Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mouse Cadet
Mar 19, 2009

All aboard the McEltrain
Next Stop: Atlanta

movax posted:

You won't get playable gaming at that resolution but it will certainly be fine for desktop work.

Not a gamer, so that works with me. Would watching dvds/youtube be alright?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Mouse Cadet posted:

Not a gamer, so that works with me. Would watching dvds/youtube be alright?

It should be I think, that's a Bearlake isn't it?

Mouse Cadet
Mar 19, 2009

All aboard the McEltrain

movax posted:

It should be I think, that's a Bearlake isn't it?

Looks like G31 is Bearlake(G) and G33 is Bearlake (G+) according to wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_chipsets#5.2F6.2F7_Series_chipsets

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Either way, both should have more than enough power to do a DVD or YouTube. DVD is actually really low-power compared to most everything else these days; remember that a DVD is only 720x480 and 3-10Mbps. Some of the talking points for the G31/33 series is increased performance and fancy options for HD video streams (Clear Video, etc), so you'll be a-ok.

Mouse Cadet
Mar 19, 2009

All aboard the McEltrain

DrDork posted:

Either way, both should have more than enough power to do a DVD or YouTube. DVD is actually really low-power compared to most everything else these days; remember that a DVD is only 720x480 and 3-10Mbps. Some of the talking points for the G31/33 series is increased performance and fancy options for HD video streams (Clear Video, etc), so you'll be a-ok.

Sounds good. The U2412M is $400 now. Seems like people here are getting it for cheaper (325-350ish) from Dell. What's the best way to get that price?

HE ON THE TOILET
Jan 19, 2004

FUCK THE HATERS
TOILET SUPREMACY
My U3011 got in on Monday. Anyone have any suggestions on how to check for dead pixels? I doubt I'll have an issue, but I had to transport the thing in the backseat of my car for a few minutes (while unboxed) to get it to my apartment.

Wedesdo
Jun 15, 2001
I FUCKING WASTED 10 HOURS AND $40 TODAY. FUCK YOU FATE AND/OR FORTUNE AND/OR PROBABILITY AND/OR HEISENBURG UNCERTAINTY PRINCIPLE.

HE ON THE TOILET posted:

My U3011 got in on Monday. Anyone have any suggestions on how to check for dead pixels? I doubt I'll have an issue, but I had to transport the thing in the backseat of my car for a few minutes (while unboxed) to get it to my apartment.

search for "DeadPixelBuddy".

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

So right now I'm torn between the Dell U2410 and the HP ZR24w. If I have no use for the wide gamut of the Dell and am only planning on hooking up my PC and Mac to the monitor (so the scaler issue on the HP shouldn't affect me), is there any reason I should still go for the U2410? Build quality, picture quality, other quirks, etc.?

It's going to be my main monitor, and I'll be gaming on it quite a bit. I'm also going to be using it for video editing, but I don't do heavy duty color correction so that's not a huge issue.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

sethsez posted:

So right now I'm torn between the Dell U2410 and the HP ZR24w. If I have no use for the wide gamut of the Dell and am only planning on hooking up my PC and Mac to the monitor (so the scaler issue on the HP shouldn't affect me), is there any reason I should still go for the U2410? Build quality, picture quality, other quirks, etc.?

It's going to be my main monitor, and I'll be gaming on it quite a bit. I'm also going to be using it for video editing, but I don't do heavy duty color correction so that's not a huge issue.

Yeah, sounds the ZR24w would be a better choice for you. It'll have less input lag as well, which will be nice for your gaming.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

movax posted:

Yeah, sounds the ZR24w would be a better choice for you. It'll have less input lag as well, which will be nice for your gaming.

Thanks!

I'd still like to find an IPS monitor without a heavy anti-glare coating, but it seems as though the only one available is the Apple Cinema Display, which is completely out of my price range and has issues of its own.

Are there any monitors that have an IPS panel and either no or a very light AG coating at 1920x1200? If not I'll just bite the bullet and get the ZR24w, but considering I'd like this purchase to last for quite some time, I want to make sure it's the best option for me.

