Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radd McCool
Dec 3, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

abagofcheetos posted:

Bye bye 11k, we hardly knew ye.
I knew I should have picked up a DOW 10,000 hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
Thanks market for waiting until three days after I jumped back in to crash. :/

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

One thing to remember is OEX tomorrow. This poo poo is bananas!

Nifty
Aug 31, 2004

Jack posted:

CISG, EJ, CYD.
Replacing them with shorts of REITs SPG and BXP though.

What sort of lists do you peruse to find stocks like this?

Jack
Jan 19, 2001
Schwab has a built in screener in the trading platform, but you could probably get away with just yahoo finance / finviz.

There's a few websites out there that deal specifically with Chinese stocks (chinabizfocus, cnanalyst) where you can find lists and then just do DD from there.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Jack posted:

Man I'm frothing at the mouth buying up all these cheap chinese stocks that trade at 0.x-1x sales and yield more than 30 yr bonds here with all the profits from shorting those 10xer stocks. It's like buying options on the RMB/USD that actually gain theta. CISG, EJ, CYD.

Um, I hope you've been paying attention to all the completely fraudulent Chinese ADRs that have been dropping like flies lately. It appears even banks are in on it and no one knows how widespread it is, theres a reason they are trading like that.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

FAZ trade from this morning is now up 6.02%, which is pretty good considering it was a (effectively) riskless trade.

No way I'm holding it overnight though. I'll probably just put in a limit sell at 3:58pm a little under the bid to make sure it gets filled.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Radd McCool posted:

I knew I should have picked up a DOW 10,000 hat.

My dow 10,000 hat options are going up like crazy!

Tuff Scrote
Apr 23, 2004
Good day to buy? or is the bottom yet to be reached?

Jabbu
Aug 1, 2005

GODWIN'S LAW? WHAT THE FUCK IS GODWIN'S LAW YOU FUCKING CRYPTO-NAZI? WHY DON'T YOU STOP RAPING CHILDREN FOR FIVE MINUTES, PUT DOWN THAT GLASS OF PUPPY BLOOD AND JUST ADMIT THAT YOU'RE A FUCKING MONSTER

Tuff Ghost posted:

Man, if only I knew that, I'd be a billionaire. Personally, I'm still waiting a little bit longer, but I'm in the "opportunistic buying" mode right now in the mean time.

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

I'm cranky most of the time.
Put on my first trade since this debacle started: sold TLT Sep 110 puts against long the Oct 110 puts. The IV discount versus actual volatility has me puzzled so being long Vega could be a mistake, but think it'll probably move sideways for a bit while the equity markets continues their seizures.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Stupid rally destroyed my FAZ trade. Still cleared 5% though. Tomorrow brings another opportunity.

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

Tuff Ghost posted:

tested 1200 yesterday and failed, the drop today is not that surprising, was an outside day on ndx as well. If I had to bet i'd say its going to touch 1120/1100 before 1200, but I wouldnt even think of going long till it'd gotten above and passed a retest of 1200. If you're super ballsy put a buy limit at 1105 looking for 1200

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"
Well, I'm finally beating the market year to date. I hate winning by default, though.

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.
HP looks like more of a laughing stock than MSFT. Their tablet got shuddered in 10 days.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Foma posted:

HP looks like more of a laughing stock than MSFT. Their tablet got shuddered in 10 days.

I would have packaged and sold the Palm business long ago. Now they are going to get poo poo for it, unless Google decides they really need those patents too.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
They've been on an acquisition binge though. They just bought EDS a bit ago doubling their services revenue. Not sure how that compares to loving up the Palm business, but it's big enough to figure in.

Interestingly, Marc Faber was on yahoo today saying gold in safe deposit boxes is not a bad idea.

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

I'm cranky most of the time.
Speaking of calendar spreads, the prices on the ATM Sep/Oct SPY spreads are ridiculous right now. Getting short the you can have 18 points of wiggle-room, while being long theta and vega :woop:

ghadeed
Aug 3, 2006

What do you all think about the run up in precious metals? Is it too late to get into gold and silver or is there still room to move up?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
With ThinkOrSwim finally completing its merger with TDAmeritrade, I'm thinking about moving my money again. Anyone have a discount brokerage they really like?

