Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Lon Lon Rabbit posted:

Do straps exist that can make a Hassie 500c/m a walk around camera?

I baby it so much and shove it back into my bag after every shot, currently, but now the weather is nice I want to do a bit more street/wandering with it and without my bag.
I've heard good things about the Optech strap but personally I'm using the Artist & Artisan Hassy strap which I really like. I just hang it around my neck and it rests around midchest level, lens pointing down, which is perfect to just turn it straight up, pop out the WLF and start composing. It's not as comfortable as the wide padding on the Optech but it's pretty decent still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
I'm looking for a smallish camera insert (T2i with a small zoom and a prime) mainly for backpack use that I can also attach a strap to for toting around on its own. Anything out there besides the Waterfield camera case?

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

alkanphel posted:

I've heard good things about the Optech strap but personally I'm using the Artist & Artisan Hassy strap which I really like. I just hang it around my neck and it rests around midchest level, lens pointing down, which is perfect to just turn it straight up, pop out the WLF and start composing. It's not as comfortable as the wide padding on the Optech but it's pretty decent still.

Yeah, I really like the quality and styling of the A&A straps, but I had one for my Bessa and it was not very comfortable, so I bought an OP/TECH for $12 and liked that a lot better. The Hassie one is also very good.

I keep pimping the Blackrapid for everything, but I really do like it. It can hold up a large format camera no problem (like my 5x7 Auto Graflex, basically the biggest possible camera to handhold), is easy to switch between cameras because of the tripod-socket connection, and the ergonomics are great. Mine has migrated between my 5D, Speed Graphic, Graflex SLR, Mamiya C330 (sold), Kiev 60 (selling) and now Hasselblad. They were out of stock of the quick release shoe pass-through when I ordered mine, I've really got to get one of those for maximum convenience.

Miko
May 20, 2001

Where I come from, there's no such thing as kryptonite.
Picked up my Kata 467i and had a little time to use it and I like it so far.

It'd got the bottom insert, which is pretty rugged and it'll keep anything protected. Getting the camera in and out isn't a problem, as long as you keep the camera parallel (?) with the zippers. The rest of the compartments are pretty well padded too, so I can throw things in a number of places. The bag is basically 50% insert/50% extra space. Also the laptop sleeve is a nice touch, but I haven't used it yet.

It does end up being a kind of boxy backpack because of all the structural enhancements, but I do like the comfy wide straps and lock down straps all over the place, in case you need to jump out of a plane or something.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
Figured I'd put up a couple rundowns of the two bags I own.

Canon 200DG:
Pros:
  • Cheap. I paid $30 for it lightly used.
  • Holds a decent amount of gear.
  • Shoulder strap allows you to carry it at the same time as a backpack. When I travel for work I carry a large laptop backpack on my back and this over my shoulder. I look ridiculous, but it gets the job done.
  • Holds a decent amount of gear. I believe I've held my 50D w/ Tamron 17-50 mounted and a Sigma 10-20mm, Canon EF-S 55-250mm, and Canon 50mm 1.8 all stored away and still have enough room for accessories.
  • You can quickly access your camera without taking the bag off.

Cons:
  • Too small for professional lenses. Even a smaller L lens wouldn't fit in it.
  • Really uncomfortable. I did some hikes with it last year and I wanted to die within a quarter mile. One shoulder strap is probably never going to be that comfortable for walking, but this strap is especially annoying.

Lowepro Fastpack 350:
Pros:
  • Space. I can bring a complete digital and film setup if I want. That would include: 50D w/ 70-200mm F/2.8 mounted. Tamron 17-50, Sigma 10-20, Canon 50 1.8 in pouches (tight squeeze for some, but it works). In the upper compartment I can easily fit an AE-1 w/ lens and another lens for good measure in the separate pouch plus half a dozen rolls of film. I'd still have enough room for a water bottle, a few snacks, and maybe even a gun to kill myself for dragging 25 pounds of gear out on a day hike. It can also carry around a laptop, which I haven't done yet, but may try in the future.
  • Surprisingly comfortable. I've done many miles of hiking with this thing during the summer and haven't had any issues.

Cons:
  • Accessing your camera is not fast nor easy. I have to pull it off and set the bag on the ground on it's side to remove the camera and lens. Why they call this the fastpack I will never know.
  • No tie downs for a tripod. Not a huge deal, but they'd be nice.

