Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

Duckman2008 posted:

Can you buy a photon for me? PM me if so :)

I don't have PM's, send me an email <redcated> - I'm not sure if I can, I've never bought a phone from the employee store and since I don't have an upgrade available I'm not 100% sure I can get it - but I'll try

edit: sold out now, sorry man :(

torb main fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Aug 19, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

M3wThr33 posted:

So the HTC official unlock is loving worthless... Whoop de doo.
Let's not jump to xda-style bullshit long-term conclusions juuust yet.

Although it is presently worthless.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

ThermoPhysical posted:

This slightly terrifies me for some reason. Probably because they bought qwest and qwest is horrible here.

I'd never heard many good things about Qwest, but I have no idea what CenturyLink is like. This is probably really bad news, though. :sigh:

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

So if I want to use a wiimote or most other bluetooth controllers on my Evo 3d, I need to install a new blutooth stack. Can I do that with the official unlocker or do I have to root it?

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

RodShaft posted:

So if I want to use a wiimote or most other bluetooth controllers on my Evo 3d, I need to install a new blutooth stack. Can I do that with the official unlocker or do I have to root it?

Currently you can't replace the bluetooth stack at all on the 3D until we get some AOSP builds.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

If I use the official unlocker on the Evo3D, can I then flash superuser.apk if I rename it to pg88316.zip or whatever it needs in order to be picked up by the boot strapper?

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

RodShaft posted:

Not sure about other controllers, but I was pleasantly surprised to find that a bluetooth keyboard works natively on the Evo3D.

M3wThr33
Sep 4, 2004

I gave up long ago trying to contribute anything ever.

Turnquiet posted:

If I use the official unlocker on the Evo3D, can I then flash superuser.apk if I rename it to pg88316.zip or whatever it needs in order to be picked up by the boot strapper?

The Evo 3D is my first Android, so the only rooting I've done before is on my friend's nook where it was easy.

But from my understanding AND verifying, it's S-ON, but unlocked, meaning you can't flash custom ROMs. Or anything, really. There's no real purpose to this unlock without making it S-OFF, where you can actually REPLACE the ROM.

And now that the updated phones are at HBOOT 1.50, Revolutionary doesn't work to make the phones S-OFF, so for now, we can't do anything.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
You can flash back to hboot 1.4 I believe.

tomguycot
Jan 11, 2001
Forum Veteran

Octavian posted:

Now my ISP wants to buy my cell provider. This can only end well, right?

Well at least it's not ATT or Verizon ...still I'm pretty sure this isn't "good" news for Sprint customers.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

M3wThr33 posted:

But from my understanding AND verifying, it's S-ON, but unlocked, meaning you can't flash custom ROMs. Or anything, really. There's no real purpose to this unlock without making it S-OFF, where you can actually REPLACE the ROM.
An unlocked bootloader is a subset of S-OFF functionality though. The device can be unlocked for practical purposes and still be S-ON. For example, the NAND lock is disabled as well as the update.zip signature check. But you might not be able to install a hacked radio.

Anyways, from xda there's older ClockworkMod recovery images that the officially unlocked fastboot will happily flash. It's the most recent one that won't work.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Duckman2008 posted:

Sprint is starting to differentiate between which network you use data on. What'd you think is coming next?
Unfortunately, something has to give. That being said, I still think Verizon's policies are atrocious right now, so I would take my Sprint family plan getting throttled over that.
The moment Sprint drops unlimited data is when I drop them in favor of a TMo monthly plan. The extra expense of my Sprint service is barely worth it as is; dropping unlimited data would shred the last value argument they have.
e: remember their cheapest public/modern plan is the $70 everything/450. Add $10 for a real phone and you are talking $85 a month, minimum.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Aug 19, 2011

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL
welp

http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/19/sprint-in-alleged-talks-to-acquire-clearwire-cablers-huddle-ro/

quote:

'Tis the season for patent disputes and wireless industry takeovers, or so a recent glut of moves would indicate. Shedding a little light on Clearwire's recently announced allegiance to LTE, Bloomberg is reporting that the company's currently in talks to sell its business to Sprint, and perhaps secure the funding it so desperately needs for a network build out. According to several insider sources, the third place wireless carrier's considering a joint investment (amongst other options) with Comcast, Cablevision and Cox, that would give the cablers a bundled high-speed, wireless broadband competitive advantage, and Sprint an LTE boost in its battle against AT&T and Verizon's rival 4G networks. None of the players in this rumored takeover have yet to comment on the purported transaction, although the business gossip has had quite an uplifting effect on Clearwire's shares. While we can't speculate as to the veracity of the claim, we know one thing for sure -- that LTE network's not gonna build itself.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

ilkhan posted:

The moment Sprint drops unlimited data is when I drop them in favor of a TMo monthly plan. The extra expense of my Sprint service is barely worth it as is; dropping unlimited data would shred the last value argument they have.
e: remember their cheapest public/modern plan is the $70 everything/450. Add $10 for a real phone and you are talking $85 a month, minimum.