Raunchy
Jan 22, 2011

I am really liking this monitor x3 for my eyefinity set up http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236176 Problem is that I can't find any reviews on it. Would anyone have experience with model?

HE ON THE TOILET
Jan 19, 2004

FUCK THE HATERS
TOILET SUPREMACY

Wedesdo posted:

search for "DeadPixelBuddy".

Unfortunately I've got a single dead pixel on the display. I don't have the boxes anymore, however. Has anyone had any experience with Dell sending out a new monitor? Do I absolutely need the box?

Also the max resolution this monitor goes is 1920 x 1200. Windows won't let me crank it any higher. I've got it hooked to my video card via HDMI. Any suggestions?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

HE ON THE TOILET posted:

Unfortunately I've got a single dead pixel on the display. I don't have the boxes anymore, however. Has anyone had any experience with Dell sending out a new monitor? Do I absolutely need the box?

Also the max resolution this monitor goes is 1920 x 1200. Windows won't let me crank it any higher. I've got it hooked to my video card via HDMI. Any suggestions?

You can put the old monitor in the box they send you with the new one in it (they have always cross-shipped for me).

I think you need dual-link DVI or DisplayPort to run it at max res.

HE ON THE TOILET
Jan 19, 2004

FUCK THE HATERS
TOILET SUPREMACY

movax posted:

You can put the old monitor in the box they send you with the new one in it (they have always cross-shipped for me).

I think you need dual-link DVI or DisplayPort to run it at max res.

Gotcha. I'll give Dell Support a call tomorrrow. I swapped the HDMI cable with the supplied DVI cable and all is well. Thanks!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I don't notice any input lag with my U2410, this is playing high speed FPS games like old school DooM, newer school Crysis 2 and everything in between. I think these days unless you got super eagle vision, you won't see poo poo. :)

Alters
Mar 4, 2010

I'm looking to get a monitor that I can game on for under (or around) $100. Just recently got a new computer and don't have much to spare now.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+20%22+Widescreen+Flat-Panel+LCD+Monitor/1422209.p?id=1218257754431&skuId=1422209 I saw this monitor and it's at my local best buy. Other than the 60Hz refresh rate that can cause screen tearing that was mentioned in the OP, is there any reason not to pick this up?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Alters posted:

I'm looking to get a monitor that I can game on for under (or around) $100. Just recently got a new computer and don't have much to spare now.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+20%22+Widescreen+Flat-Panel+LCD+Monitor/1422209.p?id=1218257754431&skuId=1422209 I saw this monitor and it's at my local best buy. Other than the 60Hz refresh rate that can cause screen tearing that was mentioned in the OP, is there any reason not to pick this up?

$100 is a tough budget, but that'll get the job done. At 1600x900, your graphics card should be able to push enough FPS that you could VSync and game away merrily at 60FPS.

Alters
Mar 4, 2010

movax posted:

$100 is a tough budget, but that'll get the job done. At 1600x900, your graphics card should be able to push enough FPS that you could VSync and game away merrily at 60FPS.

Went ahead and bought it. Apart from being too bright when I first got it (easy fix), I'm happy with it. Thanks!

pee air
May 8, 2007

This is not my personal opinion.
I was looking at the Asus VG236H 23inch in the OP. The best price I could find was $349.98 (Canadian). I probably won't be using the 3D aspect of the monitor for a long time, if ever. So, am I wasting money? I want a good gaming monitor with at least 1920x1080 resolution and 120HZ refresh rate.

pee air fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Aug 21, 2011

movax
Aug 30, 2008

pee air posted:

I was looking at the Asus VG236H 23inch in the OP. The best price I could find was $485.46 (Canadian). I probably won't be using the 3D aspect of the monitor for a long time, if ever. So, am I wasting money? I want a good gaming monitor with at least 1920x1080 resolution and 120HZ refresh rate.

