Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Dallan Invictus posted:

It should be steam://preload/28050, shouldn't it?

This... doesn't actually seem to do anything. Just opens up Steam like normal to the store frontpage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

404GoonNotFound posted:

The leak's load times were like 20 seconds on my laptop :smithicide:

Yeah mine were so long that I dreaded having to quickload. For reference, a map in Bad Company 2 will load on my computer in 5 seconds.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

404GoonNotFound posted:

This... doesn't actually seem to do anything. Just opens up Steam like normal to the store frontpage.

That method doesn't always work. This could just be one of the games it doesn't work for.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Concerning load times, how frequent are they? How much linear or square footage is in one load zone?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Do we have any early info comparing the console versions?

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

Concerning load times, how frequent are they? How much linear or square footage is in one load zone?

They're not very frequent at all and only really pop up when you're leaving for a mission or going into a building. So, for example, after you ship off to the first mission you don't see another load screen until you finish and leave.

I don't know about specific numbers, but the footage is pretty high. Not something to worry about, in any case.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

I said come in! posted:

That method doesn't always work. This could just be one of the games it doesn't work for.

It might also be because the appid 28050 doesn't actually reference anything. DX:HR should be 39170, but that isn't working for me right now either :geno:

EDIT: Or it does actually???? I don't understand. You're just a machine.

3 fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Aug 19, 2011

JSON Bourne
Jun 1, 2004

Dallan Invictus posted:

It should be steam://preload/28050, shouldn't it?

Preloading now thanks to this. I don't know how I'm going to wait another five days though.

JSON Bourne fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Aug 19, 2011

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug
steam://install/28050 is what did it for me (thanks, Zedd). Preloading, and it feels good. :3:
(Around 4 hours left to download because my internet is loving terrible, tho... luckily there's no rush)

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Samurai Sanders posted:

Each area is actually pretty large. Off the top of my head, there are only 7 distinct areas in the leak:
  • Sarif Industries
  • Sarif Factory
  • Detroit Hub (includes Derelict Row)
  • Jensen's apartment building
  • LIMB Clinic (smallest area in the game)
  • Police Station
  • Abandoned Factory and FEMA detainment center

So yeah, inside each area you'll see the occasional streaming icon on the top of your screen, but that's about it.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Tecman posted:

steam://install/28050 is what did it for me (thanks, Zedd). Preloading, and it feels good. :3:
(Around 4 hours left to download because my internet is loving terrible, tho... luckily there's no rush)

Do I just type this into the address bar in Firefox or what? I've tried it any nothing happens :(

JSON Bourne
Jun 1, 2004
Try running it from IE, that's what worked for me. It prompts you to launch the application associated with steam:// and then starts the preload.

OlMaster
May 12, 2008
I've tried steam://preload/28050 and steam://install/28050 in IE, Chrome and Firefox, getting nothing. I'm from the UK if that makes a difference.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Inspector_71 is a US goon, so I don't think regions are the problem.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

Kyle Hyde posted:

They're not very frequent at all and only really pop up when you're leaving for a mission or going into a building. So, for example, after you ship off to the first mission you don't see another load screen until you finish and leave.

I don't know about specific numbers, but the footage is pretty high. Not something to worry about, in any case.

Does this apply to consoles as well? If so, then this isn't a big deal at all.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

bloodysabbath posted:

Does this apply to consoles as well? If so, then this isn't a big deal at all.

It's unlikely the load times will be as kind for consoles.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I guess a more important question is how long the load time is when you reload the game after death.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

Samurai Sanders posted:

I guess a more important question is how long the load time is when you reload the game after death.

Oh my God, yes. This is what rendered Duke nearly unplayable for those not willing to grin and bear it.

I can't imagine this being that big of a deal, though. Square-Enix is basically putting out their most important title this side of FF7, and the frontrunner for Game of the Year. This isn't a rushed sudden-death patchwork ending to the industry's longest running joke, this is serious.

Can any of the devs who post in here comment briefly on load times for consoles? Or is that sort of thing NDA'd?

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Samurai Sanders posted:

I played a mission for like 45 minutes without seeing a load screen and I was crawling and sneaking and hacking and saved a bunch of people from a bomb or something. I didn't die however, so I dunno about the load screens. I didn't see any actually at the convention, I was just playing.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Rocketeer Korolev posted:

Deus Ex: Human Revolution is now available for pre-load on Steam!

It's 8.4 gigabytes, if you're wondering.

Still can't preload it on my end (Australia).

Not reading because I'm a dumbass, steam://install/28050 worked for me in Firefox. I might also add that I already had steam open, if that makes a difference to people who say it isn't working for them?

TheMostFrench fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Aug 19, 2011

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

It's as long as loading the level itself. I can't comment on consoles, but while the load times might be longer I see literally no reason why they would change where a loading screen pops up.

You never see a load time while walking down a hallway, for instance. It's always when interacting with a door to an interior cell or something similar.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Tecman posted:

Man, do I know that feeling. I'm not going to be done for a while but at least it's preloading now.

And for those of you who haven't started yet: if the game's already on your steam list, it should let you double click it to preload now.

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

Shlapintogan posted:

Man, do I know that feeling. I'm not going to be done for a while but at least it's preloading now.

And for those of you who haven't started yet: if the game's already on your steam list, it should let you double click it to preload now.

