Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Say I've got an acappella track, and I want to use it as the basis for a Live song. What's the best way to go about getting the song-length vocal into sync with everything else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

Don't use the a capella, use the actual track. Sync it to live's tempo/grid the way you would any other track, then line the a capella up to the track, then mute the original track. If you sync it up correctly you could in theory invert the waveform of the a capella and remove the original vocal from the track, in case you wanted to play around with that as well. ymmv though.

That Wicked Walrus
Sep 24, 2010

you've gotta keep movin'

a foolish pianist posted:

Say I've got an acappella track, and I want to use it as the basis for a Live song. What's the best way to go about getting the song-length vocal into sync with everything else?

warp it manually? assuming it's an acapella with non-human percussion you should be able to do it pretty easily. listen to the full vocal version to find the first beat of the acapella you want to use, click "set 1.1 here" or whatever the option is, and then adjust the warp markers as needed to get the acapella synced up. if you haven't practiced warping this may take a while.

That Wicked Walrus fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Aug 8, 2011

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

a foolish pianist posted:

Call me crazy, but I prefer not to timestretch/warp acapellas. I like to manually slice the whole thing, line it up as needed, and then consolidate it. It works really well to create slightly glitchy chopped up vocals, and preserves the key.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

vas0line posted:

Call me crazy, but I prefer not to timestretch/warp acapellas. I like to manually slice the whole thing, line it up as needed, and then consolidate it. It works really well to create slightly glitchy chopped up vocals, and preserves the key.

Isn't that precisely what Beat Mode warping is?

canned_fruit
Feb 4, 2008
I'm still fairly new to Ableton and am having a problem with pitch. I'm trying to recreate a cover song just using the midi draw mode and the in built instruments. At one point I need basically a smooth transition up an octave and I'm not exactly sure how to do it. I've tried using an envelope with pitch bend, but it doesn't seem to go high enough. The PB range says it's at 100%. I also tried using the "Pitch" midi effect but it doesn't transition smoothly.

Any ideas?

BUTTERWORBS
Oct 16, 2002

canned_fruit posted:

I'm still fairly new to Ableton and am having a problem with pitch. I'm trying to recreate a cover song just using the midi draw mode and the in built instruments. At one point I need basically a smooth transition up an octave and I'm not exactly sure how to do it. I've tried using an envelope with pitch bend, but it doesn't seem to go high enough. The PB range says it's at 100%. I also tried using the "Pitch" midi effect but it doesn't transition smoothly.

Any ideas?

I don't typically use any of Live's synths so I don't know if you'll be able to apply this, but in NI massive I'd set a macro to the pitch of the oscillator(s) used and then automate it. +12 or whatever.

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

colonp fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Mar 8, 2014

canned_fruit
Feb 4, 2008

colonp posted:

Which instrument are you using?

"Guitar-Strangler Lead" it's called.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

canned_fruit posted:

"Guitar-Strangler Lead" it's called.

That preset is an instrument rack, which is basically a stack of live devices instead of just a single instrument/effect, so to get to the wanted parameter, we need to dig a little deeper!

First, open the chain list with one of the round buttons on the left side of the rack and then open the chain (the only one on the list, "Strangler Lead") by double clicking on it. Then you'll see a dozen live devices open up one after the other (the audio signal starts from the leftmost instrument and travels to the right through all the effects). We need the first device, also labeled "Strangler Lead", but it's collapsed to a vertical bar so you need to double click it to expand it.

Now the PB Range parameter should be visible in the middle portion of the device (if not, first click on the rightmost tab of the device that has the volume, vib, detune etc. parameters in it). Just crank it up to 12 so you'll have a range of +/-octave!

Another approach would be to turn the instrument monophonic (that means you'll only have one simultaneous sound, so no chords) and activate glide so all the overlapping notes will smoothly change pitches

canned_fruit
Feb 4, 2008
Perfect! And even got around the problem of having to deal with cents rather than semitones. Thanks for the in depth answer about chains too.

Dr Rotcod
May 20, 2004
I see the consistently reoccurring disappointment and failure you will continue to cause yourselves.
Do you guys know if there's a way to automate program changes from Live to Addictive Drums if I'm playing live (on stage)? What's the best way to do that if I'm using different kits within the same song?

