Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Zorak posted:

I've received reports of armed attacks on shipments. There's not enough game to go around, and the customer-base are starting to get desperate.

OLD MEN, WARNING, WARNING
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBS1ToXKcrM#t=1m30s

Translation: we want Deus Ex!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

I said come in! posted:

You hit 200, yay! :)

Awesome! I'll pick a winner and keep it rolling, another deuce (200 subs), another Deus!

The winner is http://www.youtube.com/user/unbiasedperson

I'll send out a PM, but if it is a goon, let us know who you are!

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Also I saw this after playing some Home Front (gotta do something)

I entered my code from the boxed copy I had, so maybe other people will get this too.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

AxeManiac posted:

Also I saw this after playing some Home Front (gotta do something)

I entered my code from the boxed copy I had, so maybe other people will get this too.

Apparently even people who bought from GMG get that too? But that's not right... right?

Honestly, if only Valve told us of this awesome pre-order promo, I think everyone would've pre-ordered from Steam.

Zooloo
Mar 30, 2003

just wanted to make you something beautiful
He'd have to load up TF2 (which is free) to check it out. Don't look to me for answers, cause I have no goddamn clue.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

r1ngwthszzors posted:

Apparently even people who bought from GMG get that too? But that's not right... right?

Honestly, if only Valve told us of this awesome pre-order promo, I think everyone would've pre-ordered from Steam.

According to the GMG forums, you don't get the TF2 items.

suburban wine mom
May 27, 2004

As far as I can tell the GMG doesn't get the items. :10bux: for TF2 items. Your call.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

I bought it on GMG, and you don't get the Tf2 items.

ObesePriest
Nov 4, 2008

Everdraed posted:

Great work on it, this and the other comic entries are awesome.

I'm also gonna cross post, since this took a surprising amount of effort for about four seconds of footage. Watch it in HD!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OULX90wSLw8

I'm gonna pop out of the woodwork and give credit where its due. :golfclap:

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Party Plane Jones posted:

According to the GMG forums, you don't get the TF2 items.

Yeah, I entered my serial code from the boxed copy, the game wouldn't let me install it off the disc, so I decided to preload it. Today I was playing something on Steam, when I was done, I saw that.

I don't have Team Fortress 2 installed to double check it and not sure where that backpack thingy is.

Eriic
Aug 9, 2009

Twisp, is this a truth? Do you do evil?
So, I just discovered that I can change the wallpaper on my PS3.

Get hype. :dance:

edit: my dashboard is augmented. :c00l:

Eriic fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Aug 20, 2011

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Everdraed posted:

Great work on it, this and the other comic entries are awesome.

I'm also gonna cross post, since this took a surprising amount of effort for about four seconds of footage. Watch it in HD!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OULX90wSLw8

This is amazing.

Tuesday night needs to come a little bit quicker :ohdear:

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug
Montreal Mirror - COVER: The transhuman factor
Eidos Montreal’s Deus Ex: Human Revolution, featuring a technologically enhanced protagonist versus stubbornly all-natural enemies, is philosophically profound and thrilling to play
( http://www.montrealmirror.com/wp/2011/08/18/cover-the-transhuman-factor/ )

The year 2027 may seem an eternity away, but as Eidos Montreal found out in the four years it took them to complete their first game, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, even the most outlandish predictions about the not-too-distant future are already in the process of coming true.

If the hypothetical world presented in Human Revolution is to be believed, in 16 years mankind will find itself at a transhumanist crossroads: we’ll have begun to embrace cybernetic prosthetics called augmentations, spawning a generation of healthy people willing to amputate their perfectly good body parts in order to improve themselves with mechanical appendages. A disturbing prophe­cy that could never happen, right?

“We thought it was far-fetched at first,” says game director Jean-François Dugas. “But early on, when we were brain-storming—trying to define the world of 2027—we wrote a storyline about an Olympic athlete that wouldn’t be allowed to compete because he was augmented and had an unfair advantage. Then a year after we conceptualized it, the Olympic committee was debating whether to let Oscar Pisto­rious run.”

