Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Jut posted:

DNF on the 360 took anything between 30 and 40 seconds to load.

I tolerated those waiting times. If only the game had had more than one track that played during loading:argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity

Supernorn posted:

Cross-posting from the DX:HR photoshop thread, figured some people here might get a kick out of some wallpapers. Supposed to be an updated version of the Deus Ex cover art, inspired by that awesome PC Gamer cover they had a while back.

1920x1080 (Green)

1920x1080 (Black)

The black one is now augmenting my Windows interface. Thank you very, very much!

a handsome crab
Apr 24, 2007

I told myself that I'd be going on a media blackout pretty much until the game was released, but after contributing to the contest and realising that its released in Europe on the 26th I'm eyeing up Invisible War. I know from the last time I tried to play IW it was pretty disappointing, but does anyone know if any part of IWs story/background has crept into DXHR (and maybe make it worth playing?)

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

a handsome crab posted:

I told myself that I'd be going on a media blackout pretty much until the game was released, but after contributing to the contest and realising that its released in Europe on the 26th I'm eyeing up Invisible War. I know from the last time I tried to play IW it was pretty disappointing, but does anyone know if any part of IWs story/background has crept into DXHR (and maybe make it worth playing?)
Playing IW for the story is like becoming a Nazi for the uniform

e: wait, the Nazis had good uniforms. Playing IW for the story is worse than becoming a Nazi for the uniform.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

Playing IW for the story is like becoming a Nazi for the uniform

Except the nazis actually had well made uniforms. The best bit of IWs story is the duelling coffee shops.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

a handsome crab posted:

I'm pretty sure that there are minimal story ties between Human Revolution and Invisible War.

That said, play Invisible War in any case. It's a poo poo Deus Ex, but an amusing and entertaining game.
I don't think it's bad enough to warrant the reputation it has got. But compared to the original, it's kinda lovely.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

We can rule them like gods! ...Angry gods.
I pre-ordered this game after PC Gamer gave it such a stellar review. I just hope my PC can handle it! It's a 3 gig dual core, but the all the other specs line up pretty well on "Can You Run It". I'm not looking to play on super high ultra graphics or anything.

a handsome crab
Apr 24, 2007

Fair enough, I probably should give it a proper play through, it should relive my itch for a while at least. I only vaguely remember the coffee shops, didn't you have to blow one up? Very Broken Sword-esque, although BS's conspiracy themes are far less extreme and explosive accordions are way more classy than grenades.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Valve should just be cool and unlock the game this weekend. :/

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

We can rule them like gods! ...Angry gods.

I said come in! posted:

Valve should just be cool and unlock the game this weekend. :/

That would be perfect. Why don't companies decide to unlock games on Fridays anyway? Why is Tuesday the default day? I mean, Friday makes more sense- in the job world, there are more gamers than ever before, and when a lot of us play a game, we play the poo poo out of it the day it's released. So productivity is going to take a nose dive on Wednesday because everyone has been up until 4 a.m., or they're going to call out of work all together on Tuesday in anticipation.

HicRic
Dec 4, 2006
To disagree with three-fourths of the British public is one of the first requisites of sanity.

TShields posted:

That would be perfect. Why don't companies decide to unlock games on Fridays anyway? Why is Tuesday the default day? I mean, Friday makes more sense- in the job world, there are more gamers than ever before, and when a lot of us play a game, we play the poo poo out of it the day it's released. So productivity is going to take a nose dive on Wednesday because everyone has been up until 4 a.m., or they're going to call out of work all together on Tuesday in anticipation.

Be careful what you wish for - games release on Fridays in the UK, but that means we don't get Deus Ex until the 26th. :smith:

oversteps
Sep 11, 2001

Jut posted:

DNF on the 360 took anything between 30 and 40 seconds to load.
I've seen some videos in which the load times are just as bad (360 version, probably not installed to disc), but you see them a lot less frequently. In DNF you'd see a load screen every 5-10 minutes, whereas DX:HR it seems to be every 20-30 minutes.

