Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them

VikingSkull posted:

Seconding Threads. It's a horrifying movie. Blast protection might work if one bomb goes off.

Moscow probably would have received hundreds within a 30 mile radius. Think about it.

More accurate now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

NosmoKing posted:

More accurate now.

I think I mentioned it in the thread already but the amount of fratricide that would have occured before they got SIOP sorted out was hilarious.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

NosmoKing posted:

More accurate now.

I figured it was that high, just wasn't sure. I always chuckled when it's mentioned that the Soviets had better civil defense than the US, like herding them deep underground in a train station was somehow a better survival prospect.

The first 24 hours, sure, but I don't want to be around after that.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

VikingSkull posted:

I figured it was that high, just wasn't sure. I always chuckled when it's mentioned that the Soviets had better civil defense than the US, like herding them deep underground in a train station was somehow a better survival prospect.

The first 24 hours, sure, but I don't want to be around after that.

That's the civil defense plan in Seoul. The subway stations are DEEP, hugely deep, with a lot of open space for people to gather in.

Except for the fact that Seoul is utterly and completely hosed if stuff does happen.

Karl_moebius
Mar 31, 2011
could someone do a write up/ point some links that talk about the navy's plan? from reading Tom Clancy and a few other books the Atlantic side seemed to be protect the carriers, stop the Russians at the guik gap, counter attack as needed. but what about the Med and the Pacific? if nukes were going to be chucked fast and loose early were carrier groups going to respond to bomber formations or surface groups with nukes too? and not to put too fine a point but if the nukes do fly and there is a ship or submarine that survives the exchange, was there even a plan or reccomendation? or did plans really stop at like, step #30: congratulations, you've started global thermonuclear war; kiss your rear end goodbye?

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Karl_moebius posted:

could someone do a write up/ point some links that talk about the navy's plan? from reading Tom Clancy and a few other books the Atlantic side seemed to be protect the carriers, stop the Russians at the guik gap, counter attack as needed. but what about the Med and the Pacific? if nukes were going to be chucked fast and loose early were carrier groups going to respond to bomber formations or surface groups with nukes too? and not to put too fine a point but if the nukes do fly and there is a ship or submarine that survives the exchange, was there even a plan or reccomendation? or did plans really stop at like, step #30: congratulations, you've started global thermonuclear war; kiss your rear end goodbye?

Too late to do a full blown write up, but in order...the war in Western Europe would be won or lost in the North Atlantic, so all that other stuff (protect the carriers, close the G-I-UK gap, etc) was all so merchant convoys could get from the U.S. to Western Europe. If the Soviets could close the Atlantic, the war would be over pretty quickly. Reforger would allow troops to flow to be mated with the prepo equipment, but there weren't enough consumables (ammo and POL) prepo'd in Europe for the war to go on more than a week or two without resupply from the U.S.

The role of the Navy in the Med was to keep the Black Sea fleet bottled up as well as preserve Sea Lines of Communication (SLOCs) along NATO's southern flank (mostly Turkey and Greece, as well as Italy). In the Pacific it really depended on what was going on...best case, the war would be kept localized to Europe and the Navy would just do deterrence operations to support U.S. allies in the region without having to use force. Worst case, the Navy would keep SLOCs open to Japan, South Korea, the Philippines, and Taiwan while providing support for other operations (Defense of Taiwan, Defense of South Korea, etc.) Another big role to consider for the Navy was keeping the Straits of Hormuz open and the oil flowing. Without POL, it would be a pretty short war.

It was assumed that the weapons used to strike CVBGs with conventional weapons (air launched and sub launched cruise missiles as well as sub launched torpedoes) would be used to deliver nuclear weapons as well. This is part of the reason why carrier defense was such a big deal...while letting any missiles through would be bad if they were armed with conventional warheads, a conventional warhead leaking through and severely damaging a Tico or, worst case, the carrier is small potatoes compared to one nuclear tipped missile leaking through and taking out the entire CVBG. The only major surface threat posed by the Soviets would be the Kirov class battlecruiser, whose primary offensive weapon are Shipwreck antiship cruise missiles, which would have been armed with nuclear warheads at the time.