The very real Pistorious, also known as “the fastest man on no legs,” is a South African runner who competes against able-bodied athletes thanks to a pair of flexible prosthetics. Granted, Pistorious didn’t willfully lose his real legs, but Dugas can cite cases such as an Austrian man, known only as “Milo,” who did elect to have his attached-yet-non-functional hand removed in favour of an artificial one. “What shocked me the most in the last four years was, at first I was worried we were pushing it too much, but it’s already happening for medical purposes,” Dugas says. “So how far away are people from doing it in the name of science or art?”

CHOOSE YOUR OWN AUGMENTATION
Mankind’s march towards the singularity is the backdrop for PC, XBox 360 and PlayStation 3 first-person role-playing game Deus Ex: Human Revolution, a prequel to 2000’s seminal Deus Ex. In terms of storyline, Human Revolution predates the original cult classic by 25 years and downgrades the highly advanced nanotechnological augmentations to more barbaric mechanical ones. No one from Eidos Mon­treal was involved in the making of the original, although the studio sensibly retained the series’ landmark strategic first-person gameplay and cyberpunk theme. Specifically, the Eidos Montreal team calls their man-merging-with-machine motif the cyberpunk renaissance, where proponents of augmentations, including shadowy biotechnology corporation Sarif Industries, adopt an extravagant and colourful visu­al style reminiscent of Leonardo da Vinci and his trailblazing peers. Exhibiting a more militant demeanor are the movement’s detractors, many of whom belong to radical organization Purity First, a group that uses disturbing imagery to depict augmented humans as helpless addicts hooked on the drugs that prevent their bodies from rejecting their new limbs.

Human Revolution’s world features a staggering amount of detail—down to near-nanoscopic scales—where everything from the contents of a room to the ruffled sleeves on a character’s shirt hides a deep­er meaning designed to subtly immerse gamers into this chilling alternate reality. This technique of visual storytelling is designed to allow players to explore and make up their own mind on augmentation without feeling like they’re being pushed in a certain direction.

“The point of the game is not to make a statement or be moralistic,” says Dugas. “This game is about being able to explore a world, to show where humanity might be going and what it might mean, and to allow players to make their own decisions as a result.”

BLUE-COLLAR HERO
Straddling that line more perilously than anyone is protagonist Adam Jensen. If the game is about players understanding the effect of transhumanism on society, Jensen feels like the one char­acter in Human Revolution who hasn’t made up his mind either.

“He’s a true blue-collar hero,” says lead writer Mary DeMarle. “Adam represents the guy who’s trying to do the best job he can, get paid and live his life in peace.”

Jensen, a security consultant, begins the game as a regular human, but a would-be fatal accident at Sarif headquarters forces him to accept augmented body parts in order to survive. After his difficult recov­ery, Jensen is thrust back into the job, and players are free to tinker with his body as much as they want, giving him everything from super strength to new eyes, new lungs or even a more stable shooting arm. These new augmentations come in handy for his line of work, as he’s often infiltrating bases behind enemy lines where he’s severely outnumbered and unable to succeed simply by running and shooting. The game is broken down into four main gameplay pillars, so players have to consider combat, stealth, hacking and social/ dialogue techniques when trying to achieve their goals. Augmentations neatly fit into each pillar, so it’s possible to give Jensen a highly specialized skill set or upgrade him into a more well-rounded character.

“We wanted to offer Jensen as a blank slate,” says art director Jonathan-Jacques Belletête. “He’s really a vessel for all the game’s main ideas, and it’s up to players to decide how much of a gray area he represents.” One thing players won’t be able to do is create an all-purpose superman, says Dugas, as there’s only enough in-game currency (called Praxis points) to acquire 70 per cent of Jensen’s potential augmentations.

PAINTING THE TOWN FUTURISTIC
Much of Deus Ex: Human Revolution’s storyline unfolds with Jensen exploring the game’s main hubs and interacting with characters around him, so to ensure players remain cognizant of their new sur­roundings, the team strove to make their vision of the future as realistic as possible. The game’s main hubs—which include real world cities like Detroit and Shanghai—are designed to marry current archi­tecture with futuristic buildings dotting familiar landscapes.

