Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

As an attempt to breathe some life back into this thread, there's a month to go now until Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 2 comes out in the US. I haven't seen much info out there on it, though. What's the differences, if any, it has from Joker 1?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I wonder what the story is with DQX. The Wii is approaching the end of its lifespan and the Wii-U is right around the corner. Will it be a launch title for the Wii-U (retooled maybe) or just a late release kind of like FF9 was back in the day?

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:
The JP 25th anniversary DQ1~3 collection coming mid-September will include DQX footage. I imagine it'd be for Wii given how SqEnix has released all DQ releases on the platform with the largest user base at the time.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:

Levantine posted:

I wonder what the story is with DQX. The Wii is approaching the end of its lifespan and the Wii-U is right around the corner. Will it be a launch title for the Wii-U (retooled maybe) or just a late release kind of like FF9 was back in the day?

I'd imagine Nintendo will somehow convince Square-Enix to push it onto the Wii U. Think Twilight Princess and Super Paper Mario.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I'm expecting DQ10 reveal at TGS.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Terpfen posted:

I'd imagine Nintendo will somehow convince Square-Enix to push it onto the Wii U. Think Twilight Princess and Super Paper Mario.

This is my suspicion as well. I'd hate to see it delayed to be retooled for the Wii-U though.

I was hoping they would do what Square Enix did with Final Fantasy 9 - the PS2 was in full swing when it came out but they released it as a PS1 game regardless. I don't know much about the Wii-U. Is it backward compatible?

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
There was a little bit of talk about it being a Wii title, but with some optional WiiU features. My bet is they do something like we saw with DQ IX, but with local multiplayer. Dragon Quest teams seem to be Nintendo good at keep things underwraps however. I really hope there is some big news this September. I have that Dragon Quest itch pretty bad.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Horii said he's not touching WiiU.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

iastudent posted:

As an attempt to breathe some life back into this thread, there's a month to go now until Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 2 comes out in the US. I haven't seen much info out there on it, though. What's the differences, if any, it has from Joker 1?

Most of the improvements are with the online multiplayer. Single player scenario seems similar to DQJ1 with a world scouting tournament.

I did see someone post this though which sounds neat.

quote:

The new draw-in is that monsters now have different sizes (1, 2, and 3. The max. on a team is three) which limits the power one team can have. No more badass teams of max. stat monsters ruling the tournaments. But size 3 monsters are so massive other monsters look like ants and respectively have more power and can attack 3 times.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Himuro posted:

That's actually really good news.

EDIT: I'll have to take your word for it - I don't remember the exact timing, just that I played it at launch on my PS2. For my old brain that could have been two weeks or two years after launch.
VVVVVV

Levantine fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Aug 19, 2011

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.

Levantine posted:

I was hoping they would do what Square Enix did with Final Fantasy 9 - the PS2 was in full swing when it came out but they released it as a PS1 game regardless.

The PS2 had only been out for a couple of months in Japan - with severe availability issues - when FFIX was released there. The PS2 had only been out for a couple of weeks when FFIX came out in North America. I would hardly call that 'full swing', especially since the game was in development long before the PS2 launched (though I'm sure its upcoming existence was known to Square). Considering the lacklustre performance of the Dreamcast, the incredible market penetration of the PS1, Nintendo's inadequate hardware at the time, and the XBox still a secret gleam in Microsoft's eye, making it a PS1 game seems pretty sensible.

The current situation is considerably different; all the current consoles are moving into the end of their lifespans, the next generation is still a total crapshoot, the de facto systems for RPGs right now are the portable ones, and console gaming in general is in decline in favour of mobile gaming. DQ9 was an awesome - and I dare say, successful - example of a portable system delivering a gaming experience worthy of the expectations heaped upon the granddaddy of jRPGs. Moving to a console is, frankly, a stupid move; forcing it onto a dying console would be even stupider. I'd be shocked if it isn't moved to the Wii U - fans will always endure the wait for a DQ game - or at least double released to both Wiis as Terpfen pointed out. To do otherwise would be a seemingly horrible business decision.