I don't know as far as Navy plans for after we execute the SIOP OPLAN 8044, but all AF plans had a recovery point for the bombers, usually way the hell away from any major pre-war SAC base. Most plans assumed the U.S. C2 structure would remain mostly intact, even after a nuclear war, so forces would be needed for secondary strikes/fighting after the initial spasm of violence. In fact, this very assumption is essential for maintaining a second strike capability which underpins MAD. (A boomer isn't much use remaining undetected if the NCA can't communicate a valid launch order to it).

Whether this was realistic is left up to the reader.

Regarding the effects of nuclear weapons and Threads...I've mentioned it before, but the "Guide to Armageddon" (part 1 is here) is well worth a watch. It's also done by Mick Jackson and is the "textbook" to Threads' "novel." The first half is about the effects of nuclear weapons, both on structures and humans. It is coldly instructive. The second half is all about taking the U.K.'s civil defense recommendations and putting them into practice. Short version: unless you a) have a plot of land big enough (unlikely in the city), b) have the money to pay someone to come out and do serious excavation and construction for a no poo poo shelter and c) have the money to provision said shelter for the amount of time necessary for the radiation/fallout to lower, there's really no point. Failing that the best case scenario is if you have at least a few day's warning you can carve out a slit trench and live a miserable existence for the few weeks it will take for the fallout to settle, and you might survive provided you are far enough away from ground zero (unlikely if you are in any sort of built up area where there will be multiple warheads striking); worst case scenario your structure is able to deal with the thermal pulse without instantly bursting into flames, and you're okay...for the 16 seconds it takes for the blast wave to hit and blow your house apart with 300 mph winds.

And even then, you've still got the whole "coming above ground to a completely destroyed radioactive wasteland" thing.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Karl_moebius posted:

if the nukes do fly and there is a ship or submarine that survives the exchange, was there even a plan or reccomendation? or did plans really stop at like, step #30: congratulations, you've started global thermonuclear war; kiss your rear end goodbye?

There was a training film for this scenario made in 1959 featuring Gregory Peck and Fred Astaire.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

The Proc posted:

There was a training film for this scenario made in 1959 featuring Gregory Peck and Fred Astaire.

Heh, I thought about that as soon as the question came up but forgot to mention it.

In case you don't get the reference.

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Aug 18, 2011

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Karl_moebius posted:

or did plans really stop at like, step #30: congratulations, you've started global thermonuclear war; kiss your rear end goodbye?

An interesting twist on this is the British concept of the Letter of Last Resort, which is a secret letter hand signed by the Prime Minister, sealed in an envelope and delivered to each captain of a nuclear submarine departing for a patrol. The letter is locked in a vault, and contains the manner of conduct to be followed by the Captain should all official functions of the Government cease to exist.

In essence, the Letter of Last Resort is the final act of the Government of the United Kingdom and Northern Ireland. Only the prime minister knows the contents, as they are destroyed upon a change of government, but likely they contain orders to attack a pre-set group of targets, as well as orders to report to the Navy of a surviving government and offer services upon mission completion.

Do US ballistic submarines have a similar deterrent mechanism?

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

iyaayas01 posted:

I don't know as far as Navy plans for after we execute the SIOP OPLAN 8044...

Looking up SIOP on Wikipedia let me to a great article on Slate. It's not AIRPOWER, but it's plenty Cold War.

Karl_moebius
Mar 31, 2011
Also: more pictures of the T-50 here: http://warfare.ru/?catid=255&linkid=2280 and huge: http://www.airliners.net/photo/Russia---Air/Sukhoi-T-50/1968186/L/&sid=d000a138ac35790f79a37a6e7524728d

I thought the YF-22/23 looked pretty, but they make some pretty pretty planes.

I have this image (because of Red Storm Rising) that in the atlantic carrier groups supported by land based assets would look like two boxers fighting, with movement and misdirection playing an important part. The Med isn't all that large to begin with, and they're trying to keep the Black Fleet bottled? Dear god, that would be a slugging match with conventional weapons, with nuclear weapons, ick.