Overall I don't regret getting either, but the Lowepro is going to get a lot more use just because of the comfort. I get annoyed by the cons of the Lowepro, but my ability to comfortably carry around tons of gear is awesome. The flipside 400 is probably a little better if you don't need a laptop sleeve, but at the time I bought mine the fastpack was about 1/2 the price of the flipside.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
I just got the Ona Union Street in Smoke (the gray color) today.

It's a lot smaller than I thought it was. I have a 5d2, a 35L, 24-105L and a 50 1.4. It barely takes all 3, I have to put my st-e2, spare battery and cards and stuff loose in the spot underneath one of the little velcro walls that are supporting the camera. There's no way this thing would take a 5d2 with a grip on it.

It's sort of tall, but it's not very wide or long. It certainly could not take a 70-200 on a camera body, and I'm not 100% sure it could take the 2.8 IS alone, if it could it'd be really close. With the 24-105 and a 5d2, there's probably an inch or so left of space.

The padding is nice, but not very firm from the outside. The bottom is fine, but the narrow sides (ends) are pretty thin. I would hesitate to put a lens against the ends. I put an extra velcro wall piece right against one end and that seems a lot more secure. Because it has a laptop slot and a front pocket, it's fairly well protected from the big sides. It's fairly easy to open like a messenger bag and grab your camera. It has little rain corners that would cover the ends of the bag to stop a little bit of rain from getting in. It has a square bottom so it won't tip over and it's pretty sturdy so I don't see it falling over too much.

The bag itself is very light and very well made. The back pocket has a magnet to keep it shut, but it's pretty thin, I don't think you could put more than a magazine or two in there. The front pocket is very nice and zippers shut, and could probably hold a bunch of things like a phone, wallet, keys, e-reader, card-reader and spare memory cards without much issue. If you fill this up though, it definitely makes the pocket push out a bit and looks kind of silly. That pocket is obviously not meant to carry a whole lot aesthetically, but it can practically.

It's comfortable to carry around, and loaded up with all of my gear (sans laptop) it seemed comfortable and well balanced. For some reason when I ordered it I thought it was leather(it says on the website it's not), but it turns out that only the trim and bottom are leather. The bulk of the fabric is a waxed canvas type thing that seems pretty good. The belt straps on the outside are a little silly, you belt them down to where you want, and then they release with a latch. I can't see ever keeping them on anything then the loosest setting.

The strap on top is very cool to carry it like a briefcase, but because it's attached to the flap on top, the bag hangs at an angle if you load it up.

I'm not entirely sure I feel like I got my full $279 value out of the bag, but I needed a messenger type bag for a trip to europe this fall, and didn't want to carry around my lowepro fastpack 250 or the microtrekker 100 that I have. It looks very nice and definitely functions, it's just not quite as padded as I would like, nor is it as large as I'd like.

Pros:
-Really nice build quality
-Looks great, subtle markings and subdued trim.
-Light and compact.
-Decent padding

Cons:
-Expensive
-Definitely cannot hold a gripped camera
-Not tall enough for a long lens on body
-Padding is thin on the ends

Pics:

Bag with Canon 35L and 50 1.4 in the right 2 spots.

Bag next to a MicroTrekker 100

iPhone pic with it loaded with a 5d with a 24-105 on it, and 2 lenses.

The same stuff in the MicroTrekker 100. Yes it closes just fine, the 35L is just a fatty.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
Your comments seem to jive with a lot of other reviews I've read. It's a beautiful bag, but not as functional as you'd hope for the price. I still think I want one though.

Also, this guy carries his 70-200 in it. He also recommends storing it unmounted.

TheAngryDrunk fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jul 20, 2011

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

It looks to be about the size of a Billingham Hadley Pro but without the expandable front pockets.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Your comments seem to jive with a lot of other reviews I've read. It's a beautiful bag, but not as functional as you'd hope for the price. I still think I want one though.
I'll sell you my brown one. I just don't use it enough.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I want one, but it's not at the top of my "to buy" list. I also just bought a Retrospective 10 to fill my messenger bag needs.

Was the bag not what you hoped for?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Was the bag not what you hoped for?
No I just don't shoot enough to justify the investment. :(

Evilkiksass
Jun 30, 2007
I am literally Bowbles IRL :(

DO A KEGSTAND BRAH
Any recommendations on wrist straps? I would like to find one which can be used for a variety of loads from just a RF with a small lens on it, to a d700 with grip and 70-200 (the more common usage). Right now I just do a little wrappy thing with my neck strap that works OK, but has come loose a couple of times, and nearly broken gear, so trying to find a replacement strap now.

