Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
:3 progress continues on Skorne of Menoth up ins.

Morg and Elephant are at the early stage where they've been washed, and the areas that will be highlighted up to red are black. The beast, though, will probably just be given a purple to gray highlight. Basically I think magic poo poo that lives in a desert should have dark skin.

Blood runners and a razorworm are primed and based and will be next.

Base is same wash as the body, then a kind of watered down half assed drybrush of white to get the sand right, and some detail stuff on the tile. I'm not sure I like how it turned out, and maybe I'll bring in some yellow or something, but I'm fine with it right now. It's basically about a thousand times more effort than I've ever put into basing before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
... I uh...think I forgot to attach the image.

Edit: :(

Attach didn't work. Sigh.

it's my hosting.

Edit again: Er, I guess it finally did. Woops :/

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TheCosmicMuffet fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Aug 20, 2011

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.

PierreTheMime posted:

I stayed home sick yesterday and knocked out some more Genestealers for my oath.

(Pardon the lovely lighting, this was taken at night and my indoor lighting isn't exactly stellar)

Speaking of images and stuff, I cant see this image. Is it because I just moved to a new place? Same ISP as before but could something be wrong?

This thread is not the same without the pics. (hopefully it is just tinypic.com)

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

Dominion posted:

Painted this guy up tonight. Pretty happy with how he turned out. Or at least I was until I looked at the photo. loving cameras.

Did you do the highlights on him by mixing the green color with bleached bone? Like you told me to do.
I'll start highlighting soon, been busy with other things for the past few days.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Just sorting out my paints and throwing away old ones, when I came to 3 realizations:

1) You can never have too many greens
2) I'm heavily invested in Vallejo Model Colour
3) I have no life

I probably use about 10 colour's from that lot.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Since we're on the topic: would the Reaper HD sets (2 of them at $50 each plus shipping to the UK, probably along with some models because, well, why not?) be a decent investment in paints? I have a few left over, as I've mentioned earlier, from home, which I'm pretty much stuck with until I have significant income, but as and when I do, I'd like to grab a big set with minimal outlay. Is that a good place to start?

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Holy poo poo. That's a lot of paint. I have a grand total of ~15 or something.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009

Torabi posted:

Did you do the highlights on him by mixing the green color with bleached bone? Like you told me to do.
I'll start highlighting soon, been busy with other things for the past few days.

It looks like he might have used scorpion green? It's not about necessarily using bleached bone though, it's just about not using pure white, which tends to desaturate and dull the colour. Using different colours will produce different effects, highlighting your blue with a lighter blue like ice blue will keep it vibrant, whereas using bleached bone will make it more dull and natural.

Crossposting my latest space monkey, a daturazi(third from right):

Mr_Happy_Pants
Jan 21, 2006

richyp posted:

Just sorting out my paints and throwing away old ones, when I came to 3 realizations:

3) I have no life

I thought I had a lot of paints with over 50 :|

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Mr_Happy_Pants posted:

To be honest, most of them I've never used. I bought a boxset a couple of years ago when I found one on offer, it contained most of the military colour's seen in the picture above.

I've probably used 3-4 of the greys, a couple of the greens, reds and blues, and the metallics. I nearly always mix the colours anyway so I'll grab one grey for example and just work in a lighter grey for the highlights anyway.

The big vat of matt medium I can't live without though.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Mr_Happy_Pants posted:

I picked up the GW paint set on the cheap a couple of years ago... Then PV had to go and ruin my life wallet by having a nerdstore and I picked up nearly all of the P3 paints (everything but metallics and inks/washes), and I've since started picking up Vallejo slowly but surely; I even have four (FOUR!) Tamiya pots. :suicide:
Thankfully, I've made attempts to use all the colors I can across both sets, which is why my Vomit Marine (pics to follow later) is in autumn colors, and my current Librarian project is, of course, blue.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

I just finished my fourth guy.

I'll have to ruin him with highlights tomorrow. :smith:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I've somehow ended up with six greens.