I dunno if you've read this but, Gorbachev talking about the fall of the Soviet Union http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/aug/16/gorbachev-guardian-interview

Karl_moebius fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Aug 18, 2011

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Sjurygg posted:

An interesting twist on this is the British concept of the Letter of Last Resort, which is a secret letter hand signed by the Prime Minister, sealed in an envelope and delivered to each captain of a nuclear submarine departing for a patrol. The letter is locked in a vault, and contains the manner of conduct to be followed by the Captain should all official functions of the Government cease to exist.

In essence, the Letter of Last Resort is the final act of the Government of the United Kingdom and Northern Ireland. Only the prime minister knows the contents, as they are destroyed upon a change of government, but likely they contain orders to attack a pre-set group of targets, as well as orders to report to the Navy of a surviving government and offer services upon mission completion.

"PS - Save one for Belfast"

Karl_moebius
Mar 31, 2011
This article: http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today/newsid_7758000/7758347.stm gives the response of one PM and one 'alternate decision-taker'

I do find fascinating the stark difference in mindset between the civilians writing pieces about 'what would happen' and the missileers who they are interviewing when I surf through articles about nuclear weapons and the servicepeople involved.

Crescendo
Apr 24, 2005

Strafe those atheistic degenerates. Color them green with lots of holes.
Are you a Fulda Gap Commie tank? Maybe a Scud? Or are you on the wrong end of some CAS? I made a GIF for you:

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009

Ygolonac posted:

"PS - Save one for Belfast"

I think if it came to a full exchange then most neutrals would get hit. The Brits would likely pop one on Argentina for old times sake.

The letter to sub commanders under Thatcher was meant to simply say 'Strike Back'.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Baconroll posted:

I think if it came to a full exchange then most neutrals would get hit. The Brits would likely pop one on Argentina for old times sake.

The letter to sub commanders under Thatcher was meant to simply say 'Strike Back'.

PS- Avenge Yorktown!

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Smiling Jack posted:

PS- Avenge Yorktown!

PPS avenge the BOER war

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

Flikken posted:

PPS avenge the BOER war

PPPS- Alliances will come and go, but the French will always be French.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Sexual Lorax posted:

PPPS- Alliances will come and go, but the French will always be French.

PPPPS - Wogs begin at Calais.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Ygolonac posted:

PPPPS - Wogs begin at Calais.

PPPPPS - Avenge Lord Mountbatten

Frozen Horse
Aug 6, 2007
Just a humble wandering street philosopher.

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

PPPPPS - Avenge Lord Mountbatten

PPPPPPS - Avenge the harrowing of the north

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN

Sexual Lorax posted:

Looking up SIOP on Wikipedia let me to a great article on Slate. It's not AIRPOWER, but it's plenty Cold War.

Lesson #2: Rationality will not save us.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Nuclear war game theory is fine and dandy until you realize that a human life is a pretty valuable commodity.

Karl_moebius
Mar 31, 2011
It boggles my mind that the Plan had an appendix for "after total global nuclear war, return in case of needed sequel"

And how fast was the expected speed between:

storm of soviet tanks through fulda gap -> use of tactical nuclear weapons -> (some interim step) -> wide scale use of strategic nuclear weapons -> a million years later cockroaches evolve and colonize Mars.

I ask because I would love to hear that someone would stop and think, diplomats would work things out, and someone wouldn't take the next evolutionary step and destroy everything.

It also boggles my mind that I constantly still think in terms of US/Russia when I think of "nuclear exchange", followed by scenes from Mad Max (the second one), but India and Pakistan have nukes if they started incinerating each other via nuclear fire they wouldn't kill every living organism on the planet by themselves. I think?

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man
Hey iyaayas, one of my BFFs is a pilot at TransNorthern if you ever have interest in getting up close with one of the rare Super DC-3s.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Karl_moebius posted:

And how fast was the expected speed between:

storm of soviet tanks through fulda gap -> use of tactical nuclear weapons -> (some interim step) -> wide scale use of strategic nuclear weapons -> a million years later cockroaches evolve and colonize Mars.

<...>

It also boggles my mind that I constantly still think in terms of US/Russia when I think of "nuclear exchange", followed by scenes from Mad Max (the second one), but India and Pakistan have nukes if they started incinerating each other via nuclear fire they wouldn't kill every living organism on the planet by themselves. I think?

