. T-Mo's median is really low, which makes me thing their 3G network is really insufficient and folks are relying on WiFi.

Yeah, since Sprint has about half the customers (a little less actually I think?) than AT&T or Verizon, gross data consumption as a total is probably about the same as one of the top two. But since a LOT of the backhaul for Sprint coverage is leased from other telecoms (read: AT&T, Verizon), the cost is actually higher, putting a larger financial burden on a smaller company with substantially smaller revenues. The $10 smartphone fee has helped recoup some of those losses by boosting ARPU a bit, but in the end, until providing data becomes more cost-effective, the only solution I can see is introducing a more expensive unlimited plan, introducing throttling, introducing tiered pricing, or some sort of combination of those.