Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

dermalogic posted:

Thanks heaps for the feedback guys - I'll keep an eye on stubhub and see if I can jag a good seat for the giants game.

The other game I might be able to attend would be STL @ SF on Dec 4. So, given the two options, I think I'd prefer to pay a little more and see Eagles @ Giants, but if there are tickets to the SF game through the website, I might be able to see both.

Thanks again.

It won't be "a little more". I would not be surprised if Eagles/Giants tickets were an order of magnitude more expensive than STL/SF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009
Bit off topic but whatever: What's the UK equivalent to StubHub? Was thinking about skipping across the pond to see an EPL game sometime and was curious about ticket prices.

HKS
Jan 31, 2005

which site(s) is considered a good resource for a fantasy football newbie? It's my 2nd year and as of last year I've never watched a game of football in my life.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

HKS posted:

which site(s) is considered a good resource for a fantasy football newbie? It's my 2nd year and as of last year I've never watched a game of football in my life.

The only sites I check are this one and rotoworld.com. In particular, Rotoworld's "Player News" page. You can narrow that by position and by team, too.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Probably a better question for the Armchair Quarterback forum, but footballguys.com does some very good projections and analysis in multiple league formats. ProFootballFocus also does good things with regards to projecting TD regression.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Oh yeah I forgot the most important site i visit https://www.mygut.com just go with it

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house
Who should I follow on Twitter? Players, coaches, media, anything to keep me up to date and/or get a few chuckles out of me.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

internet inc posted:

Who should I follow on Twitter? Players, coaches, media, anything to keep me up to date and/or get a few chuckles out of me.

Ochocinco (though he's been pretty tame since going to NE), Adam Schefter, and Chris Kluwe.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

internet inc posted:

Darnell Dockett

e: Do NOT follow Deion Sanders. You'd think he'd be funny, but his Twitter is the worst.

Oodles of Wootles
Nov 8, 2008

safe

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Darnell Dockett

quote:

ddockett DARNELL DOCKETT
Yoooo I thought I just saw Casey Anthony but it wasn't her cuz this lady had on a OBAMA t-shirt and her nipples was pierced! Naaah can't be!
Yep, this is a good idea.

Sosha
Jul 31, 2002

Jeep Krew lives on!

Ozu posted:

Probably a better question for the Armchair Quarterback forum, but footballguys.com does some very good projections and analysis in multiple league formats. ProFootballFocus also does good things with regards to projecting TD regression.

The footballguys daily email digest is amazing, basically every piece of player news as well as their commentary on how it will affect fantasy leagues

It's free until (I think) preseason ends, and is like 25 bucks for a year

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I signed up to Game Pass via NFL.com, and noticed that the mobile/tablet apps aren't out yet. What's their general track record for getting these kind of things done in time? Is it going to be 5 weeks into the season and 'welp, still no iPhone app' ?

volatile bowels
Sep 7, 2009

All-Star
I'm moving into a new place on Monday, and this directv nfl sunday ticket deal is really starting to intrigue me and my friends. does anyone have it? is it worth the free $300 package to go with sattelite instead of weatherproof cable?

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

volatile bowels posted:

I'm moving into a new place on Monday, and this directv nfl sunday ticket deal is really starting to intrigue me and my friends. does anyone have it? is it worth the free $300 package to go with sattelite instead of weatherproof cable?

Literally never had a single problem with satellite in the year and a half that I had it. This is in Houston, where it rains a lot (though it hasn't rained at all lately).

My dad has had Sunday ticket for a few years now and it pretty much owns. With cable providers you can only get the Red Zone Channel, if that.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Eric Berry comes up with some gems sometimes

Stuntman1429 posted:

Dear one of my neighbors.(If ur on twitter). I can't remember my Parkin spot so I might b in yours.please don't tow me. Just park in mine.

TheSteelCurtain
Aug 4, 2011

"There's a big difference between being hurt and being injured. You get hurt, you shake it off and come back the next series or the next game. I try to hurt people."

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Darnell Dockett

e: Do NOT follow Deion Sanders. You'd think he'd be funny, but his Twitter is the worst.