While any ideas about what a U.S.-Soviet war would look like are all theoretical, as previously mentioned in the thread up until the '80s NATO doctrine involved the use of tactical nuclear weapons early and often in the event of a Soviet mechanized invasion. So "Soviet tanks roll through the Fulda Gap -> use of tactical nuclear weapons" would be pretty much automatic. The problem here is that the likely Soviet retaliatory measure would be intermediate theater level Soviet nuclear strikes on NATO bases in the rear (airbases, depots, stuff like that) and would probably involve strikes on major cities, possibly even European capitals...this would likely be within hours of NATO tactical strikes. At this point, there would be very large pressure on the US to initiate a strategic strike, due to the tens of millions of dead Europeans and the whole pesky "Article V/'an armed attack on one is an armed attack on all'" thing, not to mention the fact that both the U.K. and France possess an independent deterrent and NATO also (at the time) possessed a large number of theater nuclear weapons capable of reaching into Russia proper and striking Moscow.

So really the only way a war in Europe didn't lead directly to a strategic nuclear conflict within a matter of hours was if NATO was able to stop the Soviets relatively early and the conflict devolved into a stalemate before anyone used tactical nukes (basically the scenario in Red Storm Rising).

As for India and Pakistan, no, they don't possess enough nukes to destroy the world, and any exchange would more than likely be localized since neither side has intercontinental delivery vehicles (no real reason for them to have them since they are right next to each other, and India's other big rival, China, is also right next door). The problem here is that the amount of dirt thrown up into the atmosphere from a limited Indo-Pakistani nuclear exchange would still have a significant effect on the worldwide climate. Some estimates I've seen call for around an additional billion deaths worldwide due to issues with agriculture/food production/etc...not too mention two extremely densely populated countries having a nuclear exchange.

SyHopeful posted:

Hey iyaayas, one of my BFFs is a pilot at TransNorthern if you ever have interest in getting up close with one of the rare Super DC-3s.

Cool, I might have to take your friend up on that.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Most scenarios I've ever read about usually have the time from Fulda Gap to strategic nukes at a week or less, with the tactical to strategic switch taking about 36 hours. There's so many variables, though, it's hard to tell.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
Britain's Cold War.jpg:

Vulcan B.2 and TSR.2 taken from a Concorde.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Lobster God posted:

Britain's Cold War.jpg:

Vulcan B.2 and TSR.2 taken from a Concorde.

What is that A-5 looking aircraft?

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

SyHopeful posted:

What is that A-5 looking aircraft?

Like he said, TSR.2. Cancelled '60s era British supersonic strike and reconnaissance aircraft...roughly the U.K. equivalent to the Canadian Arrow in terms of cancelling a well performing project for political reasons.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Avro Arrow :canada:

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

mikerock posted:

Avro Arrow :canada:

But hey, on a positive note you guys got some of your heritage back the other day.

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Aug 21, 2011

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
It's all a ploy to get Kate over to christen any new ships :swoon:

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

iyaayas01 posted:

Like he said, TSR.2. Cancelled '60s era British supersonic strike and reconnaissance aircraft...roughly the U.K. equivalent to the Canadian Arrow in terms of cancelling a well performing project for political reasons.

:downs: doh

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I still say the Avrocar cancellation was the greatest tragedy in Canadian Aerospace:

:eng99::hf::canada:

Not Nipsy Russell
Oct 6, 2004

Failure is always an option.

priznat posted:

I still say the Avrocar cancellation was the greatest tragedy in Canadian Aerospace:

:eng99::hf::canada:

(Cropped because I don't know how to do masking in GIMP).

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Their rims even rrrroll up!

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

1955 was SO CUTE. I just want to pinch its cheeks and say "mama knows child, mama knows."

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Lockheed l-1011The plane who, with help from the oil crisis and some badly timed airline bankruptcies, ended Lockheed's involvement in civil aviation. Sort of the friendly cute cousin of the c-5

Here's a video fo the c-5 dropping a minuteman missile that ignites and flies away

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96A0wb1Ov9k
I hope no one's posted it already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

WEREWAIF posted:

Here's a video fo the c-5 dropping a minuteman missile that ignites and flies away

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96A0wb1Ov9k
I hope no one's posted it already

This is awesome. I wish my dumps would ignite and fly away too.