Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?
Wow, a whole months pay worth of jewelry. That's what, half a wedding ring? Monstrous!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Gustav posted:

Wow, a whole months pay worth of jewelry. That's what, half a wedding ring? Monstrous!

I told him what he said was hearsay and left it at that. I'm not trying to convince him to change his viewpoint or whatever, I just want him to look dumb.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

crime fighting hog posted:

I'm the blue blocks:

What the gently caress do I say to that? I mean really, it's so terrible I don't know where to start.

"How do you know her jewelry wasn't given as a gift or passed down from family? How do you know she didn't get the jewelry when she wasn't on food stamps?"

ts12
Jul 24, 2007

Corbet posted:

"How do you know her jewelry wasn't given as a gift or passed down from family? How do you know she didn't get the jewelry when she wasn't on food stamps?"

"She wasn't white"

Alternatively: " I just do, ok"

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

ts12 posted:

"She wasn't white"

Alternatively: " I just do, ok"

This guy has told me before that German is the only language everyone should learn, so I was kind of expecting the N bomb to come out.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Gustav posted:

Not a month's pay worth of jewelry - more jewelry than he makes in a month. Presumably, the person who wrote that is a jeweler. Maybe not a very productive one, though.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

I'm the blue blocks:

What the gently caress do I say to that? I mean really, it's so terrible I don't know where to start.

I like the suggestion that the nice things are from before they got on welfare, I can't believe I hadn't heard it before.

Also point out that we're in a recession, so it's not a choice between a job and welfare, it's a choice between nothing and welfare. You can't blame Obama for not doing enough for job creation while at the same time blaming lazy poor people.

If they're free government types, maybe ask why it's wrong for the government to try to keep our oil rigs from exploding or dumping carcinogens in water or selling mortgage-backed securities designed to fail, but okay to micromanage individuals' shopping lists.

Also point out the utter cruelty in the idea that we should stop helping people because they have kids.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Set them on fire.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Dr Christmas posted:

Also point out the utter cruelty in the idea that we should stop helping people because they have kids.

I was about to do this too. He'll probably come up with a castration talking point for fabled welfare queens, blah blah blah. It's a goddamn rabbit hole with the guys I went to high school with. So glad I got out of that town.

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

Pretty egregious that they think only taxpayers should be allowed to vote.

You could also point out that food stamp programs return something like $1.70 to the economy for every government dollar spent, so even if they could afford to get by without it, it still wouldn't be waste.

Also, ask them why they're so loving lazy that they don't make enough in a month to buy more jewelry then someone who's on food stamps?

JerkyBunion fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Aug 18, 2011

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

Or she was married to an abusive husband who bought her jewelry when he was "sorry", she left him, and is now on food stamps. May not be likely, but battered spouses and children are on the list of people eligible for Food Stamps.

Also, did they take the jewelry to a jeweler to be appraised? There's lots of knock off jewelry that's cheap.

Ultimately, the point is you can't really judge a person based on what they're wearing or the car they drive. You have no idea how they got to the point they're at.

But if they are on Food Stamps, chances are they're a lot worse off than you think. The requirements for getting on Food Stamps are pretty steep. A family of 3 making $15k a year (full-time work at minimum wage) would only get about $377 a month for Food Stamps. So even with that money they're only getting less than $20k a year. Sorry, but anyone who thinks people want to live like that to game the system are crazy. If they could get a job paying $45k for a family of 3 with no food stamps, they would.

Edit: A big part of the problem is actually childcare. It's so expensive to put a child in daycare that in many cases its pointless for a woman with little education or job experience to even look for work.

P.S. - Abortions, birth control, and proper sex education are bad; and in no way related to this issue.

Sarion fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Aug 18, 2011

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Link him to one of those fake jewellery stores where you can buy somewhat realistic looking (to people who don't know poo poo about jewellery) stuff for like 10 bucks. Poor people who like to play rich princess LOVE those things.

*EDIT*
Beaten I see. Point still stands.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe
Yeah, jewelry is such a stupid point to be making since cubic zirconium is now to the point where unless you get it under a jeweler's glass you can't tell it's not real. Same with fake emeralds and rubies. You can get a ring that looks like $10k for $50-100, no problem.

Sock on a Fish
Jul 17, 2004

What if that thing I said?

JerkyBunion posted:

Pretty egregious that they think only taxpayers should be allowed to vote.

You could also point out that food stamp programs return something like $1.70 to the economy for every government dollar spent, so even if they could afford to get by without it, it still wouldn't be waste.

Also, ask them why they're so loving lazy that they don't make enough in a month to buy more jewelry then someone who's on food stamps?

gently caress it, let's make the plutocracy official. You get one vote for every dollar of taxes paid.

ThePeteEffect
Jun 12, 2007

I'm just crackers about cheese!
Fun Shoe

Sock on a Fish posted:

gently caress it, let's make the plutocracy official. You get one vote for every dollar of taxes paid.