Dr. Gaius Baltar
Mar 12, 2008

I've been framed!
I'm looking around for a new broker. I was using Zecco, but they screwed up a cash transfer request*, and now I don't want to do business with them anymore. I like mutual funds, and I'm looking for a broker that has low fees for buying and selling them (Zecco's were $10 to buy or sell), they must support DRIP (that's automatic dividend and capital gains reinvestment without additional fees), and, of course, they must have a large selection of mutual funds (Sharebuilder, for instance, has only a limited selection of mutual funds).

I tried Optionshouse, only to find that 80% of the mutual funds I wanted to buy "cannot be traded through the platform". I'll call them tomorrow to find out what that means, but I'm guessing it means that either I can place an order but it'll have to be over the phone, which means much higher fees, or that I just flat out can't buy those funds through them.

Would any of you handsome fellows know of a broker that meets my needs?

Of the brokers listed in the OP:

E-Trade: Mutual Funds not eligible for DRIP
TD Ameritrade: $50 commission to buy or sell a mutual fund
Zecco: Horrible cash transfer mishap
Option House: 80% of the mutual funds that I like "cannot be traded through the platform."
Scottrade: No DRIP
Think or Swim: is TD Ameritrade
Fidelity: $75 commission to buy or sell a mutual fund
Sharebuilder: Limited selection of mutual funds

*I put in an ACH request, got a message that the ACH failed and was cancelled, waited till the next day, put in the ACH request again which did go through, and then the next week, lo and behold, turns out their message that the first ACH request failed and was cancelled was incorrect, because both transactions posted to my bank account, leaving me overdrawn and requiring a personal visit to the local bank branch manager to deny the transaction, and further delays in getting the Zecco balance right.

Dr. Gaius Baltar fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Aug 21, 2011

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

Dr. Gaius Baltar posted:

Would any of you handsome fellows know of such a broker?

Of the brokers listed in the OP:

TD Ameritrade: $50 commission to buy or sell a mutual fund

As a correction TDA offers a ton of mutual funds with no commission or transaction fees (NTF). Here's a sample list, though I don't know if every fund listed is NTF. The few I clicked on at random were NTF:

http://research.tdameritrade.com/public/mutualfunds/fundfamilies/fundfamilies.asp?tab=ntfs

You may want to contact TDA and see if they offer some type of DRIP with their funds. I know TDA offers DRIPS with regular equities, but not sure on the mutual funds.

Dr. Gaius Baltar
Mar 12, 2008

I've been framed!

nnnotime posted:

As a correction TDA offers a ton of mutual funds with no commission or transaction fees (NTF). Here's a sample list, though I don't know if every fund listed is NTF. The few I clicked on at random were NTF:

http://research.tdameritrade.com/public/mutualfunds/fundfamilies/fundfamilies.asp?tab=ntfs

You may want to contact TDA and see if they offer some type of DRIP with their funds. I know TDA offers DRIPS with regular equities, but not sure on the mutual funds.

Of 9 mutual funds that I like:
6 of them TDA charges a $49.99 fee for
1 of them TDA doesn't offer at all
2 of them have no fees if held for 180+ days, otherwise $49.99 fee

Jul 3, 2004

careful!

Dr. Gaius Baltar posted:

Of 9 mutual funds that I like:
6 of them TDA charges a $49.99 fee for
1 of them TDA doesn't offer at all
2 of them have no fees if held for 180+ days, otherwise $49.99 fee

So we are supposed to guess what your 9 mutual funds are and pick the best broker for your needs?

Dr. Gaius Baltar
Mar 12, 2008

I've been framed!

80k posted:

So we are supposed to guess what your 9 mutual funds are and pick the best broker for your needs?

No, not at all. I didn't realize that specifying what mutual funds I like would be helpful, sorry for not mentioning that.

BRUFX (Flexible Portfolio)
YACKX (Large-Cap Core)
HSCSX (US Small Cap Value)
DFEPX (Emerging Markets Value - newly-created investor-class version of DFEVX, which is for millionaires and institutions only)
OAKEX (International Small Cap Value)

TGLMX (US Mortgage Fund)
TGCFX (Intermediate Investment Grade Debt Fund)
PRFIX (Corporate Debt Funds A Rated)
VFIIX (GNMA Fund)
PGVZX (General US Government Fund)
TGEIX (Emerging Market Debt Fund)

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.
Why Mutual funds over ETFs?