Edit:

Saw the link for camdapter a couple pages back. Looks good but would prefer not to spend $80 on a strap + base. Especially since I will likely need multiple adapters for various bodies.

Second Edit:

Based on ThisQuietReverie's post I am guessing what I want is called a hand strap and not a wrist strap. So feel free to suggest those as well.

Evilkiksass fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jul 21, 2011

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006
Here comes a special boy!
Thanks all for the strap advice last page.

I went with the Optech just because there's not a lot of choice locally, and anything other than it either has zero padding or costs $80+.

Gonna have to do something about that big loud "USA" text though... I get mistaken for an American enough already.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

Evilkiksass posted:

Any recommendations on wrist straps? I would like to find one which can be used for a variety of loads from just a RF with a small lens on it, to a d700 with grip and 70-200 (the more common usage). Right now I just do a little wrappy thing with my neck strap that works OK, but has come loose a couple of times, and nearly broken gear, so trying to find a replacement strap now.

I have a Gordy's wrist strap on my x100 I like a lot.

http://www.electricedge.com/gordy_s_straps/

I have one like in his logo at the top but with a wrist pad and won't use the x100 without it.

I'm not sure about it on a heavier camera, particularly a DSLR with a 70-200. Not that it wouldn't hold, I'm sure it will, but a big camera with a big lens wouldn't be very comfortable hanging off your wrist.

If you must accommodate both an RF and DSLR I would imagine a hand strap would work better.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Where were you four months ago when I shelled out $300 for one?! Oh, right, selling me your computer.

Oh well, I love that loving bag and so does everyone that sees it. I have to put my gripped camera in without lenses on, but it's really not as big of a hassle as I thought it would be and I've gotten good at changing poo poo in the air. I easily fit a 2.8IS in it. Yeah it takes a whole side, but it fit just fine. I've taken that bag to several events and worn it for 8+ hours and other than a little stiffness the next day, it never bugged me at all. It's also sexy as hell. Everyone buy one. No, wait, don't. That would make mine less special.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
I'm pretty happy with my 7MDH but I feel like when I purchase my next lens (28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L IS) it's not going to fit in there well with 24-70mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 IS, 100mm macro f/2.8IS and 5dMkII /w grip. There's still a little room left in the bag today where I sometimes shove a 580ex II flash but it's super cramped... and heavy on the one shoulder.

I feel like I need all these different lenses on me too. The 28-300 will cover me fine for walk around during the day but for macro and low light I'll want my others. I've tried the Lowepro backpacks and absolutely hated them. I thought the weight distribution was awful. Outside of that I haven't really seen anything in between too small and giant that was attractive/functional.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

How much are you looking for?

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut
I'm looking for a backpack. I'm going to be using it for primarily non-photo stuff, but it needs to be able to take a d300 + grip and a few lenses or a pentax 6x7 when i need it to, along with a 15 inch laptop. Price is a factor, <150 would be great, <100 even better. Any recommendations?

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

JaundiceDave posted:

I'm looking for a backpack. I'm going to be using it for primarily non-photo stuff, but it needs to be able to take a d300 + grip and a few lenses or a pentax 6x7 when i need it to, along with a 15 inch laptop. Price is a factor, <150 would be great, <100 even better. Any recommendations?

I would probably look at using a normal backpack and then getting some kind of internal camera section such as one of these: http://fstopgear.com/en/product/mountain/icu Camera bags tend to put storing a camera first before comfort/fit etc so if you are going to be mostly using it for non camera stuff I would look into getting a decent backpack then something that will allow you to carry your camera in that bag.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

tarepanda posted:

How much are you looking for?
Lemme get some photos together and I'll post an SA-Mart thread this week.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

JaundiceDave posted:

http://www.tombihn.com

Their bags are expensive but probably the last back pack you will ever buy. I have a Brain bag which is their biggest and everyday carry my laptop, several books and my hasselblad setup (in a soft wrap) with tons of space to spare.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut
Thanks for the recommendations, I ended up going for a Kata, specifically this one.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Do not try to boost in peace, because that is impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth, there is no boost.
Can someone recommend a "modern looking" camera bag? A sling bag would be great, I want it to look as far from a traditional camera bag as possible.

