Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

Hemish posted:

What about Assassin's Creed : Brotherhood? It's not on the wiki. Is there a reason? Like usual, spoilers free would be nice. I'll try to find if people talked about it in this thread...

I posted tips on AssBro earlier this page :v:

Edit: Well last page now I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I'm one of those rare people from Bizarro-world who actually really enjoyed Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising (I got the Platinum Trophy for it) despite it being a shoddy dumbed down version of the original and I just recently bought the sequel, Operation Flashpoint: Red River.

I'm assuming that most things that applied in Dragon Rising will apply for Red River, but is there anything specific I should keep in mind? This is on PS3.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

al-azad posted:

Finish SH2 you won't be disappointed.
Update: We're together now, in our special place.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Just finished Assassin's Creed 2 and I have a few pointers that weren't in the wiki:

- Try to wait until you're at your villa to buy armor/weapons due to the discount you get when you renovate the shops.

- The Bonfire of the Vanities DLC is very repetitive. Only buy it if you really want more assassination missions, since it's 10 of them in a row.

- Visit the fighting trainer at your villa as soon as he's available. He has a bunch of techniques he can teach you, but the game never really tells you so you can go by most of the game before realizing it.

- You can jump into water from any height without being hurt, so it's a useful alternative to hay. Also, watch out for shallow water in Forli.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Cbouncerrun posted:

Just finished Assassin's Creed 2 and I have a few pointers that weren't in the wiki:

- Try to wait until you're at your villa to buy armor/weapons due to the discount you get when you renovate the shops.

- The Bonfire of the Vanities DLC is very repetitive. Only buy it if you really want more assassination missions, since it's 10 of them in a row.

- Visit the fighting trainer at your villa as soon as he's available. He has a bunch of techniques he can teach you, but the game never really tells you so you can go by most of the game before realizing it.

- You can jump into water from any height without being hurt, so it's a useful alternative to hay. Also, watch out for shallow water in Forli.

Thanks, I've added this to the wiki.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Cbouncerrun posted:

I literally beat the game twice before someone told me you could do this. It's a handy thing to know.

Lofidelity Media
Nov 4, 2004

"Its a Strange World...Let's keep it that way."
I need some help!

I picked up Final Fantasy IV for the DS and I keep getting beaten to poo poo by the game. Is it just a matter of spending all your money on potions and hoping you hit a town before you burn through them?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Lofidelity Media posted:

I need some help!

I picked up Final Fantasy IV for the DS and I keep getting beaten to poo poo by the game. Is it just a matter of spending all your money on potions and hoping you hit a town before you burn through them?

FFIV DS is a lot different than the other versions of FFIV. The Augment system lets you do some really weird things, and they changed up the combat a lot. Most notably, combat almost plays out a lot more like an SMT game than anything. Basically, abuse the poo poo out of Slow because it works on almost anything and it will save your rear end many times over. Other than that fundamental thing, just play it smart and you'll be alright. Pressing "Attack" over and over isn't going to cut it here.

Artix fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Aug 17, 2011

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Nor is using the patterns you know from previous FF4 incanraitons, because they futzed with that just to be dicks.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
So anything in particular for Dungeons of Dredmor? I took a look at the thread but there didn't seem to be much in the OP of help.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
From a couple pages back, but there wasn't an answer for it so:

S-Alpha posted:

I've had Growlanser Generations (Growlanser 2/3, apparently) sitting around for a while, but never really messed around with it. I hear it's especially difficult, so what should I know before I get my rear end wrecked?

They're not horribly difficult, but the battle system takes a bit of getting used to in terms of management. Growlanser 2 especially, since by endgame you'll be fielding eight characters. GL2 is around 15 hours, GL3 is around 30 if you do everything.