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

I'm going on a two-week train trip in a couple weeks, I've just finished putting Ableton Live 8 on my Powerbook (1.5ghz G4 PPC) and I've put over a bunch of samples, the goal is to make *something* but I've got no idea what I will make, since that's a big part of the trip. Anyways, would anyone have recommendations on free plug-ins that will work with this laptop and version of Ableton? I'm just going to have the laptop and a camera, no keyboard or instruments or anything, but more options for things to play with would be awesome.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
Not sure if this is the best place to ask but I'll go for it. I'm waiting for my student version of Live 8 to get verified and I spent a while today watching some dBlue Glitch and Massive tutorials only to find out that Glitch is Windows only and Massive is $200. Are there any acceptable substitutes for either of these VSTs that can be had for free or on the cheap that are Mac compatible?

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

If you spend $200 on massive you're dumb because Komplete is $500. There's no student version though.

OG KUSH BLUNTS fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Aug 16, 2011

Vector 7
Sep 29, 2010

Thoogsby posted:

Not sure if this is the best place to ask but I'll go for it. I'm waiting for my student version of Live 8 to get verified and I spent a while today watching some dBlue Glitch and Massive tutorials only to find out that Glitch is Windows only and Massive is $200. Are there any acceptable substitutes for either of these VSTs that can be had for free or on the cheap that are Mac compatible?
I don't use any kind of glitchy VST for my edits, so I don't know anything about that, but I can say that there really isn't any VST I'm aware of that does what Massive does in the way that Massive does it. I know the Virus does wavetables, but it's way more expensive and doesn't have the same kind of implementation. There's a module for Eurorack called the Piston Honda that does wavetables (I have one, it's sick as hell), but you'd have to do the whole modular thing if you want to go that route. Seeing as how you're just starting out, I don't recommend it. There's the Waldorf wavetable synth, and the Nord one, but, again, those are more expensive then Massive.

I guess what I'm trying to say is to save up and get Massive, and, like OG KUSH BLUNTS said, it would be a better deal to go with the Komplete bundle. You'll be pretty well rigged up for synths and stuff if you go with Komplete. I really suggest you do that.

Next time, unless a question is directly related to Live, ask it in the general electronic music thread. There are dudes that use Logic and other DAWs that might check that thread that wouldn't check this one.

BUTTERWORBS
Oct 16, 2002

Massive loving owns

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

MASSIVE owns, yeah. There's a VST called Livecut that will let you glitch pretty well. If you mix it in with other FX (chain selector is your BFF) you can make some weird stuff with it. I put it in a rack with a flanger and autotalent and gave myself a headache rather quickly.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
Thanks for the answers dudes. I downloaded Livecut and I'll start burning the notion that I need Komplete into my brain.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Thoogsby posted:

Thanks for the answers dudes. I downloaded Livecut and I'll start burning the notion that I need Komplete into my brain.

Komplete 8 was just announced, I think? It looks crazy.

glorp
Dec 12, 2004

by T. Butt
I apologize if someone has asked this question before, but...

I'm putting together a little dj set of beats I've made, but I'd like everything to stay at it's original tempo (I've already warped 25+ tracks) so they sound more natural. Is there any way that you can automatically change the master tempo in clip mode when a certain clip comes on? Thanks!

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

glorp posted:

I apologize if someone has asked this question before, but...

I'm putting together a little dj set of beats I've made, but I'd like everything to stay at it's original tempo (I've already warped 25+ tracks) so they sound more natural. Is there any way that you can automatically change the master tempo in clip mode when a certain clip comes on? Thanks!

Yeah dude, just type in the BPM you want in the 'scene launch' track down the right hand side of the screen. So, for scene 1 type in '125 BPM' (or whatever), scene 2 '090 BPM' etc. This also works with time signatures (3/4, 7/15 etc).

NonzeroCircle fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Aug 16, 2011

grayrobot
Jul 20, 2002

colour malfunction
Ok so I picked up Live, have watched tutorials and have some books, but I need help translating my mixing process to one that works with Live. I need help pros!

