Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

There will probably be a dot-guide, but those are famously unreliable, as different production runs have different dot-codes. The best way to do it is to definitively ID a few you know you don't want via touch and go through a box discarding any of them, because within the same box at least you can be sure the dot-codes will match.

Same goes if you're looking for multiples of something - squeeze your way to one you know for sure, then just look for the dots that match it and grab as many as you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treetheheavy
Mar 28, 2005

S5 is at my Toys R Us now too. I grabbed two godzillas, a zookepper and the dwarf.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I went to TRU earlier and found my Sherlock pretty easily. I found a Godzilla dude too, but I didn't have enough on me (I was buying a 20 quid Transformer too).

I also spotted s4 and s5 minifigs at GAME today, too, but there were no prices on them. :(

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

The Puyallup TRU has two boxes on the shelf (well, a box and a half, after I was done). I stood there like a nerd for an hour feeling every damned one. I got 32, two complete sets (hopefully! Haven't opened them yet). They were marked $3.49, but rang up $2.99, so that was nice.
Cashier said I was the first person to get any today. They just got 'em off the truck this morning.

There were several easy feels, particularly the Egyptian Queen and the Detective if you could find the damned magnifying glass. I'll edit once I get them all opened.

Also, I went to Borders to see if they had any S4 left, but the bucket they had them in was nowhere to be seen. All the rest of the Lego was at 40% off, after their ~20% rear end in a top hat markup. Almost got Whitecap Bay, but it was marked up to $94 or so, so after the 40%, it was $23 off MSRP, less than 30%. I can wait for a better deal.

Here's some feeling tips, while I'm opening:

Clown: Feel for the round pie, and use your fingernail to check for a bumpy edge. Also, the hat has an even brim all the way around.
Godzilla: Feel for the tail, which is hard plastic, about 3cm long, and curved with a 90 degree neck piece. Tail also has large triangle spikes on the inner curve.
Graduate: Feel for squares. The diploma is a 2x2 tile and the cap is also square, slightly smaller than the tile.
Royal Guard: The hat. It's extremely obvious. Large, cylindrical and bumpy.
Gladiator: The helmet. It's very large and uniquely shaped. Feel for a helmet opening opposite a large sharp crest and three distinct curved ridges.
Egyptian Queen: The skirt, of course.
Dwarf Warrior: He has two large, bulky parts--the winged helmet and the hair/beard piece. It can be tough to separate out all the pieces to get a good feel; try to find the axe handle, which is unique in S5. The lumberjack's axe is longer and has an axehead attached. Also, the shield is small and round, and does not have a stud on it, unlike the Gladiator's shield.
Snowboarder: The snowboard curves up at both ends. The hat has no real brim and is smooth.
Lumberjack: The axe and hat. The axe is all one piece and it's easy to feel. The hat is also the only baseball cap, so feel for the bill.
Cavewoman: The only figure with squishy hair. Also, the club is distinctive: an indistinct lump with a stick on one end. The bone might also make it a quick find if it's at an edge.
Boxer: This one was tough for me. Feel for a torso, but with giant hands. The boxing gloves aren't held, they're actual hand replacements. Since it can be hard to tell if the hands are too big, the padded helmet feels like a helmet with two curved bits leading to an open front.
Gangster: Another tough one for me. I found him via the hat--a wide, even brim. The violin case is closed, but the shape can make it tough to distinguish it with the workout girl's boombox. There's also the pistol if it's at an edge.
Detective: The magnifying glass is very distinctive; a round raised rim with a lower lens. Also, the hat has bills in front and back, so you can distinguish it between the other hats.
Ice Fisher: The pole is a dead giveaway, but if it's wrapped up by the insert, the hood works. Feel for a round helmet with two holes separated by a solid chinstrap (whereas the boxer's openings aren't separated). One of the helmet's openings is also bumpy to a fingernail.
Zookeeper: Tough one for me. The banana's a giveaway if it's not wrapped in the insert, but the monkey was just too indistinct for me to tell what it really was. I guess feel for a lumpy mass like the cavewoman's club, but without the stick at one end.

