Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

KnoxZone posted:

An elite Nekekami commando once challenged an unarmored Elemental to a swordfight.

The Elemental won.

That said, the elemental basically won because he had so much flesh to cut through the commando's killing blow didn't hit anything vital.

They should have just hit him with the poison ninja stars like they did all the bodyguards. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LegioPraetoria
Jul 20, 2006

Strikeout!

Zaodai posted:

That said, the elemental basically won because he had so much flesh to cut through the commando's killing blow didn't hit anything vital.

They should have just hit him with the poison ninja stars like they did all the bodyguards. :(

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the elemental's leg get almost shorn off? As in, there would have been a femoral artery bleedout and death within moments, except he was then loaded into an elemental suit that jacked him all up with ClanDrugs and made him all better? Am I totally imagining this?

This is all just to say that it shoulda been a draw.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"
I didn't say you'd have good odds against an Elemental, just odds. Better odds than you'd have in your 'mech versus the elemental and his buddies in their armor, anyway, and certainly better odds than you'd have in a straight fight with a Clan MechWarrior in his 'Mech.

Besides, the key is to not let them bid Elementals. Call out the Clanner you want to cut the head off of by name (if possible; if not, by his 'mech, at least,) and tell him that you want to see him, on the ground, in a burning circle of trees, with swords. Sure, he could refuse, but his buddies would all call him out as a coward afraid of a barbarian with a sharpened stick. And once you've done one or two of them that way, they'll be seeking the glory of killing you on your terms.

(Circle of trees may not be strictly speaking necessary.)

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

WolfhoundFC posted:

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Bjarred#Operation_Bulldog_and_Return_Combine_Rule

So, not exactly a glory bid, just a roll-over-and-die-honourably bid, by my reading.

More or less. You have to remember that Clan Nova Cat had, in the canon universe, a severe case of Star League worship. When the Inner Sphere houses recreated a new Star League the Nova Cats switched sides and the way they did it was by arranging to lose ridiculous "challenges" like the rigged coin toss one.

This way the Cats could say "Sorry, we lost a Trial of Possession fair and square" without mentioning that the trial was total bullshit.

Usual Barb
Aug 27, 2005

pop it and lock it
In a straight up fight, any mech faster than 2/3 will beat a point of elementals almost every time.

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

I didn't say you'd have good odds against an Elemental, just odds. Better odds than you'd have in your 'mech versus the elemental and his buddies in their armor, anyway

What I was responding to, for clarity.

Usual Barb fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Aug 19, 2011

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Xmas Future posted:

In a straight up fight, any mech faster than 2/3 will beat a point of elementals almost every time.

I think I've highlighted the important part of this statement.

Clanners might have a stick up their rear end about honor but they're not afraid to leverage all the advantages they have within those bounds of honor. Their whole society revolves around the worship of individual skill, and fighting smart falls under that.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

KnoxZone posted:

An elite Nekekami commando once challenged an unarmored Elemental to a swordfight.

The Elemental won.
To be fair, Victor Steiner-Davion killed a certain Il-Khan with one.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Arquinsiel posted:

Wasn't a swordfight per-se in that case, and it was the same Elemental.

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

I know its super dooper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches

Arquinsiel posted:

It's the same one, not a month after the "Almost severed leg" incident.

C2
R3
T4

elitebuster fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Aug 19, 2011

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Aaaargh, I told you we should've gone after the nuked, abandoned ruins, not the heavily defended castle brian! GOONS!!

C2
R3
T5

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Gimmick Account posted:

Aaaargh, I told you we should've gone after the nuked, abandoned ruins, not the heavily defended castle brian! GOONS!!

Not their fault that Awesome's are awesome :smug:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

KnoxZone posted:

Hmm... That's some good copy right there! Tell me, son, you ever worked in advertising?

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

KnoxZone posted:

God, sometimes I wish this was a computer game where I could play in parallel and pick the 'better' decisions or refloat scenarios whenever I :argh:STRONGLY DISAGREE:argh: with the course of the LP.*

Yeah, Lyran supporter here. I'm still bitter about that last-second-defeat at Somerset, and now this! GOONS!!

