Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crepuscule Adepte
Feb 21, 2008

Why is my hair purple? It's from the blood of everyone that lost a bet against me.
C2, R2, T4

Other people have explained the reasoning better than me. I was originally on C1, but people have convinced me: C2 is the way to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Political Vote 5 (Clovis Lestrade):
C2) Marry Jenna Clay on Tharkad.

While it may look a bit strange for Clovis to change his mind like that, I'm pretty sure that Lestrade might be used to his son's seeming randomness by now, and I'm pretty sure Jenna Clay would be in a better position with the loyal elite Lyran Home Guard units on Tharkad rather than in the midst of Aldo's troops on Summer. While it might push the wedding up a bit, she's likely to be safer in Tharkad for the reasons I mentioned above.

Political Vote 5 (Red Corsair):
R3) Assist the Free Worlders in repelling the fake Red Corsair pirates.

Stopping a probable ROM op to seize the Castle Brian is likely to do quite a bit of good here. Even if I don't care for working with the FWL, anything that lets Melissa Steiner, Morgan Kell, and whoever else stay alive for longer gets my vote. Just sounds like good strategy there. Besides, they'll likely have a better shot at looking for the Castle Brian to ride back to the Lyrans with if they don't have FWL troops on their backs constantly.

Political Vote 5 (Takashi Kurita):
T4) Enter negotiations with Hanse Davion to free up troops to serve on the Clan front, and request mercenary support in exchange for border concessions.

Anything that pisses off Samsonov this much must be good. While negotiating with Hanse Davion will likely not be taken very kindly by most, if not all, of the hardliners on Luthien, I say screw them. The Combine needs all the troops they can get to defend themselves against the Clans, and if they can get some mercs out of it, then all the better for them. Pissing of Samsonov is a bonus. Letting the Yakuza join as Mechwarriors might be cool as well, but if I can only make one choice, I'll stick with that one.

A lot of stuff going on in that Political Update. It's too bad we likely won't see the results of the votes story-wise for a while since we're going to be going into the next Theater Vote right after. Though I guess PTN did say something about a time skip coming up next, so maybe we will see the results of this vote very soon.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Aug 18, 2011

JoaoLangston
Jul 24, 2006
C1) Marry Jenna Clay on Summer.
T5) Allow the Yakuza to serve as ‘Mechwarriors, create the Ghost Legions

Aesirstorm
Sep 16, 2002

NOT GAY
Dinosaur Gum
C2
R3
T5

Telamon
Apr 8, 2005

Father of Ajax!
C2) Marry Jenna Clay on Tharkad
R3) Assist the Free Worlders in repelling the fake Red Corsair pirates
T5) Allow the Yakuza to serve as ‘Mechwarriors, create the Ghost Legions

Not knowing all the fluff is killing me but it won't stop me geeking out on these votes, no sir.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I'm not worried about Clovis and Jenna and their contingent getting TO Summer, but I am extremely worried about them getting back. Moreover, he could argue the 1st Royal Guard's place is with the Archon, so when they send THEIR best (the Home Guard) with the Royal Couple to protect them, oh my what's this, a DropShip accident kills all of them?

Better to stay on Tharkad, where you have the protection of two regiments of Royal Guard and popular opinion, than on Summer, where the two of them can count on neither.

Katrina Steiner deposed Alessandro Steiner with a little under-the-table help from the Free Worlds League and a regiment personally loyal to her. Could be Melissa could get a hand, too.

T4) Enter negotiations with Hanse Davion to free up troops to serve on the Clan front, and request mercenary support in exchange for border concessions.
I'm just arguing for this one because forming Yakuza regiments was done in canon.

Also, are we going to see more of Tor Miraborg?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

C1, R3, T4

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Aldo owns Summer. Everyone on the planet works for him or is afraid of him. Meanwhile, on Tharkad there's a ton of people still loyal to House Steiner and Melissa in particular. Don't go into the lion's den if you have other options, but not getting married is just as bad. Ergo, (C2) Marry Jenna on Tharkad.

Escape only gets you back to where you were before the whole thing started. Escaping by any means necessary is easier, escaping without a body trail is nicer, but either way you're no better off. Helping the FWL stop ROM might get you on their side, but I'm not sure you're going to win much support back in the Commonwealth by getting support from an ancient enemy, even if it ain't the scary ancient enemy. And anyway, going after the Castle Brian might lead to a cool three way fight, Marik v ROM v Melissa and Company. (R4) gently caress it, let’s find that Castle Brian already.

