Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?

Mr_Person posted:

What really jumped out at me in that Quake video was how crazy low everyone's mouse sensitivity was.

Probably wasn't that their sensitivity was low, but that they were using ball mice and they likely had a bunch of hair and dead skin wrapped around the wheels inside the mouse, preventing solid friction.

:barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
God, I miss those days. :(

There was nothing more satisfying than cleaning all the gunk out and suddenly holy poo poo brand new mice feel again!

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Essobie posted:

Probably wasn't that their sensitivity was low, but that they were using ball mice and they likely had a bunch of hair and dead skin wrapped around the wheels inside the mouse, preventing solid friction.

Some of those guys probably had their mouse plugged into the serial port, which gives the mouse a report rate of 40 hz.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

Is this better?

Maxwell Adams posted:

Some of those guys probably had their mouse plugged into the serial port, which gives the mouse a report rate of 40 hz.

:lol: holy poo poo... Don't forget about PS2RATE! So old. :(

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.

Hussar posted:

Yeah, I didn't know about strafing/mouselook/WASD till my friend showed me Counter Strike. Doom, Duke 3D, and Quake was all arrow keys Ctrl and Alt for me. Something I'm not able to recreate now.

Don't forget that not even Quake 2 used WASD by default.

Unless put +mlook in your config and remap to WASD, popular FPSes were still arrow keys by default until Half-Life.

(Although I think Terminator Future Shock used a/z/s/d or something weird like that)

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Aug 19, 2011

big fat retard
Nov 11, 2003
I AM AN IDIOT WITH A COMPULSIVE NEED TO TROLL EVERY THREAD I SEE!!!! PAY NO ATTENTION TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY!!!
What I love about early FPS games is the frequency of the mods that come out compared to other games. It seems that game modding reached its peak with UT2k4. Since games are becoming more and more expensive and complicated, earlier games are becoming less popular and dated, and with DLC packs and the cumbersome AAA studio system, the days of modding being a garage hobby are over.

Except early FPS games, obviously. They don't have to worry about being left in the dust by advances in gaming technology. If anything it works to their advantage. They have significant cult followings that don't bail when the next shiny title comes along, and their design is simple enough to keep producing new stuff.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

THE HORSES rear end posted:

What I love about early FPS games is the frequency of the mods that come out compared to other games. It seems that game modding reached its peak with UT2k4. Since games are becoming more and more expensive and complicated, earlier games are becoming less popular and dated, and with DLC packs and the cumbersome AAA studio system, the days of modding being a garage hobby are over.

Except early FPS games, obviously. They don't have to worry about being left in the dust by advances in gaming technology. If anything it works to their advantage. They have significant cult followings that don't bail when the next shiny title comes along, and their design is simple enough to keep producing new stuff.

I'm not sure how true this is, though. Just look at games like Morrowind, Oblivion, and Fallout 3 / New Vegas. They have huge modding communities. While some of the stuff they produce is junk, many of them rival what the developers can make. Modding is still very much a "garage" hobby. Even in games like STALKER (which came with no SDK), modders have built their own tools from scratch and revamped the X-Ray engine over and over again (for instance, STALKER - Complete and STALKER 2011)

Currently I'm going through all of the Scythe WADs with Brutal Doom v0.11, and having a complete blast. The Cyberdemons are serious bastards now, though (and Spider Masterminds seem to be easier, since it's not too hard to coax them into BFG-ing themselves to death.)

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Aug 19, 2011

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Essobie posted:

:lol: holy poo poo... Don't forget about PS2RATE! So old. :(

Check it out man, I overclocked my mouse

Look for mice that have the ps2/serial adapter included, they can handle the rate change.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

I know the Scoredoom guy reads this thread, so if he or anyone else could answer this question, that'd be fantastic.

Is there any way to skip a level and not have it ruin the online hi-scoring? I'm running through Alien Vendetta on hardcore with the add-on pack, and Misri Halek (that pyramid level) is such a pile of terrible rear end and I'm sick of it and just want to keep going, but I want the rest of the levels to score too. :(

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I guess this is the best thread to ask a question like this - does a fan/mod remake of the original Wolfenstein 3D exist? It seems like this would be a popular idea and the game was short enough to pull this off. I would just love to see it on a newer engine for nostalgia's sake.

The closest I found was a pretty faithful Source mod which you can see in action here (you can download a beta or something) and just a teaser of EDGE engine remake. Is there something more complete out there?

NecroBob
Jul 29, 2003

Palpek posted:

I guess this is the best thread to ask a question like this - does a fan/mod remake of the original Wolfenstein 3D exist?

http://www.afadoomer.com/wolf3d/default.php

Posted this earlier. Even has coop, if ZDoom is newer enough for you.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

Is this better?

frumpsnake posted:

Don't forget that not even Quake 2 used WASD by default.