Both games
-Magic takes time to charge, but you can hold it after it's charged for later use, and separate out the levels (so your Lv3 Attack Up can go all on one person, or one level each on three different people)
-Buffs stack for three levels, except for Cycle Up which is only one level.
-Upgrading your rings to hold better gems is important. Rings with a 0 slot are pretty much useless.
-The faster you beat enemies, the better rings they'll drop (if they do drop one).
-Grinding for levels is less important than your stats. There's six gems that give extra stat points on level up (three are Lv5, three are better forms and are Lv8) and are highly recommended to use.

Growlanser 2
-Characters get experience for each action they take. So people who hit more things will get more exp, and level up more. Try to keep things even.
-Your ending depends on who you pick to spend a day with near endgame. Their acceptance depends on your character relationship value, and that is mostly determined by dialogue options. Two of the female endings require a lot more than just being nice to them and I recommend a guide to get those. You MUST get the three female endings before you can get any of the male endings.
-Really there's a lot of optional things that are hard to find, so don't worry if you don't catch everything on the first time through if you're playing guideless.
-When buying armor, you can equip things that you don't have the STR for, but it'll lower your movement.
-If you ever get really stuck, there's a code you can enter to get all armor, all gems, and a good amount of decent rings to equip.
-The most important skills/spells/techs to learn are Dash, System Shock, Attack Up, Shield, and Cycle Up.
-Wein's starting stats are determined by the test you take early on.
-Even though he's more skewed to being a physical character, make sure Wein learns a healing spell and some buffs.
-Don't bother with random battles unless you're trying for ring drops. The experience is pitiful.
-In the mission titled "Escape", put a Quickness gem on Charlone, Dash with the guys, and go NORTH. Even though south looks easier, you will fail.

Growlanser 3
-Characters all get exp at the end of battle, so there's not as much issue with skewed levels here.
-You can only field four characters, which means selecting party members eventually. I used two close-range fighters, the long-range fighter, and a mage.
-Like GL2, there's a lot of little optional stuff that affect/unlock sidequests, and a guide is recommended to get everything.
-Also like GL2, Slayn's stats are determined by a test you take early on. This also determines what attack spell he starts with.
-Endings depend on the visitation time you get with party members between missions, except for one of them. The first person you visit during these times gets the largest affection boost.
-Once the arena opens, it's easy to buff up your stats to obscene levels. I could go in depth if you'd like.

Edit: Reworded and added some things.

KariOhki fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Aug 18, 2011

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
How about Suikoden? I have just downloaded this off PSN and have never really played them. Having to try to find so many party members seems kind of intimidating to me. I know that if they have a portrait they are recruitable at some point. What other points do you guys have?

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
Suikoden: If you want to get all the characters and get the best ending, then you straight up need to play it with a gamefaqs window open. There are 108 characters to recruit and many are nonintuitive or permanently missable. If you don't care about getting every last character it's a quite a straightforward RPG and the guys you recruit through the story are more than adequate to beat the game.

The one thing I will say is keep Pahn leveled if you're going for every character, you will see why. Gameplay spoilers: He will leave your party for a time and get behind on levels, but soon after he rejoins you later in the game, you are forced to fight in a one-in-one duel using him, and if he loses he's dead.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Artix74 posted:

So anything in particular for Dungeons of Dredmor? I took a look at the thread but there didn't seem to be much in the OP of help.

Wait for the next patch :v: I kid, I kid. It would be worth it to just ask in the Dredmor thread but in the meantime...

-You don't need to have found a hidden recipe in order to use it, so if you want to look them up online or remember any from prior playthroughs, feel free to use them on a given character.

-Make sure you can either deal damage at range (ranged attacks or magic), or instantaneously create range between yourself and a monster (teleport spells or the awesome Knightly Leap). Preferably both. Related to that, there's currently no penalty for using crossbows or throwing weapons without tabbing the appropriate skill, so feel free to hang onto a crossbow and any bolts you find.

-Speaking of Knightly Leap, if you're confused about how it works then think about chess.

-The Hoardic Lutefisk Cube allows you to turn unwanted items into Lutefisk, which can then be donated to Lutefisk shrines in exchange for artifacts. There is an achievement for putting a Lutefisk Cube into another Lutefisk Cube, if you're into that.

