Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

heyou posted:

How can I tell if a wall is load bearing? I'm thinking about taking down a wall on the second floor, because the bedroom that it creates is pretty tiny. Removing this L-shaped wall would create 3 usable bedrooms, and upstairs den/rec room area.

I'm not an expert, but I'm pretty sure you'll need an engineer to review the original plans. A building permit is going to most likely be required. It's possible that the wall is load bearing and there's a beam underneath it that allows for the open room underneath, or there was supposed to be a load bearing wall underneath it and it was removed during a renovation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Elijya posted:

The flush valve in one of my toilets is leaking because the flapper doesn't quite cover the top of the valve, which results in an annoying gurgle as it constantly drains and refills at a slow rate. The flapper doesn't seem replaceable, and changing the whole valve would be overkill. Does anyone know any home remedies for closing the very narrow (less than 1mm) gap between the flapper and valve opening? My plumbing experience is limited to replacing a bathtub faucet.

Flapper replacement kits are cheap as hell. Here's one guy's method for scuffing the mating surfaces between the flapper and the bottom gasket: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FOWj-J0wLU JBWeld, as mentioned by hayden, will also work.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe

hayden. posted:

I don't really care about the motor, the quieter the better. Sumps cost like $50 on amazon and I could just buy one of those and take it apart for the motor. Or there's this:

http://www.amazon.com/Electric-Centrifugal-Water-Pump-Garden/dp/B000CKFAZS/ref=sr_1_27?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1313538427&sr=1-27

but that may be one of those that require water for cooling

I think you should be ok with that motor. That controller I linked earlier is for max 2.5 amps so I think as long asyou don't go over that you should be ok. That would be a decent setup that will not bog down on your for about $50.

Pepperoneedy
Apr 27, 2007

Rockin' it

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I am trying to strip apart the chrome and porcelain off an vintage stove to have it refinished. It was pretty easy to disassembly most of it, except for one thing. It is similar to this:

http://retrorenovation.com/2009/08/13/stephanies-vintage-okeefe-and-merritt-stove/

The piece I am dealing with is that foldable stove cover. My model has two chrome knobs that pull in and out to lock the cover into different positions. It mounts through the frame into something springy on the inside. I can't figure out how to get the drat chrome bit off. They are looking a little bad so I wanted to add them to the things to get some more chrome.

I've attached an image, but it's real hard to see what's going on. If anybody replies for some more information about something to help figure this out, then I'll try in earnest to get a picture that way. It doesn't appear to be screwed in--with screws or bolts at least. I can't seem to just twist it off, but it could be caked on. Generally I'm at a spot where all I can think of doing is muscling twisting it off, but I get reluctant there since I could break it.

Edit: Guess I can't upload a file:

Edit: Guess I can upload one file, but here's another image:

Note that the second one shows it crooked. The apparatus inside now swings kind of feely after disconnecting it from the frame otherwise. Do not be alarmed...

I suspect that the knob may be pressed onto the bushing in the back, but without knowing the design it's only a shot in the dark. Is there a way you can photograph underneath that lip there to show the mechanism? You may be able to remove the whole arm/knob assembly and work on it from there.

Edit: there could also be a little tiny set screw holding that knob onto the shaft, somewhere underneath the knob, beneath the gunk. I can't say without better pictures.

Pepperoneedy fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Aug 18, 2011

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
Please help me, DIY goons! My daughter nurses with a supplemental nursing system (SNS), which uses a set of tiny capillary tubes on a flexible plastic circle. One of the tubes recently snapped off right at the base:

On the left there, there should be another tube, but instead there's a hole. I'm hoping somebody can offer me a recommendation for glue. It needs to be waterproof/watertight, adhere to plastic and be flexible. Is anyone able to help? Thanks in advance!

edit: vvvv It doesn't, sorry, should have added that we tried that. It pops out after a bit. It doesn't seem to bond as tightly as we would need it to, either that or it's not flexible enough.

Fire In The Disco fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Aug 18, 2011

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe
Id see if hot glue doesn't work

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

You can get food safe silicon sealant, its expensive but you'll only need a tiny amount. Search medical supply sites, I think.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
Thank you, I will check that out! :)

Soup in a Bag
Dec 4, 2009

Cakefool posted:

You can get food safe silicon sealant, its expensive but you'll only need a tiny amount. Search medical supply sites, I think.

Lowe's/Home Depot/Ace will have silicone sealant meant for aquariums that's also food/microwave/dishwasher safe. Something like this. Not too expensive either.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

That is a much better idea, do that.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
Anyone know what happened to forum member Socratic Moon and his yoga thing he was building in Hawaii? The domain for it doesn't work anymore and I don't see anything on Google.