“We don’t raze cities in real life,” says Belletête. “It’s not the massive structures that change over time, but the smaller things like light fixtures or parking meters.” In terms of new buildings, Belletête found inspiration in existing constructions, citing London-based architect Zaha Hadid as a good example of how cutting-edge designs already exist. Not ones to exclude their hometown, Montreal makes a brief appearance in the game, as Jensen visits a re-purposed Olympic Stadium that houses media conglomerate Picus Communications.

“Montreal was originally going to be a full hub,” admits Belletête, who says he has an impressive secret stash of discarded Montreal artwork. “I envisioned what the Plateau might look like, because there was going to be a house Jensen would have to infiltrate there. In our early tech demos, the first city we put together was the Plateau, based on the brick duplexes and triplexes with spiral staircases. It was honestly really stunning to see it in a 3D environment because to people who aren’t from here it looked so unique, but if you live here it was quite touching. We even modelled it.”

IN WITH A BANG
In speaking with the team, it’s remarkable to consider how much content was obsessed over and ultimately didn’t make the final package gamers will be able to finally experience on Aug. 23. It’s even harder to imagine working on something for over four years, which is what Eidos Montreal’s team (which totals over 300 people working on multiple projects) did. In that span, U.K.-based parent company Eidos underwent a massive restructuring and was eventually purchased by Japanese publisher Square Enix, known primarily as the creators of Final Fantasy. Yet as tumultuous as things appeared around the brand new studio, the project was never affected, and when it came time to delay the project in late 2010, it was a decision made by the team to make the game as complete as possible.

Eidos Montreal has a short history, but as the studio’s general manager Stephane D’Astous says, it’s a dense one. “What would be considered the most successful first game by a new studio?” he confidently asks. “I don’t know the answer, but I will say we’re creating a very high mark.”

Reflecting the attitude of the team, though, Belletête says the predominant feeling after four years of hard work is relief. “It’s really done, this game needs to get out. We gave it everything we had, and there’s really nothing we could have added to the game.”

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Eriic posted:

So, I just discovered that I can change the wallpaper on my PS3.

Get hype. :dance:

You can change the icons and the sounds too, somebody should make a Deus Ex theme.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Tecman posted:

Not ones to exclude their hometown, Montreal makes a brief appearance in the game, as Jensen visits a re-purposed Olympic Stadium that houses media conglomerate Picus Communications.

But now where will they hold the Monster Truck rallies and one Alouette game a year?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Tecman posted:

The year 2027 may seem an eternity away
Goddamn, had to stop reading here, too much bullshit hyperbole.

Augment this, fuckers

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Aug 20, 2011

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
I was so desperate to preload this I tethered my phone to get more bandwith than my lovely ISP could provide. Fully preloaded, now to find something to do until the 22nd.

Would that this fridge were a time fridge :f5:

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I'm kinda considering doing a no guns play through of HR. Melee and fridges only. Will either make the game a lot more fun and take me extra long to play or just make my frustrated so I quit. I did entirely non lethal in the leak which wasn't that hard and in some ways was easier when I worked on stealth so much. gently caress I need this game so bad.

Wsobchak
Mar 28, 2011

by elpintogrande
Alright, I just activated my Augmented Edition that I purchased from GMG on steam and it's preloading nicely, anyone happens to know where the artbook and soundtracks are at, in the meantime?

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Not released yet.

HyperHopper
Aug 12, 2011

The Diggle Commandos need you! Are you brave enough to join the Diggle Commandos?

Does anybody know what qualifies as "raising an alarm"?

In the leak it wasnt clear and that made the difference between smooth operator and the next bonus, but I never got what was actually counted as that.

Also, sadly, some people bought this just for silly reasons

HyperHopper fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Aug 20, 2011

Horns
Nov 4, 2009
I know I'm really late on this, but that is one goddamn amazing OP, Tecman.

I haven't been keeping up with the thread(s) in a long while so I'm really out of the loop. Has there been any solid information on how much more optimized the full game will be compared to the leaked demo? I already have it preordered anyway and could run the demo OK, just curious.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Pretentious Turtle posted:

Did they change the pip regen system?

Food items replenish 1 pip, batteries replenish everything, first pip will always slowly regenerate. Not much of a change.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Food items replenish 1 pip, batteries replenish everything, first pip will always slowly regenerate. Not much of a change.