I had to restart steam, fwiw. That's probably common practice by now, but whatevs.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Kaklashnikov posted:

Try running it from IE, that's what worked for me. It prompts you to launch the application associated with steam:// and then starts the preload.

Yeah it just opens my Steam library and nothing happens. :sigh:

Using the /install/ one opens the main Steam window but it's just blank.

Intense
Mar 23, 2011
I guess those of us who are getting the PC collectors box won't be able to pre-load obviously,what a shame. I want to go to EB games and ask them if I can at least have the cd key for the copy once I pre order it.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Inspector_71 posted:

Yeah it just opens my Steam library and nothing happens. :sigh:

Using the /install/ one opens the main Steam window but it's just blank.

I already had my steam window open when I did it, so maybe just..try it again, if you haven't?

Reive
May 21, 2009

I said come in! posted:

The 360 version also apparently has pretty long load times, up to a minute. The PC version, the leak anyways, the load times were near instant.

Oh God no, no, no!

Please for the love of all that is good do not let my OCD ruin this game for me! :suicide:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I am now pre-loaded. This is going to be a long 5 days.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
There are a ton of trailers up, but I have a request for a specific one:

There was one with a robot talking and saying something about becoming human like everyone else? Looked like something from iRobot. It was probably a 2 minute trailer. What was the name of that one?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Avocadoes posted:

There are a ton of trailers up, but I have a request for a specific one:

There was one with a robot talking and saying something about becoming human like everyone else? Looked like something from iRobot. It was probably a 2 minute trailer. What was the name of that one?

I don't think that was for this game.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Are the 360 load times being mentioned off the disc, or when installed?

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Aug 19, 2011

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Dr. Stab posted:

I don't think that was for this game.

I just found the video to it, and you're right. Sorry about that. Embarrassing.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
Preloading at 90KB/s.

I didn't ask for this.

(Seriously thought I'd have fiber by now, god dammit.)

tank is raid leader O.K.
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck you say about the Emperor?

This game will unlock in approximately 5 days and 13 hours.

That makes it... Wednesday night, 11 pmish. (Aussie Goon here.)

I work night shift...

gently caress!

JSON Bourne
Jun 1, 2004

Avocadoes posted:

I just found the video to it, and you're right. Sorry about that. Embarrassing.

Were you thinking of the Johnny Walker commercial?

Intense
Mar 23, 2011
I might just get this on the 360 instead seeing how once I get to the store to get my copy for pc, go home and activate it on steam I'll have to wait for the whole thing to install it self, which shouldn't be that bad seeing how its only 8 something GB, but I refuse to wait even more. This game just looks too sexy.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!
The unlock time here says 4 days 3 hours which puts it around 12 am est on the Tuesday or 9 pm pst on the Monday. That is a good time.

Jenova Project
Aug 5, 2007

by Fistgrrl

19orFewer posted:

Not sure on the XBox but I played the PS3 version at Gamescom yesterday and I'll be avoiding that like some vile plague.

The control granularity was such that I could target to the left of an enemy's head or the right but even tiny stick nudges would just flip between the two. So an enemy in many places was impossible to hit from a stationary position (using cover etc) Using the PC version it felt like a properly designed game by comparison.

Vertigus posted:

This is basically why console FPS games have to use auto assist. You'll find the same problem in any console FPS.

You will always find this problem if you leave the control stick sensitivity at default. For some reason, it's aways abysmally low. Crank it up, and don't rest your first joint of your thumb on the stick. I know it's comfortable, but if you rest your fingertips there instead, you will have much, much better control. It takes a little getting used to since it's not the position your hands naturally fall into, but it's not a position that cramps your hand like The Claw you need for Monster Hunter.

Seriously, next time you use a controller, try it for a while. You will find FPS games much more responsive. And turn off that auto aim and be a man. Many games let you do it. Bioshock does, for example.

I said come in! posted:

The 360 version also apparently has pretty long load times, up to a minute. The PC version, the leak anyways, the load times were near instant.

Do the people reporting this have the game installed or are they running totally off the DVD? There are HUGE load time improvements if you can be assed to install a game before you play it. There are a very few exceptions to this, like Halo 3 (which Bungie says was optimized for disk play and actually has LONGER times when installed to disk.) Many people who complain on the internet didn't get a 360 with a hard drive for some Godawful reason. Fable 2 & 3 are UNBEARABLE run straight from the disk, L.A. Noire and Mass Effect 2 are pretty quick when installed. Those are all the games' load times I can think of at the moment.

Always install the games you're currently playing on your console if possible for best load times.

EDIT: drat you Aphrodite.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

dasbrooner posted:

This game will unlock in approximately 5 days and 13 hours.

That makes it... Wednesday night, 11 pmish. (Aussie Goon here.)

I work night shift...

gently caress!

Where do you see time to unlock? I can't find it and I wanna make sure my Steam ain't broke. Trying to run it just says "when the game is officially released you can play."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Capn Beeb posted:

Preloading at 90KB/s.

I didn't ask for this.

(Seriously thought I'd have fiber by now, god dammit.)

90kb/s? I'd stab a baby for 90kb/s. I'm downloading at 35kb/s. The stupid internet company keeps pushing back their fibre optic rollout for my area.

• Locked thread