-Be careful around Brax (the merchant) if you see a monster in his shop; if a stray AoE attack hits him (even if you don't mean to attack him) he will send waves and waves of strong demons after you and you will probably die. The most common culprit is the 1st-level buff for Astrology, which occasionally triggers a flash around you when you're attacked.

-Food and booze only heal you as turns go by. If you're low on health and need healing fast, you're better off drinking a Health Potion unless have enough room to eat something and run away.

-If you want to blow through the game, play a mage and specifically tab Blood Magic, Promethean Magic, and Alchemy. Maybe Archaeology too (which is a good skill on any character, in fact)

-Before you open a door, think to yourself "Am I ready to face 100 monsters at the same time?". Because sometimes you'll have to.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Aug 19, 2011

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

Suikoden: If you want to get all the characters and get the best ending, then you straight up need to play it with a gamefaqs window open. There are 108 characters to recruit and many are nonintuitive or permanently missable. If you don't care about getting every last character it's a quite a straightforward RPG and the guys you recruit through the story are more than adequate to beat the game.

The one thing I will say is keep Pahn leveled if you're going for every character, you will see why. Gameplay spoilers: He will leave your party for a time and get behind on levels, but soon after he rejoins you later in the game, you are forced to fight in a one-in-one duel using him, and if he loses he's dead.

I disagree playing with a guide for the entirety of the game. When you start playing any of the Suikodens, the first thing you should do is google "Suikoden X missable characters". Normally you'll get a forum post or web page detailing the 3-4 characters that you might miss on a regular playthrough. Other than those, I highly recommend playing the game on your own without a guide, and using the game's own detective mechanic (Which you'll unlock through playing) to recruit characters.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

fount of knowledge posted:

I disagree playing with a guide for the entirety of the game. When you start playing any of the Suikodens, the first thing you should do is google "Suikoden X missable characters". Normally you'll get a forum post or web page detailing the 3-4 characters that you might miss on a regular playthrough. Other than those, I highly recommend playing the game on your own without a guide, and using the game's own detective mechanic (Which you'll unlock through playing) to recruit characters.

Yeah, especially for the first two the only way you'll miss stars is by intentionally not recruiting them (and, admittedly, having them die in war battles if you're terrible at them) - just keep at every person with a portrait until they give in. The only one I remember being missable missable is Leon, as there's only a few windows where you can talk to your strategist without starting a battle to get his recruitment letter. Google also says the highest level blacksmith can apparently be missed, since you need to bring all four other blacksmiths to recruit him and past a certain point your party will only have three open spots in it. I don't know why you wouldn't immediately go grab him as soon as you have the chance, he isn't exactly hidden or anything, but there you go.

Now, if we're talking about V that might be a bit different - given how many people apparently completely hosed up recruiting the detective agency (which is like twelve stars gone on its own, not to mention how many you'll miss without their help), I suppose I could accept using a guide for that one.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
What is the detective tool? I havn't recieved it yet but I just started playing the game so who knows.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

...In retrospect, I don't think there is one in the first game. In every one beyond that though you can recruit a detective who you can pay to tell you where and how recruits can be found (and also details on people you have recruited, but that's beside the point). So just do your best to keep track of portraited people, do a round through the towns every now and again, and keep in mind that major war battles and castle upgrades tend to be the flags for people to become available.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
I'm going to reiterate a few tips for Suikoden 1. I played it recently so there's a few things still fresh in my mind. This is if you're not going to use a guide:

-The Prosperity Rune is fantastic; always keep it on once you can get it. The Fortune Rune is kind of crappy.

-Flick and Vincent will not always be in your party but they are powerhouses throughout the game.

-When the plot sends you to Soniere Prison for an antidote only use store bought runes for this event.