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009
Hey goons, I'm carving a pipe and I need to know what kind of finish to use on it. Is there a specific brand of food/smoke safe finish I should use on it?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Grape Juice Vampire posted:

Hey goons, I'm carving a pipe and I need to know what kind of finish to use on it. Is there a specific brand of food/smoke safe finish I should use on it?
Beeswax.

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009

GWBBQ posted:

Beeswax.

Thank ya kindly.

dwoloz
Oct 20, 2004

Uh uh fool, step back

heyou posted:

How can I tell if a wall is load bearing? I'm thinking about taking down a wall on the second floor, because the bedroom that it creates is pretty tiny. Removing this L-shaped wall would create 3 usable bedrooms, and upstairs den/rec room area. Here's a rough sketch of what the floor plan looks like:

(Not to scale, a twin bed barely fits in the L-shaped room)

I want to remove the wall marked in red. How do I tell if it is load bearing? This is on the second floor, below this is entirely open with no interior walls. The room on the first floor below this is 24'X20', and has no interior walls or columns. On the first floor, from the stairs forward is entirely open. I'd assume that because there aren't any walls below this on the first floor, that this wall is not load bearing, but I'm going to make certain before I do anything. House was built in 1900, and was remodeled at some point, all walls are drywall.

Its not easy to determine if a wall is load bearing (unless you have the architects plans in front of you)
Openings in load bearing walls (windows and doorways) will have a load bearing header across it, non load bearing walls should not (key word being "should" since some bonehead builders put headers on EVERY opening even if not required).
An even better way would be to go into the attic and analyze the framing and find where the load paths travel to.
If you're unsure and don't want to risk your house, I'd have a professional look at the situation.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

hayden. posted:

Anyone know what happened to forum member Socratic Moon and his yoga thing he was building in Hawaii? The domain for it doesn't work anymore and I don't see anything on Google.

He's still on SA and posting. I don't know if he accepts PM's but last I read he sold the land off to a Tibetan temple or some such thing and is off doing other things now.

Lesson learned - in Goon Survivor Island, the Island wins in the end.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

Soup in a Bag posted:

Lowe's/Home Depot/Ace will have silicone sealant meant for aquariums that's also food/microwave/dishwasher safe. Something like this. Not too expensive either.

Thank you SO MUCH for this recommendation. I was skeptical at first because it didn't seem to be adhering, but I let it cure for the 24 hours recommended on the package, and it is PERFECT! It's watertight and flexible and my daughter's SNS works again and doesn't leak! Thank you again! :)

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Grave $avings posted:

I suspect that the knob may be pressed onto the bushing in the back, but without knowing the design it's only a shot in the dark. Is there a way you can photograph underneath that lip there to show the mechanism? You may be able to remove the whole arm/knob assembly and work on it from there.

Edit: there could also be a little tiny set screw holding that knob onto the shaft, somewhere underneath the knob, beneath the gunk. I can't say without better pictures.

FWIW I cleaned the crap out of the knob and it looks okay now so I might not need to take it off and have it rechromed anyways. The porcelein in the frame needs some touching up but we're going to see if they can do that without having that stuff removed.

I can't think of a good way to get a picture underneath there. Heck it's hard enough for me to look underneath. What I see are basically two bumps. From what I can tell, they're not screws.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

This may be a longshot -- Does anyone know what kind of tape is used to hold various parts of an electronic product from moving during shipment? For example, a printer might have this tape holding the ink cartridges in place and holding the cover closed. The "remove before use" tape. It doesn't rip easily, doesn't stick too much, and removes cleanly without residue.

dwoloz
Oct 20, 2004

Uh uh fool, step back

taqueso posted:

This may be a longshot -- Does anyone know what kind of tape is used to hold various parts of an electronic product from moving during shipment? For example, a printer might have this tape holding the ink cartridges in place and holding the cover closed. The "remove before use" tape. It doesn't rip easily, doesn't stick too much, and removes cleanly without residue.
Search for fiber reinforced adhesive tapes

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

So I have been using a grout remover with the plan of redoing the grout in one of my bathrooms since it needed to be done. I don't really have the money to spend on re-tiling but I do need to at least have a proper barrier against moisture so the bathroom can be used. It seems that grout has been the only thing holding some of this stuff in place.

How can I fix this? What do I need to level out the poo poo/cement board underneath?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

dwoloz posted:

Search for fiber reinforced adhesive tapes

The tape I'm thinking of doesn't look like the results for that search. No embedded fibers, or at least the fibers aren't visible.

