Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one experiencing the noisy tranny. The angry cats analogy is pretty accurate and the comment about the position of the tranny makes a lot of sense.

I'll be sticking to my plans of changing the oil every 5000 km and I'll see if I can get that shell oil rather than the Mobil. Hopefully the filter is in a nice workable location on this thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Quick question because this is driving me crazy.

My 2004 Subaru Forester is at about 115K, so I figure it's time for a timing belt. I start by looking online and I get a general list of things you should do with a timing belt, and it's like this:

Timing belt kit (all kit parts, tensioner etc.)
Cam seals
Crank seal
Water pump
Thermostat
Drive belts

I start by calling my dealer and they only do everything but the belt on a "As needed" basis, as in not leaking or obviously work/broken.

I go to a local place that swears you absolutely need to change the water pump and tensioner, but the rest is not needed unless it's leaking, etc.

I then call a second dealer for a second opinion and they state you change the seals, but everything else is as needed, but some people specifically request the water pump, and if you do that, you should do the thermostat as well.

I'm now completely at a loss. What's the general consensus?

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

BoostCreep posted:

My plan with the Forester/WRX would be to slowly upgrade it with parts scoured from people pawning their stock STi parts until I had something that resembled the performance of an STi. To me it's almost more fun that way, but if I can find an STi for a similar price point, I would go with that instead unless it's a super bad idea.

Legacy GTs can also be had for that price range with much lower mileage and a better chance of not being abused if you buy one from someone over 30.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Legacy GTs are also nearly 100 less a month for me to be insured on. If I had to do it over I would buy a Legacy GT.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
In case anyone is interested in going stage 2, here's what it's going to cost me (with stock exhaust and intake). This doesn't include labor if you can't do it yourself. Subtract the intercooler if you have an STi. Didn't include cost of Accessport/Tactrix:

- 3" catted downpipe: $300
- forge bpv: $150
- intercooler: $600
- boost & wideband o2 gauges, smy clustermaker: $400
- gaskets, t-clamps, downpipe adapter: $75
- grimmspeed ebcs: $100
- custom road tune: $250

total: $1875

blargle fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Aug 20, 2011

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

dphi posted:

Legacy GTs can also be had for that price range with much lower mileage and a better chance of not being abused if you buy one from someone over 30.
heh
(27, on my 2nd transmission and motor)

Crossed 100k mi yesterday

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

LorneReams posted:

Timing belt kit (all kit parts, tensioner etc.)
Cam seals
Crank seal
Water pump
Thermostat
Drive belts

I start by calling my dealer and they only do everything but the belt on a "As needed" basis, as in not leaking or obviously work/broken.

absolutely change:
timing belt
tensioner
all idlers
water pump
thermostat

get the belt and stuff online in the form of a gates kit- TCKWP304. Saves you a couple hundred over the dealer.

if needed:
new rad hoses and clamps
cam/crank seals

The water pump and idlers will not last to the next timing belt service. On my old 93 legacy I had a water pump seize, taking out the timing belt at 130-140k, and then at ~180 I had one of the idlers go out, also destroying the belt. hooray for a non-interference motor.

jamal fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Aug 20, 2011

Tongsy
Aug 22, 2007
Newbie question, but what oil should I put into my JDM V7 STI which I just purchased and is coming up due for an oil change? I'm finding a ton of different information (10w30, 5w40, etc), but nobody seems to agree. I will be driving the car in the winter as well as summer. I am in Eastern Ontario, Canada and the temperature can get down to -30 or -40. Is there a specific brand which is best as well?

Also, does anyone know the part number for the oil filter and the drain plug seal? I'm sure I can use one from a USDM vehicle but don't know what is comparable.

Edit:
according to this website, all 4 cylinder Subarus use the same oil filter? Can someone verify this? http://www.licmotorsports.com/products/subaru-oem-oil-filter-and-washer-02-wrxsti_15208aa12a-11126aa000

Tongsy fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Aug 21, 2011

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

5w40, pretty much all subarus use the same filter and crush washer.

Tongsy
Aug 22, 2007
Any specific oil brands to avoid? Or is there a specific one I should use?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

pretty much any synthetic is fine. i've been using motul for awhile now because it was convenient.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

jamal posted:

get the belt and stuff online in the form of a gates kit- TCKWP304. Saves you a couple hundred over the dealer.

How does that work...do I just buy it and walk in and say "install this"?

I don't think that will fly :( This service is going to rape me.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

well, start by not going to the dealer for service. there are plenty of good independent subaru shops around. A good one should be able to get you a good deal on the gates kit combined with installation. I would generally charge less for parts when they were being installed too.