-When you start recruiting the game's triggers involve around coming back later in the game at a higher level, or with an upgraded castle; coming back with the right people on your team; completing mini-games; giving crystals/runes/items to people that mention them; re-visit borders/small towns at later parts of the game, and re-enter endgame dungeons (including boss chambers)

-Four bullshit recruitables require you to eat some stew in an empty house, get a Nameless Urn that drops from enemies (location: Holly Fairies on the world map sometimes drop them), another will show up at an inn at Rikon randomly, and finally one requires you to have a certain recruited elf character at a high level.

-Never ever kill or execute anyone when given the choice. Always be benevolent to the point where it hurts.

-If someone dies in warfare, reload your save if you're aiming at the best ending.

-Abuse your reconnaissance commands in warfare. If you do everything right, most battles end in less than 5 turns so use your highest attacking units.

-Duels are based on the fighter's stats. If you cannot win a duel just level up that person.

-Your opponent in a duel will always talk before they take any actions. Most fighters will comment about their attacks before they attack or scream before using a fierce attack. The same applies when they try to badger you to attack them at full strength. Some are less obvious, but there are plenty of signs to make duels easy enough.

-The point-of-no-return deals with your jail inside the castle (its the only time it will ever be used). You'll have the option to talk to someone you have captive; be sure to complete everything you need to complete before initiating the dialog here.

-When the final boss uses their rune in plot mode, you can go apeshit with yours once you start the battle. I made the mistake of thinking there was more and ended up conserving my spells which added about 30 minutes to that fight.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
I got the Breath of Death VII/Cthulhu Saves The World thing, any tips?

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Here are some unrequested tips for Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3 since I just hit 40 hours in that game.

In the beginning of the storyline mode there are 4 paths. Complete all of these before starting on the joint paths, and do all the sidequesty collection or friendship missions. Always do the new memorial missions, these unlock very important things like the ability to get higher rank mobile suit plans and additional items. On the same note, as you're switching around pilots, don't be afraid to use your money to upgrade mobile suits you're going to be using for a few missions, because all the money spent in that place will unlock higher tiers of things equippable to your mobile suit. Once you have rank 4 plans and a rank 10 mobile suit shop, slap Ace Killer/Heat Up/Beginner's Aid on any rank 4 suit, use the bonus points on maxing out either shot or melee depending on what your suit does the most, and proceed to throw in lvl 1 pilots in them and still win 8 star missions on normal without much problems, leveling them up massively in the process.

After you hit rank 10 in the mobile suit factory, feel free to be cheap and buy a license for your most powerful mobile suit and chuck in pilots in it as you see fit, but remember that relationship missions and history missions require pilots to be in their original suits, or alternate suits they can be in.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Got Deadly Premonition and read some of the beginners guide, having a bit of trouble understanding what this means.

•Infinite Magnum: Complete sidequest [11: Snack for Willie] BEFORE [49: Seven Bones].
◦This becomes available in chapter 8. Find all 7 bones marked on your map, then find Willie, who will run off with them. Retrieve the bones from Kaysen's pick-up truck to complete the quest.
◦If you let Willie run off with fewer than 7 bones, this quest can be done repeatedly as long as you have not yet completed sidequest 49.
◦You must have all 7 items required for this sidequest in your inventory before meeting Willie to fully complete it.
◦Completing sidequest [49: Seven Bones] BEFORE doing this quest properly will result in making it impossible to get the gun.

If I want to get the gun what do I have to do? Collect all seven bones and give them to a guy and then I get the gun?

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

thebardyspoon posted:

Got Deadly Premonition and read some of the beginners guide, having a bit of trouble understanding what this means.

•Infinite Magnum: Complete sidequest [11: Snack for Willie] BEFORE [49: Seven Bones].
◦This becomes available in chapter 8. Find all 7 bones marked on your map, then find Willie, who will run off with them. Retrieve the bones from Kaysen's pick-up truck to complete the quest.
◦If you let Willie run off with fewer than 7 bones, this quest can be done repeatedly as long as you have not yet completed sidequest 49.
◦You must have all 7 items required for this sidequest in your inventory before meeting Willie to fully complete it.
◦Completing sidequest [49: Seven Bones] BEFORE doing this quest properly will result in making it impossible to get the gun.