No idea how, I haven't used any since I did some orcs maybe 15 years ago.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009
If you just make the first (or only) highlight pretty subtle it can't really get worse even if it's sort of sloppy.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Torabi posted:

I didn't, actually. He's done with a basecoat of Knarloc Green, then some awesomepaintjob.com Soft Body Black wash, then Snot Green as the main armor color. The highlights are a 50:50 mix of Snot Green and Scorpion Green, and then a final edge highlight of pure Scorpion Green. The black parts are straight black, highlighted with Shadow Grey and then Space Wolves Grey.

Paint nerd stuff: I have one of these: http://www.thewarstore.com/product44011.html and it's full to bursting, so I have to find creative ways to store new paints. I too probably use half or less of the paints I own.

Mr_Happy_Pants
Jan 21, 2006
Oath thread cross post:

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Mr_Happy_Pants posted:

Oath thread cross post:

I love the "gently caress yeah/haters gon hate" pose he's got going.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009

Mr_Happy_Pants posted:

Everything about this is really excellent, well done.

Mr_Happy_Pants
Jan 21, 2006

Dominion posted:

I love the "gently caress yeah/haters gon hate" pose he's got going.

I try to make my jacks look less static and less 'bear hug' and every time it ends up looking like this. To the point in fact that someone did this to a picture of my seether:

Akunin
Mar 12, 2002
Hello, Cthulhu!

richyp posted:

3) I have no life

I bought about 50 bottles of that stuff, mostly in greens and browns, when a local store was getting rid of their stock for less than a dollar each. I keep telling myself that I WILL NOT start an army in those colors just to use it.

I hate lying to myself.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Mr_Happy_Pants posted:

I kind of like the idea of a Seether with both hands forward and running, like it can't wait to get both down on your throat/chassis/meaty bits. I mean, they are balls of white-hot rage contained in a metallic shell; about as Deathjack as you can get to not being the Deathjack.

Speaking of the Deathjack, do those skulls on the shoulders do anything fancy like the 3.5 rules have them do?

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
They generate their own focus and give it a 360 degree front arc.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Yeeesh, that's awesome/sounds high in the points cost.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Finished these bad boys but I never got around to posting them in this thread:

The big man himself:

Some detail:

Right now I'm working on a totally badass Belial and a squad of Tac Marines.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

dexefiend posted:

Infinity Teutonic Knight HOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

(I have paint taste in my mouth, :barf:)

What do you guys think?

(previous post about this dude: blargh)

I am most proud of his left leg, and the tunic. If I keep up my painting, I think I will be able to pull of that level of quality on a whole dude!

This dude got bottom-of-the-paged so I am bumping him to here. I think the added colors and details are a big improvement from the original. He looks a lot more 'finished' and overall you have done a nice job. The base is good too, some details on there without overwhelming the whole model.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Ashcans posted:

This dude got bottom-of-the-paged so I am bumping him to here. I think the added colors and details are a big improvement from the original. He looks a lot more 'finished' and overall you have done a nice job. The base is good too, some details on there without overwhelming the whole model.

Thanks for this.

I need some help on finishing his right hip, right hand, and his sword hilt.

Any suggestions?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

dexefiend posted:

Thanks for this.

I need some help on finishing his right hip, right hand, and his sword hilt.

Any suggestions?

It's a little hard to see what is on his right hip - I think there is a spare magazine for his gun, and some sort of other dohicky? I would paint the magazine to match his gun, and maybe through some blue on the other item. That depends a little on what it is, if it's a specific game item there might be a better way to paint it.

His sword hilt is actually three separate areas; the crossguard, the grip, and that interesting triangle area between the guard and blade. I would probably paint the guard (and pommel) in the same tactical black look you have for the gun. The grip I would maybe do in leather, but bare metal or any color would work. The triangle, I'm not sure. It looks like that is a powered blade of some sort, so maybe put in a contrast color to make it look like a power supply? Otherwise, it's a neat little flat space to put some iconography if you are feeling up to freehanding.

