Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
My DeLonghi KM700 is a rebranded Kenwood. Even comes with the Kenwood K beater.

My mom has the original KM500 (by kenwood) that she got 30+ years ago for her wedding, still going strong. The only difference is that mine is metal case (instead of plastic), a few more watts, and 7 quart bowl (although it's huge, and needed a beater blade to work with small batches). Delonghi rebranded a KM500 as well.

Although it looks as the DSM5/DSM7 have a new design, so not sure about those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done
Another knife question - My parents (who are not cutlery afficianatos ) bought me a bread knife a couple of years ago that I've been really happy with, it's stayed very sharp and cuts through pineapples like butter (and well, I think it looks pretty nice, too.) Not knowing much really about knives, I just saw today that it is a Henckle International Mikado. I'm pretty sure that it came from a big box store and was relatively cheap, but aren't Henckle knives excellent/expensive? I'm guessing the "International Mikado" appendage is the catch, ie., "this is the cheapo line we sell to big box stores."

I'm just wondering because being an average cook who nonetheless enjoys nice tools, I'd consider buying other knives from this line... Unless of course someone here tells me that they effectively self-destruct after 5 years.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

cocoavalley posted:

Henckle International Mikado.

I have a paring knife from this line and I like it a lot. I think it was in the 40 to 50 dollar range. All of my knives are Henckles, all in the 40 to 50 dollar range, and I've been using them for several years with no issue. I got a hand held sharpener that was recommend on some cooking sites and I use it every now and then but generally find that my Henckles stay pretty sharp.

Psycho_Puppy
Sep 15, 2004

Founder, Mutant Ninja Peek-a-Poo Death Squad.
This is STILL one of the best knives I own. I have Shun, Henckels, Sabatier, and this. It cuts tomatoes paper thin and has only required being steeled, never sharpened.

http://www.amazon.com/Wasabi-Kershaw-6-5-Inch-Santoku-Knife/dp/B000A2JXB0

$34.95 USD

Recent Convert
Mar 18, 2011

Mr Pepper posted:

i have a vitamix blender and it's very powerful and works very well. You can make soups in it but I didn't like the "airy" texture of it. ymmv of course.

+1 for vitamix. It has never failed to blend the bejezus out of anything I've put in it. It's also built like a tank with a plastic pitcher that you can stand on w/o fear of breaking/warping.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

I'm after a stick/hand held blender.

Should I be looking at the same brands as the mixers/blenders?

The end should be detachable so I can wash it easier.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Fists Up posted:

I'm after a stick/hand held blender.

Should I be looking at the same brands as the mixers/blenders?

The end should be detachable so I can wash it easier.

http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-CSB-76BC-SmartStick-200-Watt-Immersion/dp/B000EGA6QI/

Acetone
May 20, 2005
Working toward a glowing-sludge future!
Seconding this. Mine is absolutely wonderful, and has almost completely replaced my normal blender.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

If you enjoy making bread, pizza, or really anything requiring mixing, seriously consider ditching your Kitchenaid and get one of these:

http://www.everythingkitchens.com/DLXmixer.html

It can knead like nothing else. You can make huge batches of dough at once without stressing the motor. The roller/scraper works great for cake batters/cookies as well as high-hydration dough. The hook attachment is a one way ticket to incredibly tight windowpane city. I burnt out the motor in my Kitchenaid HD550 kneading 1.3kg of pizza dough, this thing could easily make twice that amount at once without breaking a sweat. Also, the optional attachments are (a little) cheaper than their Kitchenaid equivalents. I only have the meat grinder and it works at least as well as my dad's standalone Waring Pro model.

The attachments are also very adjustable, depending on what you're mixing and what you're trying to accomplish. For example, with the roller and scraper, you can adjust the distance between the side of the bowl and the scraper, which allows you to effectively mix either small amounts of batter or add an extrusion type effect that REALLY works a dough.

It does take some getting used to, since the attachments are stationary and the bowl spins. But I think it gives you greater mixing control, freedom, and you can thoroughly knead MUCH larger batches of dough.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

have it, works fine, no complaints

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Nostrum posted:

If you enjoy making bread, pizza, or really anything requiring mixing, seriously consider ditching your Kitchenaid and get one of these:

http://www.everythingkitchens.com/DLXmixer.html

It can knead like nothing else. You can make huge batches of dough at once without stressing the motor. The roller/scraper works great for cake batters/cookies as well as high-hydration dough. The hook attachment is a one way ticket to incredibly tight windowpane city. I burnt out the motor in my Kitchenaid HD550 kneading 1.3kg of pizza dough, this thing could easily make twice that amount at once without breaking a sweat. Also, the optional attachments are (a little) cheaper than their Kitchenaid equivalents. I only have the meat grinder and it works at least as well as my dad's standalone Waring Pro model.

