Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

myron_cope posted:

Are any of those the China trip one? (or is it two?)

Yep. I kinda liked that arc.

I really hated Kate in the Middle East episodes when she got shoehorned as some sort of godlike figure, but once she went to being a background character she was cool. Mary McCormack is also excellent so that helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
Goddamn it you assholes. I'm going to have to dig this out and watch it again from the beginning.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
Studio 60 is so much better with Harriet as Kristen Chenowith.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I'm finishing up season 1, but I can't decide whether I love or hate how much they say the word "OK" in this show.

I can safely say I love it each and every time Danny says it, however.

scr0llwheel
Sep 11, 2004
ohelo
Just finished watching "The Debate." Pretty good episode. I read some trivia that Smits blew some of his lines on the East Coast version. Is there a video somewhere of the differences?

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I'm finishing up season 1, but I can't decide whether I love or hate how much they say the word "OK" in this show.

I can safely say I love it each and every time Danny says it, however.

....ok.

I noticed that too. It's such a nice thing though. There's no bitching or complaining, if someone needs something from someone the response is just a quick "Alright got it". People should do that more in real life.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

That quirky dialogue actually tones down as the show goes on. I'm on season 4 right now and most conversations just sound normal. It's also weird to go watch the pilot again and go back to season 4. The offices were all bustling and loud and now the are dead quiet and there's barely any staffers around. It's empty.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I just watched the episode where Margaret goes before the congressional panel to answer questions. It's Darby from SoA! His suit at least covered up his swastika tattoos.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

kissyboots13 posted:

No, I have the exact same reaction to her. I find her unbelievably irritating, every time she is on screen. I think it's a common reaction, or at least I've never heard anyone say they LIKE Mandy.
In the pilot, when she and Josh are eating in the diner and the two Florida State girls come up to him, the final shot when says "Yeah" in response to Josh's question, "You and Lloyd Russell?", the way she says that as she takes a bite of her sandwich always bothered me.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

And her stupid hat

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I've been watching the series over again, and am about halfway through season 1, so I feel like I'm an expect to speak on the Mandy problem.

I think, even if she's annoying, that the fundamental problem is that she's always wrong. If you're going to have a character that does nothing more than show up in the middle of each episode's crisis to tell everyone why they're wrong, then she needs to be right once in a while. But she never is. She's just this whiny individual who doesn't know anything and is slowing everyone else down for having to discuss it with her.

There's actually an episode in season 1 which is subtlely about how useless Mandy is. Check out Enemies - episode 8. Ostensibly, it's about the President using the Antiquities Act to protect Big Sky, and Sam writing a birthday message, but in truth it's about a much larger issue. There are about 4 Mandy scenes in the episode, and in none of those scenes does Mandy offer any valid advice, and no one she's speaking to even wants to be in the conversation. Her job apparently consists of going around the White House and yelling at everyone she can find, but, like I said, she's never, ever, ever correct.

Mandoira
Jul 27, 2003

There are four kinds of Homicide: felonious, excusable, justifiable, and praiseworthy.

Mu Zeta posted:

Season 6 has some decent episodes. These are the ones I'd watch

11 Opposition Research
13 King Corn
15 Freedonia
17 A Good Day
18 La Palabra
20 In God We Trust
21 Things Fall Apart
22 2162 Votes (not a huge fan of this one but the ending is awesome)

I liked all of these and they are all the Vinick and Santos campaign episodes. Alan Alda won an Emmy for his work here and Vinick is a really good character. I'm looking at the episode guide and all the other episodes are definitely "skips" for me.

Good list. I'm a bit late to chime in but I also really enjoyed S6E10 "Faith Based Initiative", where Santos decides to run. Episode ends with Josh telling Bartlet he's going to go help the campaign. Beyond this it deals with how homosexuals are discriminated against when CJ has rumors about her started by the media. Rather than just "No Homo" CJ goes all "it's none of your drat business" at the press. It's a good episode and Jimmy Smits gives his first Diet Obama trump speech at the end.

