Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
The driving places is only a problem because the driving and the world are both garbage in GTA4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Multiplesarcasm posted:

Shut up Smokey, I know the god damned train is coming.

Smokey is a bear. The man's name is Big Smoke. :colbert:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Dying = Lose some money
Arrested = Lose some money, lose all weapons.

Multiplesarcasm
Mar 3, 2006

a corduroy explosion.
Way to stand up for the traitor. He double crossed CJ, dude deserved the get merked.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cojawfee posted:

Dying = Lose some money
Arrested = Lose some money, lose all weapons.

Unless my copy of GTA IV is broken it's:

Dying = lose 10% of your money or $10,000; whichever is lower
Arrested = lose weapons and body armor, but keep all your money

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Losing weapons is like losing a million dollars to me. Money comes back on its own, I'd have to go buy more guns.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Cojawfee posted:

Losing weapons is like losing a million dollars to me. Money comes back on its own, I'd have to go buy more guns.

I agree, I would never get arrested in that situation because it takes time to buy more weapons with money anyways.

Man I absolutely love Ballad of Gay Tony. I just really like the platonic relationship between Tony and Luis. Luis is just so loyal to Tony and Tony is so dependent on Luis that it all works out in the end. Then there is the pause menu music that is so relaxing and the crazy missions and I just wish that the Ballad of Gay Tony was as long as GTA4 was.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Multiplesarcasm posted:

Way to stand up for the traitor. He double crossed CJ, dude deserved the get merked.

Look at you, hatin' the player. :whatup:

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Doc Hawkins posted:

Look at you, hatin' the player. :whatup:

You just a straight up BUSTA homie. Im embarrassed to be seen wit you.

I can never finish SA because I always get to San Fierro and lose my save somehow :(

moms pubis
Jul 9, 2011

by T. Mascis
The more I play these games, the more I think The Ballad of Gay Tony is the best of them all. Memorable characters, cool side jobs, insane setpiece missions, badass weapons, sweet cars: it's got it all. I hope GTA 5 is at least as good as this.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I could do without Ballad Of Gay Tony reminding me that using cheats means I can't upload scores every mission though (since I fuckin love using the cheats in GTA).

Pees With Boner
Jun 7, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I have never and will never not cheat in a sandbox game other than Red Dead Redemption since by the time you get 100% the game is cheating for you and Just Cause 2 because it didn't have cheats and I could run it on PC until just the other day

Ohio State BOOniversity
Mar 3, 2008

cheats are great. use more cheats. also trainers and modded ini files.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIHqqVchU2k

Synonymous
May 24, 2011

That was a nice distraction.
GTA IV really chugs on my machine, which should really be able to handle it- is there some .ini file I can fix, or mod I can install that will remedy this?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

What are your specs; because it is a very demanding game.

Synonymous
May 24, 2011

Zedd posted:

What are your specs; because it is a very demanding game.

DxDiag because I'm a moron (and this PC was built by a friend, so I don't really have a clue)
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 950 @ 3.07GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.1GHz
Memory: 6144MB RAM

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GT 430
Display Memory: 4062 MB
Dedicated Memory: 2014 MB
Shared Memory: 2047 MB

Any other relevant details?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Processor is good, videocard is meh.
You shouldn't have much trouble though if you tweak the ingame settings a bit.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Yeah, what are your ingame settings at? The game isn't very well optimized and if you try to max out the draw distance and what not, there aren't many systems that can run it smoothly.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

The general idea is this:
Due to either ambitious porting or sloppy porting a 2cores or less system preforms poo poo. (the console versions where made for 3+ cores so I am going with lazy but unintentionally very scalable)

It should run decent once you have 3+cores and a decent videocard.