Preview edit: Or the big boss of the series could draw a stupid line in the sand and throw all sense out the window.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Levantine posted:

This is my suspicion as well. I'd hate to see it delayed to be retooled for the Wii-U though.

I don't think they'd retool it at all. Remember, Dragon Quest VII was delayed for years and received zero graphical polish amongst all its delays: it still looked like the same game at release that it did in screenshots released two years prior.

quote:

I don't know much about the Wii-U. Is it backward compatible?

Yes, I believe so.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Himuro posted:

That is an extremely bold statement. Is there any context? My guess would be he just understands releasing on home platforms is a losing battle next to handhelds, but for all I know Nintendo might've dropped the ball somewhere.

Dog Toggle Switch
May 16, 2006

Kiggles posted:

That is an extremely bold statement. Is there any context? My guess would be he just understands releasing on home platforms is a losing battle next to handhelds, but for all I know Nintendo might've dropped the ball somewhere.

Considering all the past main DQ games have been made for the predominant console at the time, I think it's par for the course for them to not bank on an unproven console.
If you take in the fact that Dragon Quest releases are something of a national event in Japan, whatever device is in the most hands of the Japanese will no doubt be what they design for.

Wouldn't shock me if it's the DS again.
Guaran-drat-tee it won't be 3DS.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Just seems a little too bold, unless the context was "never touching Wii-U for DQX". Otherwise I would assume he rather intends to disregard home platforms after DQX. IX sold outrageously well, I doubt there is any way DQX will come close while likely costing more to actually develop. This is why I just asked for some context. Never is a long time, and given Dragon Quest games tend to take a long time to develop, who in the world knows what the gaming landscape will be in another four years.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Vakal posted:

Most of the improvements are with the online multiplayer. Single player scenario seems similar to DQJ1 with a world scouting tournament.

I did see someone post this though which sounds neat.

Huh, interesting. Wonder how one big dude will handle facing a party of three smaller guys with a possibly more varied spell/skill set.

I have a feeling this isn't the case but will J2 bring back DQVC, or some kind of similar reward system for connecting online?

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I'm replaying Dragon Quest V on DS right now. I love it, it's great. Just got to the part where you're crowned king of Gotha but I've run into a string of bad luck, I guess. I've been trying to recruit this monster, Samigina, for awhile now. I must have slaughtered nearly 200 and still no dice. I've gained nine levels since I first found them! Mostly from the LMS that line the same cave (I figure I'll have one of those assholes join me before this guy does)

GameFAQs says it's a 1/32 chance, but drat, I do better at the 100 token slots than this!

EDIT: Also, haha, the Minidemon's name is Thamthon. :3:

HackensackBackpack fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Aug 21, 2011

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO
I need to get back to DQV, I think I'm still trying to find Bianca after the 8 year time skip. Monster recruiting is my favorite part. I love games where you can have monsters in your party.

Purple D. Link fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Aug 22, 2011

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Purple D. Link posted:

I need to get back to DQV, I think I'm still trying to find Bianca after the 8 year time skip. Monster recruiting is my favorite part. I love games where you can have monsters in your party.

The part you're referencing actually made me feel a little sad, with all that happens, especially with some of the party chat you can experience after the fact.

I've decided I want to waste time and try and recruit either a full team of Pips and/or a full team of Conks, even if they're useless. They're just so darn cute! :3:

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Well this is interesting: http://kotaku.com/5836874/brace-yourself-for-dragon-quest-x-news

I thought the Wii was confirmed as the platform for DQX a while back. I guess they may really be moving it off, to the 3DS maybe? I would really like a console DQ game again personally. Or am I just misunderstanding and it's talking about a new DQ title?

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Man, no one owns a 3DS. Put that poo poo on the Vita!

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Levantine posted:

Well this is interesting: http://kotaku.com/5836874/brace-yourself-for-dragon-quest-x-news

I thought the Wii was confirmed as the platform for DQX a while back. I guess they may really be moving it off, to the 3DS maybe? I would really like a console DQ game again personally. Or am I just misunderstanding and it's talking about a new DQ title?