If I want to get the gun what do I have to do? Collect all seven bones and give them to a guy and then I get the gun?
Snack for Willie and Seven Bones use the same quest items, but involve different NPCs. If you get them all and do Snack for Willie first, you'll get the magnum and the quest items back. If you do Seven Bones first, you'll lose the quest items permanently.

Also note that Snack for Willie can be done multiple times, but I'm pretty sure you won't get the infinite magnum until you trigger it when you have the complete set of quest items.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Random Hajile posted:

Snack for Willie and Seven Bones use the same quest items, but involve different NPCs. If you get them all and do Snack for Willie first, you'll get the magnum and the quest items back. If you do Seven Bones first, you'll lose the quest items permanently.

Also note that Snack for Willie can be done multiple times, but I'm pretty sure you won't get the infinite magnum until you trigger it when you have the complete set of quest items.

OK that's much simpler, thanks. So if I collect them all it'll be pretty obvious when I can give them to a guy right and it'll ask me first so it's nearly impossible to dick myself over? Don't think I've met Willie yet, just did the big town hall meeting.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Not to be "that guy" but maybe some of that should be in spoiler tags? I can imagine it would be frustrating to someone who wants to do all the side quests and figure out what the rewards are on their own.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

Ainsley McTree posted:

Not to be "that guy" but maybe some of that should be in spoiler tags? I can imagine it would be frustrating to someone who wants to do all the side quests and figure out what the rewards are on their own.
This entire thread is comprised of gameplay spoilers.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!

Lofidelity Media posted:

I need some help!

A few more things:
-Don't horde your augments, because you can actually miss out on other ones by holding on to your old ones. When a party member leaves, you'll get their augments back, plus even better ones depending on how many you put on them. Basically just throw them at characters (except Cecil, since he's obviously in the party constantly. Only give him ones you want him to have).
-If you need to constantly run from battles to make it to the next area, you're going to be absolutely crushed by whatever the next boss is. There were a couple bosses that were so strong I thought "Oh, this must be one of those battles where you're supposed to lose." Nope, that was wishful thinking.
-Make use of your status effects. There's a particular boss where you have to win in a limited amount of time, and the only way I could manage it was by casting slow on him, haste on my party, and then hitting as hard as I could. Status effects work on way more things than usual for a Final Fantasy game.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Chief Savage Man posted:

I got the Breath of Death VII/Cthulhu Saves The World thing, any tips?

My tips from four pages back:

I just beat Cthulhu Saves the World. If you've played just about any JRPG, you won't need much help. However:

-If you plan on exploring everywhere you can, you might be tempted to hold off buying armor and weapons until you're fairly sure you won't find it in some cave. However, money becomes super useless because you can't buy healing items, so buying stuff can't really hurt.

-I only had to start grinding when I got to the final dungeon. Up until that point, just trying to fully explore each area gave me enough experience to move on.

-Insanity is a real mixed bag. I tried always using it and got killed and I tried never using it and got killed. What worked best for me is not using it but if I came to a battle that I struggled with, throwing it into the mix.

-Debuffs are awesome. The girl you get in the beginning eventually gets a Blind all enemies skill at works 80% of the time. It's invaluable.

-All characters get the same amount of experience, if they are in your party or not. So experiment until you find a line up you like. I used Cthulhu, first girl, sword guy and the dragon. If you are in a long dungeon and someone runs out of MP (some later enemies are real damage sponges), just rotate someone new in.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

This entire thread is comprised of gameplay spoilers.

Seeing as how the thread's purpose is literally asking about games before playing them, spoilers should still probably be in spoiler tags.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The only thing that "spoils" is the name of two characters and two quests.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

thebardyspoon posted:

OK that's much simpler, thanks. So if I collect them all it'll be pretty obvious when I can give them to a guy right and it'll ask me first so it's nearly impossible to dick myself over? Don't think I've met Willie yet, just did the big town hall meeting.

