Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

molomoloch posted:

Half scholarship for the win!
Wait what happened to

molomoloch posted:

I'm getting 15k a year from Michigan out of state, and 17500 a year from Georgetown.
A half scholarship at Southwestern beat out a, uh, third scholarship at Michigan or Georgetown?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

molomoloch
Jun 9, 2010
With tuition increases it was more like a 1/4th scholarship (60k a year is the new 45k a year), plus it's always Sunny in Beautiful Los Angeles!

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

molomoloch posted:

With tuition increases it was more like a 1/4th scholarship (60k a year is the new 45k a year), plus it's always Sunny in Beautiful Los Angeles!

You're just trolling now.

Bathing Jesus
Aug 26, 2003

CaptainScraps posted:

I was pretty sure from the first post that it was a troll.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

molomoloch posted:

My One-L year starts next week at Southwestern! All I can hear is the cha-ching of the cash register. Half scholarship yo
Enjoy having your scholarship yanked, and tell the Dean to suck it for me!

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
The relief of getting my first OCI callback is awesome.

PatrickKilpatrick
Jul 11, 2007

AKMoose posted:

When was your OCI? Mine ended today and the wait is torture.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
Daily reminder that lawyers are antisocial and/or sociopaths: "Associate Claims He Was Fired for Exhibiting Intelligence and Creativity"

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

CaptainScraps posted:

Alternative to professional school / being a lawyer: getting on Most Eligible Dallas. See you at Teddy's / Ghost Bar / Lotus / Wish

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Lote posted:

Alternative to professional school / being a lawyer: getting on Most Eligible Dallas. See you at Teddy's / Ghost Bar / Lotus / Wish

gently caress that, go to the Loon and watch Owen Wilson hit on dumpy SMU girls.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

AKMoose posted:

Still waiting. 17 interviews completed and 6 to go; 2 rejections so far.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

PatrickKilpatrick posted:

When was your OCI? Mine ended today and the wait is torture.

Today was the first day. There are three more remaining.

Sulecrist posted:

Good luck!

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

CaptainScraps posted:

gently caress that, go to the Loon and watch Owen Wilson hit on dumpy SMU girls.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Sulecrist posted:

10 to go for me, no word yet from anyone. Hilarious stories though.

One firm posted a sign on all the interview room doors: "CALLBACKS GO OUT AUGUST 22, CALLBACKS WILL BE HELD SEPTEMBER 7th."

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Only the dead have seen the end of war
Somewhat depressed that I did 19 interviews but only have three callbacks thus far. EIP ended on Tuesday. I thought I did pretty well in most of my interviews but I guess I was wrong. Only one rejection but at this point, I doubt that I'll be getting much more than what I already have.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
When I did OCI (which was three years ago and in a much better market), I had like 20+ interviews too, only I didn't get a single callback. If you got three in this market, feel good and don't whine.

Lilosh
Jul 13, 2001
I'm Lilosh with an OSHY
OCI last week. 17 interviews led to a total of 4 callbacks. One of which was at the end of last week.

Got an offer from that firm yesterday! Now I can do my other three callbacks a lot more relaxed and see where I fit and where I want to end up.

Note to 1Ls: Contrary to what they tell you, law review matters for biglaw. People with worse grades than mine (I was top 5-10% on a secondary journal, they're top 30% on LR) who made it onto law review had 9-12 callbacks and had some callbacks at top firms that flat out rejected me.

Prepare for your write-on and sacrifice goats to the gods if you need to.

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

entris posted:

When I did OCI (which was three years ago and in a much better market), I had like 20+ interviews too, only I didn't get a single callback. If you got three in this market, feel good and don't whine.

This, but last year and 23 interviews.

Nero
Oct 15, 2003
Law review is incredibly important for any type of job.

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

Lilosh posted:

Note to 1Ls: Contrary to what they tell you, law review matters for biglaw. People with worse grades than mine (I was top 5-10% on a secondary journal, they're top 30% on LR) who made it onto law review had 9-12 callbacks and had some callbacks at top firms that flat out rejected me.

I had the opposite experience and thought getting onto law review with not so great grades didn't help me very much in the interview process and that having good grades ended up being much more important so your mileage may vary and a lot of it probably depends on how well you interview once you have the interview, unless its a lottery system.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Nero posted:

Law review is incredibly important for any type of job.
Yeah, who is telling you law review doesn't matter?