Oh wow, Darnell is sure is a character.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
Hey, I was wondering, has a gridiron-team always been divided into two teams, offensive and defensive? Or did it start out as one team where everyone played both sides? If so, when did that happen? I tried reading up on it but couldn't find this out, thanks:)

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Midget Fist posted:

Hey, I was wondering, has a gridiron-team always been divided into two teams, offensive and defensive? Or did it start out as one team where everyone played both sides? If so, when did that happen? I tried reading up on it but couldn't find this out, thanks:)

Used to be that guys would play multiple positions between offense, defense and special teams. Sammy Baugh played QB, DB, and punter back in the 30s, for instance.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Midget Fist posted:

It's called playing ironman and it used to happen all the time. It still does in peewee to highschool depending on how good an athlete is but come highschool time you're really picking a specialty and spending almost all of your time there.

Wollawolla
Jan 15, 2007

Are you gonna smash my skull and breathe my blood-mist?

Bashez posted:

It's called playing ironman and it used to happen all the time. It still does in peewee to highschool depending on how good an athlete is but come highschool time you're really picking a specialty and spending almost all of your time there.

Unless you went to an awful school like mine and can hardly get 20 people suited up and eligible for game day.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Midget Fist posted:

Platooning was started in the 30s when they loosened up on the substitution rules. Fritz Crisler was one of the pioneers in the separation of offensive and defensive units.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

Midget Fist posted:

I is attached to the unlimited substitutions allowed in football. Originally there were substitution rules similar to those in soccer or rugby, but for the last 40 or so years unlimited substitution has lead to the creation of the two platoon system.

Wiki article that gives a little more background:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-platoon_system

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
Ah ok thanks! I figured it had to have started like rugby but wondered how and when/why it changed. Thanks for the wiki link too, I wouldn't have known what to look for!

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.

commy gun posted:

Used to be that guys would play multiple positions between offense, defense and special teams. Sammy Baugh played QB, DB, and punter back in the 30s, for instance.

He held the passing and punting record in the same season :cool:

My Grandad remembers this, he is old as poo poo, also, awesome.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

NattyBo posted:

He held the passing and punting record in the same season :cool:

My Grandad remembers this, he is old as poo poo, also, awesome.

Didn't he lead in interceptions that year too? Inaugural class of the Hall of Fame, brah. :hfive:

DarciisFyer
May 4, 2009
Well I can't find the rules thread anymore and this is a basic enough question that I'll ask it here.

Micheal Spurlock (the receiver at the bottom end of the screen) catches a TD pass after pushing the defender off his feet in the following video.
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d8216cc27/Micheal-Spurlock-3-yard-TD

Isn't that offensive pass interference? He pushed the defender to gain separation, literally pushing him off his feet. Or is that not considered pass interference, an idea I'm leaning towards since there was a referee not 10 feet away and he didn't call anything.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

DarciisFyer posted:

Well I can't find the rules thread anymore and this is a basic enough question that I'll ask it here.

Micheal Spurlock (the receiver at the bottom end of the screen) catches a TD pass after pushing the defender off his feet in the following video.
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d8216cc27/Micheal-Spurlock-3-yard-TD

Isn't that offensive pass interference? He pushed the defender to gain separation, literally pushing him off his feet. Or is that not considered pass interference, an idea I'm leaning towards since there was a referee not 10 feet away and he didn't call anything.

I'm no expert or anything, but I think it's because you're allowed to make contact within 5 yards (or some other small amount) of the line of scrimmage (such as DBs jamming receivers at the line) and the contact was also before the ball was thrown.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

edit: Rules questions may now be redirected to the brand-new rules thread.

Well, there's no closeup of what happened, but assuming he does actually touch the guy it's probably OPI (OPI rules apply from the snap through to when the pass is complete); the only reasoning against it I can think of is if the covering official sees the defender go to initiate contact and then falls over because he got more back than he was expecting or he was off-balance or tripped or something. Hard to say because there's no close-up.

Thing is, that call's not for the guy who's standing right there, he's got another man to cover and also he's supposed to be getting to the goal line (and is going to get dinged hard for moving off it and signalling TD from the 3 instead of backwards when the ball came towards him, which is something you Do Not Do Ever). That one's for the guy at the back corner on that side (unless they've fiddled the keys around for these 8-man crews that they're trialling, which is certainly not impossible), and initial action is always the hardest to pick up for deep wings, especially when it's on the inside shoulder, because a lot of the time a corner who's playing up tight will line up in the exact place as to screen you out from the initial contact.