Means absolutely nothing, other than that S-E has decided for some reason to be cagey about what the game is, and that saying it's a Wii game would pretty much confirm it to be DQX. Remember, a trailer is coming in a couple weeks with the DQ Collection for Wii regardless, so it pretty much has to be DQX even if SE has decided to arbitrarily put an air of mystery around the thing.

Also, remember that Horii reconfirmed DQX for Wii earlier this year. 3DS is quite a bit less powerful than Wii, and that platform switch would necessitate redoing most of the in-game assets at a lower polygon count. Considering the time frame when such a switch would have had to happen, I'd have to think that that would push any DQX reveal into 2012.

EDIT: Grain of salt: A generally well-connected NeoGAF member claims that SE has completely given up on the DQ series ever being commercially viable in the West, and has no intention of self-publishing even a mainline DQ entry again outside Japan. So basically, Western DQ fans would be completely hosed if the series ever returned to Sony platforms. Again, grain of salt.

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Sep 2, 2011

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Wendell posted:

You haven't been reading the 3DS thread! Some people are considering thinking about looking at maybe getting one!

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Leofish posted:

You haven't been reading the 3DS thread! Some people are considering thinking about looking at maybe getting one!

Blasphemy! We are just waiting for better games.

Please :ohdear:

Barry Convex posted:

Grain of salt: A generally well-connected NeoGAF member claims that SE has completely given up on the DQ series ever being commercially viable in the West, and has no intention of self-publishing even a mainline DQ entry again outside Japan. So basically, Western DQ fans would be completely hosed if the series ever returned to Sony platforms. Again, grain of salt.

A big grain of salt. DQIX sold like mad; DQVI is doing well too. Dragon Quest doesn't sell here like it does in Japan (where it's a national holiday every time there's a new one), but it sells good enough and SE needs the money.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Sep 2, 2011

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

Saoshyant posted:

A big grain of salt. DQIX sold like mad; DQVI is doing well too. Dragon Quest doesn't sell here like it does in Japan (where it's a national holiday every time there's a new one), but it sells good enough and SE needs the money.

Nintendo is the company that brought DQIX and DQVI to the west, not S-E. They'll also be the company bringing Joker 2 over here. DQIV and DQV didn't perform up to expectations at all, if I recall correctly, and I thought that was part of the delay behind DQVI being localized. S-E may need the money, but they also have shareholders to keep happy. A positive return on investment isn't enough if it's barely beyond breaking even.

As I said earlier in the thread, I'd be shocked if they get to keep DQX on the Wii. It just makes no drat sense. Or maybe this is something completely different, like Joker 3 or a DQVII remake for the 3DS.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Wendell posted:

This would be a great excuse for the developers to delay the game until the end of 2012, since the Vita is not even out until 2012.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Captain Vittles posted:

As I said earlier in the thread, I'd be shocked if they get to keep DQX on the Wii. It just makes no drat sense. Or maybe this is something completely different, like Joker 3 or a DQVII remake for the 3DS.

It's definitely DQX, even if you ignore the fact that a DQX trailer was already confirmed for the Wii collection shipping Sept. 15.

Out of curiosity, where do you expect it to end up, keeping in mind the reveal timing and that it was still a Wii title as of early this year? DQ isn't like other Japanese franchises - despite its current perfomance there, Wii still does have a massive installed base, and people will dust off their Wiis to play it. It won't do DQIX numbers, but it doesn't need to.

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Sep 2, 2011

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Levantine posted:

Yes, DQ10 was confirmed as a Wii game in 2009. But the fact that we've heard nothing about it for two years, and release wouldn't happen until 2012 at the earliest, and the fact that they're now being secretive about the platform for this new game… well, that's decent evidence that the game was moved to another platform. I'm hoping it's not the Wii U. Given the way Nintendo has jerked me around the last few years (beginning with moving Super Paper Mario to the Wii, forcing me to buy one, and then failing to make SPM2), I have zero interest in buying a Wii U.

