Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

QPZIL posted:

edit-- well maybe I'm wrong. I thought those 1-hour labs could only do C-41 processing.
No, you're correct. 1-hour minilabs won't be able to do B&W at all. If you take B&W film to one (and they actually try to process it), the C-41 chemicals will ruin it and your negatives will come back blank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

How do you deal with overly curly film? Is there any miracle cure when your negatives like to curl up, making them way too hard to push into sleeves or place in the enlarger?

I suspect it happens with old film that has been stored too warm...

Also: Do your B/W development at home. Anything else is just wrong.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

nielsm posted:

How do you deal with overly curly film? Is there any miracle cure when your negatives like to curl up, making them way too hard to push into sleeves or place in the enlarger?

I find that trying to get it into the binder page for fifteen minutes and then screaming at it works.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

nielsm posted:

I suspect it happens with old film that has been stored too warm...

Also: Do your B/W development at home. Anything else is just wrong.

Curl across the negative or lengthwise? For curl across the negative I curl the negative sleeve too as I put in the negative. For lengthwise curl, once my negs are in strips to go into the sleeves, the curl isn't ever so severe I can't coax them into the sleeves. Occasionally I'll have the sleeves at the edge of a table so the un-sleeved portion of the negative strip can hang off while I thread in the beginning of the strip.

For me, both types of curl seem to resolve themselves after a few days in a negative binder with a few pounds' worth of other negative sleeves pushing them flat.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
Has Dwayne's gone out of style for film processing? They do B&W. But if you have any interest in shooting more B&W film in the foreseeable future it's probably cheaper to do it yourself.

Ciro-Flex
Jan 28, 2009
Portra 160!

FH000005 by ksulli25, on Flickr

Nikon FM2 with 105mm f/2.5

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Beastruction posted:

Has Dwayne's gone out of style for film processing? They do B&W. But if you have any interest in shooting more B&W film in the foreseeable future it's probably cheaper to do it yourself.
Everything I've heard points to their B&W processing being mediocre at best. Don't trust them with everything just because they lured us in with Kodachrome.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Beastruction posted:

But if you have any interest in shooting more B&W film in the foreseeable future it's probablycertainly much cheaper to do it yourself.
Develop your B&W at home. Do what I did, on the advice of this thread: find somebody selling off their darkroom starter kit (you don't need an enlarger or paper or a safelight or any of the other things needed for wet printing), make sure the chemicals are good (or buy new), do it at home. Easy.

About 10 years ago I dropped off a roll of C-41 B&W (it was Kodak, 400 I think, can't remember the name) at my grocery store; this was back when everywhere would happily accept a roll of film and send it down the street to the nearest minilab. Somebody in the lab saw "Black and White" but didn't see "Process C-41" and developed my roll of 35mm by hand; I don't know exactly how, but the film was supposed to give a sepia old-timey kind of look, and the prints came back as high-contrast glossies. The store wanted to charge me $28 for what should have cost about $6. I managed to argue it down to the regular price with a manager, but it did teach me the cost of having a "professional" develop film by hand. I wouldn't send a roll of B&W to a shop, if you can't/won't develop it yourself, tell us where you live and somebody reasonably near by will do it for you (send beer money).

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

I live in Rhode Island but yeah I want someone else to develop at least this roll as it was a memorable show. I will look into my own developing once I move out.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Photex posted:

I live in Rhode Island but yeah I want someone else to develop at least this roll as it was a memorable show. I will look into my own developing once I move out.
Check your PMs.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Ciro-Flex posted:

Portra 160!

FH000005 by ksulli25, on Flickr

Nikon FM2 with 105mm f/2.5

You cut her foot and hand off :(

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

pwn posted:

Check your PMs.

Replied :3:

Ciro-Flex
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah the composition is a little cramped, but unfortunately by the time I backed up a little bit I wasn't getting the same smile as in this picture. Is it really distracting? :(

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

Ciro-Flex posted:

Yeah the composition is a little cramped, but unfortunately by the time I backed up a little bit I wasn't getting the same smile as in this picture. Is it really distracting? :(

I don't think it's distracting at all, and wouldn't have noticed if it wasn't pointed out. I think sometimes we are too anal about cutting off parts of the body, especially considering her legs are slightly cut off, and her feet/legs aren't in focus anyway. It doesn't look like she's an amputee, and the focus of the photo is on her face and the books. I think if you would have zoomed out or stepped back a bit to get her entire body in frame, it would have actually taken away from the photo.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
Is there a recommended source for light seals/kits? Finally got my XA test roll back and it looks like there's some light getting in (not surprising because the seals were pretty cruddy).