Is traditional (non-DJ clip launch) mixing harder to do on live or am I just doing it wrong?

here's some examples -

How I am used to mixing in reaper:
Analyzing each track, splitting them, Budging and Stretching, Pitch Shifting, deleting sections, throwing in tons of volume and pan envelopes, EQ envelopes and rendering down the track when things start to get processor heavy (after about 30 or 40 tracks with individual processing on each.

On the same machine using live:
I can split tracks in the big arrangement view but I can't zoom way in on them and do that. Live also doesn't tell me what it's doing behind the scenes to control the volume at the beginning and the end of the clip. In other DAW's (Reaper, Vegas, Protools) I can mouse over the top right corner of a section in the arrangement view and get an interface to drop the volume, or designate a slope or curve volume drop, and it's reflected in the arrangement view. If I have a loud pop at the end of a clip, I have to just find it and cut it, and I can't zoom in very far so there's frustrating guesswork.

I can't do this with live?

Also, if my project has more than 2 warped sections, I have to render the whole phrase or my machine starts to get really bad digital clipping. I am guessing that the warp is being processed every time I play it? I would think that they would have optimized it to live in VM or cache it as a low quality HDD file, or maybe I need to render it every time, but that seems severe if I have several warped sections.

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

colonp fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Mar 8, 2014

grayrobot
Jul 20, 2002

colour malfunction

colonp posted:

You have a zoom tool available just above the arrangement ruler/timething (ie. where the 1 is at the start of the song. Click, then drag up/down.

You can also select a "base point" with a left-click in the arrangement, and use +/- for zooming.

There's a "show fades" option if you right click a clip. It's also in the Create drop-down menu (Ctrl+Alt+F).

Awesome! Thanks for the help.
It's so unique, I have a lot of other habits to get over.

EDIT:
The Zoom tool doesn't seem to go in as far as I would like (as in, enough to make the wavform a single line) it seems to be locked to some kind of maxiumum zoom. Is there a way to turn this off?

grayrobot fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Aug 17, 2011

Vector 7
Sep 29, 2010

grayrobot posted:

You need to get a book. Something like Live 8 Power. Use it as an intro to the manual.

grayrobot
Jul 20, 2002

colour malfunction

Vector 7 posted:

You need to get a book. Something like Live 8 Power. Use it as an intro to the manual.

I have that book. It's annoying because the whole thing reads like an advertisement to buy live, when really I just need it to explain this does X because of Y. It's not a terrible book by any stretch but the author seems really intent to explain why Live is great and it makes it hard to cruise a section and find relevant information when it's 2 am and I am already flummoxed as to why I can't do something, particularly when Live has it's own terminology. Maybe his target audience is people who don't own it yet such as students.

It's all good - 90% of the concepts I get quickly, I need a book that translates traditional DAW practices to "this is how you do X in live" if that makes any sense.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

grayrobot posted:

EDIT:
The Zoom tool doesn't seem to go in as far as I would like (as in, enough to make the wavform a single line) it seems to be locked to some kind of maxiumum zoom. Is there a way to turn this off?
I'm not sure what you mean? The + and - keys let you zoom in until the waveform is a blip on the screen.

Vector 7
Sep 29, 2010

grayrobot posted:

I have that book. It's annoying because the whole thing reads like an advertisement to buy live, when really I just need it to explain this does X because of Y. It's not a terrible book by any stretch but the author seems really intent to explain why Live is great and it makes it hard to cruise a section and find relevant information when it's 2 am and I am already flummoxed as to why I can't do something, particularly when Live has it's own terminology. Maybe his target audience is people who don't own it yet such as students.

It's all good - 90% of the concepts I get quickly, I need a book that translates traditional DAW practices to "this is how you do X in live" if that makes any sense.
The manual. You can search the manual.