:sigh:
I was hoping they would've improved it a little, but oh well.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I'll be looking for a trainer first thing for this game. The battery limit just annoyed me way too much to put up with it. Removing melee weapons and then limiting the takedowns is one of my only faults with the game from what I played of the leak. It also makes no sense at all from an in world context.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

Neo Rasa posted:

I'm going stealth and sniping people from as far away as possible, in the very first encounter I saw two braindead guards right next to each other, I tried rolling up with my assault rifle and they dropped me in like one second flat on normal. loving finally. GOTY 2011.

Please, please, please tell us about the loading times on the console? That is all I care about, the only thing I could see taking this game down a notch.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
Cross-posting from the DX:HR photoshop thread, figured some people here might get a kick out of some wallpapers. Supposed to be an updated version of the Deus Ex cover art, inspired by that awesome PC Gamer cover they had a while back.

1920x1080 (Green)

1920x1080 (Black)

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

bloodysabbath posted:

Please, please, please tell us about the loading times on the console? That is all I care about, the only thing I could see taking this game down a notch.

I've heard rumours that they are put to shame by the loading times in DNF.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Supernorn posted:

Cross-posting from the DX:HR photoshop thread, figured some people here might get a kick out of some wallpapers. Supposed to be an updated version of the Deus Ex cover art, inspired by that awesome PC Gamer cover they had a while back.

1920x1080 (Green)

1920x1080 (Black)

loving beautiful. Thanks!

Harold Ramis Drugs
Dec 6, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Number 1: That's terror

Number 2...

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

I stopped keeping track of it due to the speed of updates and because of the time of day which it mainly updated, but Phase 2 of the DX:HR Facebook thing has been full for about a day. Mostly weapon artwork which is pretty cool, a wallpaper ("Murder"), a VA vid, of course some comic/novel stuff, and another round of DX/DX:IW Steam codes.

Also, submitted a Photoshop entry in the contest thread so I'm now officially repping the crew :kamina:. If anyone else wants to give it a try, pay attention to the rules!

Hotwire
Mar 11, 2006

hehehe

Supernorn posted:

1920x1080 (Green)

1920x1080 (Black)

Yup, this has now replaced my OTHER Adam Jensen wallpaper. Thanks!

deepshock
Sep 26, 2008

Poor zombies never stood a chance.

Hotwire posted:

Yup, this has now replaced my OTHER Adam Jensen wallpaper. Thanks!

Are you talking about the Wordle one? If so, that sounds like a hell of a feat because that one was amazing. This wallpaper is also amazing, and I'm glad for the guys who made both.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Jut posted:

I've heard rumours that they are put to shame by the loading times in DNF.

It's true, the largest areas load up in the typical DNF loading time, everything else is five~ten seconds.

Scrooged
Feb 19, 2004

Truth, Juthtithe,
and the American Way
Before I buy this, I need to know. Am I buying deus ex or deus ex 2?

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

Neo Rasa posted:

It's true, the largest areas load up in the typical DNF loading time, everything else is five~ten seconds.

What about the bosses? are you pretty much screwed if you take a stealth/hacking/nonlethal approach? I notice the no kill achievement doesn't include bosses and I really don't want to corner myself into a frustrating boss fight because there isn't a stealth option.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Scrooged posted:

Before I buy this, I need to know. Am I buying deus ex or deus ex 2?
Yes.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Neo Rasa posted:

Mind explaining how long that is?
The demo of DNF takes 2 minutes to load it's areas, don't know how the final game compared.
And is that installed or not?

But honestly anything over thirty seconds is too long for a modern game, I really hope this and Skyrim won't suffer from Oblivion syndrome.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Neo Rasa posted:

What platform of DNF are you comparing it to? The 360/PS3 version felt like it took 2 minutes to load anything, but I heard on PC it could load in seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

Policenaut posted:

What platform of DNF are you comparing it to? The 360/PS3 version felt like it took 2 minutes to load anything, but I heard on PC it could load in seconds.

DNF on the 360 took anything between 30 and 40 seconds to load.

• Locked thread