I'm pretty sure I've said it before in this thread but I really think that the second half of S6 and most of S7, basically any episode that revolves around Josh/Santos/Vinick, are amazing.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

The only one I ended up skipping was Ninety Miles Away in S6. Because I really hate that one. But I ended up watching all of the rest. I'm into S7 (at The Wedding right now).

Edit: and now I'm on Running Mates. RIP John Spencer :(

(picking him for VP never made sense to me)

myron cope fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Aug 22, 2011

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet
If you have the money for it you can download/watch West Wing in HD from iTunes and Amazon streaming:

http://hd.engadget.com/2010/11/05/all-seven-seasons-of-the-west-wing-finally-available-in-hd-bu/

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Naturally, it is not included in the video library that Amazon Prime subscribers get for free :mad:

scr0llwheel
Sep 11, 2004
ohelo

myron_cope posted:

The only one I ended up skipping was Ninety Miles Away in S6. Because I really hate that one. But I ended up watching all of the rest. I'm into S7 (at The Wedding right now).

Edit: and now I'm on Running Mates. RIP John Spencer :(

I just finished that exact episode last night. I only skipped "Access" because it's a boring episode.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

scarymonkey posted:

If you have the money for it you can download/watch West Wing in HD from iTunes and Amazon streaming:

http://hd.engadget.com/2010/11/05/all-seven-seasons-of-the-west-wing-finally-available-in-hd-bu/

Yeah, and they're awesome. You can check out a screenshot from them I posted on page one of the thread. They are the only place I know that has season one in widescreen. It was never shown on TV or released on DVD in widescreen.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

myron_cope posted:

Leo was always portrayed as a big-time national political figure, so I bought it. Even back to the Sorkin years, Josh floated Leo for a Hoynes replacement as VP in both Stirred and Commencement, and Jed originally thought Leo was coming to New Hampshire in Bartlet For America to get support for a presidential run. I think it was a perfectly reasonable twist for the writers.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
It also makes sense as a last minute pick since all of Leo's negatives are already known.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

scarymonkey posted:

Streaming prices are so loving ridiculous, $50 for the whole season?

Who the hell is buying these things?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

t3ch3 posted:

It also makes sense as a last minute pick since all of Leo's negatives are already known.

Right, and for various reasons, Santos would have had to pick a steady hand who was close to the unions, especially teachers' unions, allied with the Bartlet wing of the party, and had good foreign policy experience. It's possible someone other than Leo would have fit - probably even Governor Baker - but I don't think we know of that person for sure, and there wouldn't have been a lot of other options.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

I can not even write how expensive ST:TNG seasons used to cost, the internet simply would not believe me. When I decided I didn't want the physical DVDs anymore and was content with rips on the computer, I sold all 7 in a lot on eBay, and I believe I cleared $400 for used DVDs.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

It's actually $35 a season on Amazon. And it's not that bad. It's much more expensive on iTunes I believe.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

jeffersonlives posted:

Right, and for various reasons, Santos would have had to pick a steady hand who was close to the unions, especially teachers' unions, allied with the Bartlet wing of the party, and had good foreign policy experience. It's possible someone other than Leo would have fit - probably even Governor Baker - but I don't think we know of that person for sure, and there wouldn't have been a lot of other options.

Baker had just been kicked out of the convention because of Senator Eagleton's his wife's history with mental illness, so even if they could have recovered from that in the race, he was toxic at the time. After I made that post though, I remembered that not all of Leo's dirty laundry had been aired. There was the matter of his relapse on the night of the first Bartlet debate that at least three Republicans knew about.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

The SARS Volta posted:

• CJ lipsyncing "The Jackal" while Toby sits there and smokes a cigar would've been at home in an episode of Twin Peaks

This has always been one of my favourite scenes, even if it's just completely insane - because you can tell it was something that happened off-set that got put in for the sheer awesomeness. She's just too good at it!

The proportion of PPE students I'm studying with who have watched the West Wing is staggering. Hell, the proportion of my student friends overall who've done so. Just a phenomenal show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7H_L5cYkg8

e: also of course the other great bits of that scene, including Toby's "never talk to me during The Jackal" and Leo being a dick to Sam about him kind-of dating Mallor.
The Toby/CJ chemistry was always a fascinating little elements to the show. Toby has to be my favourite character, though choosing a favourite out of this show is virtually impossible... not to mention pointless.