*I think I did that with Alpha Protocol.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Defiance Industries posted:

Minobu Tetsuhara (PTN, please tell me he's still alive, since there's no Dragoons!)

I'm glad somebody finally remembered him. :mmmhmm:

... Anyway, I do think I should mention: I have never in the past changed a vote once made. It's not that changing my spreadsheets would be a pain in the rear end, or that I'm too lazy to do so (yes I am); but if you don't have a good reason to vote for something you should wait and let people make arguments before you vote.

I'm not trying to be an rear end in a top hat or anything (I really am just too lazy to go back and hunt down a half-dozen people's names just because they decided to change their minds). Things are still really close, and that's fun. Will Clovis and Jenna achieve a GoodEnd (tm)? Will Takashi Kurita make a choice that will save his nation? How badly has ComStar cocked up this time? These questions will be answered soon.

Needless to say, I have plans for (mostly) all contingencies. I'll probably be closing the vote here pretty soon-ish so I can tally votes and start writing.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Aug 19, 2011

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Is he still with the 2nd Sword of Light? Cause, if he is... He and Yorinaga Kurita, possibly in the same lance? Sheeeeeit. Caesar's Legion might not have won that fight on Kessel with them around.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Needless to say, I have plans for (mostly) all contingencies. I'll probably be closing the vote here pretty soon-ish so I can tally votes and start writing.

If there's anything I've learned in my time as a DnD DM, it's that keeping the players unable to tell the difference between genuine planned contingencies and winging it is actually pretty easy. So long as things stay awesome and/or interesting, which I have no doubt you'll keep up with ease, most folks won't think to question whether you actually thought ahead or are making it up as you all go along.

Let's face it: this really is a BattleTech PbP game.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

The Combine have vibrokatana right? challenge the clanners to an unaugmented fight with them, they are better sword fighters and one hit is all you are going to need with a sword that can peel through battle armor like swiss cheese.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Combine Mechwarriors tend to be physically superior to a normal human, too, what with all their focus on being Samurai, complete with sword arts and physical fitness and such.

I am so getting echoes of the 'katana/masterwork bastard sword' meme here.

One is a man who has trained in duels and the piloting of large robots.

The other is an eight foot tall, 450 pound man-mountain who has been trained to destroy large robots with his bare hands.

gently caress swords, these are guys who eat shotgun blasts and shrug it off.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Tempest_56 posted:

You mean this one:

quote:

That's it. I'm sick of all this "LosTech PPC" bullshit that's going on in the Clan systems right now. ERPPCs deserve much better than that. Much, much better than that.

I should know what I'm talking about. I myself commissioned a genuine ERPPC in Hesperus II for 300,000 C-Bills (that's about BV412) and have been practicing with it for almost 2 years now. I can even destroy an Assault Mech with my ERPPC.

Defiance Industries spend years working on a single ERPPC and add up to a million coils to produce the finest energy weapons known to mankind. ERPPCs are thrice as long-ranged as Inner Sphere ones and thrice as powerful for that matter too. Anything a PPC can cut through, a ERPPC can cut through better. I'm pretty sure a ERPPC could easily bisect a AS7-D wearing CASE with a simple CT critical.

Ever wonder why the freebirth scum never bothered conquering Clan Jade Falcon? That's right, they were too scared to fight the disciplined Masakaris and their ERPPCs of destruction. Even in the Civil War, Inner Sphere soldiers targeted the mechs with the ERPPCs first because their killing power was feared and respected.

So what am I saying? ERPPCs are simply the best energy weapon that the world has ever seen, and thus, require better stats in the Clan systems. Here is the stat block I propose for ERPPCs:

(Clan Energy Weapon, Level 2) 40 Damage, Range 10/20/30/40, +2 to Hit at all ranges, 1 Heat

Now that seems a lot more representative of the cutting power of ERPPCs in real life, don't you think? tl;dr = ERPPCs need to do more damage on Clan Omnimechs, see my new stat block.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Tempest_56 posted:

The other is an eight foot tall, 450 pound man-mountain who has been trained to destroy large robots with his bare hands.