House Kurita's question is a tough one. The straight up negotiation's out. Negotiate for the mercs might work, but it's a short term solution. I was leaning toward throw everything at the Clans, but it occurred to me that sending Kurita regiments against Clan clusters is suicide...the Kuritians won't take advantage of the Clanners' honor rules because they're too wrapped up in their own honor code! Therefore, I'm going to back the long term solution. Get a new bunch of soldiers for House Kurita who won't fight fair and will take advantage of every loophole in the Clan book. You need criminals and scum. You need to (T5) Allow the Yakuza to serve as ‘Mechwarriors, create the Ghost Legions.

Chicken Slayer
Nov 7, 2009

Defiance Industries posted:

I'm not worried about Clovis and Jenna and their contingent getting TO Summer, but I am extremely worried about them getting back. Moreover, he could argue the 1st Royal Guard's place is with the Archon, so when they send THEIR best (the Home Guard) with the Royal Couple to protect them, oh my what's this, a DropShip accident kills all of them?

Better to stay on Tharkad, where you have the protection of two regiments of Royal Guard and popular opinion, than on Summer, where the two of them can count on neither.

Actually, this is a good point. I forgot about the amount of effort that Aldo went to to discredit the Royal Guard. What better way to get rid of most of them than to have the majority of them stay behind on Tharkhad (and be slowly but surely replaced with toads). Then Aldo can try whatever the hell he wants.

That whole Aldo owns Summer things is icing on the cake. I'm changing my vote.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
If Aldo Lestrade wants you on Summer, you loving get married on Tharkad. The penetration of Heimdall opsec makes me paranoid about how much the Duke knows.

R4) gently caress it, let’s find that Castle Brian already.
While the Free Worlds League and Comstar duke it out, why not steal a bunch of Lostech and ride off into the sunset all :smug:

The Clans are ripping the poo poo out of your frontier, and you need to stem the tide somehow. Letting criminal scum defend the nation because your troops can't is cowardice! Plus, Yakuza in Mechs was done in canon and I want to see Theodore and Hanse become best buds eventually.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Chicken Slayer posted:

Actually, this is a good point. I forgot about the amount of effort that Aldo went to to discredit the Royal Guard. What better way to get rid of most of them than to have the majority of them stay behind on Tharkhad (and be slowly but surely replaced with toads). Then Aldo can try whatever the hell he wants.

That whole Aldo owns Summer things is icing on the cake. I'm changing my vote.

He doesn't even need to leave them on Tharkad. They can come to Summer, even. If he's willing to sacrifice the JumpShip they and their Mechs are on, he can just rig it to misjump and nobody will think twice about it. I mean, they're SO RARE there's no way he'd arrange an accident to take out Melissa's most loyal supporters.

Chicken Slayer
Nov 7, 2009
I suspect that Aldo wants to see his son married to the Archon of the Lyran Commonwealth.

After that though...

Hell, doesn't even have to be the Jumpship malfunctioning. Dropship crash is more likely and doesn't waste one of the most priceless resources in the realm (admittedly Dropships are also rare and/or priceless, but eh).

Though to be quite honest, there are tonnes of ways that Aldo can arrange an accident to happen to Melissa Steiner and her Royal Guard. Lead poisoning is a fairly serious problem in these parts I hear.

Best not to make it easier for him to pull off whatever bullshit he's planning. To Tharkhad.

SilentW
Apr 3, 2009

my It dept hgere is fucking clwonshoes, and as someone hwo used to do IT for 9 years it pains me to see them fbe so terriuble

quote:

If Aldo Lestrade wants you on Summer, you loving get married on Tharkad.
Yup.

Since Grayson Death Caryle is... uh... dead, we need someone else to kickstart the tech dispora.

T5) Allow the Yakuza to serve as ‘Mechwarriors, create the Ghost Legions.
Seriously, we need to get this timeline a LITTLE back on track, poo poo's getting out of control. Besides, this will let the Combine exploit one of the best military forces they've been forced to ignore by tradition. New blood in the military is good blood in the military, especially when the Clans are going to require some unconventional tactics to defeat. Who better than the Yakuza, who truly understand the meaning of "you shall not fail"?

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

quote:

T5) Start up them Ghost Legions!

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Chicken Slayer posted:

I suspect that Aldo wants to see his son married to the Archon of the Lyran Commonwealth.

After that though...