Unless put +mlook in your config and remap to WASD, popular FPSes were still arrow keys by default until Half-Life.

(Although I think Terminator Future Shock used a/z/s/d or something weird like that)

Descent used AZSD by default (and that was actually what I used right before someone tri-chorded around me in my first duel, taught me about WASD, and that was when I started to become "good at video games"). It is important to note that even back then I realized that while WASD was a better idea than AZSD or certainly arrow keys, ESDF was superior in every single way, so THAT is what I used.

And it wasn't until Tribes 2 (and I think Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2) that ESDF was used as a default configuration.

Of course, Tribes 2 was pretty garbage, and you tools probably went in and changed ESDF to WASD if you even played it, and we still to this day are plagued by a horrible base control scheme for FPS games on PC. :colbert:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

NecroBob posted:

Oh sweet maybe I can actually play Wolfenstein then. I just tried playing Spear of Destiny stock and without a map it was atrociously boring.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Ryuga Death posted:

How do you change the maxdecals in the options menu aside from the console?

Sorry for the late reply, you just need to edit the zdoom-(whatever).ini you get with GZDoom created with your keybinds etc, find the cl_maxdecals line and change it to 99999 to make it a permanent change. I do it with infighting (setting it to 1) too.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

Essobie posted:

Descent used AZSD by default (and that was actually what I used right before someone tri-chorded around me in my first duel, taught me about WASD, and that was when I started to become "good at video games"). It is important to note that even back then I realized that while WASD was a better idea than AZSD or certainly arrow keys, ESDF was superior in every single way, so THAT is what I used.

And it wasn't until Tribes 2 (and I think Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2) that ESDF was used as a default configuration.

Of course, Tribes 2 was pretty garbage, and you tools probably went in and changed ESDF to WASD if you even played it, and we still to this day are plagued by a horrible base control scheme for FPS games on PC. :colbert:
If you think that's bad, when I was a kid I used to change every game's controls to NSEW (North South East West). Looking back, I have no idea what the gently caress.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

NecroBob posted:

Thx, exactly what I was looking for. There's even Spear of Destiny on the download page, great!

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
So if I download the Quake Steam Fan Patches I don't need to also install DarkPlaces right? I just want to get Quake looking as nice as possible for my playthrough.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Essobie posted:

I find ESDF awkward; it leaves Z too close for comfort, but shift too far away. ESDF may give you more keys to work with (which, in my experience, most games don't actually need), but WASD (and, to a lesser extent, SZXC) are more comfortable.

quote:

Of course, Tribes 2 was pretty garbage

gently caress you say? My second will contact you to arrange the terms of our duel. Bring your spinfusor. :colbert:

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

Is this better?

ToxicFrog posted:

I find ESDF awkward; it leaves Z too close for comfort, but shift too far away. ESDF may give you more keys to work with (which, in my experience, most games don't actually need), but WASD (and, to a lesser extent, SZXC) are more comfortable.

I don't see any comfort difference at all between WASD and ESDF, on my keyboard at least. The number of keys you get is slightly more on ESDF of course, but the real benefit is that touch typers (like all PC gamers should be by the time they are 16) are more likely to feel "at home" on ESDF than with WASD.

Most (all?) keyboards have nubs on the F key just to let you know that your hand is in the right place when it isn't pressing anything.

impulse 7 effect
Jun 2, 2011

Essobie posted:

I don't see any comfort difference at all between WASD and ESDF, on my keyboard at least. The number of keys you get is slightly more on ESDF of course, but the real benefit is that touch typers (like all PC gamers should be by the time they are 16) are more likely to feel "at home" on ESDF than with WASD.

Most (all?) keyboards have nubs on the F key just to let you know that your hand is in the right place when it isn't pressing anything.

WASD leaves the chunky SHIFT and CTRL keys in a good place for most people's pinkie. In QW, this meant you could have the rocketjump macro easily to hand at shift and quick axe on ctrl to open walls/buttons. Quick to check TAB for score, too. In Quake3, it was useful to bind rl on shift, sg on ctrl. It's a lot of personal preference, of course.

Pietr, one of the late awesome russian qw players had some crazy setup with +forward/back/left/right on something like vbnm.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I used to use the Numpad for stuff because I played a lot of Thief. There were separate keys for run forward and walk forward (sneak, basically) and rather than use shift I used Numpad5 for walk and everything else on the numpad arrow keys. It's pretty versatile for games, there's a lot of different buttons and some are bigger than others so it works well.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Yodzilla posted:

So if I download the Quake Steam Fan Patches I don't need to also install DarkPlaces right? I just want to get Quake looking as nice as possible for my playthrough.