Haven't played it, just going off of the various videos I've been seeing.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

HicRic posted:

Be careful what you wish for - games release on Fridays in the UK, but that means we don't get Deus Ex until the 26th. :smith:

Yeah, over here it's because the weekly charts start on a Friday so it gives them the maximum time to get sales in. I remember the fun of working at GAME and repeatedly checking all the other local retailers to see if they'd broken street date on something as that was the only way we were ever allowed to.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

For a not very-spoilery comment about the leak I'm really liking Adams voice acting much more than I thought I would.

Like a lot of the time he's just grizzled-hardass-dude but particularly when taking the persuasive options he really comes across as a very smart and well informed guy.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Three Red Lights posted:

For a not very-spoilery comment about the leak I'm really liking Adams voice acting much more than I thought I would.

Like a lot of the time he's just grizzled-hardass-dude but particularly when taking the persuasive options he really comes across as a very smart and well informed guy.
The voice actor is also one of the first in a long time who remotely resembles their character.

It's ridiculous to have a scrawny nerd voice a gruff testosterone-pumped fighter, because they have to modify their voice to the point of parody, because people will be able to tell a lot of the time.

Solid Snake takes the prize as the most constipated videogame protagonist of all time.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ufarn posted:

The voice actor is also one of the first in a long time who remotely resembles their character.

It's ridiculous to have a scrawny nerd voice a gruff testosterone-pumped fighter, because they have to modify their voice to the point of parody, because people will be able to tell a lot of the time.

Solid Snake takes the prize as the most constipated videogame protagonist of all time.

The voice actor for Solid Snake is exactly who I think about when someone brings this up. His role as Snake is so terrible, but since the game isn't meant to be taken seriously at all (it's a parody of itself at times) it still fits.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

TShields posted:

I think it has something to do with shipping schedules for brick+mortar stores, but I'm not entirely sure.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

I said come in! posted:

The voice actor for Solid Snake is exactly who I think about when someone brings this up. His role as Snake is so terrible, but since the game isn't meant to be taken seriously at all (it's a parody of itself at times) it still fits.
It's a Japanese game, so all rules a gone, but for a game that, to some extent, tries to take itself seriously and be all cinematic, it's pretty drat cheesy. Like MGS3 blatantly showed Kojima's desire to do a Japanese James Bond.

I think we all can agree that for an RPG that is intended to be immersive, this kind of voice acting just doesn't fly.

buildmorefarms
Aug 13, 2004

любоваться
Doctor Rope
I faintly remember a glorious interview with either JJB or JFD responding to a fan's question regarding Adam's sunglasses, and why he wears them when the HUD/targetting augs exist within his eyes.

The answer is a very candid "...because he's a douche!"; did I imagine this or did it really happen - and if the latter, could anyone dig up a link for me?

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
The voice for Jensen is actually one of my main concerns for this particular game. I haven't played the leak though but from trailers and such, he sounds horrendously constipated, taking the whole "noir detective" thing to extreme levels.

That said, there have been many VAs in the past where I think they sound poo poo in trailers and where I ended up really liking the voice in-game so hopefully this is one of those occasions.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

To be fair, the voice acting for the main character is the same as the other two games. In the future, special agents have augmented constipation.

Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity

I said come in! posted:

I agree. It is not terrible per se - it fits the universe perfectly, and is at least 50% of what makes the character of Solid Snake so appealing.

I haven't spoiled myself one bit, so I don't even know what the voice-acting of Jensen sounds like.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

buildmorefarms posted:

I faintly remember a glorious interview with either JJB or JFD responding to a fan's question regarding Adam's sunglasses, and why he wears them when the HUD/targetting augs exist within his eyes.

The answer is a very candid "...because he's a douche!"; did I imagine this or did it really happen - and if the latter, could anyone dig up a link for me?

You are not misremembering.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

ufarn posted:

It's a Japanese game, so all rules a gone, but for a game that, to some extent, tries to take itself seriously and be all cinematic, it's pretty drat cheesy. Like MGS3 blatantly showed Kojima's desire to do a Japanese James Bond.

Well to be fair, MGS 3 was awesome because of that. :v:

VVVVV I miss that ladder. :(

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Aug 20, 2011

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Dr.Oblivious posted:

Well to be fair, MGS 3 was awesome because of that. :v:

For those that have never seen it; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CbFAZ2ztlE It's pretty obvious right away.