I would bet unlimited data would stick around till end of year, they would be dumb to drop it before Christmas. Tmobile gets bought out by march, so unfortunately options are gonna be more limited.

And its not hard to find at least a discount of $10 a month with sprint, so sprint plans for one phone are really still $70 a month plus tax.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
My EVO 3D crashed completely randomly a little bit a go. I was just sitting there and the phone shut off, then it booted back up. The only reason I noticed it was because of the bright white screen and quick vibration at the beginning. The weird thing was that seemingly nothing triggered this. When it came back up, a message popped up that said the phone had crashed oddly and it wanted to send a report to HTC. Anyone get this before?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

visuvius posted:

My EVO 3D crashed completely randomly a little bit a go. I was just sitting there and the phone shut off, then it booted back up. The only reason I noticed it was because of the bright white screen and quick vibration at the beginning. The weird thing was that seemingly nothing triggered this. When it came back up, a message popped up that said the phone had crashed oddly and it wanted to send a report to HTC. Anyone get this before?

No, but the recent update has caused my phone to act as though there's some resource-heavy app running in the background, and this persists even after a battery pull.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
Anyone here in Portland? My EVDO speeds have been loving unusable lately, like last month at least. I can't even stream a loving podcast without it dropping out. I get maybe 200kbps in speedtest, and that's if I'm stationary. It's getting really frustrating. WiMax is almost completely pointless for me also, it drops out constantly if I'm in a vehicle, so I can't use it unless I'm outdoors AND stationary. Uhg.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

ilkhan posted:

I thought T mobile is becoming At&t though? It doesn't like there's any other option for unlimited other then sprint..

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

zer0spunk posted:

I thought T mobile is becoming At&t though? It doesn't like there's any other option for unlimited other then sprint..

He can hang with them until the assimilation. T-Mobile has non-contract options.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
And any material changes gets you out of the contract anyway.
$40/mo cheaper sounds pretty drat nice to me. $90/mo EVO4G vs $50 Sensation with value500/2GB. Even paying full price for the phone wouldn't crimp the deal too much. Thats only 10 months worth of savings out of 2 years. I barely use 10% of the 450 minutes I get with Sprint. Selling the EVO would cover ETF and maybe a little of the sensation. Finally the decent enough sensation is an upgrade over the EVO.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
Yeah, I called Sprint about the Administrative Fee hike and change in T&C's, and after a lot of bluster, was able to get out of contract. My contract says it was fulfilled yesterday. I'm going to T-Mobile :woop:

I don't really want to spend the $$ for a Sensation, so I got a line on a Moto Defy, wanna load up some of that MIUI lovin' on that waterproof bad boy. ;-*

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

ddogflex posted:

Anyone here in Portland? My EVDO speeds have been loving unusable lately, like last month at least. I can't even stream a loving podcast without it dropping out. I get maybe 200kbps in speedtest, and that's if I'm stationary. It's getting really frustrating. WiMax is almost completely pointless for me also, it drops out constantly if I'm in a vehicle, so I can't use it unless I'm outdoors AND stationary. Uhg.

You're lucky, I'm out in Cabazon, CA and getting around 60 kbps on average.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
My wife's 3D keeps getting error code 67 since the update which is causing data issues. Time to call Sprint I guess.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

How much is the administrative fee jumping again and when would that be?

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
My Evo 3D crashed and restarted like 5 times in a row, asking me to send error info to HTC, and it's also pretty warm :mad:

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

ThermoPhysical posted:

How much is the administrative fee jumping again and when would that be?

Its going up to $1.50, from 9/9 onwards.

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK

Mark Larson posted:

That's not terribly expensive to be honest. I'm not really sure why people are complaining. That's the price of an app or a soda. Really?

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Krittick posted:

That's not terribly expensive to be honest. I'm not really sure why people are complaining. That's the price of an app or a soda. Really?

People will take any opportunity to complain about something, *especially* when money is involved.

M3wThr33
Sep 4, 2004

I gave up long ago trying to contribute anything ever.
Okay. Got my Evo 3D rooted after flashing CWM with a superuser zip.

Anyways, I poked around the antenna settings after getting my MSL number.
I noticed the WiMAX_Scan_Attempt_Timeout was at 1. And I couldn't change it to anything LESS than 10. It was in seconds, and probably why I had lovely 4G reception. I'll mess around with it the next few days...

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Mark Larson posted:

So I'd pay an extra $1.50? That's not too bad. Thanks!