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Got a callback! And finished the last of the 23 interviews. Still only two rejections. And I have two more interviews at the end of next week, one of which is biglaw.

Highlights:
-calling Sullivan Cromwell "Covington" in front of five associates
-blurting out a question (to a firm several goons have worked at) about the loving hundreds of layoffs a few years back
-my new headphones

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
God I wish I had worn headphones during my OCI. It would have been so much more relaxing, listening to some cool tunes while sitting across the table from people who had no intention of ever hiring me.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

Omerta posted:

It's not always tough. A guy in my fraternity is starting law school at Valpo (full tuition, obviously) this year. I bet him $100 that he wouldn't have a legal job or would be making less than $30k after he graduated. Jokes on me though because he'll have no money haha!

He can pay you back in Alpo.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Stunt Rock posted:

He can pay you back in Alpo.

I knew a heroin addict in college that literally ate only generic Alpo and ketchup and other stuff people brought him. He was smarter than someone who goes to Valpo law.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

BigHead posted:

I knew a heroin addict in college that literally ate only generic Alpo and ketchup and other stuff people brought him. He was smarter than someone who goes to Valpo law.

Dine on Alpo? Too good for Valpo.

Stunt Rock fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Aug 19, 2011

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Stunt Rock posted:

Dine on Alpo? Too good for Valpo.

You should requote me I fixed those typos tyia.

Lilosh
Jul 13, 2001
I'm Lilosh with an OSHY

gvibes posted:

Yeah, who is telling you law review doesn't matter?

I got the impression from either career services or the previous year or maybe the ever-reliable internet that LR was a small boost for OCI and a huge boost for academia and clerkships.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Lilosh posted:

I got the impression from either career services or the previous year or maybe the ever-reliable internet that LR was a small boost for OCI and a huge boost for academia and clerkships.

well anyway it's just not true

Lilosh
Jul 13, 2001
I'm Lilosh with an OSHY

Sulecrist posted:

Yeah, if there's one thing I learned after this OCI, it's that.

fruitpoops
May 11, 2006
fruitloops
Is Law Review actually any fun or interesting to do?

I don't think it's that important in Canada since it's non-competitive to get on, so I'm trying to figure out if it's still worth doing.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

Lilosh posted:

I would agree with that though. People at my school that were top 30-20% with LR had way fewer screeners than someone who was top 5% and secondary journal.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Sulecrist posted:

Might be true for PD or DA work (outside of Manhattan, San Francisco, Santa Clara and the like). No one has ever asked me my GPA applying for PD jobs in CA, much less about journals.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

fruitpoops posted:

Is Law Review actually any fun or interesting to do?

I don't think it's that important in Canada since it's non-competitive to get on, so I'm trying to figure out if it's still worth doing.

Some are definitely competitive. At Osgoode we didn't have a write-on competition as such, but you still had to apply with a cover letter and resume and they only took a small handful of people. The secondary journals, though, I have no idea.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
So far, so good for the first two days. Did 11 of my 25 total screening interviews, and none of the interviews were outright bombs. Two callbacks scheduled thus far.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
http://www.abajournal.com/news/arti...gn=weekly_email

hahahaha

cendien
Sep 14, 2008

Omerta posted:

I would agree with that though. People at my school that were top 30-20% with LR had way fewer screeners than someone who was top 5% and secondary journal.

How did that happen? Top 5% at our school should pretty much all grade on to the primary journal.

dos4gw
Nov 12, 2005

lol

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

nm posted:

Might be true for PD or DA work (outside of Manhattan, San Francisco, Santa Clara and the like). No one has ever asked me my GPA applying for PD jobs in CA, much less about journals.

i'm thinking about writing a note about (probably in support of) prisons-without-walls scenarios in other first-world countries. or some other poo poo that i find interesting this semester. this is for the comparative/international law journal that i'm on. on the other hand, a work sounds like a lot of work. could it help me get a prosecutor job (either ada or eventually even ausa), or could it hurt, or will it likely have no effect at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

dos4gw posted:

lol

Read the complaint, it owns (the plaintiff)