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Aug 16, 2011

Coughing-up Tweed
Jun 12, 2006

Does TFF have an IRC channel?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Coughing-up Tweed posted:

Does TFF have an IRC channel?

#sports on irc.synirc.net

nnnAdam
Jul 8, 2007

Strength in Numbers

SteelAngel2000 posted:

#sports on irc.synirc.net

Just to be clear here it's a lot different than the forums. Like completely different in all ways.

BaShildy
Nov 12, 2004

Hollywood is filled with bad ideas, and so am I
So I searched here and a few other sites.

Has the NFL decided what they are going to do with the captain designation this year? They introduced it 5 seasons ago, and there is only 4 star outlines on the uniform. Are they going to give out gold stars, or just keep the 5-timers club at 4 before the new uniform roll-out next year?

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!
Stupid question so i figure it fits here best. For instances where they need to bring out chains, or a QB sneak into a giant pile where you can't see the ball well, why don't they start chipping balls? Wouldn't then they be able to tell 100% if it got the 1st down or if it actually crossed the goal line?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Crunkjuice posted:

Stupid question so i figure it fits here best. For instances where they need to bring out chains, or a QB sneak into a giant pile where you can't see the ball well, why don't they start chipping balls? Wouldn't then they be able to tell 100% if it got the 1st down or if it actually crossed the goal line?

The "chipping balls" discussion has picked up steam in the past few years, but the simple answer is that they don't actually know whether the technology is up to the task yet. They haven't tested it and there's some doubt that it's actually as magically precise as it's proponents claim it to be.

atlas of bugs
Aug 19, 2003

BOOTSTRAPPING
MILLIONAIRE
ONE-PERCENTER

Dominion posted:

The "chipping balls" discussion has picked up steam in the past few years, but the simple answer is that they don't actually know whether the technology is up to the task yet. They haven't tested it and there's some doubt that it's actually as magically precise as it's proponents claim it to be.

As opposed to the precision of dudes with chains following around an umpire who strolls up to wherever feels right and places the ball

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

atlas of bugs posted:

As opposed to the precision of dudes with chains following around an umpire who strolls up to wherever feels right and places the ball

Yeah, actually. The argument that I have heard against is that right now we're accustomed to the fact that there is human judgement and occasional error in football, and we are used to it. If you put a chipped ball in that works 90% of the time, what do you do when it's wrong? Do you accept beforehand that the ball is always right and never question it? Do you have refs second-guess it anyway? When the runner very clearly goes down on the 1 but the end zone lights up anyway, who is the final say? If the final say is a human how is that better than what we do now?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I'd also point out that unless you're going to have every spot given by a magical field that can tell when body parts other than hands and feet are hitting it and a magical ball that knows whether it's being held by somebody and whether it's inbounds or out, human judgement would still be involved in working out where the ball got to in the first place.

Bottom line; NFL and NCAA conferences are perfectly happy with the accuracy of spots given by their officials, plus there's an absolutely brilliant inherent drama involved in the ritual of bringing the chain out for a measurement. Necessity is the mother of invention, and there's absolutely no need to fill.

atlas of bugs
Aug 19, 2003

BOOTSTRAPPING
MILLIONAIRE
ONE-PERCENTER
I should clarify that I'm not actually in favor of chips-in-balls, but aware of the role the illusion of precision plays in popular sport.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
That's why I hate this new ever-touchdown-review rule. There's human error in sports, that's why we have the challenge flag. They should've let you keep a challenge if you get one correct, and left it at that. Now they just slow down the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
What's a good way to get more informed about the outlooks of college teams before the season starts? The old man at Walgreens tonight said he thinks that Arizona is going to make the Rose Bowl this year, and then asked me what I thought, and I really didn't want to say "well, the guys on the Something Awful forums think they're going to be pretty mediocre this year."

I picked up an SI preview of the Pac 12 that seems ok, but SI is notoriously not good at breaking down basketball seasons and I'm not sure if I should really put a lot of stock in them. Also I would like to know about more than the Pac 12.

• Locked thread