Except the combine have vibrokatana, which are weapons that can carve through battlemech armor, elemental armor, any armor you want.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

AtomikKrab posted:

Except the combine have vibrokatana, which are weapons that can carve through battlemech armor, elemental armor, any armor you want.

This is true, in one of the books a bunch of DEST commandos raid a Clan warship and impale/behead elementals in full armor with vibrokatanas. To be fair the DEST troopers are in powered armor as well (I think, I can't remember if the Kage suit augments strength or not)

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Aug 19, 2011

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Angry_Ed posted:

This is true, in one of the books a bunch of DEST commandos raid a Clan warship and impale/behead elementals in full armor with vibrokatanas. To be fair the DEST troopers are in powered armor as well (I think, I can't remember if the Kage suit augments strength or not)

THE 1980S IN SPAAAAACEEEE

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

Tempest_56 posted:

First off, BTech is the '80s in space, so the same physics that says falling can cause damage but a goddamned 155 howitzer can't says that Katanas are Just Better.

Second off, I am not saying that a Combine Samurai has a good chance against an Elemental with a sword. I'm saying he has a good chance against a Clan MechWarrior with a sword. (To say nothing of a Clan AeroSpace Warrior. I'd love to see that; two warriors in mag-boots on the hull of a dropship with katanas.) Far better than he'd have a chance against the MechWarrior in his 'mech.

Third, Clan Elementals are not Space Marines. They're eugenically bred to be the biggest and the toughest humans can be, but they are, fundamentally, still human. They're not superhumans. There are regular humans, from the Sphere, whom the genetic lottery has granted with size, strength and agility similar to what a Clan Elemental has.

Don't think of a Clan Elemental as being a WH40K Space Marine, think of each and every one of them as being Andre the Giant born and bred in Ghengis Khan's armies and as ruthless as the man himself. They are extremely powerful, fast, and deadly, pinnacle specimens of humanity... But they are not supermen. A shotgun blast to the chest will, in fact, penetrate, because they don't have a sternum made of carbon-ceramic armor, and it will kill them if it hit the right spot, because it just annihilated their heart, and they don't have a spare. Blood no longer flows to their brains, and they have maybe a couple fistfuls of seconds to act before their oxygen-staved brains go into shutdown mode like the rest of ours, and maybe a minute before they start to suffer permanent neurological damage.

Elementals are terrifying because of their armor. Out of it, with equal weapons, a trained fighter stands a chance. Not a good chance, but it's not impossible. Old-fashioned guns will put them down if they don't have their armor that can survive a 'mech weapon hit on.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

I'm glad somebody finally remembered him. :mmmhmm:

Wait, let me see if I remember him. Worked with Wolf's Dragoons for a book, did some really epic poo poo, uttered the line "Tonight, we dine in the enemy's commissary," and ultimately was forced because of his honor being divided between his lord and not being a dirty bastard to commit seppuku. Jamie Wolf was his second, and shot him in the brainpan after he cut his guts open.

He was generally an awesome, epic protagonist, and was killed by bastardry... And in this timeline, is in the prime of his life and is poised to wreck Clanner poo poo.

We have to have this guy dueling with Clanners!

Usual Barb
Aug 27, 2005

pop it and lock it

Angry_Ed posted:

I don't think there are any strength-boosting battle armours until you get to myomer boosters in the 3070s.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
They all have strength boosting abilities if only by virtue of being made to carry mech-scale weaponry.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
If things are that close, I guess I'll cast my vote.

C2, R4, T4

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

All battle armors boost strength. It is powered armor after all.

Usual Barb
Aug 27, 2005

pop it and lock it
Ah, right, my bad. I was thinking of it in game terms, myomer boosters give a bonus to running speed and anti-mech attacks.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Gothsheep posted:

If things are that close, I guess I'll cast my vote.