I am getting a Nikon D5100 on Tuesday and I don't want to have a big stupid looking bag. I'll probably only be carrying around the body and a lens or two.

Something like this but not as big is what I am going for:

http://www.goincase.com/products/detail/ari-marcopoulos-camera-bag-cl58033

... minus the dumb signatures and such.

ruro
Apr 30, 2003

Belldandy posted:

Can someone recommend a "modern looking" camera bag? A sling bag would be great, I want it to look as far from a traditional camera bag as possible.

I am getting a Nikon D5100 on Tuesday and I don't want to have a big stupid looking bag. I'll probably only be carrying around the body and a lens or two.

Something like this but not as big is what I am going for:

http://www.goincase.com/products/detail/ari-marcopoulos-camera-bag-cl58033

... minus the dumb signatures and such.

Maybe a Crumpler bag would suit?

Edit for more content:

I use a 5 million dollar home for the same thing as you: Body and a few lenses. It's slightly bigger than you need, but because of that it has plenty of room to stick the rest of the stuff in. I love being able to carry around all my stuff all organised into different sections with some extra dividers I bought :3: (I'm a bit odd that way..).

ruro fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Aug 16, 2011

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
If you could get a used 6MDH or a new ape case pro 2000 for about the same price, which would you go for? I currently have a dslr with grip and 3 lenses that I want to lug around with laptop, speedlite and the large gorillapod and will be buying new poo poo soon (including a 70-200mm and/or a 400mm).

More importantly I guess is the question of whether ape case is a decent brand or is it far behind the rumpler offerings. I am a little nervous about buying the used crumpler as I have no idea what a non-counterfeit one looks like.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

demonachizer posted:

More importantly I guess is the question of whether ape case is a decent brand or is it far behind the rumpler offerings. I am a little nervous about buying the used crumpler as I have no idea what a non-counterfeit one looks like.

The buckle is the key to spotting a fake Crumpler.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showpost.php?p=12577863&postcount=11

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

demonachizer posted:

If you could get a used 6MDH or a new ape case pro 2000 for about the same price, which would you go for? I currently have a dslr with grip and 3 lenses that I want to lug around with laptop, speedlite and the large gorillapod and will be buying new poo poo soon (including a 70-200mm and/or a 400mm).

That's a lot of stuff to carry in a 6MDH, let alone a 7MDH.

ruro
Apr 30, 2003

HPL posted:

That's a lot of stuff to carry in a 6MDH, let alone a 7MDH.
No kidding. I have trouble fitting a bit more than that into an 8MDH (A 70-400 takes up pretty much a third of the bag).

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Honest question, what are so many of you guys doing that you need your laptops to go with you? That just seems like a ton of extra bulk for most day-to-day shooting.

I suppose I can see it for travelling but that'd be about it.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Also, as much as I love messenger bags for camera gear, there is a practical limit to how much stuff to carry in one since it doesn't distribute the load like a backpack does. It's okay to carry a lot for a three or four hour assignment, but it's another thing to carry one all day.

nullfox
Aug 19, 2008
This is probably a very tall order but here goes...

I'm getting back into mountain biking and camping - with that there is a lot of nature, critters and random poo poo to take pictures of - as such, I'm looking for a new bag that can be my jack of all trades for mountain biking and daily use.

I need it to handle:
Canon T1i
3 lenses (Nifty 50, Kit 18-55mm & Sigma 70-220mm)
Slik Mini tripod
17" Macbook Pro
Water bladder (This is very optional)

I certainly don't plan on carrying a laptop while mountain biking, but I want to use it as my daily laptop carrier as well.

I saw some bags made by Clik but they don't seem to accommodate a laptop. Any suggestions?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
My backpack holds all my photo gear when I'm hiking and is an excellent general-purpose backpack, but is a pain in the rear end to deal with. Anyone have any suggestions for hip/shoulder sling pack things that would allow me to keep it on my side, and hold a Mamiya 645, several lenses, a Spotmatic, and maybe a tripod on the bottom or strap or something?

MOLLE PALS webbing would be a bonus for pouches to make me elite tactical but not too many things have that.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Got a Retrospective 20 for my birthday! It's pretty rad. Haven't loaded it up yet, so I'll have to see if I get away with the 10 instead of the 20, but this looks pretty great so far.