The attachments are also very adjustable, depending on what you're mixing and what you're trying to accomplish. For example, with the roller and scraper, you can adjust the distance between the side of the bowl and the scraper, which allows you to effectively mix either small amounts of batter or add an extrusion type effect that REALLY works a dough.

It does take some getting used to, since the attachments are stationary and the bowl spins. But I think it gives you greater mixing control, freedom, and you can thoroughly knead MUCH larger batches of dough.

I just need to add a little room to my kitchen so I can upgrade to this. I'm actually totally serious about that, I just don't know where that room would come from at the moment.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I just need to add a little room to my kitchen so I can upgrade to this. I'm actually totally serious about that, I just don't know where that room would come from at the moment.

It's so weird that the 20 qt is $100 more than the 10 qt. You're getting so much more space!

Auntbeast
Nov 7, 2010

dino. posted:

It's so weird that the 20 qt is $100 more than the 10 qt. You're getting so much more space!

A great place to pick up those things is auctions. Restaurants go out of business all the time and the equipment goes pretty cheap.

I have an Atlas Pepper Mill that I absolutely adore, had it for about 15 years and it grinds as good as new.

You may pry my Kitchenaid from my cold dead hands.

Romertopf clay cookers are just awesome. I'm certain other types of clay cookers work as well, but I love mine.

I have a huge old calphalon* possibly-roaster that has a lid that fits perfectly snug. It's big, it's oval and deep, with a heavy lid. Awesome!

*turns out it is a Magnalite, however, the pics I can find, the lids aren't nearly as nice as the one on mine.

Auntbeast fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Aug 18, 2011

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I think I am in love.

Well, my birthday *IS* coming...and my husband is asking me what I would like :P It's worth a try :)

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Amethyste posted:

I think I am in love.

Well, my birthday *IS* coming...and my husband is asking me what I would like :P It's worth a try :)

Well, this is what I really want, but even used I can't find them for as cheap as the Globe. If you can get one, though, Hobart really is top of the line.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Well, this is what I really want, but even used I can't find them for as cheap as the Globe. If you can get one, though, Hobart really is top of the line.

what are you even making that needs a mixer

the only two things I ever find myself using a mixer for are dough and meringue

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I want the potato peeler attachment for my Kenwood, I really hate peeling potatoes.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

mindphlux posted:

what are you even making that needs a mixer

the only two things I ever find myself using a mixer for are dough and meringue

Lots of dough at a time.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I had a Krups convection toaster oven...until last weekend :smith:

It was awesome, it could cook small birds, 2 person meals, etc. You could sear a steak in a pan or on the grill, then throw the pan into this oven and finish it. No need to heat up a big oven.

However, this thing had a serious flaw. Every time you hit a button, the beeps were piercingly loud. Annoying, 5 beep chime when things are done. Super, super annoying and hurtful to my sensitive ears. I tried taking the thing apart to fix the noise, which I did, but I messed up the door spring and now it wont close.

Rather than going to go take it to be fixed locally, I may just spring for a new one. Anyone have any recommendations on a small convection- toaster oven that doesnt beep super loud? I'm pretty pissed about breaking it, but I really couldn't live with that any longer, it was that bad. Shame, because the oven was fine otherwise.

Sorry if I missed this in the thread, I read through a bunch but the thread is pretty long at this point.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Lots of dough at a time.

god among men

Fredus
Sep 4, 2004
the lonely albatross

His Divine Shadow posted:

I want the potato peeler attachment for my Kenwood, I really hate peeling potatoes.

If you ever get one tell us if it's worth it, I've always wondered. If it helps Larousse says that automatic peelers have the least waste of all pealing methods.

Speaking of Kenwood attachments I've also been tempted by the sive attachment. Looks like it would be awesome for perfect mashed potatoes.

Heisenator
Mar 30, 2010
I have just started to get into cooking and I am in the market for a few basic items aside from my mom's stuff.

First, a cast iron skillet. I've seen the Lodge ones off of Amazon recommended highly in this thread and elsewhere, but I have also seen some links to Ikea versions. I plan to use this for searing steaks and I am unsure which one to go for. I would prefer cheaper (cast irons being cheap as is), but would like the best value.

What size should I get? Alton Brown recommended 10-12", but I am not sure which one is preferred, nor their weight considerations. Lodges are pre-seasoned and I have never seasoned before, but that does not seem to be too big of an issue. It is certainly a plus though.

Second, I would like an effective pepper grinder, I am not sure what to look for in them, but I am pretty open regarding the amount of pepper that comes out, and the coarseness of it; just not a waterfall of pepper per turn. This I would also like to get as cheap as possible while still being reliable.

Third, meat thermometers. I know everyone recommends the Thermapen, but would there be a good thermometer I can get off of this VWR Website, or any other kitchen items for that matter?