Dr. Gaius Baltar
Mar 12, 2008

I've been framed!

Foma posted:

Why Mutual funds over ETFs?

It's not that I think mutual funds are awesome to the max and ETFs are for bozos or anything, it's just that the mutual funds that I have selected outperform their ETF equivalents, to the best of my knowledge (if I'm wrong, then I would appreciate being corrected).

For instance, the best equivalent I can find for DFEVX (Emerging Markets Value) is Vanguard's VWO ETF (Emerging Markets). And DFEVX consistently outperforms VWO, even when you take into consideration VWO's lower expenses. If DFEVX had an ETF equivalent that matched its performance, then I would jump on it.

Jul 3, 2004

careful!

Dr. Gaius Baltar posted:

No, not at all. I didn't realize that specifying what mutual funds I like would be helpful, sorry for not mentioning that.

BRUFX (Flexible Portfolio)
YACKX (Large-Cap Core)
HSCSX (US Small Cap Value)
DFEPX (Emerging Markets Value - newly-created investor-class version of DFEVX, which is for millionaires and institutions only)
OAKEX (International Small Cap Value)

TGLMX (US Mortgage Fund)
TGCFX (Intermediate Investment Grade Debt Fund)
PRFIX (Corporate Debt Funds A Rated)
VFIIX (GNMA Fund)
PGVZX (General US Government Fund)
TGEIX (Emerging Market Debt Fund)

I am pretty sure DFEPX is available only through advisors and some employer plans.

Check Wellstrade if you qualify for free trades (need $25k or so?). They have a decent mutual fund lineup.

If you are dead set on those funds, it will be impossible to find one broker to meet your needs and get transaction-free trades unless you qualify for premium services. (Flagship at Vanguard provides you with fabulous choices, at free or highly discounted rates, but you need $1M in assets to qualify). And so, the best course of action is to NOT be deadset on those funds and find alternative funds or ETF's to meet your needs. Ideally you avoid mutual funds entirely and just use ETF's in which case you can easily find a broker with free or cheap ETF trades and forget all about mutual fund availability and high transaction costs.

Jul 3, 2004

careful!

Dr. Gaius Baltar posted:

It's not that I think mutual funds are awesome to the max and ETFs are for bozos or anything, it's just that the mutual funds that I have selected outperform their ETF equivalents, to the best of my knowledge (if I'm wrong, then I would appreciate being corrected).

For instance, the best equivalent I can find for DFEVX (Emerging Markets Value) is Vanguard's VWO ETF (Emerging Markets). And DFEVX consistently outperforms VWO, even when you take into consideration VWO's lower expenses. If DFEVX had an ETF equivalent that matched its performance, then I would jump on it.

The entire investment world is looking for ETF equivalents of DFA funds since DFA funds are unavailable to most people (unless through an advisor or some employer or 529 plans).

It is ok. You can live without DFA. Just use VWO and get access to the value premium with other asset classes (like broad international value or us small value which have many available vehicles). A portfolio can be designed many different ways.

Dr. Gaius Baltar
Mar 12, 2008

I've been framed!

80k posted:

I am pretty sure DFEPX is available only through advisors and some employer plans.

Check Wellstrade if you qualify for free trades (need $25k or so?). They have a decent mutual fund lineup.

If you are dead set on those funds, it will be impossible to find one broker to meet your needs and get transaction-free trades unless you qualify for premium services. (Flagship at Vanguard provides you with fabulous choices, at free or highly discounted rates, but you need $1M in assets to qualify). And so, the best course of action is to NOT be deadset on those funds and find alternative funds or ETF's to meet your needs. Ideally you avoid mutual funds entirely and just use ETF's in which case you can easily find a broker with free or cheap ETF trades and forget all about mutual fund availability and high transaction costs.

The entire investment world is looking for ETF equivalents of DFA funds since DFA funds are unavailable to most people (unless through an advisor or some employer or 529 plans).

It is ok. You can live without DFA. Just use VWO and get access to the value premium with other asset classes (like broad international value or us small value which have many available vehicles). A portfolio can be designed many different ways.

Isn't DFEPX available at Zecco? I'll have to give them a call to check. I hope they wouldn't tease people by showing it on their site and then not selling it to people. Yeah, I may have to use VWO instead.