ExecuDork posted:

Develop your B&W at home. Do what I did, on the advice of this thread: find somebody selling off their darkroom starter kit (you don't need an enlarger or paper or a safelight or any of the other things needed for wet printing), make sure the chemicals are good (or buy new), do it at home. Easy.

It's been on my to-do list for about 2 years, but I think it's finally near the top now because I want to try medium format and that would get way too expensive for dev + scans otherwise.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Beastruction posted:

Is there a recommended source for light seals/kits? Finally got my XA test roll back and it looks like there's some light getting in (not surprising because the seals were pretty cruddy).

Try taking all the seals out first. Sometimes cameras seal better with no seals as opposed to partial crappy seals.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Beastruction posted:

It's been on my to-do list for about 2 years, but I think it's finally near the top now because I want to try medium format and that would get way too expensive for dev + scans otherwise.

Interslice kits (on ebay) are great and dirt cheap.

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010
Thanks for the advice about rangefinders guys. I just got my first negs back and I'm really falling in love.Crossposting from the 35mm P&S thread, Just wonndering though, how the negative turned out in this one, and I'm a little clueless as to how it turned out very subtle with the midtones and highlights and saturation compared to the rest of the roll (Cheap Kodak Gold 200).

Colour by trambopaline, on Flickr

compared to say this

Lonely by trambopaline, on Flickr

which was in similar lighting conditions?

Excuse the possibly dumb question. I'm just trying to get a handle on film and trying to visualise how lighting turns out on film. Cheers!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The light isn't similar at all. The first one is overcast, the second one isn't.

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh
Yeah, pay more attention to the edges of the shadows to determine lighting.

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010
Alright, cheers. I must have just remembered wrong about the lighting. Now to throw a ton more rolls through this thing to get a better feel for film...

Miike
Nov 7, 2003
Free Mandela
Quick question guys. I dropped my fully plastic lomo camera and film in the ocean. How do I save the film? Should I wet the film again with tab water to get the salty water and residue of, or would that make things worse? I'm ready to put the roll in a lightproof can with rice. But I want to know if I rinse the roll with water if it affects the chemicals in any way, or is the roll already doomed?

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Miike posted:

Quick question guys. I dropped my fully plastic lomo camera and film in the ocean. How do I save the film? Should I wet the film again with tab water to get the salty water and residue of, or would that make things worse? I'm ready to put the roll in a lightproof can with rice. But I want to know if I rinse the roll with water if it affects the chemicals in any way, or is the roll already doomed?

I googled 'presoak film water develop' and it looks like people presoak certain B&W films then adjust the development time to compensate for the added water. However, any salt residue can also change the chemical reactions. If your film is B&W, you could flush the film several times with cold tap water to try to dilute any salt then adjust the development time to compensate. YMMV.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

pseudonordic posted:

I googled 'presoak film water develop' and it looks like people presoak certain B&W films then adjust the development time to compensate for the added water. However, any salt residue can also change the chemical reactions. If your film is B&W, you could flush the film several times with cold tap water to try to dilute any salt then adjust the development time to compensate. YMMV.

Huh, I always presoak my film in 20C water. I didn't know it was something people only did with "certain B&W films".

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Cube #3 by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

portra rules

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

018_18 by Photex-Media, on Flickr

Portra 800 does indeed rule, first time I shot on it and only the second time i've used my Maxxum 5.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

why were you shooting portra 800 in direct sunlight :raise:

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/living/2011/08/18/natpkg.film.not.dead.yet.cnn?hpt=hp_abar

Interesting little snippet on the film photography scene in NYC.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

QPZIL posted:

Huh, I always presoak my film in 20C water. I didn't know it was something people only did with "certain B&W films".

Ilford specifically disrecommends it with some of their films, e.g. FP4+. "A pre-rinse is not recommended as it can lead to uneven processing."

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

nielsm posted:

Ilford specifically disrecommends it with some of their films, e.g. FP4+. "A pre-rinse is not recommended as it can lead to uneven processing."