In related news, I may be selling a Speed Demon in the near future.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

WildFoxMedia posted:

This is probably a very tall order but here goes...

I'm getting back into mountain biking and camping - with that there is a lot of nature, critters and random poo poo to take pictures of - as such, I'm looking for a new bag that can be my jack of all trades for mountain biking and daily use.

I need it to handle:
Canon T1i
3 lenses (Nifty 50, Kit 18-55mm & Sigma 70-220mm)
Slik Mini tripod
17" Macbook Pro
Water bladder (This is very optional)

I certainly don't plan on carrying a laptop while mountain biking, but I want to use it as my daily laptop carrier as well.

I saw some bags made by Clik but they don't seem to accommodate a laptop. Any suggestions?

I bought this case logic backpack when amazon had it on sale and have been using it to cary my camera stuff and 15" macbook pro to work every day:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002DW99H8

It says it fits 17" Macbook Pro but I think it would be a pretty tight fit. It has velcro to customize the padded areas inside. The easy camera access feature is handy, and there are velcro strips that stop the zippers from opening all the way. It seems well made, is padded like crazy all over and very comfortable to wear. The bottom is rubberized so if you set it down your gear won't get wet.

Only thing is that if you load it up with camera stuff there isn't a whole lot of room for other items. Like there are pockets on the side you can stick your iPod or cell phone in, and a small pouch. If you want to carry anything else you have to find a cubby to cram it in with the lenses etc.

DKWildz
Jan 7, 2002
I just started a couple weeks ago, but after a few trips out and about I really found myself needing to work on transport. I already had a really comfortable backpack that can hold a bunch of stuff, and wanted to try and use it. On amazon I found this insert from Pacsafe.

Don't really have a lot of stuff to fill it up, but it's comfortable, so it should get the job done!

1 by dkwildz, on Flickr

2 by dkwildz, on Flickr

3 by dkwildz, on Flickr

4 by dkwildz, on Flickr

ruro
Apr 30, 2003

HPL posted:

Also, as much as I love messenger bags for camera gear, there is a practical limit to how much stuff to carry in one since it doesn't distribute the load like a backpack does. It's okay to carry a lot for a three or four hour assignment, but it's another thing to carry one all day.
I agree. I like them for smaller loads because I find it easier to get things out of a smaller messenger back than a similarly sized backpack. I use an 8MDH as my general storage bag though and it's brilliant. I use it when I want to carry everything with me in just one bag and then take out what I need:

Gear by iamduster, on Flickr

It fits all of that plus the NEX I took the photo with. If I were to start hiking more often I'd definitely get a backpack.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Selling my Think Tank Speed Demon on SA Mart. This was perfect for my T2i + Tammy 17-50 + 70-300, with room for plenty of other stuff. It did fit the T2i gripped, but it was a bit more of a squeeze. Great as a shoulder bag or waist pack.

I've upgraded my camera and now have two larger bags from Think Tank, so definitely don't need this one anymore.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
Question for guys with strobes, what cases do you recommend for 2or 3 alien bees, and a vegabond mini? Extra rom for reflectors and possibly an umbrella or two would be nice but I can make due without. Ease of movement (wheels and a handle) is important.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
I've come upon a problem to which I can't seem to think of a fair solution. I have recently purchased a 70-200 2.8 vr to go on my D700 primarily for air to ground photography. The vast majority of my shooting is done from a 2'4" wide cockpit, and with the control stick between my legs which needs complete freedom of movement that really doesn't leave much space.
I'm looking for a strap which is secure but will let me either sit it on my leg or keep it out of the way without feeling heavy or intrusive over maybe a 1-2 hr flight.
I'd rather something that could be kept on all the time especially as I often fly with the door / window open. Any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

Colonel K posted:

I've come upon a problem to which I can't seem to think of a fair solution. I have recently purchased a 70-200 2.8 vr to go on my D700 primarily for air to ground photography. The vast majority of my shooting is done from a 2'4" wide cockpit, and with the control stick between my legs which needs complete freedom of movement that really doesn't leave much space.
I'm looking for a strap which is secure but will let me either sit it on my leg or keep it out of the way without feeling heavy or intrusive over maybe a 1-2 hr flight.
I'd rather something that could be kept on all the time especially as I often fly with the door / window open. Any suggestions?

One of the Black Rapid r-straps?

• Locked thread