Then corporations might actually pay taxes. :v:

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

JerkyBunion posted:

You could also point out that food stamp programs return something like $1.70 to the economy for every government dollar spent,
Do you happen to know where this number comes from? I've heard it before, but the earliest source I can find is testimony from Mark Zandi to congress that each $1 increase in food stamps causes a $1.73 one-year change in GDP...but it doesn't indicate where he got the number, and $1.73 is awfully specific not to come from a study or something.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Aug 18, 2011

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

Strudel Man posted:

Do you happen to know where this number comes from? I've heard it before, but I don't think I've ever actually seen the original source.

I'm pretty sure it was moodyseconomy.com

http://money.cnn.com/2008/01/29/news/economy/stimulus_analysis/index.htm

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
Yeah, sorry, I was trying to track it down as I wrote that - probably should have finished first.

You can find the guy's own writing about it here - apparently, the original source is 'simulations of the Moody’s Economy.com macroeconomic model,' which is...well, let's just say that I wouldn't find it very compelling if such 'simulations' had indicated that the best course was to cut taxes.

quote:

Increased income support has been part of the federal response to most recessions, and for good reason: It is the most efficient way to prime the economy's pump. Simulations of the Moody’s Economy.com macroeconomic model show that every dollar spent on UI benefits generates an estimated $1.63 in near-term GDP.x Boosting food stamp payments by $1 increases GDP by $1.73 (see Table 2). People who receive these benefits are hard pressed and will spend any financial aid they receive very quickly.

Food stamps are most probably pretty good economic stimulus, but the $1.73 figure specifically carries no weight.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Aug 18, 2011

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

ThePeteEffect posted:

Then corporations might actually pay taxes. :v:

Ofcourse they would, and they'd get candidates in who would give all that money + interest right back to them.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

quote:

A BLACK MAN WALKS INTO A RESTAURANT. A WHITE MAN SAYS "COLORED PEOPLE ARE NOT ALLOWED IN HERE!" THE BLACK MAN SAYS, "WHEN I WAS BORN, I WAS BLACK, WHEN I'M COLD, I'M BLACK WHEN I'M SICK I'M BLACK, WHEN I DIE, I'LL BE BLACK. BUT WHEN YOU WERE BORN YOU WERE PINK, WHEN YOU'RE COLD YOU'RE BLUE, WHEN YOU'RE SICK YOU'RE GREEN, WHEN YOU DIE, YOU'LL BE PURPLE. YET YOU HAVE THE NERVE TO CALL ME COLOURED?!?!"AND HE LEAVES. PUT THIS ON UR PAGE IF UR AGAINST RACISM!!!

I'm pretty confused by this one. Not the message, but the grammar. The first part has everything spelled correctly, with proper use of commas (if not periods), and properly uses "you're." The ending uses a different spelling of colored, and reverts to "ur" instead of "your" and "you're." But it's all in caps, so I get the impression the same person typed it. I don't know what to think!

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

XyloJW posted:

I'm pretty confused by this one. Not the message, but the grammar. The first part has everything spelled correctly, with proper use of commas (if not periods), and properly uses "you're." The ending uses a different spelling of colored, and reverts to "ur" instead of "your" and "you're." But it's all in caps, so I get the impression the same person typed it. I don't know what to think!
Person 1 wrote the first bit
Person 2 copied it into facebook in all caps and put the ending on

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

XyloJW posted:

That one is really, REALLY old. Like I've seen it posted on a BBS in the nineties and it wasn't fresh material back then. So who knows where he got it.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

I'm the blue blocks:

How about :

"I said widespread. Look up the meaning of 'anecdotal evidence', rear end in a top hat"

Although I guess the "rear end in a top hat" is optional. Depends on whether you want to end the conversation right there/have it turn really ugly fast.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Actually I kind of believe that someone would buy an iphone or jewelery and still be on EBT because the consumer culture in the US is really hosed up.

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

Vladimir Putin posted:

Actually I kind of believe that someone would buy an iphone or jewelery and still be on EBT because the consumer culture in the US is really hosed up.

Foolishly spending $400 on an iPhone or jewelry still isn't exactly living high on the hog. Regardless of what they spend it on, being on Food Stamps means you earn less than 130% of the FPL. Which means your life isn't exactly something to be envious of.

For an individual this means $14000 a year; for a family of 4 it means $29,000 a year. But the amount of food stamps you get is also limited by your income. So if you make right at the edge, you don't get very much assistance from the program.

SmuglyDismissed
Nov 27, 2007
IGNORE ME!!!
Fake jewelry?? What do I look like a poor person?

All of this welfare outrage bullshit is because people imagine having their current standard of living plus welfare benefits... If not for the extra headache, it would probably be ideal if everyone received an allowance from the government. Of course, these people would just moan about the restrictions on where they get to spend it. At the very least though, that would be helpful to low income people and not opposed to it.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Sarion posted:

Foolishly spending $400 on an iPhone or jewelry still isn't exactly living high on the hog. Regardless of what they spend it on, being on Food Stamps means you earn less than 130% of the FPL. Which means your life isn't exactly something to be envious of.