Pepperoneedy
Apr 27, 2007

Rockin' it

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

FWIW I cleaned the crap out of the knob and it looks okay now so I might not need to take it off and have it rechromed anyways. The porcelein in the frame needs some touching up but we're going to see if they can do that without having that stuff removed.

I can't think of a good way to get a picture underneath there. Heck it's hard enough for me to look underneath. What I see are basically two bumps. From what I can tell, they're not screws.

Sounds like it's pressed on then, too bad. Good luck with the restoration!

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Totally TWISTED posted:

So I have been using a grout remover with the plan of redoing the grout in one of my bathrooms since it needed to be done. I don't really have the money to spend on re-tiling but I do need to at least have a proper barrier against moisture so the bathroom can be used. It seems that grout has been the only thing holding some of this stuff in place.

How can I fix this? What do I need to level out the poo poo/cement board underneath?

That looks from here like a wet bed installation, not Wonderboard/Hardiebacker

In either case, if you want to sorta keep it limping along for awhile without replacing the entire floor, pop up as many of the loose tiles as you can. Then, scrape or chip off the adhesive on the back of the tile (or buy new tile, which, while clean, probably won't match...unless that's just white tile in need of a cleaning)

You can then reset the tile using just grout (instead of mastic) as an adhesive and as a leveller. You can butter the grout on the back of each tile & press 'em in. If you load 'em up good, excess grout will squish up through the gaps and you can install & grout in one step.

The marble threshold is shot. They're less than $20 at Lowe's or HD, you just have to get it cut down to the correct width if you don't have access to a wet saw. I replaced my floor in late June, and bedded the threshold with grout.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

taqueso posted:

This may be a longshot -- Does anyone know what kind of tape is used to hold various parts of an electronic product from moving during shipment?

I'm not sure but it looks a lot like 3M #471 Vinyl tape: http://www.3m.com/product/information/Vinyl-Tape.html

That stuff is sold for marine painting applications and loads of other things. The strapping tape that was mentioned earlier *is* used for some parts but it's not what you were describing.

You'll want the thinner density tape to match what you're doing.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
Hey goooons, it seems that I have lost alot of hot water pressure randomly. Yesterday I went to take a shower and the water was not forcefully coming out of my shower head. I also noticed when the washing machine is filling up with warm/hot water it takes alot longer. I live in a condo with some other units and I haven't asked them if they are having problems.

But where do I even begin?

fyallm fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Aug 22, 2011

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

First, ask if anyone else is having problems. If they are, building problem, not yours.

If it is your problem, determine if it's just hot or also cold feeds having problems. Hot alone meant an issue with your heater, cold also means the main feed into your place is restricted.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Cakefool posted:

First, ask if anyone else is having problems. If they are, building problem, not yours.

If it is your problem, determine if it's just hot or also cold feeds having problems. Hot alone meant an issue with your heater, cold also means the main feed into your place is restricted.

It's been weird, ever since I have started having this problem it seems like everyone disappeared, but I put up a sign asking if anyone is experiencing problems.

It seems to just be hot water, so I'm guessing it is something with my Water Heater, but not sure what. It doesn't seem to be leaking anywhere on the ground.

heyou
Dec 30, 2004
Mr. Green....Gesundheit.

dwoloz posted:

Its not easy to determine if a wall is load bearing (unless you have the architects plans in front of you)
Openings in load bearing walls (windows and doorways) will have a load bearing header across it, non load bearing walls should not (key word being "should" since some bonehead builders put headers on EVERY opening even if not required).
An even better way would be to go into the attic and analyze the framing and find where the load paths travel to.
If you're unsure and don't want to risk your house, I'd have a professional look at the situation.

Okay, I'm trying to find someone to take a look. Am I looking for an engineer or is this something a contractor could tell me? Anyone have a good resource for finding a good contractor/engineer?

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

I'd check with the department of professional and occupational regulation (dpor) for your state. They do all that stuff. I am pretty sure that if you get anybody other than a licensed professional engineer to evaluate it, and it falls over, you are liable for it. If you get an engineer to sign off on it, and a contractor to do it, and your house collapses you can sue them for damages whereas if you gently caress it up yourself youre on the hook.

All that licensing stuff is basically just so you have somebody to sue. By sealing drawings engineers are saying 'this will do what I have designed it to do if built exactly as I have said using the materials I have specified and if it does not then I'll pay for any damages related to it loving up'.

At least that's my understanding. I could be wrong.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I'm trying to figure out where to put the center speaker for my setup, and am thinking of making a speaker stand for it.