So, here's my take:
Godzilla: 2
Boxer: 3
Zookeeper: 2
Gangster: 2
Ice Fisher: 2
Cavewoman: 3
Graduate: 2
Royal Guard: 2
Snowboarder: 2
Clown: 2
Gladiator: 2
Detective: 2
Lumberjack: 2
Dwarf Warrior: 2
Egyptian Queen: 2
Aerobics Girl: 0

I have no idea how I didn't get any Aerobics Girls. I must've confused the boomboxes for the gangster's violin cases and lost proper count. I specifically remember skipping the large, rather obvious 'farrah hair' in two packages because I thought I already had two I had identified via the boombox.
Closest I've ever come to two complete sets in one go after the barcodes went away, though!
I'll finish my double set once they show up at Fred Meyer. And maybe get a couple more Gladiators, too, since they're awesome.

Pyroclastic fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Aug 19, 2011

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009
Went to a 5below up in York while I was there for the day and they had 2 boxes of S4 and one of S5 at the register. Stood there going through them and told the cashier I'm gonna be a while. Got most of what I wanted, radioactive guy, royal guard and gladiator to name a few. Some how managed to get 2 nascar/racecar guys :(

The gladiator helmet is one of the best lego pieces I've ever seen.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Pyroclastic posted:

Detective: The magnifying glass is very distinctive; a round raised rim with a lower lens. Also, the hat has bills in front and back, so you can distinguish it between the other hats.

I confused the clown with the detective at first, because in the bag, the hats feel very similar. It was only when I was feeling for the glass that I realised he had a pie instead.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!
Guess I should get off my butt and finish my s4 collection.

Anyone have any spare s1's still? I missed out on them, I have 7 but I need the others to finish the set.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
So I started reading this thread and now I have made it up to date. Last week I had a few pounds left in my bank account so I figured I'd buy this. I was like a kid on Christmas morning when it arrived. The last time I had thought about Lego was when I purchased a Brickarms terrorist a few years ago. Last night I dug out my remaining tub of lego from being a kid and was surprised to find more minifigs than I expected, and sets I had totally forgotten about (though none complete).

I got paid today, so I thought 'you know what would be cool? more police for the helicopter guy to hang with'. So I ordered this, which in turn came in a deal with this, and then I figured adding this wouldn't hurt... Not too bad, you say.

Except when I was in town I went into the local Toymaster to look for minifigs and emerged with 3x S3, S4 and S5 AND this AND this - the latter two for £19.99 each.

This thread should come with a warning :argh:

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT
LEGO: Only Top Ramen Will Sustain You

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I've now opened my mixture of minifigs:

2x Skaters
1 x graduate
1 x sherlock
1 x indian
1 x race driver
1 x mummy
1 x eskimo
1 x hazmat guy

Maybe I'm being dumb but the eskimo's head piece doesnt seem to fit :downs:

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love
Scored on S5 at my local TRU.
Grabbed 10 without feeling and scored pretty well.
Got:
2 Palace Guards
2 Gangsters
2 Aerobics girls (boo)
Cave Girl
Lizard Man
Clown
Jane Goodall

toochilled
Apr 3, 2003
I grabbed 5 more blind today.

I now have 3 Dwarfs!
I guess they will help replace the Dwarf battle set I'm currently selling on eBay!

Also found the Harry potter Quidich set on Sale for £5, so I got 3 of them.
Not bad for a set with 5 minifigs.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Say what appeared to be most of a unitron monorail set at the fleemarket today, all the track was there, the vehicle itself as well with barely any pieces, so just the motor, battery box, and two ends, and a bunch of random half built space sets. Almost bought it for 40 euros, then decided to leave it. Kinda regretting it now, but oh well. Track alone probably would have sold for more, or I could have it drive around my desk all day.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

My girlfriend unironically offered to float me the money for a $7500 lego collection off craigslist. The only thing that stopped me, the only thing, was that we're about to get an apartment and wouldn't even come close to having the space.