I think that if you pick out the hilt and guard, the hand could stay as it is. Otherwise maybe just match it to the other one - there's that little green area on the left fist, so you could mirror that.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Gonna post this Belial I just painted for a friend:

SRM fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Aug 21, 2011

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

That green seems... Really bright? It might just be the bone armor though, but it looks more lime green than forest green.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Sole.Sushi posted:

That green seems... Really bright? It might just be the bone armor though, but it looks more lime green than forest green.

The green on his shield is very bright, yeah. I kind of went overboard with the green, but I stand by it. I figured it would be a good way to tie it in with the rest of the model without having it blend in with the other green too much. I went with Snot Green as opposed to Dark Angels Green, since I like how vibrant it is.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Double posting all up in here because I just painted more stuff:
Just wrapped up a tactical squad tonight!

One recruit came from a certain death world, and knows what's what:

My converted multimelta from a heavy flamer:

Shoulderpad detail:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

SRM posted:

Gonna post this Belial I just painted for a friend:
If you REALLY wanted to eliminate any trace of the original Lysander affiliation, you could do something like this with the Thunder Hammer head:

(modeled by me, painted by Hell Diver, who needs to return to painting awesome minis~)

The Dark Angels icon is two glued together since they mirror perfectly, and the resulting piece fits perfectly on a Thunder Hammer haft with the front/back parts of the hammer lopped off.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Aug 21, 2011

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Captain Invictus posted:

If you REALLY wanted to eliminate any trace of the original Lysander affiliation, you could do something like this with the Thunder Hammer head:

(modeled by me, painted by Hell Diver, who needs to return to painting awesome minis~)

The Dark Angels icon is two glued together since they mirror perfectly, and the resulting piece fits perfectly on a Thunder Hammer haft with the front/back parts of the hammer lopped off.
That was your conversion!? I actually was talking to the guy when he was building the model, and I suggested this exact idea to him, since I remember the mini. He thought the idea was awesome, but he didn't have any spare DA icons to go around.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Anyone know how the Reaper HD paints perform? I get the sense they're meant to compete with citadel foundations, but it's a much better range of colors. How does it compare in terms of coverage over black, etc?

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Here's a picture of all of my currently "finished" models. Oldest on the right, newest on the left.
The one on the left is the one I am meant to ruin with highlights.

The latest guy posing alone.

I've been putting off highlighting for days. I just mix a little bleached bone with the blue and apply it to places? No idea where though.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

SRM posted:

That was your conversion!? I actually was talking to the guy when he was building the model, and I suggested this exact idea to him, since I remember the mini. He thought the idea was awesome, but he didn't have any spare DA icons to go around.
Yep. I wanted to make it as ridiculously Dark Angels-ey as I could, so I used the DA Dreadnought shoulders and chopped the hammer bits off a Thunder Hammer and attached the double icons. Then I took one of the larger targeters or whatever those greebly bits on Terminator torso fronts are and added that to the back of it so it didn't look so sparse, and blammo.

I'd wager since there's so many bits sellers online you could find a pair(or two pair if you wanted to try a battleaxe) for next to nothing.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
This is a pretty rad page.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Torabi posted:

I've been putting off highlighting for days. I just mix a little bleached bone with the blue and apply it to places? No idea where though.

Just do it to the raised edges. You can see it really easily on the Marines I just posted. For reference:

See how all the sharp edges have the lighter blue? That's the highlighting. Use the flat end of your brush to do it, just running along the edges.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

SRM posted:

Just do it to the raised edges. You can see it really easily on the Marines I just posted. For reference:

See how all the sharp edges have the lighter blue? That's the highlighting. Use the flat end of your brush to do it, just running along the edges.

Alright. I'll try it soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

On the topic of highlighting, I'm trying to improve on it with my 5th mini. It's still very much WIP and needs a lot of work on it, but how do you get your highlights so smooth? I'm struggling to keep mine consistent.

• Locked thread