The 3D is just a bonus, but the VG236H is a very solid 120Hz monitor. I don't know the Asus series differentiators off hand (i.e. VS, VK etc), so they might make a non-3D version as well. The same characteristics that make a good 3D display also make for an excellent 2D display.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
Does the Dell U2311H go under 280 USD regularly? I really want one for gaming and some movies but since I'm now in school I can't really justify many purchases of that much money.

Are there other IPS screen brands to consider that are about 200 bucks and ~1080p and ~23"? I think there were some LG IPS screens about those prices but maybe I misread something somewhere. Any IPS at ~10ms or less won't have that much noticeable lag (in terms of gaming) correct?

I really sucks that I'm currently on some LG screen that's 1280x1024 when my computer can definitely max many games out at 1080p (moved and sold the stinky 2ms TF I had).

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

What's the cheapest way to run 4 monitors on a PC? I've currently got an AMD 5750 running 2 DVI and 1 Displayport screens but I could really do with another (got to monitor a lot of poo poo at work, yo). What's the cheapest way to do this that isn't ridiculously ghetto (i.e. I tried a PCI card and it was really unreliable)? All screens will be 1920x1080 and it's nothing graphically intensive, if that's relevant.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Anjow posted:

What's the cheapest way to run 4 monitors on a PC? I've currently got an AMD 5750 running 2 DVI and 1 Displayport screens but I could really do with another (got to monitor a lot of poo poo at work, yo). What's the cheapest way to do this that isn't ridiculously ghetto (i.e. I tried a PCI card and it was really unreliable)? All screens will be 1920x1080 and it's nothing graphically intensive, if that's relevant.

What CPU/Mobo do you have right now? Take advantage of integrated graphics if possible. Otherwise if you have more than one PCIe slot (sounds like you don't else you wouldn't have posted this), just toss another card in there.

Deathbecomesme
Dec 12, 2010
Never mind... got it.

Deathbecomesme fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Aug 22, 2011

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

GoldenNugget posted:

Are there other IPS screen brands to consider that are about 200 bucks and ~1080p and ~23"? I think there were some LG IPS screens about those prices but maybe I misread something somewhere. Any IPS at ~10ms or less won't have that much noticeable lag (in terms of gaming) correct?

The LG IPS231P or Asus ML239H are what you're after. I'm not American, but I'm pretty certain both are within your budget. The Asus is an ugly thing, but its responsiveness and input lag performances are superior to the LG's.

If you can cope with its looks, I'd recommend the Asus because it's better for gaming and almost $40 cheaper.

Pizer
Aug 8, 2004
Lucked out and found someone selling a "FW900 FD 24" for 150$, under 200$ with gas.

Anything I should look to check on these? I am going to bring along my laptop and a VGA cable to test it out.

simcole
Sep 13, 2003
PATHETIC STALKER
I read the OP and back about 5 pages, but I didn't see an exact answer for me. I'm looking for a TN panel for about $150-$200 that can play bf3 when it comes out on my Radeon 6850. I do not care about speakers integrated.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Pizer posted:

Lucked out and found someone selling a "FW900 FD 24" for 150$, under 200$ with gas.

Anything I should look to check on these? I am going to bring along my laptop and a VGA cable to test it out.

Quite a bit. Bring a XP VM with your laptop and run the Nokia Monitor Test on it. Can get some nice reads on the geometry of the monitor as it sits. Also check G2 voltage aka the Trinitron 'overbrightness' problem; the monitor should display deep, true blacks without having to crash brightness to 0. If you drop brightness to 0 but it's still very bright, and you see retrace lines, you have some work to do, so talk the price down.

Also check the AG coating and look for other obvious cosmetic blemishes, but that goes without saying.

simcole: that's a really broad set of criteria, I would pick something from Asus that is the size you want.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

simcole posted:

I read the OP and back about 5 pages, but I didn't see an exact answer for me. I'm looking for a TN panel for about $150-$200 that can play bf3 when it comes out on my Radeon 6850. I do not care about speakers integrated.