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009

TShields posted:

Patch day for WoW is Tuesday, so you can count on downtime that might persuade someone to buy and/or play your game.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Even if the game will be a horrible mess (been trying to avoid spoiling myself, so I've no idea what to expect), the music is loving great. Awesome job, Michael McCann. :allears:

RichieWolk
Jun 4, 2004

FUCK UNIONS

UNIONS R4 DRUNKS

FUCK YOU

Arthe Xavier posted:

I haven't spoiled myself one bit, so I don't even know what the voice-acting of Jensen sounds like.

Adam Jensen sounds just like yoda, but without the reversed speech impediment. A bold move on the dev's part, but everybody seems to think it fits him perfectly. :pseudo:

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!

Leinadi posted:

The voice for Jensen is actually one of my main concerns for this particular game. I haven't played the leak though but from trailers and such, he sounds horrendously constipated, taking the whole "noir detective" thing to extreme levels.

That said, there have been many VAs in the past where I think they sound poo poo in trailers and where I ended up really liking the voice in-game so hopefully this is one of those occasions.
AJ sounds like JC Denton and I remember one of the developers stating this is part of the reason they chose that actor.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

I said come in! posted:

For those that have never seen it; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CbFAZ2ztlE It's pretty obvious right away.

What a thrill.

Harold Ramis Drugs
Dec 6, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
God the new texture pack maxes DX 1 seem way more fresh. Instead of feeling like a game from 2001, it feels more like a game from 2005! (It's totally worth playing through DX again with the new textures if you have only played it vanilla before)

ritcheyz
Dec 25, 2008

You've gotta be crazy
Gotta have a real need
On the Can You Run It? page, it says my video card doesn't meet the recommended requirements because it's not a specific model, even though it meets the spec requirements. I'm sure it's not a problem, but I'm asking to make sure that it won't be all choppy or anything. Can't really afford to upgrade my PC right now.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ritcheyz posted:

On the Can You Run It? page, it says my video card doesn't meet the recommended requirements because it's not a specific model, even though it meets the spec requirements. I'm sure it's not a problem, but I'm asking to make sure that it won't be all choppy or anything. Can't really afford to upgrade my PC right now.

What do you have? You have to be more specific then "I have a graphics card".

ritcheyz
Dec 25, 2008

You've gotta be crazy
Gotta have a real need
Haha, yeah, I suppose that would help. I have a GeForce GTX 460, and it's recommending I get an AMD Radeon HD 5850. I don't really know much about computers or graphics cards, to be honest, so any help would be great.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ritcheyz posted:

Haha, yeah, I suppose that would help. I have a GeForce GTX 460, and it's recommending I get an AMD Radeon HD 5850. I don't really know much about computers or graphics cards, to be honest, so any help would be great.

Hah yeah you are perfectly fine. You can play at max settings on that thing. DX:HR will easily run at 60fps on any resolution for you. :hellyeah:

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!

ritcheyz posted:

The leaked beta ran silky smooth on my BFG 9800GT and my Intel 3ghz dual core in Win7.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

ritcheyz posted:

I have similar concerns but I have an ATI Radeon HD 5770. Apparently my 734 MB of video RAM is insufficient :(

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

Cacator posted:

I have similar concerns but I have an ATI Radeon HD 5770. Apparently my 734 MB of video RAM is insufficient :(

I have a 2.3ghz Core 2 Duo, 4gb of RAM and a 5750. The leak ran at 1440x900 at 60fps with everything cranked up, so.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
I'm surprised I haven't seen this mentioned, but Jensen sounds a lot like Timothy Olyphant who played Seth Bullock in Deadwood. I looked it up, and the actual actor is Elias Toufexis, so I guess I must be crazy or something, but I could've sworn it was Olyphant.

All throughout the leak, I could not help but be reminded of Seth Bullock, seething through gritted teeth.

Spoilers for the end of Deadwood's first season.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66Q3xS8ZVws

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!
Yes, yes. Adam Jensen, too, reminds me of Tymothy Olyphant's permanent douche voice.

• Locked thread