Hell, doesn't even have to be the Jumpship malfunctioning. Dropship crash is more likely and doesn't waste one of the most priceless resources in the realm (admittedly Dropships are also rare and/or priceless, but eh).

Though to be quite honest, there are tonnes of ways that Aldo can arrange an accident to happen to Melissa Steiner and her Royal Guard. Lead poisoning is a fairly serious problem in these parts I hear.

Best not to make it easier for him to pull off whatever bullshit he's planning. To Tharkhad.

DropShips are somewhat less rare, but neither them or JumpShips are COMPLETELY irreplaceable. A Monolith-class JumpShip, I think, is irreplaceable, but that's kind of the one thing nobody can build.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I'm changing my C1 vote to C2. Tharkad is the place to be.

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007
c2, r3, t4

short, sweet and :effort:

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Yeah, I would agitate for the Tharkad option over Summer - more attractive name but leaving Tharkad is clearly extremely dangerous in the current political climate.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
So did goons play the Red Corsairs vs Free Worlders on megamek or what? I seem to recall something being played somewhere.

We lost? Anyone want to give me a recap on what happened?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Yeah, I would agitate for the Tharkad option over Summer - more attractive name but leaving Tharkad is clearly extremely dangerous in the current political climate.

In all honesty, that's kinda why I voted for Summer - I want to see what will happen. I suspect PTN has a neat story up his sleeve.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Affi posted:

So did goons play the Red Corsairs vs Free Worlders on megamek or what? I seem to recall something being played somewhere.

We lost? Anyone want to give me a recap on what happened?

No, we won. The Clanners gave up.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Sorry i'm going to rephrase my question.

Affi posted:

So did goons play the Red Corsairs vs Free Worlders on megamek or what? I seem to recall something being played somewhere, did we lose? Anyone want to give me a recap on what happened?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

C3, R3, T1

We ain't getting noone married no-how!

And we aren't trusting those Fed bastards further than a Kurita mech can throw them.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Aug 18, 2011

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
It may piss off Aldo, but it's safer and not swarmed over by Aldo's agents and loyalists, presumably.

Hell yeah, more red corsair stuff is awesome, and I'm curious who these fake pirates turn out to be. We can go kick over a Castle Brian later.

Woop woop, 80's space ghost ninjas... samurai things.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

My votes posted:

C1) Marry Jenna Clay on Summer.

God I hope Hanse goes for the throat, that's the kind of mid-invasion clusterfuck I want to see. :allears:

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008

quote:

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

SilentW posted:

Seriously, we need to get this timeline a LITTLE back on track, poo poo's getting out of control.

Look at the thread title. Does it say "Let's re-enact IS history"? No, it says "Let's rewrite IS history". Choosing canon decisions is boring and safe.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Keru posted:

Hell yeah, more red corsair stuff is awesome, and I'm curious who these fake pirates turn out to be. We can go kick over a Castle Brian later.

I think its supposed to be Comstar come to clean up the Helm-core.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Defiance Industries posted:

This is sound logic - also changing my vote to C2.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
My reading of what PTN wrote is that Clovis and Jenna are planning to reveal that Jenna is a double once they're married. Why would the Home Guard get into a street fight with the forces of Aldo Lestrade over Melissa Steiner's double?

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Which of these options has the most potential for violent fiery death?

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.

As Defiance Industries said, this is the only place where they have a chance of meeting up with Home Guard royalist troops to defend them.

R2) Attempt to escape without harming the Free Worlders.

She can't afford to be seen as a new player in Free World politics. With their fractious system Melissa could easily end up making a lot of enemies by helping Marik here.

Elevating the dregs of society is a time honored method of creating fanatically loyal and dedicated soldiers. Give them this chance to improve their lot, and they'll see Takashi as their savior. While this brings in more total pilots to fight the clans, it also gives Takashi a chance to replace the GDL, protecting his rule from upstarts who might try to bribe mercenary support.

Off topic a bit, I have to say the political choices are the most interesting bit of this thread for me. You're doing an excellent job at building intrigues PN.

Edit: Redundancy.

Tran fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Aug 18, 2011

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I'm going to change my Clovis vote to C2 as well since I didn't realize the implications at first.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
I'll change my vote from C1 to C2 as well.

Gay Abortions
Dec 12, 2007

C2 has had enough argument in its favor to be my choice now. Plus Clovis can play at being MORE petulant by changing his plans again.

R3 mostly because it sounds like the plot of a cheesy action movie.