I'm not sure if I'm going to regret passing that up for months to come or not...

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Torael_7 posted:

My girlfriend unironically offered to float me the money for a $7500 lego collection off craigslist. The only thing that stopped me, the only thing, was that we're about to get an apartment and wouldn't even come close to having the space.

I'm not sure if I'm going to regret passing that up for months to come or not...

Holy crap. Have a link to it?

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

http://denver.craigslist.org/tag/2541275061.html

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Jesus christ. That's not a Lego collection. That's a Lego obsession.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
Went to TRU today and got some S5. Grabbed six at random without feeling them; got most of what I wanted.
2 grads
1 jazzerciser
1 Sherlock
1 lumberjack
1 boxer

Need the gladiator, of course, and the lady with the monkey.

boner meter
Apr 27, 2006
I AM A SMUG ASSHOLE WHO BELIEVES IN RACIST PROPAGANDA. I DESERVE ONLY RIDICULE.
Went in blind for 3 because I told myself 'There are none I don't want'. The universe just had to prove me wrong with 3 graduates :(

Testro
May 2, 2009
Whereabouts in the world are you? I want a graduate, and can't decide whether to keep fumbling or do some swaps...

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I went to Asda today and decided to look for Lego. Couldn't see any minifig blister packs so I impulse bought the police minifig box and the dog handler unit. My amazon order has yet to arrive :D

Testro
May 2, 2009
Asda has been really good this week with its sales. I didn't manage to pick up the Quidditch set which was discounted, but I did get Freeing Dobby for £1.80 - and I've ordered Cannibal Escape from their Asda Direct site for £15.

I've never seen the minifig packs in there though; WHSmiths is the only place in town that I've found that has them.

boner meter
Apr 27, 2006

Testro posted:

Whereabouts in the world are you? I want a graduate, and can't decide whether to keep fumbling or do some swaps...

This was in Leicester, UK.

Testro
May 2, 2009
I've got a spare of the lumberjack or the detective, if you fancied switching one for a graduate?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

My local John Lewis had three s5 boxes out on display today.

Wheezer
Apr 4, 2011
I had no idea the Queen Anne's Revenge was massive. I also didn't think I'd ever see it at an affordable price, but I was wrong on both counts.

My local Toys'R'Us had a warehouse clearance sale and they marked 50% off all lego, including new sets - they had pretty much the complete lego range for sale and discounted. I didn't see any Mindstorm NXT:s left and stocks were dwindling rapidly, but I managed to snag the QAR and the Captain's Cabin kit for a total of 70 euro.

The cabin kit doesn't fit inside the actual cabin of the ship, it's too cramped, but the table and the globe can be put on the deck. Besides, the extra zombies and accessories are fun.

I had the 80's blue-sailed pirate ship as a kid, and now I have this to play together with my son with. Amazing details all around. It's all kinds of shiny new and nostalgic rolled in to one.

boner meter
Apr 27, 2006

Testro posted:

I've got a spare of the lumberjack or the detective, if you fancied switching one for a graduate?

I'd love a detective, but I don't know if the postage would be worth it for either of us. I think I'll just pick up some more in the week and try and feel for the ones I want. Thanks for the offer though!

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
So I went hunting round in my attic and found this. Currently attempting the build now, but it looks like there's a missing tower of pieces and a couple of minifigs short :(

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Wheezer posted:

I had no idea the Queen Anne's Revenge was massive. I also didn't think I'd ever see it at an affordable price, but I was wrong on both counts.

My local Toys'R'Us had a warehouse clearance sale and they marked 50% off all lego, including new sets - they had pretty much the complete lego range for sale and discounted. I didn't see any Mindstorm NXT:s left and stocks were dwindling rapidly, but I managed to snag the QAR and the Captain's Cabin kit for a total of 70 euro.