Wendell posted:

I'm pretty sure there are more 3DS owners than Vita owners.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Terpfen posted:

Yes, DQ10 was confirmed as a Wii game in 2009. But the fact that we've heard nothing about it for two years, and release wouldn't happen until 2012 at the earliest, and the fact that they're now being secretive about the platform for this new game… well, that's decent evidence that the game was moved to another platform. I'm hoping it's not the Wii U. Given the way Nintendo has jerked me around the last few years (beginning with moving Super Paper Mario to the Wii, forcing me to buy one, and then failing to make SPM2), I have zero interest in buying a Wii U.

Gosh, if only there was more recent evidence of its status as a Wii title that was linked to in the post immediately above yours...

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I mentioned it in the DS thread, but I'm expecting (read: hoping, I don't know poo poo) it'll be some sort of Wii U/3DS cross-platform release, with a game released for both platforms that you can trade data between. Both platforms share a similar interface, the Wii U should be much better equipped for online stuff than the Wii, converting the Wii assets for the 3DS would be a relatively easy job; the Wii U could do with a big release window title, and Square-Enix would be keen to keep up the momentum they'v e built with DQ9 in terms of social elements, which the 3DS is practically purpose-built to do.

A mainline DQ has never been announced for a given platform before that platform has been on the market for some time and built up a significant install base. I very much doubt that DQX will end that pattern, considering that the sum total of evidence for a platform switch consists of pointing fingers at Wii's recent hardware sales - which would be cause for alarm, if DQ weren't one of only two God-tier third-party franchises in Japan (the other is now Monster Hunter Portable).

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Sep 2, 2011

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I mentioned it in the DS thread, but I'm expecting (read: hoping, I don't know poo poo) it'll be some sort of Wii U/3DS cross-platform release, with a game released for both platforms that you can trade data between. Both platforms share a similar interface, the Wii U should be much better equipped for online stuff than the Wii, converting the Wii assets for the 3DS would be a relatively easy job; the Wii U could do with a big release window title, and Square-Enix would be keen to keep up the momentum they'v e built with DQ9 in terms of social elements, which the 3DS is practically purpose-built to do.

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

Barry Convex posted:

Out of curiosity, where do you expect it to end up

Captain Vittles, earlier on this page posted:

I'd be shocked if it isn't moved to the Wii U - fans will always endure the wait for a DQ game - or at least double released to both Wiis as Terpfen pointed out.

Mind you, I said that before finding out Horii said he's not touching the Wii-U. I don't know why I'm spending time thinking about it, though, as I'm not buying a new console just for one game (even if it is a DQ game).

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:
I checked SqEnix's stock prices over the past decade. It's down by about half.

Since DQ is about the only really robust franchise they have going other than maybe the PSP FF fighting games, I hardly expect them to be adventurous and gamble with their top franchise on a new, unreleased platform.

I'd wager DQX is going to be released on Wii like they'd announced originally.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Barry Convex posted:

Gosh, if only there was more recent evidence of its status as a Wii title that was linked to in the post immediately above yours…

Gosh, if only SA posters gave more credit to people they sarcastically replied to.

First, I was already aware of the material you linked to.

Second, shipping a trailer with a Wii game does not indicate that DQ10 is still a Wii game.

Third, there is a reason unknown to us why S-E is being secretive about the platform DQ10 will be on. If it's still coming out for the Wii, why be coy?

Lastly, Nintendo has effectively abandoned the Wii, Skyward Sword notwithstanding. S-E will release a Dragon Quest game next year on a console currently hooked up to life support? Really? Granted, the Wii U is backwards compatible.

I'm just saying that the available evidence, to me, points to a platform change to be announced. I could be wrong, I could be right. But it increasingly appears that the initial announcement of DQ10 coming to the Wii has been nullified by what appears to be a fairly lengthy development cycle (assuming development was already underway in December 2008 when DQ10 was announced) and changes in the console market since.