T5 for the same reason, plus yakuza with big guns and a cause is always a good thing :ghost:

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Yeah, that looks about right.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"
Why so much love for putting gangsters in 'mechs?

Yes, this was done in canon. Yes, it worked in canon, but the Ghost Legions had also had fights under their belt and experience in the cockpit by the time of the Clan invasion.

This decision, in this timeline, would be like in WWII if Patton had decided to go to all the prisons in America, and offer all the wise guys a pardon if they agree to become fighter pilots.

You're talking about putting precious 'Mechs; Tech 1 'mechs no less, in the hands of people who have no experience using them and sending them up against Clanners.

It's suicidal for them. Even if they are willing to be dishonorable to win, it won't matter how honorable or dishonorable they are, they just won't have the skill necessary to do so.

Like it or not, the Dragon needs troops now; experienced troops, now, already-equipped troops, now. They need to pull off the forces from the contested worlds and their FedSuns border, and as they need all the troops they can get, they need to negotiate with Hanse to hire his mercenaries.

Throwing a bunch of Yakuza in 'mechs will get you a bunch of very expensive cannon fodder and not much more. That would be a great idea if you had nigh-unlimited 'mechs, far more than you had pilots, but the fact is you don't. MechWarriors have always been in far more plentiful supply than BattleMechs, so recruiting Yakuza won't do any good. Hell, every Yakuza you want to put in a 'mech means that you're trying to take some Samurai's rear end out of a 'mech. Chances are he'll either commit seppuku at having been seen as so useless to his lord that his 'mech was given to a mobster, or even outright revolt.

In the canon timelines, the Ghost Regiments worked because they had 17 years of experience and development under their belts, but you're facing a Clan invasion now. You just can't make the mobsters into good enough MechWarriors in time.

The Dragon needs to dine on some crow and negotiate with Hanse to get those mercs. It's the only way they're going to make it out of this one; mercs, mercs, and more mercs, and the goodwill of their fellow Spheroids.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Joining in.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Why so much love for putting gangsters in 'mechs?

Yes, this was done in canon. Yes, it worked in canon, but the Ghost Legions had also had fights under their belt and experience in the cockpit by the time of the Clan invasion.

This decision, in this timeline, would be like in WWII if Patton had decided to go to all the prisons in America, and offer all the wise guys a pardon if they agree to become fighter pilots.

You're talking about putting precious 'Mechs; Tech 1 'mechs no less, in the hands of people who have no experience using them and sending them up against Clanners.

It's suicidal for them. Even if they are willing to be dishonorable to win, it won't matter how honorable or dishonorable they are, they just won't have the skill necessary to do so.

Like it or not, the Dragon needs troops now; experienced troops, now, already-equipped troops, now. They need to pull off the forces from the contested worlds and their FedSuns border, and as they need all the troops they can get, they need to negotiate with Hanse to hire his mercenaries.

Throwing a bunch of Yakuza in 'mechs will get you a bunch of very expensive cannon fodder and not much more. That would be a great idea if you had nigh-unlimited 'mechs, far more than you had pilots, but the fact is you don't. MechWarriors have always been in far more plentiful supply than BattleMechs, so recruiting Yakuza won't do any good. Hell, every Yakuza you want to put in a 'mech means that you're trying to take some Samurai's rear end out of a 'mech. Chances are he'll either commit seppuku at having been seen as so useless to his lord that his 'mech was given to a mobster, or even outright revolt.

In the canon timelines, the Ghost Regiments worked because they had 17 years of experience and development under their belts, but you're facing a Clan invasion now. You just can't make the mobsters into good enough MechWarriors in time.

The Dragon needs to dine on some crow and negotiate with Hanse to get those mercs. It's the only way they're going to make it out of this one; mercs, mercs, and more mercs, and the goodwill of their fellow Spheroids.

You try to negotiate from a position of weakness, with from what I gather is one of the shrewdest men in this series, and you're going to end up with nothing. The yakuza buy time, and any lance that sees combat and survives against this foe will very quickly gain a reputation as seasoned veterans. The options for Kurita all suck. It's just a matter of picking the one that gives the best chance of remaining a serious nation at the end of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
code:
C1: 19
C2: 31
C3: 2
code:
R1: 0
R2: 7
R3: 31
R4: 14
code:
T1: 1
T2: 1
T3: 3
T4: 20
T5: 30
A few people voted for two different options in the Takashi vote before PTN explained why that wasn't possible. For those who didn't put a top choice, I counted both votes.

KnoxZone fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Aug 18, 2011

• Locked thread