Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Looking at this thread I can see Big Brother has been a massive success.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
From Dragon Quest to Big Brother, so much for Jedward...

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.

Brown Moses posted:

Looking at this thread I can see Big Brother has been a massive success.

When Jedward are the biggest celebrities in the house you know the show has reached its lowest point.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Jedward and Kerry are the only ones I've even heard of, and they're bottom-of-the-barrel as far as "celebrity" goes...

Cyriptix
Nov 19, 2004

meep
Ugh, secret challenges. Same house, same D-list celebrities, same boring old tasks. Shame really, I was hoping this would be a grand reinvention of the format :(

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
That model guy wouldn't be out of place on the regular series.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

JEDWARD!!! :argh:

e: Beyond that, I didn't really have a reaction. I fast-forwarded through most of it.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
I just had a look at the contestants. Who even thinks of offering Celebrity Big Brother to the wife of the Speaker of the house of commons? John Bercow is one of the scummiest, fascist, tax-dodging criminal politicians in the country as well, I hope she got booed.

I could have sworn Jedward had been on Big Brother before, this sort of thing is their bread and butter.

Tara Reid is still pretty kind of famous though isn't she? She was in films that most people have seen, within the last ten years. That's way above Celebrity Big Brother level isn't it?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Not when you interrupt your movie career with bad plastic surgery, drink'n'drugs, rehab and generally getting yourself labelled as nuts.

Check her Filmography on wikipedia; in the last 10 movies since 2005, three are in post-production, and 7 were straight to video.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Cyriptix posted:

Ugh, secret challenges. Same house, same D-list celebrities, same boring old tasks. Shame really, I was hoping this would be a grand reinvention of the format :(

Channel 5 aren't exactly known for their originality. Bringing back Big Brother and Neighbours really harks back to their early days of mostly showing stuff that other channels were done with like Xena and Hercules.

Run Dodo Run
Oct 7, 2006

Some of these people don't even have wikipedia pages. Quite a lot of non-celebrity BB contestants have them. So the non-celebrity housemates are more famous than the celebrities :psyduck:

On a related note, I was bitterly disappointed when I misheard Amy Childs as Adrian Chiles. I would have watched the hell out of him in it.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Any cuts to BBC4 when BBC3 still exists are criminal

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet
We should probably just pack in the whole watching or supporting big brother thing.

It was interesting in the first series because it was new and novel, now its just spanking the dead monkey.

And can someone track down and violently murder whatever shithole agent who is making those jedward fucks still a part of media?

I'm sure they are really nice chaps in person but ... its enough now.

Id rather see loving Noal Edmonds and Lenny Henry back on tv.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

Graviton v2 posted:

whatever shithole agent who is making those jedward fucks still a part of media?
With Jedward in the BB house people across the country know exactly where they are.

Do not underestimate the psychological benefits of knowing that Jedward are definitely not nearby.

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet
A good point.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Hoops posted:

John Bercow is one of the scummiest, fascist, tax-dodging criminal politicians in the country as well, I hope she got booed.

He really isn't, unless you think "claiming a lot of expenses for a few years" is the absolute worst thing a politician can do.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Tsaedje posted:

Any cuts to BBC4 when BBC3 still exists are criminal

I saw some 'Save BBC4' thing on Facebook today and I was going to join, but then I thought about it for two seconds and, honestly, taking the best bits of BBC4 and melding them with the best bits of BBC3 (yes, they actually have some good stuff, like Him and Her and, erm, Being Human, maybe?) to make a proper third BBC channel is probably the best thing they could do.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
That thing where they strapped the cameras to the heads of the soldiers on BBC3 was good

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Celebrity BB is always shite and full of complete non-entities. The non-celeb series are what I watch it for anyway, so I'm reserving judgement until the next real BB

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet
What would be really cool is if Celeb BB caught the jed twins having a threeway with one of the non-entity females, then im tuning in!

MrBishi
Sep 11, 2001

My pupil goes to 11!

Graviton v2 posted:

What would be really cool is if Celeb BB caught the jed twins having a threeway with one of the non-entity females, then im tuning in!

I'm really curious to see if they can keep their act up for the whole time they're in the house.

Noonsaliwah
Sep 5, 2006
Shizne

MrBishi posted:

I'm really curious to see if they can keep their act up for the whole time they're in the house.

Something about cutting the live feed really bugs me. I'm sure the celebrities with better agents will have some power over what gets shown, so I've no doubt we'll see Jedward as we know them.

StrawmanUK
Aug 16, 2008
Good god celeb BB was awful! Was surprised to hear kerry swearing like a trooper too, Davina would have gone nuts at that. Still, im sure once the fighting starts it will be as entertaining as ever :p

workinonit
Jul 11, 2009

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

That thing where they strapped the cameras to the heads of the soldiers on BBC3 was good

This was repeated last night on BBC1. It was brilliant, but my god was it tough to watch :(

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Tara will suck Jedwards cock(s) for a thousand dollars.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
God Piers Morgan is a total dick.
Was flicking through the channels last night and he was "interviewing" Barbara Windsor.