For an individual this means $14000 a year; for a family of 4 it means $29,000 a year. But the amount of food stamps you get is also limited by your income. So if you make right at the edge, you don't get very much assistance from the program.

For the iPhone, at least, it is a major investment towards the future! A good smartphone is almost essential now, and takes care of multiple things a poor person needs with a smaller pricetag. $300 + a monthly bill is less than: home internet + some entertainment + home phone. And, in this economy, you basically need to have a phone at all times for your job/job interview requests. Missing that request could mean missing out on a better job. Having a good phone is one of the best things a poor person can buy.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Slaan posted:

For the iPhone, at least, it is a major investment towards the future! A good smartphone is almost essential now, and takes care of multiple things a poor person needs with a smaller pricetag. $300 + a monthly bill is less than: home internet + some entertainment + home phone. And, in this economy, you basically need to have a phone at all times for your job/job interview requests. Missing that request could mean missing out on a better job. Having a good phone is one of the best things a poor person can buy.
A million times this. When I was job hunting my smartphone was everything. Besides allowing me to be in contact with recruiters it allowed me to apply for jobs online and email people about followups. It was my Internet connection and pretty much everything else.

modig
Aug 20, 2002

Sock on a Fish posted:

-2 votes for every dollar of tax break, -3 for every tax credit. If you end up negative you aren't allowed to run commercials.

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

jojoinnit posted:

A million times this. When I was job hunting my smartphone was everything. Besides allowing me to be in contact with recruiters it allowed me to apply for jobs online and email people about followups. It was my Internet connection and pretty much everything else.

These are good points and hadn't thought about it in this way before. I imagine most people think of it the way I initially did and just go "iPhone is a just a luxury item they should be doing without". But yeah a smartphone + plan is way cheaper and in some ways more useful than a computer+home phone+internet.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

SmuglyDismissed posted:

Fake jewelry?? What do I look like a poor person?

All of this welfare outrage bullshit is because people imagine having their current standard of living plus welfare benefits... If not for the extra headache, it would probably be ideal if everyone received an allowance from the government. Of course, these people would just moan about the restrictions on where they get to spend it. At the very least though, that would be helpful to low income people and not opposed to it.

An set monthly 'allowance' from government would actually reduce headache, because it could fold a whole bunch of entitlement and other benefit programmes into one easy check. The concept is called a Basic Income and a number of Nobel Prize in Economic winners came out in support of the concept including loving Milton Friedman and Friedrich Hayek. You are absolutely right that it would be ideal.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

jojoinnit posted:

Yep. This is why many homeless shelters and unemployment offices provide cell phones for the long-term and more trustworthy clients. They can use the cell phone to get a good job. Without a phone, you are screwed. I remember an NPR story about the long-term unemployed where a woman missed accepting a job offer (after 14 months of looking) because she was in the shower when the phone rang. They called the other finalist and get the acceptance immediately, so she lost the job.

She cried on the story. :(

madlobster
Aug 12, 2003

Vladimir Putin posted:

A refurbished iPhone 3GS 8GB costs $9 with a contract.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.
They sent my Census form back! AGAIN!!! In response to the question: "Do you have
any dependents?" I replied - "12 million illegal
immigrants; 3 million crack heads; 42 million
unemployable people, 2 million people in over 243
prisons; and 535 idiots in the U.S. House and Senate.
Apparently, this was NOT an acceptable answer. Feel free to re-post, if you agree-

I don't even know where to begin on this one.

ThePeteEffect
Jun 12, 2007

I'm just crackers about cheese!
Fun Shoe

apapersack posted:

They sent my Census form back! AGAIN!!! In response to the question: "Do you have
any dependents?" I replied - "12 million illegal
immigrants; 3 million crack heads; 42 million
unemployable people, 2 million people in over 243
prisons; and 535 idiots in the U.S. House and Senate.
Apparently, this was NOT an acceptable answer. Feel free to re-post, if you agree-

I don't even know where to begin on this one.

"And since there are over 200 million taxpayers, you are only supporting 1/4 of a person."

peter banana
Sep 2, 2008

Feminism is a socialist, anti-family, political movement that encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians.
I kind of agree that people shouldn't support 2 million prisoners.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

I like how unemployed = unemployable.

It's a just world out there.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

HipGnosis posted:

I kind of agree that people shouldn't support 2 million prisoners.
What would you suggest as an alternative?

Amarkov
Jun 21, 2010

Plom Bar posted:

What would you suggest as an alternative?

Reducing imprisonment to the levels of any other first world country would be a good start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Amarkov posted:

Reducing imprisonment to the levels of any other first world country would be a good start.
Ok good. Just making sure we weren't talking about letting prisoners rot.