1. The OP really should be updated, since there's literally 4 monitors that anybody is recommending, and your question falls under one of them.

2. Are you sure you know how monitors work? There is no such thing as a monitor that won't display BF3, I'm not sure I understand what you're asking.

Enough scolding, your answer is go to newegg or amazon, find a monitor in the size you like and in your price range from a maker you've heard of, and buy it. They will all be TN and they'll all be pretty much the same.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Magic Underwear posted:

1. The OP really should be updated, since there's literally 4 monitors that anybody is recommending, and your question falls under one of them.

2. Are you sure you know how monitors work? There is no such thing as a monitor that won't display BF3, I'm not sure I understand what you're asking.

Enough scolding, your answer is go to newegg or amazon, find a monitor in the size you like and in your price range from a maker you've heard of, and buy it. They will all be TN and they'll all be pretty much the same.

We could probably use a new thread at this point.

simcole
Sep 13, 2003
PATHETIC STALKER

Magic Underwear posted:

I thought there would be more to it than that. I thought there WAS a difference in response time for gaming still as well as the color gambit spread. I was hoping for a more specific model recommendation that fit that bill, but I'll go just look at more reviews even though I trust SA reviews more.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
My U2311h has started doing this (imagine the pixels flashing.) Some colors make red pixels flash, and sometimes (someones avatar I didn't save does it) it creates a lines all the way across the screen. Fixable or RMA?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

movax posted:

What CPU/Mobo do you have right now? Take advantage of integrated graphics if possible. Otherwise if you have more than one PCIe slot (sounds like you don't else you wouldn't have posted this), just toss another card in there.

It's a lovely MicroATX board, it does have onboard but I've tried using it in conjunction with a card, it's too slow - can't manage Aero or whatever it is these days. MicroATX also means I only have one PCI-E slot :(

Bobulot
May 7, 2007

thylacine posted:

My U2311h has started doing this (imagine the pixels flashing.) Some colors make red pixels flash, and sometimes (someones avatar I didn't save does it) it creates a lines all the way across the screen. Fixable or RMA?

I'd just do the RMA. I just got a new U2412M that has hosed up blacks (they show as a deep red with vertical lines, no calibration will fix it) and the return process so far has been painless. In 2 days or so a new one will arrive in the mail with a prepaid return shipping slip for the original. It took 20 minutes on the phone to set everything in motion and the courier will come to my house to pick up the dud.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

thylacine posted:

Check your DVI/displayport cable as well. I remember once having a similar issue only with a particular HDMI->DVI cable, but all other cables worked fine.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Steakandchips posted:

Check your DVI/displayport cable as well. I remember once having a similar issue only with a particular HDMI->DVI cable, but all other cables worked fine.

Oh right, tightening my DVI cable seemed to work. I'm dumb.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Glad that solved it!

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Anjow posted:

It's a lovely MicroATX board, it does have onboard but I've tried using it in conjunction with a card, it's too slow - can't manage Aero or whatever it is these days. MicroATX also means I only have one PCI-E slot :(

Ah, you're kinda screwed then. PCI cards probably will not be able to do Aero either (and the rare contraptions with a PCI <-> PCIe bridge to get a modern GPU running will probably be horribly expensive). I don't know much about USB adapters, maybe look into those? Or the systems designed for laptops to give them multiple screens.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

If I bought a better motherboard that wasn't MicroATX and had more than one PCI-E slot on, and then bought a really cheap PCI-E graphics card, is it likely that I can run both that and my current triple head one to get 4 displays?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Anjow posted:

If I bought a better motherboard that wasn't MicroATX and had more than one PCI-E slot on, and then bought a really cheap PCI-E graphics card, is it likely that I can run both that and my current triple head one to get 4 displays?

Yeah, with multiple PCIe x16 slots, you're good (they just have to physically be x16, no need for electrical x16. The specifically x1/smaller cards have a bit of a markup price wise).

I also cleaned up the OPs a bit, added a TOC and such, as well as some text about generic TN recommendations.