This is what we're using for our entertainment center (just laying on its side):

The shelves are too small for the center speaker and the unit itself is too narrow for the speaker to sit right in front of the TV. I'm thinking of making a simple stand so that the speaker is right above the TV. I'd wall mount it, but we're in an apartment and want as few holes as possible.
The speaker is only about five pounds. Would a 1" or 2" wooden dowel with a mount or a flat piece to set the speaker on work? I'd most likely attach the dowel to the TV stand for stability. I'd of course, paint it to color match.
I'm open to other suggestions, as well.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

CuddleChunks posted:

I'm not sure but it looks a lot like 3M #471 Vinyl tape: http://www.3m.com/product/information/Vinyl-Tape.html

That stuff is sold for marine painting applications and loads of other things. The strapping tape that was mentioned earlier *is* used for some parts but it's not what you were describing.

You'll want the thinner density tape to match what you're doing.

Any idea how the adhesive on that tape is for removability and no residue after sitting for a few years?

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
So I broke a couple of kitchen tiles, and since the old owners were the ones that put it in, I have no idea what kind of tile it is. Is there some kind of secret way to finding an exact match, or will I just have to bring part of a piece with me and shop around to find something satisfactory?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Cosmik Debris posted:

I'd check with the department of professional and occupational regulation (dpor) for your state. They do all that stuff. I am pretty sure that if you get anybody other than a licensed professional engineer to evaluate it, and it falls over, you are liable for it. If you get an engineer to sign off on it, and a contractor to do it, and your house collapses you can sue them for damages whereas if you gently caress it up yourself youre on the hook.

All that licensing stuff is basically just so you have somebody to sue. By sealing drawings engineers are saying 'this will do what I have designed it to do if built exactly as I have said using the materials I have specified and if it does not then I'll pay for any damages related to it loving up'.

At least that's my understanding. I could be wrong.
That's pretty much spot-on. (I'm a licensed PE, btw.) I'd recommend using your local yellow pages to find an engineering firm. Engineering unfortunately isn't cheap, though, so you can expect to pay a couple hundred bucks for even the simplest answer. What you're really paying for, though, is liability and peace of mind. It's worth it in a lot of cases to have a specialist on-hand.

Fortunately, there are few things in residential construction that need formal engineering, and nearly any competent contractor should be able to look at it and tell you if it's structural or not, and what your options are to take out the wall. Again, ensure they're licensed and insured!

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Bank posted:

So I broke a couple of kitchen tiles, and since the old owners were the ones that put it in, I have no idea what kind of tile it is. Is there some kind of secret way to finding an exact match, or will I just have to bring part of a piece with me and shop around to find something satisfactory?

There's a company called ITEL http://www.itelinc.com/ that could probably find out what they are, and if they're still available. I've never paid for this service (I am an insurance adjuster), so I'm not sure what it would cost...although with UPS shipping & testing it should be less than $100.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
My wife wants me to seal the faucet in our bathroom to the porcelain sink. I know that there is plumber's putty between the faucet and sink, but is there something I could put around the interface on the outside? Maybe some sort of clear sealant?

Also, is there a caulking that people recommend for showers? The caulking recently disintegrated on our marble shower underneath the door, I figured it would be a good thing if I re-caulked it.

You guys are awesome, btw, I love lurking this thread.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Should I be concerned about this water heater control? It wasn't like this last time I looked at it.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

If this image is even remotely to scale, there is insanely low chance that ANY of those interior walls are load bearing.

You could take a few pictures and get some measurements in here. If you have access to an open attic above it, take a pic of that too.

If in doubt, start your demolition by removing plaster/drywall without breaking the framing. Once the framing is exposed, you should be able to see clearly. Even if any of those walls carry weight, the worse you'll ever end up with is a soffit where your new support header is. The walls will be gone, that's for sure.

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Aug 23, 2011

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

eddiewalker posted:

Should I be concerned about this water heater control? It wasn't like this last time I looked at it.

Shut it off. Now. The ring under there ain't burning right. You may also have debris/dustballs/fried mice etc in there. You may also have a blocked flue line. Been experiencing lots of headaches latelty?

That regulator's now dangerous, and should be replaced. If the water heater's more than five years old, it would be better to replace it entirely. Which will run you $500-$800 if you don't DIY. Water heaters got expensive in the past five years. A 40-gal gas unit used to be less than $200 for a low-end. Now, they're closer to $450.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Aug 23, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

taqueso posted:

Any idea how the adhesive on that tape is for removability and no residue after sitting for a few years?

No idea. I think 3M has a support line where you can pose your adhesive scenario for them and they can recommend a product. I may be hallucinating due to glue fumes, I but I think they have some kind of phone support like that.