Trotskard
Feb 16, 2011

Vector 7 posted:

I don't use any kind of glitchy VST for my edits, so I don't know anything about that, but I can say that there really isn't any VST I'm aware of that does what Massive does in the way that Massive does it. I know the Virus does wavetables, but it's way more expensive and doesn't have the same kind of implementation. There's a module for Eurorack called the Piston Honda that does wavetables (I have one, it's sick as hell), but you'd have to do the whole modular thing if you want to go that route. Seeing as how you're just starting out, I don't recommend it. There's the Waldorf wavetable synth, and the Nord one, but, again, those are more expensive then Massive.

There's also the alternative of stacking a few Simpler instances in an instrument rack, and picking the samples yourself. Might be a bit of a pain though.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Thoogsby posted:

It's not nearly as powerful as what you're looking for, but Alphakanal's Automat is the bee's knees when it comes to free synth VSTs for Macs.

glorp
Dec 12, 2004

by T. Butt

NonzeroCircle posted:

Yeah dude, just type in the BPM you want in the 'scene launch' track down the right hand side of the screen. So, for scene 1 type in '125 BPM' (or whatever), scene 2 '090 BPM' etc. This also works with time signatures (3/4, 7/15 etc).

Thanks! So this should effectively change the master bpm whenever this particular scene comes on, right? Or does it just change the bpms of whatever is in the scene?

Vector 7
Sep 29, 2010

glorp posted:

Thanks! So this should effectively change the master bpm whenever this particular scene comes on, right? Or does it just change the bpms of whatever is in the scene?
It will change the master bpm.

glorp
Dec 12, 2004

by T. Butt

Vector 7 posted:

It will change the master bpm.

Ah! I realized what my problem was! I'm using Maschine as a controller with multiple scenes that contain tracks with different tempos... hmmm.... this needs some kind of solving... maybe i need a separate midi controller that i can map the tempo switch buttons onto?

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

glorp posted:

Ah! I realized what my problem was! I'm using Maschine as a controller with multiple scenes that contain tracks with different tempos... hmmm.... this needs some kind of solving... maybe i need a separate midi controller that i can map the tempo switch buttons onto?

If you are using it to launch Live's scenes (Ie like a 4x4 gridded Launchpad or APC) then what I said should work. If you are just using Live as a host and doing the bulk of the work with Maschine, and also storing your scenes/loops in Maschine rather than in Live's tracks then it won't.

Without wanting to be rude, I'd suggest you work through Live's lessons and have a read of the manuals for both Live and Maschine, if nothing else to make sure you are using terms like 'scenes' correctly- it'll help us to help you! Posting a screenshot of your Live set with an explanation of what's doing what and what you want to end up with would be mega useful.

Rakshas
Jun 7, 2003
Oompa Loompa Extraordinarie
I'm new to live and I'm trying to figure out how to keep a midi note alive. Firstly, I need a note to keep ringing after I press and release a key on my keyboard. It's an arpeggiated and chorded thingy, so I'd like to it go on till I press another key. At this point, the first note should stop and the second should start playing.

For the life of me I can't figure out how to do it. Under midi effects there's a note length utility but that doesn't seem like it works.

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

Rakshas posted:

I'm new to live and I'm trying to figure out how to keep a midi note alive. Firstly, I need a note to keep ringing after I press and release a key on my keyboard. It's an arpeggiated and chorded thingy, so I'd like to it go on till I press another key. At this point, the first note should stop and the second should start playing.

For the life of me I can't figure out how to do it. Under midi effects there's a note length utility but that doesn't seem like it works.
Use the Note Length MIDI plug. Set "Length" to 60s.
Whatever instrument plug you're using, make sure it's set to monophonic instead of polyphonic.

There are also other ways to do this depending on what, specifically, you are trying to do. :)

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Sounds like he's after a kinda latch effect- hit a key once, it keeps playing the arpeggio until the next one is hit and it changes it's pitch, so the MIDI note length tool is ideal. Or just set your sustain and release sliders on the volume envelope of whatever device to full, does the same job.

drewmoney
Mar 11, 2004
For some reason in Live 8.2.2 if I use any of the built in synth strings sounds they don't play after I close ableton and open it again. If I add the sound, it works fine for the whole session, but next time I load it... No sound just from that instrument, everything else is fine. If I then manually add the instrument, it's fine again. Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

Try to collect all and save maybe? Sounds like an issue with the samples and their paths.