For reference here is what I had/have:
Old system1: 8800gt, C2Duo 3.0ghz : 30ish fps at 1680x1050 with setuff to medium
Same system with HD5770: 30ish fps with most non-draw distance stuff to max
New i5 2500k 560ti system: 60+fps with most stuff max and raw distance around 60% (does dip from time to time)

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Imo the biggest FPS killers are shadows and draw/detail distance. Virtual sync gives me more frames too, which is weird because it doesn't happen on any other games for me. Doesn't even give me mouselag like other games.

Synonymous
May 24, 2011

Zedd posted:

Processor is good, videocard is meh.
You shouldn't have much trouble though if you tweak the ingame settings a bit.

Everything was at high with draw distance around 30-50 for each, and that chugged, I'd been trying to avoid dropping down to Medium but the difference isn't all that discernible. However, everything is still very bleached, even with brightness, saturation, contrast at whatever level, it makes no difference. I didn't really notice it until I reached a cinematic, but now that I think about it and compare to my 360 version, the whole game is very bright.

An example:
http://i.imgur.com/fA610.jpg

Synonymous fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Sep 1, 2011

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Yeah, that scene is pretty dark. You know this of course but Im saying its a big difference. Try updated/previous video card drivers?

edit: or try a graphics mod, like Stunning Graphics or the ENB series if you feel like it but if you don't downgrade your game to a previous version (reinstall) its similar to Stunning. Otherwise ENB is supposed to be the bee kness.

backup your poo poo (only a few files) if you do this though, because im pretty sure it wont let you play online. maybe not.

Cage fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Sep 1, 2011

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

That screenshot looks way too bright; even for cranking the settings for that to high.

If it is on steam verify the files and delete all settings files; if disked try reinstalling.
Update drivers blablabla, etc.

Synonymous
May 24, 2011

Zedd posted:

That screenshot looks way too bright; even for cranking the settings for that to high.

If it is on steam verify the files and delete all settings files; if disked try reinstalling.
Update drivers blablabla, etc.

Updated the hell out of my drivers, but still no dice.
I'm running a Steam version, which are settings files?

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Did San Andreas get anything in the way of graphical overhauls or what have you? I know there's a few draw distance mods, but the 10x distance one would periodically make everything invisible and leave you wandering around a sky-textured void or something.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
There's one that is being made right now which will port the game (or at least the map) over to the RAGE engine. Though I'd prefer my CJ to be of the non "flails around like an idiot whenever he trys to walk down the street" version and thus won't be using it.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I had very mixed feelings about GTA 4. The first hour or so of driving around was mind blowing, noticing how realistically thing interact with each other. Then I realised how little there was to actually do, and the missions were repetitive and uninteresting as hell. Not to mention that while Euphoria leads to some wonderful ragdolling, applying it so dilligently to Nico results in about the only game where it's harder to manoeuvre while walking than driving. As we moved from one gritty realistic plot strand to another, with no risk of any of them paying off, I couldn't help but wonder what the hell Rockstar was thinking. We get the usual schizophrenic mess of a plotline (where you end up working for every gang in the city) but without much flair to the missions, since the world is so gritty and realistic. It's kind of the worst of both worlds
However, between them, Lost and Damned and Gay Tony offer tantalising glimpses of what could have been
Lost and Damned is the grittiness done right. It's a short story that starts you in the dumps and keeps you there, filled with well written, memorably self destructive characters. Johnny's relationship with Ashley is as complex a relationship as I can remember seeing in a game, and the game's over before the mission devolve into repetition. Gay Tony is the schizophrenic plot done right. You save a nightclub by...base jumping off the empire state while shotgunning helicopters and getting into sniper duels. It's all over the place, but its missions are varied enough that it fits.
Really, I'd be happy with GTA 5 going firmly in either of these directions, rather than lingering in the middle like GTA 4 vanilla did.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Snowman_McK posted:

I had very mixed feelings about GTA 4. The first hour or so of driving around was mind blowing, noticing how realistically thing interact with each other. Then I realised how little there was to actually do, and the missions were repetitive and uninteresting as hell.
Hm, you think so? GTA4 seemed like a huge step-up in terms of many of the game mechanics. The shooting is actually challenging without being absurdly difficult and largely based on luck as it is in Vice City, the car physics, while taking a lot of getting used to, feel more reliable; you don't flip your car at random so much. I also thought it was well paced and had a really good mission structure.