Im just going to outright tell you since it isn't much of a spoiler. The person who takes the bones away permanently is the gravedigger. So just don't go to the Graveyard with them until you have the infinite magnum.

The spoiler is about the quest giver that takes away the bones permanently

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Anything I should know before playing Torchlight? I know someone posted about it some time but it's not in the wiki yet.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Gaggins posted:

Anything I should know before playing Torchlight? I know someone posted about it some time but it's not in the wiki yet.

I have searched through the thread and added some tips to the wiki for you!

http://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Torchlight_1

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

blackguy32 posted:

Im just going to outright tell you since it isn't much of a spoiler. The person who takes the bones away permanently is the gravedigger. So just don't go to the Graveyard with them until you have the infinite magnum.

The spoiler is about the quest giver that takes away the bones permanently

Yeah I just got to the point where Willie and other guy appears so I don't have to worry about it anymore but thanks. Last question, I'm at Chapter 8, the point where George and Emily want to go to the gallery. Obviously I can tell them to go on without me but will they stay up there until I go meet them or will they go up there until it closes and then move around like normal each day? Since the next sidequests I was planning to do involve those characters it'd be useful to know if they'll be in their houses at night. Should've just done all the sidequests in chapter 2 really but I thought the game would stop telling me to go places a bit earlier than it has and I like the cop conversations.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Centipeed posted:

I have searched through the thread and added some tips to the wiki for you!

http://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Torchlight_1

Thanks for doing all this, it's a very useful site.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Any tips and help for Blood Bowl: Legendary Edition? The wiki doesn't have anything.

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010
Anything worth knowing for The Lost Planet games?

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Muppetjedi posted:

Google tells me the only tip in the entire thread is this, and it's for Lost Planet 2:

- Never ever play offline. The game is near impossible and extremely unfun in single player.

I have added it to the wiki.

PRL412
Sep 11, 2007

... ... MINE

Muppetjedi posted:

Centipeed posted:

Google tells me the only tip in the entire thread is this, and it's for Lost Planet 2:

- Never ever play offline. The game is near impossible and extremely unfun in single player.

I have added it to the wiki.

Bare with me as this is long, and repeats itself a little bit. I figured both pages should make sense individually in case someone only plays one of the games.

-----

Here's some general info catered to Muppetjedi:

-The plot in both games is worthless, although the sequel is gorgeous looking and sometimes funny.
-The hook-shot is your best friend, especially in Lost Planet 2. Repelling is - and will always be - awesome.
-It may help improve your experience if you are already a fan of the Monster Hunter series, as there is a lot of recycled gameplay (animations especially).
-There is a decent online community, especially on XBL as the Platinum titles version ("Lost Planet: Colonies") added extra modes.

-----

Specific stuff for Lost Planet (some of which is never mentioned in game):

-You will constantly lose Thermal Energy (or T-ENG) due to living on an ice cube of a planet. This remains constant throughout the game and includes indoor areas and enclosed spaces that look like they should have enough heat to melt your face off.

-T-ENG will automatically regenerate your health bar. However even with max T-ENG, you can die if you take too much damage at once.

-Take solace in the lack of fall damage, but be careful when platforming around bottomless pits and lava.

-The hook-shot has a limited range, but it can pick up energy and can latch on to every surface. At some point you will accidentally walk off a ledge and the hook-shot will (automatically) save you from climbing up the long way.

-The game is full of mechs you can use (called Vital Suits or VSs). They are all fairly slow and require T-ENG to function, but you will want to learn what each one can do. Some only have one weapon slot, some have two. Some may transform into other vehicles, others may have jump jets/thrusters to help you maneuver.

-Energy weapons feed directly off of your T-ENG. While extremely powerful, attaching them to your VS will require you to be swift and vigilant in your search for more T-ENG.