Granted, my bill is high due to Nebraska taxes on cellphones so it's still cause for alarm as it could go up higher while during my two-year contract...

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
So, the charging port on my EVO is hosed. One day I plugged in the charger and the usb cable wouldn't stay connected. The port is now loose and the usb cable has to be held in a specific spot for it to charge at all. It's a launch day EVO, and I have dropped it a couple of times (completely unrelated to the charging port) and I don't have TEP, so I'm fairly sure Sprint is going to want to charge me $100 for a refurb. I don't see it as being worth it to drop $100 on something thats lifespan is coming to an end fairly soon.

Is there a number I can call or someone I can email or something? I know this is an HTC manufacturing issue and has happened to quite a few people. All I want is someone to swap my phone for me.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

-Inu- posted:

So, the charging port on my EVO is hosed. One day I plugged in the charger and the usb cable wouldn't stay connected. The port is now loose and the usb cable has to be held in a specific spot for it to charge at all. It's a launch day EVO, and I have dropped it a couple of times (completely unrelated to the charging port) and I don't have TEP, so I'm fairly sure Sprint is going to want to charge me $100 for a refurb. I don't see it as being worth it to drop $100 on something thats lifespan is coming to an end fairly soon.

Is there a number I can call or someone I can email or something? I know this is an HTC manufacturing issue and has happened to quite a few people. All I want is someone to swap my phone for me.

Take it by a tech center, if you are lucky $35 gets you a refurb replacement.

Carnage
Sep 27, 2002

Mark Larson posted:

Yeah, I called Sprint about the Administrative Fee hike and change in T&C's, and after a lot of bluster, was able to get out of contract. My contract says it was fulfilled yesterday. I'm going to T-Mobile :woop:

I don't really want to spend the $$ for a Sensation, so I got a line on a Moto Defy, wanna load up some of that MIUI lovin' on that waterproof bad boy. ;-*

wait wait...because of this, i can get out of my contract and still keep my number/service with sprint? or this is specifically if i want to do away with sprint to go with another carrier? someone clarify?

Carnage fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Aug 20, 2011

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Carnage posted:

wait wait...because of this, i can get out of my contract and still keep my number/service with sprint? or this is specifically if i want to do away with sprint to go with another carrier? someone clarify?
It's specifically for claiming that material changes have been made to your contract, in an effort to get the ETF waived. You only encounter an ETF if you're leaving the carrier. You can't just magically jump from mid-contract to month-to-month.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

td4guy posted:

It's specifically for claiming that material changes have been made to your contract, in an effort to get the ETF waived. You only encounter an ETF if you're leaving the carrier. You can't just magically jump from mid-contract to month-to-month.

I guess you could get out of your Sprint contract, port to Google Voice or something, then sign back up with Sprint on a month-to-month type plan. But that seems like kind of a dick thing to do...

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

td4guy posted:

Moral dubiousness aside, you can call in and tell them you plan to port out your numbers (which would cancel your line/contract) and would like the contract marked voided/cleared/fulfilled so that there's no Early Termination Fee when you do port.

Whether you plan on leaving that day or sometime later that year, there's no point in remaining in a contract the carrier sees fit to nullify by milking an extra $0.50 from each subscriber line. I don't care how tiny they print some continuation clause on a paper bill I don't receive.

Would it be unethical to accept a bill credit they may offer in the future to put you back into contract? Meh. I can justify it the same way they do--it benefits them when then report subscriber numbers to shareholders.

EDIT: Apparently, they changed other parts of the Terms and Conditions as well, including the method of legal arbitration for settling disputes.

goku chewbacca fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Aug 20, 2011

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

brc64 posted:

I guess you could get out of your Sprint contract, port to Google Voice or something, then sign back up with Sprint on a month-to-month type plan. But that seems like kind of a dick thing to do...

If its his only number it would cancel his account, and carriers won't allow him to sign back up for I think 60 days (they track through social). Rejoining would sign a contract no matter what anyway, so unfortunately it wouldn't work.

I am jumping on the EVO 3D band wagon on Monday ish, any recommendations on a case with a kickstand? Also, process on rooting it?

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Aug 20, 2011

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

Duckman2008 posted:

Also, process on rooting it?

Hope it comes with hboot 1.3/1.4 out of the box and use revolutionary.io. If it comes with 1.5 then your only option is the HTC official or wait until revolutionary is updated (who knows when that will be).

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
So...

what do I need to do to update my rooted evo 3d? No roms on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

TLG James posted:

So...

what do I need to do to update my rooted evo 3d? No roms on it.

If you rooted it through the revolutionary.io tool, just grab a rooted OTA off of XDA and then flash through Clockwork.