The cabin kit doesn't fit inside the actual cabin of the ship, it's too cramped, but the table and the globe can be put on the deck. Besides, the extra zombies and accessories are fun.

I had the 80's blue-sailed pirate ship as a kid, and now I have this to play together with my son with. Amazing details all around. It's all kinds of shiny new and nostalgic rolled in to one.

Which country?

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

SynthOrange posted:

Jesus christ. That's not a Lego collection. That's a Lego obsession.

Well, it IS 20 years worth of lego, to be fair. If I'd bought it I figure I'd probably wind up selling off quite a few of the collections...I'm not so interested in the modular city type stuff, for example.

Alas, storage.

At least I have a new desk to build on. 5 feet of work space, just in time for the super star destroyer. :woop:

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

Torael_7 posted:

Well, it IS 20 years worth of lego, to be fair. If I'd bought it I figure I'd probably wind up selling off quite a few of the collections...I'm not so interested in the modular city type stuff, for example.

Alas, storage.

At least I have a new desk to build on. 5 feet of work space, just in time for the super star destroyer. :woop:

I now, for the first time, see what use ipads and similar devices have.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

So I have all my bricks colour-sorted in various bins. Where do you break it down from there? Plates, bricks, 'special' parts (hinges, etc) and so on down?

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

The_Doctor posted:

So I have all my bricks colour-sorted in various bins. Where do you break it down from there? Plates, bricks, 'special' parts (hinges, etc) and so on down?

Most definitely. In fact, for the most part, I sort everything by brick type only. I think break that down by color only if it makes sense. For example, tiles. Thanks to PABs, I might have 50 2x2 red tiles, and then 25 of every other color. So I may as well seperate out all the red tiles.

I can't imagine that separating bricks by color first works very well. I'd think you're going to have a lot of trouble finding the kind of brick you want when everything just mixes into one color. Instead, I can just have one type of brick in a bin, and then I can instantly find the certain color I want.

I do have the basic bricks seperated into colors, though not by each. I didn't have the need to have EACH color seperated, so I paired two colors together. Like white and yellow, and blue and red.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

boner meter posted:

I want to spacebusify it. Space-Heads needs to be the next space theme.

We're probably not thinking of the same thing, but...

.. in Lego?

Oh. Hell. Yes.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

TremorX posted:

We're probably not thinking of the same thing, but...

.. in Lego?

Oh. Hell. Yes.

I would love an Alien Mindbender minifig

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
No, you have to make two cigars out of Lego and attach them to the sides. gently caress, it's even the same color as Pearl's spaceship.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Flavor Bear posted:

I now, for the first time, see what use ipads and similar devices have.

:confused:

Taking really bad pictures? Because that's what I took that picture with.

Revol posted:

Most definitely. In fact, for the most part, I sort everything by brick type only. I think break that down by color only if it makes sense. For example, tiles. Thanks to PABs, I might have 50 2x2 red tiles, and then 25 of every other color. So I may as well seperate out all the red tiles.

I can't imagine that separating bricks by color first works very well. I'd think you're going to have a lot of trouble finding the kind of brick you want when everything just mixes into one color. Instead, I can just have one type of brick in a bin, and then I can instantly find the certain color I want.

I do have the basic bricks seperated into colors, though not by each. I didn't have the need to have EACH color seperated, so I paired two colors together. Like white and yellow, and blue and red.

Gotta agree with this. I've been working on sorting mine (you can see it in the picture!) and going by type makes far more sense, and then (when I get more bins/more parts) I'll sort certain things (large plates or really common parts) by color.

CADPAT
Jul 23, 2004

For the men
to my left and right!
:hist101:

Torael_7 posted:

Taking really bad pictures? Because that's what I took that picture with.

I think he meant by having electronic copies of manuals and looking instructions/info up on Bricklink.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

That would be a good use for it, except the desk is a corner desk and my computer is on the other corner. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheezer
Apr 4, 2011

Ika posted:

Which country?

Finland, TRU Vantaa.