There are certainly some flaws. Nico has way too much inertia as you said, and some of the driving was really tedious. Still, I'd say IV is my second favorite not-an-expansion-pack game in the series, Chinatown Wars being the first. (GTAIV might have edged it out except for that end-game mission where you have to pursue Dimitri on a motorcycle.)

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

3/VC/SA weren't luck based. They where just very "shoot first to win".

I don't compare the 3-vc-sa era to the 4-eflc era because they are so different.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Chaltab posted:

The shooting is actually challenging without being absurdly difficult and largely based on luck as it is in Vice City

Out of curiosity, was the PS2 version of VC done with auto-aim or what? I thought that it worked quite wello on the PC. Well, except for the shotgun which was slow and a bit useless.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Has anyone tried the BTTF mod for Vice City besides me? They've been showing progress on the next update which is going to have a new model for the DeLorean as well as some changes to the Hill Valley area.

The only thing that sucks about the mod is that it loves to crash all the time, sometimes even on the splash screen. Saving and loading a game where you're inside the DeLorean with time circuits on is also a bad idea too. Oh, and the flying controls for the BTTF2 DeLorean are a bit messed up because hitting the turn left/right button also retracts the wheels.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Cliff Racer posted:

Out of curiosity, was the PS2 version of VC done with auto-aim or what? I thought that it worked quite wello on the PC. Well, except for the shotgun which was slow and a bit useless.

The console versions of 3 and Vice City relied on a terrible lock-on style targeting system for guns smaller than rifles, then for the larger weapons you were forced into a clunky 1st person interface to aim. San Andreas largely fixed the issues with its free aim and improvements in the lock on system.

The lock-on system of 3 and VC were bad enough in terms of fine control that many shootouts were pretty much luck of the draw.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Cliff Racer posted:

All the PS2 games had auto-aim. I know in GTA3 you COULDN'T free aim even if you wanted to (I don't remember how the other two (4?) PS2 games handled that though)

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
You know, I probably would like 3 and Vice City a hell of a lot more with PC aiming controls.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Synonymous posted:

DxDiag because I'm a moron (and this PC was built by a friend, so I don't really have a clue)
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 950 @ 3.07GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.1GHz
Memory: 6144MB RAM

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GT 430
Display Memory: 4062 MB
Dedicated Memory: 2014 MB
Shared Memory: 2047 MB

Man, people weren't kidding when they said PC compatibility with GTA IV is a crapshoot. I have the exact same budget video card, a processor that isn't even as good, and yet the game runs perfectly fine for me on whatever the "recommended settings" are. Granted, the recommended settings are mostly medium with low-ish draw distance and LOD, but still. I get maybe in the 40 FPS range and it's fairly smooth.

16 gb for a full install is still loving insane though, even with a 500gb-1tb hard drive.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Chaltab posted:

You know, I probably would like 3 and Vice City a hell of a lot more with PC aiming controls.

I've always said, the best way to play is on a pc with a keyboard/mouse for walking around, and a controller resting right in front of the keyboard to pick up when you get in a car. You can easily switch between the two in the time it takes for the "get inside the car" animation.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
You don't need a controller for a car. You can drive perfectly with wasd.

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

I disagree. Definitely use a 360 controller for driving and walking about, mouse & keyboard for combat.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

10+GB is becoming standard for games; and with the amount of diversity, radio, physics etc in the game I am not surprised at 16gb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I dunno guys. I did the ambulance mission in III with kbm. It's one of the hardest missions in the trilogy and I aced it. kbm has a learning curve, but you eventually learn that you have more control of your car than you do with a pad.

• Locked thread