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Aug 23, 2011

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet
Speaking of CJ, this is one of my favorite classic moments:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVRSBAShXcM

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

scarymonkey posted:

Speaking of CJ, this is one of my favorite classic moments:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVRSBAShXcM

Although that misses out the best bit, which is Toby's expression when she first swaggers up singing about how sexy she is. Confused and just a wee bit turned on.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Nah, the best bit in that episode is her and Carol dissecting "I'm Too Sexy" at the beginning.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

MikeJF posted:

Although that misses out the best bit, which is Toby's expression when she first swaggers up singing about how sexy she is. Confused and just a wee bit turned on.

Josh does this too during the "WOOT CANAW" moment.

"CJ, you shouldn't say that...you got a great body."

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

My problem isn't with Leo's credentials, I guess, it's the fact that he had not too long before had a heart attack. And that Santos didn't know him, but I don't care so much about that (it's not like it doesn't actually happen in politics).

In unrelated news, Alan Alda owns so much. So, so much.

Edit: right as the credits are rolling in the episode where Vinick breaks his hand, there's a dude that walks through the Santos campaign office and says "guest list for the Cleveland event?" to Josh. It's loving Abed! Danny Pudi! He goes through really fast and the camera barely shows his face but I'm like...97% sure it's him. I don't know if he shows up after that any.

It's totally meaningless, but I like seeing actors in early roles like that :3:

Fake edit: ok it says so on IMDB. I figured he'd be uncredited. I guess actually getting to say a line makes it different?

myron cope fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Aug 23, 2011

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

myron_cope posted:

My problem isn't with Leo's credentials, I guess, it's the fact that he had not too long before had a heart attack. And that Santos didn't know him, but I don't care so much about that (it's not like it doesn't actually happen in politics).

In unrelated news, Alan Alda owns so much. So, so much.

Didn't Cheney have a heart attack before the election?

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

Didn't Cheney have a heart attack before the election?
That doesn't count--that man is mostly metal.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

MikeJF posted:

Allison Janey could have you or anyone else she set her mind to having. Her sexy is in her brain.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
gently caress that online pricing, because I ended up finally sorting out getting it I found new DVDs of the entire series for like 60USD total. They expect people to pay 50USD or even 30USD per season for HD streams?

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
Just finished watching The Supremes.

It was both amazing and depressing, because something like that could only happen in a fictional world.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Chamberk posted:

Just finished watching The Supremes.

It was both amazing and depressing, because something like that could only happen in a fictional world.

That is a great episode.

I'm doing S1 again (because of you bastards and this thread :)) and I forgot how much I enjoyed Lord John Marbury treating Leo like the butler. :D

TheShadowAvatar
Nov 25, 2004

Ain't Nothing But A Family Thing

Mackieman posted:

That is a great episode.

I'm doing S1 again (because of you bastards and this thread :)) and I forgot how much I enjoyed Lord John Marbury treating Leo like the butler. :D

"Oh god kill me now.."

I liked how Donna was trying to hook up with a titled noble, only to find out that the Earl or Lord that Marbury was describing was like six years old.

Captain Equinox
Sep 15, 2005

By day a mild-mannered college professor, by night Kiki, go-go dancer at the Pussycat Club. But twice a year, he's... CAPTAIN EQUINOX!

TheShadowAvatar posted:

I liked how Donna was trying to hook up with a titled noble, only to find out that the Earl or Lord that Marbury was describing was like six years old.

"I'm going to correspond with him... once he learns to read and write."

Donna is all kinds of awesome. :allears:

Red7
Sep 10, 2008

quote:

It's totally meaningless, but I like seeing actors in early roles like that

Joel McHale (Jeff in Community) is the loan officer during the bank heist scene in Spider-man 2. Spookie!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
Actually, "Access" was nowhere near as bad as I heard. It was good to have a CJ-centric episode and the talking head stuff wasn't too annoying.

Looking forward to the election stuff in seasons 6-7.

• Locked thread