What are the Steam Fan Patches?

Unless they involve installing a new engine then you won't hit your "looking as nice as possible" goal.

The easiest way to play a good looking session of Quake is to install a newer Quake engine somewhere, and then copy over the .pak data files from your Steam installation of Quake. Your options are:

- If you want to play QuakeWorld-style multiplayer, or if your singleplayer ambitions only involve the original campaign or "vanilla" third-party maps, then you can go to nquake.com and grab the installer from there. The nQuake package includes the ezQuake engine and other stuff like texture packs, bots for playing DM skirmish, etc. It has various "eyecandy" settings available, although that's not its main purpose in life. The installer will autodetect your Steam installation and copy the necessary data files for you.

- If you want to play lots of third-party maps and mods with a faithful GLQuake-ish look, just in high res with the bugs shaken out and support for recent mapping tricks/trends, then use the Fitzquake engine. Or perhaps its fork QuakeSpasm, which seems to be more recently maintained... I haven't tried QuakeSpasm myself but I hear good things.

- If you want the most support for "special effects" and various modern graphics buzzwords, use the Dark Places engine. I'm a little bit of a purist (or just nostalgic) so I lean toward using the other stuff above, but it looks like Dark Places is quite configurable to let you experiment with different visual tweaks and find your happy place.

Edit: If you're talking about http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1756923 then that includes the Dark Places engine. If Dark Places is what you want then you are good to go. If you'd rather use some other engine, you can plop their .exe down next to Dark Places and run whichever one you feel like.

JLaw fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Aug 19, 2011

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I'm not sure how true this is, though. Just look at games like Morrowind, Oblivion, and Fallout 3 / New Vegas. They have huge modding communities. While some of the stuff they produce is junk, many of them rival what the developers can make. Modding is still very much a "garage" hobby. Even in games like STALKER (which came with no SDK), modders have built their own tools from scratch and revamped the X-Ray engine over and over again (for instance, STALKER - Complete and STALKER 2011)
It's been hitting a number of stumbling blocks, mainly due to the increasing number of games with strong modding potential that either failed in the market (i.e. UT3, Q4) or have pretty much just said "gently caress it" to modding (i.e. MW2, Bioshock, Battlefield series since BC2, Bioware's games).

There's also a new business incentive to NOT allow modding, which is that it can poo poo up DLC opportunities. There are TF2 servers, for instance, modded with menus that let you equip any hat regardless of whether you own it or not.

quote:

What are the Steam Fan Patches?
It might be related to the fact that the GLquake they published on Steam has bit-rotted and doesn't even work. It crashes immediately on any modern 3D hardware due to the much-longer-than-expected OpenGL extensions string causing a buffer overrun.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Aug 19, 2011

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.

XausF1 posted:

There was nothing more satisfying than cleaning all the gunk out and suddenly holy poo poo brand new mice feel again!
You can still can do that, if you have a scroll wheel!

frumpsnake posted:

I was all about the Numpad for Unreal. Shove the keyboard to the left (none of this keyboard tray nonsense to get in the way) and use 4568 for movement, 7 and 9 for item cycling, Enter to use item, + and - for weapon cycling, 0 and Del for swim/fly up/down, 1 and 3 for crouch and jump...
Stupid keyboard trays messing up my style. :(

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Ayin posted:

You can still can do that, if you have a scroll wheel!

Off topic, but how do I get into a scroll wheel to clean it out?

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.

Golbez posted:

I don't know about many mouse models, but mine has a single screw. Take that out and it's all just snap-together. You do want to be careful when pulling it apart, so you don't lose parts and can remember how to put it back together.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Golbez posted:

On most mice you have to take off the teflon pads to get to the screws so good luck putting those fuckers back on when you're done.

dissin department
Apr 7, 2007

"I has music dysleskia."
I played through and beat the original doom on UV about 2 years ago, and tried the same on Doom 2 after that. It was a lot of fun, but by about..the second episode, I started having huge ammo problems. Was I just being stupid and wasting too much ammo, or is ammo management an actual part of playing Doom 2 at that difficulty?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I'm about 3/4 through Quake and it's just about as good and bad as I remembered. I want to slap whomever thought it would be a good idea to have an enemy that shoots homing, exploding projectiles that never explode on their own and can't be shot down.

But coming off of the Doom series fresh, my goodness are the environments in Quake boring.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Yodzilla posted:

I'm about 3/4 through Quake and it's just about as good and bad as I remembered. I want to slap whomever thought it would be a good idea to have an enemy that shoots homing, exploding projectiles that never explode on their own and can't be shot down.

But coming off of the Doom series fresh, my goodness are the environments in Quake boring.