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Heisenator posted:

Second, I would like an effective pepper grinder, I am not sure what to look for in them, but I am pretty open regarding the amount of pepper that comes out, and the coarseness of it; just not a waterfall of pepper per turn. This I would also like to get as cheap as possible while still being reliable.
I bought this almost entirely on the basis of ease of changing the grind. While I've only had it for a couple of months, I've been very happy with it.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=120838

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Heisenator posted:

First, a cast iron skillet. I've seen the Lodge ones off of Amazon recommended highly in this thread and elsewhere, but I have also seen some links to Ikea versions. I plan to use this for searing steaks and I am unsure which one to go for. I would prefer cheaper (cast irons being cheap as is), but would like the best value.

What size should I get? Alton Brown recommended 10-12", but I am not sure which one is preferred, nor their weight considerations. Lodges are pre-seasoned and I have never seasoned before, but that does not seem to be too big of an issue. It is certainly a plus though.

10" or 12" doesn't matter. Just think about what you are going to put in it most of the time. As for the rest of the questions I'll just quote this from the Cast Iron thread.

godzirraRAWR posted:

I am honestly shocked at how many problems you people are having with cast iron.

My half blind grandmother who calls black people 'coloreds', is old enough to have ridden a bear into work, and has shoes made out of wood can loving use hers. She has the mind of a toddler.

You fuckers. You fuckers make me want to cry. I swear to god.

Or in other words just cook with the drat thing.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
http://www.woot.com/

Up for a few more hours, don't know if they're any good or not.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Heisenator posted:

Get this:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10152875

It's cheap, durable and adjustable.

Heisenator
Mar 30, 2010

KozmoNaut posted:

Get this:

Great, that sounds good. I think I will stop by Ikea today. Should I buy any other items while there? What was the recommended cast iron skillet from there?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Heisenator posted:

Great, that sounds good. I think I will stop by Ikea today. Should I buy any other items while there? What was the recommended cast iron skillet from there?

The raw cast iron skillet they have at Ikea is pretty small and has very low sides. It's perfect for a single steak, but not much else.

I have the enameled frying pan and sauté pan from the Senior line. Between those and my large cast iron pan, I hardly ever use my nonstick pan anymore. I have the large dutch oven as well, I highly recommend it.

DragonWC99
Nov 4, 2004
Can anyone recommend a really nice toaster oven? Mine just gave out.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

KozmoNaut posted:

Get this:

I have a bunch of those for spices. Cumin, white pepper, etc. They work great.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Is there a go-to website for ordering whole spices? I live in a food desert and the closest thing my grocery has to exotic spices is a staggering area of pre-ground 'steak rub' mixes.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Chard posted:

Is there a go-to website for ordering whole spices? I live in a food desert and the closest thing my grocery has to exotic spices is a staggering area of pre-ground 'steak rub' mixes.

http://www.penzeys.com/

http://www.thespicehouse.com/

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Brilliant, thanks a million.

Heisenator
Mar 30, 2010

KozmoNaut posted:

The raw cast iron skillet they have at Ikea is pretty small and has very low sides. It's perfect for a single steak, but not much else.

I have the enameled frying pan and sauté pan from the Senior line. Between those and my large cast iron pan, I hardly ever use my nonstick pan anymore. I have the large dutch oven as well, I highly recommend it.

I got the spice mill, thanks everyone for that recommendation.

I did not find the raw cast iron skillet you mentioned; they had a $40 enameled cast iron griddle, I believe under the Favorit line, and also the Senior line of enameled cast iron, which was also pricey. Do you have the name of the cast iron at Ikea?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Heisenator posted:

I did not find the raw cast iron skillet you mentioned; they had a $40 enameled cast iron griddle, I believe under the Favorit line, and also the Senior line of enameled cast iron, which was also pricey. Do you have the name of the cast iron at Ikea?

Oh, it looks like they don't carry it anymore, I can't find it either.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!
Any recommendations for a mandolin? Dont need anything fancy

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I bought a Bamix Magic Wand immersion blender yesterday. I think it's the least expensive blender they make, but holy hell is it a nice piece of kit. The old Braun I had was a flimsy piece of crap in comparison and that lasted 15 years before the motor burned out, so I have high expectations for its replacement.

So far, I've made ice cream, smoothies and soup and I'm constantly looking for excuses to blend more stuff. It'll crush ice cubes all day without breaking a sweat.

Bamix immersion blenders, highly recommended.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Aug 25, 2011

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

dms666 posted:

Any recommendations for a mandolin? Dont need anything fancy

http://www.amazon.com/Harold-Import-Company-BN1-Mandoline/dp/B0000VZ57C

I've had this guy for a while - it's sharp as poo poo and the guard sucks, so take it off and don't slice your finger tip off.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I have a Benriner. It's fantastic. They make a wide version of it. Spring for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!

Chemmy posted:

I have a Benriner. It's fantastic. They make a wide version of it. Spring for that.

Which, the 5" wide one?

• Locked thread