Morgan: "So the carry on Films were obviously brilliant for your career..."
camera cuts to Windsor shaking her head
Windsor: "no they destroyed my career. I couldn't work in TV or film for nearly 30 years"
Morgan actually carries on on the previous tack about her career being great for a few beats before he understands what she just said, then is totally stumped about what to say next, then just jumps to his next pre prepared question as though the last exchange never took place.

There is also this: http://twitter.com/!/pennjillette/status/103501623313182720

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf

MrBishi posted:

I'm not overly familiar with Jedward (not British/Irish). What exactly is their act/desired public image (other than annoying of course)?

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

Per posted:

I'm not overly familiar with Jedward (not British/Irish). What is their act/desired public image (other than annoying of course)?

We're still trying to work that out.

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

So don't. Stay here with me.

Per posted:

I'm not overly familiar with Jedward (not British/Irish). What exactly is their act/desired public image (other than annoying of course)?

Watch this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ja0Cfjjhkwo

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Per posted:

They're lovably dense Irish lads with no apparent self-awareness whatsoever or any real capacity for spite (though we'll see what a few weeks in an enclosed space with a bunch of so-called celebrities will do for that). Basically they're a double-act of Father Dougal MacGuire, with even less musical talent.

jfjnpxmy
Feb 23, 2011

by Lowtax
They're also one of those acts, like Justin Bieber, that the media points to and goes "GAW AIN'T THEY AWFUL? LOOKIT HOW AWFUL THEY ARE" while promoting them relentlessly, and everyone who reads shite like Heat or The Sun disappears up their own arse in paroxysms of entirely manufactured hate, despite the fact that, at worst, they're a couple of talentless but harmless fellows who're a bit thick.

jfjnpxmy fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Aug 19, 2011

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

I do enjoy that every time he talks about them in any capacity, Louis Walsh simply must insert the phrase "Everybody loves them!"

They really don't, Louis.

Oben
Aug 7, 2004

Oh, the lights changed

ChuckDHead posted:

They're lovably dense Irish lads with no apparent self-awareness whatsoever or any real capacity for spite (though we'll see what a few weeks in an enclosed space with a bunch of so-called celebrities will do for that). Basically they're a double-act of Father Dougal MacGuire, with even less musical talent.
Eoin McLove, but twice and aimed at horny teenagers.

Celebrity BB was spectacularly bad. The worst "celebrities" by far, no live feed, Brian Dowling sucked, and the whole thing just feels wrong.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Oben posted:

Eoin McLove, but twice and aimed at horny teenagers.

I wonder if they ever recieve any cake-jumpers.

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

ChuckDHead posted:

I wonder if they ever recieve any cake-jumpers.

I wonder if they have willies.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Trin Tragula posted:

Can we add the railways to that list?

Mind you, I hate to say this, but Sky Arts is actually a half-decent channel. I don't watch much of it cos BBC 4 is on the iPlayer, but what I have come across while channel-surfing has been very watchable (like a huge load of archive documentaries from the 30s, 40s and 50s about institutions of the day), and there's a lot of friends of the family who move in highbrow circles and they watch quite a lot of stuff on there, it's apparently particularly good for things like opera and dance performances.

I am convinced that Sky Arts is run by a small, crack team of people who are trying to improve Sky's image. Like, they're the most intelligent people there. It really is a great service.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
The Guardian has made a nice point about the front cover of today's Daily Star (proprietor: R. Desmond)

Namely that the Star can't know that Big Brother had record ratings, because the overnights for Channel 5 (proprietor: R. Desmond) don't come out until, er, over night, long after the print deadline for the 'news'paper.

Although it is correct if you use a very specific record. Because it's not got the highest ratings for Big Brother ever (over 10 million in 2002), it's not got the highest ratings for Channel 5 (5.63 million for England v Albania in 2001) or highest non sport ratings for Channel 5 (5.41 million for the premiere of Independence Day in 1999).

So yes, it is a record. Well done, Celebrity Big Brother 8, for your record ratings of 5.07 million viewers. Channel 5's highest non sport or film figures. :toot: trebles all round.

sex pervert
Mar 22, 2011

My mum lives near Jedward and occassionally she answers the door to either hysterical 12 year old girls or middle aged men wearing anoraks and tinted glasses whose mothers' satnavs have sent them up her driveway instead of the road the pillocks live on. Apparently not one person has asked for John or Edward. Always Jedward.

They creep me the gently caress out.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

I recognise 3 of those people (counting Jedward as one person).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
I am thoroughly convinced that one of them is significantly less of an idiot than the other but I couldn't possibly say which. Even if I knew which one I couldn't tell your their name.

I hope that at some point they get split up and get to exist as two sides of the same coin as opposed to the world's most ludicrously haired mobius strip.