I stopped playing Quake when I got to the slime dudes. gently caress that poo poo, they don't even fit in with the rest of the game. They look and act like something an amateur modder crapped out.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Yodzilla posted:

They're slightly easier when you understand how the homing works: They move in a straight line to where you were the last time its trajectory was updated, and when it reaches that location, updates its trajectory.

So basically you want to have an obstacle between you and the projectile when it starts to corner.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

OneEightHundred posted:

They're slightly easier when you understand how the homing works: They move in a straight line to where you were the last time its trajectory was updated, and when it reaches that location, updates its trajectory.

So basically you want to have an obstacle between you and the projectile when it starts to corner.

Yeah I eventually figured them out but

Vertigus posted:

I stopped playing Quake when I got to the slime dudes. gently caress that poo poo, they don't even fit in with the rest of the game. They look and act like something an amateur modder crapped out.

This. They're so glitchy looking and terrible and actually have a decent amount of health. The only surefire way to beat them without powerups is to super nailgun them before they wake up. As to not fitting with the rest of the game, uh, I don't think Quake has a fit. I heard there were all kinds of problems with its development but man the end result is one of the most haphazard themes ever.

And I finally beat it. Didn't take all that long, just under three hours total. That final boss is one of the dumbest thing I've ever seen. The loving Doom 2 boss was better than that.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

Yodzilla posted:

As to not fitting with the rest of the game, uh, I don't think Quake has a fit. I heard there were all kinds of problems with its development but man the end result is one of the most haphazard themes ever.

Seriously, I've never seen a more :wtc: selection of enemies. Ghosts, lightning yeti, medieval knights, dogs, zombies. It's like the design team had ADHD. I'm amazed there weren't dinosaurs and nazis.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I fired of Scourge of Armagon and while it's a really tight, really fun mission pack with great new weapons it's also a little glitchy. Bits of debris that falls can outright kill you if you step on them, some doors don't open unless you reload your game over and over and over again and others will hurt you if you stand too close to them.

Other than that nonsense I'm enjoying it more than a lot of vanilla Quake.

e: oh yeah and the spastic scorpion enemy that freaks the gently caress out if you shoot at it with the nailgun

ddraigcymraeg
Nov 22, 2003
nought

Kakumei posted:

I know the Scoredoom guy reads this thread, so if he or anyone else could answer this question, that'd be fantastic.

Is there any way to skip a level and not have it ruin the online hi-scoring? I'm running through Alien Vendetta on hardcore with the add-on pack, and Misri Halek (that pyramid level) is such a pile of terrible rear end and I'm sick of it and just want to keep going, but I want the rest of the levels to score too. :(

Hehe, yeah I am reading the thread. You can skip past MAP26 by going to the console and typing in 'MAP MAP27', you'll keep online scoring, but your wad score will go back to 0 (this is to stop cheating by simply warping back a level with your score intact etc..). You'll need to just get through it to keep your wad score, unfortunately.
I need to play through AV, and see what this infamous MAP26 is like.

ddraigcymraeg
Nov 22, 2003
nought

NecroBob posted:

On a wolfenstein angle,

WolfenDoom is well recommended:

http://www.doomworld.com/wolfendoom/

Runs on prboom, supports co-op, has new wolfenstein-esque enemies and some great mission packs (Operation Arctic Wolf, etc.)

And if that isnt enough, the creator, Laz Rojas, is a pretty interesting dude to say the least http://lazrojas.com/showcase/

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Dominic White posted:

Like I've been saying, it's the only Doom mod that makes Doom even Doomier. I recorded a little bit of gameplay footage of it here

I've just given this a try, but the chaingun in the version I downloaded doesn't sound anywhere near as nice as in your video, which version of Brutal Doom do you have?

Also, for some reason I can't get a HUD to show up, in vanilla or with Brutal Doom. I haven't played Doom in maybe 10 years, and so have never used GZDoom or anything like that, there are so many options that I just don't know which one I need to mess with to get the HUD to show up. Could anyone point me in the right direction?

Aside from those problems, I've been having an absolute blast playing through the Doom 2 campaign with this mod, even if it is kicking my arse!

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Bardeh posted:

Also, for some reason I can't get a HUD to show up, in vanilla or with Brutal Doom. I haven't played Doom in maybe 10 years, and so have never used GZDoom or anything like that, there are so many options that I just don't know which one I need to mess with to get the HUD to show up. Could anyone point me in the right direction?

You should just be able to use the + and - keys, at least that's the way it is with skulltag.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Wamdoodle posted:

You should just be able to use the + and - keys, at least that's the way it is with skulltag.

Thanks for that. I think I might have to give that regenerating health module for Brutal Doom a try, I've got 4 health at the start of this level and it's a bitch with the hitscan enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
As much as I hate regenerating health, I think I hate intrusive bleeding screen effects more.