We'll see.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

So what exactly would have changed since early this year that would have changed Horii's mind? Wii hasn't been faring dramatically worse since then. In addition, I had forgotten when I made that post that the CEO of Square Enix reconfirmed it for Wii just a bit over two months ago as well.

Again, DQX is not like other Japanese franchises (except MHP). It will be a multimillion-seller no matter what platform it's on.

As for the "mystery platform" thing: Square Enix has inexplicably decided to create a bullshit air of mystery around the press conference in an attempt to build hype, even though the timing of the trailer means that a DQX reveal is a foregone conclusion. They're not naming the platform because naming Wii would ruin this (completely unnecessary) mystery by all but confirming that it's a game that has already been announced for Wii, namely DQX.

If I'm wrong, of course I'll eat crow, but considering the evidence against a platform switch, I'm 99% certain that that's the explanation here.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Barry Convex posted:

As for the "mystery platform" thing: Square Enix has inexplicably decided to create a bullshit air of mystery around the press conference in an attempt to build hype, even though the timing of the trailer means that a DQX reveal is a foregone conclusion. They're not naming the platform because naming Wii would ruin this (completely unnecessary) mystery by all but confirming that it's a game that has already been announced for Wii, namely DQX.

If secrecy was the objective, they would pull an Apple and just schedule the press conference and refuse to talk about what products or franchises would be covered.

Of course, there's always the possibility that this isn't actually about DQ10.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Terpfen posted:

If secrecy was the objective, they would pull an Apple and just schedule the press conference and refuse to talk about what products or franchises would be covered.

Of course, there's always the possibility that this isn't actually about DQ10.

*shrug* Well, not like I can convince you myself. Less than 36 hours to go, we'll see who's right soon enough.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Is there a website that compares all of the differences between the Japanese and English versions of Dragon Quest/Warrior 1 (NES version)? I remember that there were some pretty big differences (like different graphics for people and clunkier save system), but I can't seem to find a website that shows them.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Terpfen posted:

Lastly, Nintendo has effectively abandoned the Wii, Skyward Sword notwithstanding. S-E will release a Dragon Quest game next year on a console currently hooked up to life support? Really? Granted, the Wii U is backwards compatible.

Yeah but everyone has a Wii.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
How in the hell is the Wii being on "life support" at all relevant? Are people going to refuse to play DQ on the Wii that they already own because there aren't other games coming out for it?

Also, we don't know for sure that they're being secretive about what platform DQX is coming out on, because for all we know this might be some crappy spin-off title that they're being coy about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

Adam Bowen posted:

How in the hell is the Wii being on "life support" at all relevant?

Here's my rationale, for what it's worth:
1. People who don't own a Wii (and yes, we do exist) probably don't want to buy one at this stage even for a DQ game, or we'll buy a used one which puts no extra money in Nintendo's pocket.
2. Of the many who own a Wii, how many are dedicated RPG players? Grandma may love Wii gardening (if it exists?), and your aunts and uncles may always want to play Wii Bowling during those interminable visits with the folks, but I doubt any of them want to sign up for 50+ hours of slime killing. Maybe this is different in Japan, but I doubt Nintendo is looking solely at Japan considering they'll be taking on the publishing risk for everywhere else.
3. Since DQ is a guaranteed best seller regardless of what system it's on, maybe Nintendo might want to force it onto the Wii-U or 3DS to boost sales of those new systems. No need to worry if the installed player base will bite when they can use a big name title to install a new base on a new system.
4. Point 3 is especially relevant for the Wii-U, as DQX would make one hell of a launch title. I don't care if it's never been done before; history is filled with success stories summarized as "He/she/they just did what wasn't done before."

As I noted, it's pretty telling that Horii said he's not touching the Wii-U, so it probably is just a silly publicity thing to add an air of coy mystery to what we already know (DQX on the Wii this Christmas or early next year). That doesn't sway in the least my belief that putting it on the Wii now is stupid, but I will concede that you guys are probably right.
:goonsay:

EDIT: That emote feels like a good addition to my thoughts.

Captain Vittles fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Sep 4, 2011