C2, R3, T4

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

W.T. Fits posted:

You mean this one:
:words:
:golfclap: and, dare I say it?

:master:

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Second off, I am not saying that a Combine Samurai has a good chance against an Elemental with a sword. I'm saying he has a good chance against a Clan MechWarrior with a sword. (To say nothing of a Clan AeroSpace Warrior. I'd love to see that; two warriors in mag-boots on the hull of a dropship with katanas.) Far better than he'd have a chance against the MechWarrior in his 'mech.
Just so you know dude, every mechwarrior has a degree of infantry training and that does include basic hand-to-hand. It's just that the Clanners have a tendancy to solve all minor disputes as children with said training whereas the IS pilots.... don't. The Dracs aren't particularly competant compared to any other faction outside their mechs (and were, in fact, significantly worse IN them in 3025) as a faction, it's just that the officers carry swords just like WWII Japanese officers did. Heck, Christopher Lee was trained in sword use by the military, but I still wouldn't fancy his chances against an Elemental (unless he can use force lightning).

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Arquinsiel posted:

:golfclap: and, dare I say it?

:master:
Just so you know dude, every mechwarrior has a degree of infantry training and that does include basic hand-to-hand. It's just that the Clanners have a tendancy to solve all minor disputes as children with said training whereas the IS pilots.... don't. The Dracs aren't particularly competant compared to any other faction outside their mechs (and were, in fact, significantly worse IN them in 3025) as a faction, it's just that the officers carry swords just like WWII Japanese officers did. Heck, Christopher Lee was trained in sword use by the military, but I still wouldn't fancy his chances against an Elemental (unless he can use force lightning).

On the hand, Christopher Lee circa WWII (As opposed to his ancient rear end current self) was apparently involved in some pretty cool things. Maybe he'd have a shot.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

There is actually one Elemental, mentioned in a field manual, who is the size of a Space Marine. You know, 9 feet tall and 750 pounds.

Rather than making him unstoppable or something, he is in constant pain that not even Clan painkillers can take care of, and his basketball-sized heart is running itself into the ground trying to keep him alive. Scientists gave him no more than another 3 years to live from the time of the writing, so he fights suicidally every time he enters combat.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

the JJ posted:

On the hand, Christopher Lee circa WWII (As opposed to his ancient rear end current self) was apparently involved in some pretty cool things. Maybe he'd have a shot.
As badass as the real-world inspiration for James Bond was in his day, swords are still a sort of chancy weapon. Depends on what type you're using, but they aren't automatic win-buttons in the same way a gun at 10 feet is.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

A gun isn't either, depending on the round and the person using it.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
C2
R3
T5

Want some Yakuza party times.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
I thought some guy who saved some Norweigans while serving with Ian Flemming was the inspiration for james bond? Okay it appears man+dog is the inspiration for bond - I'd still love to know what Christopher did with the SOE though.

I doubt Lee would use a sword though, a knife in the back (or more realistically an entrenching tool in the back of the head) seems like a more likely prossibility.

Which reminds me, in the Battletech fluff, why don't people send a bunch of commandos around to wherever the other guy does his mech repairs and kill as many of the logistics guys as possible literally every time there is a fight? This would seem to be a fairly low impact way of disabling the capability without trashing the equipment.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Arquinsiel posted:

As badass as the real-world inspiration for James Bond was in his day, swords are still a sort of chancy weapon. Depends on what type you're using, but they aren't automatic win-buttons in the same way a gun at 10 feet is.

If one guy has the sword and the other doesn't? I don't think that ends well for the unarmed guy.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Mostly because it wouldn't make for a good story. If you need an in-universe reason, none of the rulers want to be the guy who took a world by valiantly machine gunning unarmed non-combatants and stealing their rides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
This whole conversation is kinda silly and will get us nowheres.

Let us talk about Justin Xiang Allard and whatever nefarious awesome plot he is hatching that involves the Highlanders.

• Locked thread