-This will come to no surprise after reading the first few points, but you will want to collect as much T-ENG as possible. It is dropped by everything you can kill or destroy (dataposts, explosive barrels, humans, VSs, silos, akrid, etc), but know that some more efficient to pick up than others. Jusy keep an eye out for pockets of it, the less guarded it is the better off you are.

-Dataposts are a good source of energy, but can be skipped if they're not a mission critical goal or if you have a lot of T-ENG already.

-Unless you see a large health bar on screen (indicating you've entered a boss fight), you can keep on running past everything. This makes much of the game trivial, but also helps if you want to bring certain VS into the boss battle.

-Most akrid (the aliens) have yellow spots that indicate weak points. As these spots take damage, they will become brighter and finally break, either killing or wounding the akrid.

-This is especially important in boss fights, where you will need to destroy limbs to access other more vulnerable weak points. Their limbs regenerate much faster, so you may only have a limited time damage them.

-Boss fights will be your biggest obstacle both literally and figuratively. You will likely die numerous times before you find a pattern that keeps you alive long enough to kill it.

-In at least one boss fight, you will need to sever multiple limbs in order to access a weak spot that takes damage. A good plan of attack is to damage two weak points until they're both a bright orange colour. That can insure they will break around the same time.

-Transitions into boss fights can be sudden and leave you trapped in a pit. While most boss fights have weapons and equipment, you will always want to be amply prepared because switching out equipment can be cumbersome.

-Boss fights, save the big guns like rockets and grenade launchers until later in the fight as the bosses will tend to attack more frequently and take less breaks. This may back fire as in the case of a certain flying boss that becomes increasingly agile. So alternatively, you may want to bring energy weapons (all the more reason to salvage T-ENG while running past everything else).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRL412
Sep 11, 2007

... ... MINE
Had to break this into two posts. It wouldn't submit properly.

-------

Specific stuff for Lost Planet 2:
-This game was built from the ground up as a multi-player/co-op game. So finding someone else to play with is recommended.

-It's highly recommended to play the original game first, even though they have their differences. This is both because you should get used to the play mechanics and because the second is a lot tougher (especially single player, even with your team of 3 AIs running around). Think of the first as an extended tutorial, as it is fairly short if you simply run through it.

-Do not expect to unlock everything in the game. The items/outfits/taunts are doled out randomly and often repeat themselves. The more you have, the less likely you will find something new.

-You will constantly lose Thermal Energy (or T-ENG) in arctic/stormy areas ONLY. The environment is far more varied in this game, and you will need that T-ENG to survive the other perils in the game.

-T-ENG will automatically regenerate your health bar, however only at a very slow rate this time around. You must push and hold the START button to quickly regenerate health. This also means finding cover before doing so.

-There's still no fall damage, but be careful when platforming around pits, lava and deep water.

-The hook-shot has a larger range than in the first game and can now pick up weapons and equipment in addition to energy. You will also need to abuse it in order to complete some of the tutorials.

-The game is full of mechs you can use (called Vitals Suits or VSs). As in the first game, they are all fairly slow and require T-ENG to function. They are even more specialized in this game and each has a distinct function. There's a even a trophy/achievement for finding the special function of two specific mechs.

-Energy weapons feed directly off of your T-ENG, and are still the best in the game (with the possible exception of a certain melee weapon).

-You will want to collect as much T-ENG as possible. It is dropped by everything you can kill or destroy (explosive barrels, humans, VSs, silos, akrid, etc), but know that most of it will come from the game's enemies and dataposts.

-While you can still run past enemies, you will encounter many doors/gates/barriers that prevent you from running to the end of the level. Running ahead is also a good way to get killed in this game.

-With the above said, plan your attacks to clear out required areas. Use choke points to thin numbers, and use your grenades wisely.

-Boss fights will be your biggest obstacle both literally and figuratively. The fewer (human) players alongside, the longer the fight will be. You will likely die numerous times before you find a pattern that keeps you alive long enough to kill it.

-----

Feel free to correct me (or add clarity) for anything.