Ah, I mostly shoot Tri-X and have never had problems with an H2O presoak. I always heard that it loosens up the emulsion to PREVENT uneven processing. I'll keep that in mind for the future though.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

QPZIL posted:

Ah, I mostly shoot Tri-X and have never had problems with an H2O presoak. I always heard that it loosens up the emulsion to PREVENT uneven processing. I'll keep that in mind for the future though.

I think Kodak's and Ilford's anti-halation layers are quite different. One of the advantages of a pre-soak with Kodak is supposed to be or completely washing away the anti-halation layer, IIRC.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

I pre-soak my Ilford stuff and the water usually comes out purple. I thought that was the anti-halation layer dissolving.

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh
I also pre-soak too, the water will usually be clear unless I'm shooting china lucky and then it's pretty much bright purple.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

I just got a Hasselblad recently and here are some of the early photos I shot on Tri-X 400

Convergence by alkanphel, on Flickr

Lost in Thought by alkanphel, on Flickr

Leaves, Picnic Terrace, Fort Canning by alkanphel, on Flickr

Granite Stairs & Alabaster Railings by alkanphel, on Flickr

Top Floor, Bras Brasah Complex by alkanphel, on Flickr

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
So I've been getting into film lately. I started catching the bug a few years ago after I got a Diana F+ from Urban Outfitters (yes, I know better now and at least I got it a little cheaper than what they're asking now). I've moved onto to a couple 35mm rangefinders (Zorki-4 and Kodak Retina IIa) and love them both. I was just given a Nikon N2000, which is the first SLR I've ever used. It's okay. I hate the shutter/film advance deal and not being able to shoot without batteries.

Yesterday, though, I took out a Kodak Duaflex IV TLR for my attempt at some street stuff. Just tried to develop my own film for the first time tonight and completely hosed it. I did Diafine but didn't get nearly all the A solution out, but I didn't realize it until I went to pour the B in. Then I tried to pour all the B out knowing it wasn't coming out well (and of course, B is the *don't agitate!* solution). Still didn't get all of it out and didn't know how bad it was until I poured the fixer in... just terrible. One photo came out, the rest didn't. I had to share that with you Dorkroom. :smith:

I also have a question! There's a guy on CL saying he's got a Voigtlander Prominent with dynaron 1:4.5/100 and ultron 1:2/50 lenses and a working light meter for $500, but says in the listing to make an offer. This isn't somewhere where a lot of camera stuff moves well, so I'm thinking it might be possible to pick it up for a little less even. Is it worth it? I can't afford to spend that much on it for myself, but would any dorkroomers be interested in having me pick it up for them?

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Contaminating B with A isn't that bad, it's expected that some contamination will occur, as you aren't even supposed to rinse between stages, it's getting B into your A that will ruin it. Also, I've never heard of B being 'do not agitate,' and have always done the exact same agitation throughout my process (dev/wash/fix/dev).

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Reichstag posted:

Contaminating B with A isn't that bad, it's expected that some contamination will occur, as you aren't even supposed to rinse between stages, it's getting B into your A that will ruin it. Also, I've never heard of B being 'do not agitate,' and have always done the exact same agitation throughout my process (dev/wash/fix/dev).

Yeah I'm not too worried about contaminating the B with the A. The problem is that maybe a third of the B that should have gone in actually went in - that's how full it still was. As for the "do not agitate" part, I don't know, I got that off a tutorial somebody put together on RFF.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Rollei 35 protip: make sure the rewind lever is fully down. Up is rewind, mine was at horizontal and I lost a whole day's pics because the counter was advancing but the film wasn't. :negative:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Reasons to stay away from expired film:
o It's probably fogged
o It might have lost sensitivity
o poo poo curls and is impossible to handle
o The print on 120 backing paper can somehow leave marks in the picture

I can handle fogged film, just print at a higher grade. I can handle lost sensitivity, just meter for 1/3 or 2/3 stop slower. I can handle the curlyness, as long as it's not too many rolls at a time. But circled numbers and weird dots showing up all over my pictures? NO CURE. :arghfist::emo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Adds character(s) :downsrim:

For me, film comes in three flavours:
1. Full-price, new film. Avoid
2. Cheap film that's cheap because it's expired. Good
3. Free film sent to me because somebody didn't want it, often because it's expired. Best

Paul MaudDib, I just re-read your post and realized a friend is using a Rollei 35 right now on vacation. How do I tactfully suggest to her to check that? She hasn't used the camera for many years, and decided to run a few rolls through it on this vacation based on my enthusiasm.