I didn't realize that it was so difficult to find a single broker that carries all of those mutual funds. I mistakenly thought that pretty much all brokers had access to the same mutual funds (with the exception of a few who might for some reason have a very limited selection). Knowing that mutual fund availability is an issue, perhaps I should re-evaluate my decision to leave Zecco, and instead learn to live with (and compensate for) their horrid fund transfer issues. I'd like to switch to ETFs, because they do have much lower expenses and commissions and they're more widely available, and everybody keeps saying that they're the hottest new thing in town since toilet paper, but at least in my case, they don't seem to be up to the level of returns that the mutual funds have been getting, and the 303rd rule of acquisition is "When in doubt, always take the road that leads to higher profits."

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on some Nvidia and AMD stock this morning. I've got $1000 split halfway between the two companies.

I'm basing this decision on the prediction that both companies will have a strong 3rd and 4th quarter, Nvidia in particular. I'm thinking that this holiday season will be strong for Nvidia since people generally invest cash into new computers during the holiday season. Although I haven't heard of any impending price drops in their midrange cards, Nvidia seems to do a price cut every 4-5 months.

I realize that AMD is a more of a speculative stock to invest in, however I think that their new APU technology is going to take hold primarily in the laptop market. I'm rather skeptical of how the GPU inside a CPU will fare in a desktop market, however AMD's competitiveness with Nvidia on dedicated video cards makes it a bit easier to justify this investment.

Hopefully both stocks will do well this holiday and I will have a decent profit or at the worst, break even at the end of Q4.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Here is how AMD works. Buy at $6.x, sell at $8.x. Rinse, lather, repeat.

ghadeed
Aug 3, 2006

Is BAC going to exist in the next couple months?

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
Yes.

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
What do you all know/think about "low-cost index funds". What should I look for in deciding what index fund I want to invest in, besides obviously what type of stocks they are indexing in their portfolio? Which brings me to the question on what the difference between an ETF and an index fund since both track a range of stocks?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
drat, gold needs to slow the gently caress down. I've been enjoying the nice steady rise since late 2009, confident in the future price increases, never fearing a bubble popping but ever since July... I'm thinking it's about time to take the money and run. >26% in under 2 months is too much.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!

Saint Fu posted:

drat, gold needs to slow the gently caress down. I've been enjoying the nice steady rise since late 2009, confident in the future price increases, never fearing a bubble popping but ever since July... I'm thinking it's about time to take the money and run. >26% in under 2 months is too much.

DGZ is under $11. I've lost my rear end so hard on that one in the last year.

LukeDuff
Aug 28, 2003

Please inspect our fine products.

Saint Fu posted:

Yeah, the party was more fun when it was just us contrarians and crazy Tea Party people buying. Now it's not cool anymore. I've been steadily buying since 2005 and much prefer steady gains over a crazy run up. Checking the spot price at Kitco every 10 minutes in case there's a dramatic pull back is getting to be a drag.

My current not-particularly-well-thought-out idea is that it'll start coming back down when the rebels kill Gadhafi.

Don Homhoos
Mar 26, 2011

Hamhuis. It is pronounced "Ham-Wee".

ghadeed posted:

What do you all think about the run up in precious metals? Is it too late to get into gold and silver or is there still room to move up?

I think gold has a target, much like the NASDAQ did of 5,000. I think its gunning for $2,000/oz or so (since we all know that people love round numbers), maybe the inflation adjusted high of around $2,200. But once it hits its target its going to correct, pretty steeply perhaps (as the saying goes, excesses in one direction lead to excesses in the other). But unless there is a fundamental change in the global economy, I don't see it dropping below 1,400-1,500.

In my opinion, you could probably buy in here for a quick trade, but I'd be cautious as it approaches $2,000 and the all time high. If it falls back to 1,400 an ounce or lower, it might be time to back up the dump truck unless the US and major European economies somehow get everything under control.

By and large most comments I see, and talking heads on TV, think gold is over priced (they have since it was $1,000 an ounce). Until you start getting your cab driver giving you tips on great gold stocks, or you start seeing a real mania like 1999 with the tech stocks, I don't see how gold is in bubble territory yet. It has run up steeply, and will likely correct steeply at some point (like silver earlier this year). So just be careful about buying in at the moment I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!

Don Homhoos posted:

Until you start getting your cab driver giving you tips on great gold stocks...I don't see how gold is in bubble territory yet.

I have some bad news for you...