And jeez LIC- $8.50 for a filter? list is 6.59 and subarugenuineparts has them for $4.50. I just get my filters from the parts store. purolator, denso, wix, all make good ones. People love to bash fram (myself included) and what's funny is that they make the new Subaru OEM ones. Or did. I guess honeywell sold fram to someone else so I expect there will be another subaru filter change coming up.

jamal fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Aug 21, 2011

(((k)))
Jun 30, 2003

Does anybody have a line on some 2005-2007 STI BBS wheels? I'm in the Dallas TX area. My only criteria is lack of "curb rash" or very little. I may go to LA in ~2 months also so I could pick them up around that area.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
Ran 8.85@77mph in the 1/8th which I believe is high 13s in the 1/4. This was on the stock turbo reaching a peak boost of 16 psi even though it was set to 18 as target. I had upped my WGDC to 80% but probably going to up it more as it did peak (again).

This is in an 02 WRX with open aftermarket downpipe and tactrix and not much else engine wise.

I am strongly considering going to a 3 port EBCS as I think the factory 2 port is allowing the wastegate to open too early where the 3 port could keep it from seeing any boost until it is time.

Agreed?

Lord Gaga fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Aug 22, 2011

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
You should check to see if your wastegate preload needs to be adjusted (adjustable on TD04), then start over with your WGDC. I couldnt get past 14psi until I fixed that.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer
Oh god, should I fly across the country and drive 3,000 miles back for this? drat this obsession. They are just so rare and hard to find. Locating a manual one with decent mileage on the west coast is proving insanely difficult. If it were white I would probably already have my plane ticket in hand, but I can probably deal with the grey. I just don't know how long it will be before another pops up for sale in this condition. This is the only manual turbo Forester Sports for sale in the country for under $25k and 60k miles that I've found in the last 2 months. Which is crazy considering they were only $27k new.

2008 Forester Sports 2.5 XT
Manual
STi appearance package (wheels, front lip)
45,200 miles
$21,988
Oh and it's Certified Pre-Owned if that matters.

:ohdear:

BoostCreep fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Aug 22, 2011

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Yes, buy it right now.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Yes, you should. I did the same thing (with an LGT), it was great.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

quote:

2008 Forester Sports 2.5 XT
Manual
STi appearance package (wheels, front lip)
45,200 miles
$21,988
Oh and it's Certified Pre-Owned if that matters.

:ohdear:

That's got to be the most awesome family-friendly car anyone can get!

Isaac Asimov
Oct 22, 2004

Phrost bought me this custom title even though he doesn't know me, to get rid of the old one (lol gay) out of respect for my namesake. Thanks, Phr
Do any fellow Saabaru owners get a lot of 'hate'?

People ride my bumper constantly, I've been flipped off while sitting at a red light, ridiculous sized door dings from parking lots, and now today the greasy impression of someone's hand flipping off my car(on my back right wagon-window). I haven't had any issues with leaving my windows cracked, but I really expect someone to pour their soda all over my seats or something these days.

I drive 'spiritedly' I guess, but I don't cut people off or anything. I'm pretty paranoid at this point. Outside of driving the car, I don't know how I would have any enemies as I barely talk to anyone besides my girlfriend and then I'm courteous when I do. :tinfoil:

Every now and then I'll get a peace-sign from a passing WRX/STI driver, so not everyone is crazy.

Isaac Asimov fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Aug 23, 2011

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
Saabarus are very bland looking cars, I can't imagine it's anything to do with the vehicle itself.

Is it red?

Isaac Asimov
Oct 22, 2004

Phrost bought me this custom title even though he doesn't know me, to get rid of the old one (lol gay) out of respect for my namesake. Thanks, Phr
Its black, totally stock... :/

I am in a college town with a bunch of loser kids, so maybe they think I'm a mean "rich" guy or something.

Also, I noticed that a significantly higher amount of people started riding my bumper after I put a "POW MIA - YOU ARE NOT FORGOTTEN" plate protector on the back. My friend reported the same situation with his car too. Kind of strange.

Basically I'm just sick of anyone paying any attention to me on the road. I am not competing with other people, I'm just trying to drive or park with the least amount of human interaction as possible.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Isaac Asimov posted:

I am in a college town with a bunch of loser kids, so maybe they think I'm a mean "rich" guy or something.

Also, I noticed that a significantly higher amount of people started riding my bumper after I put a "POW MIA - YOU ARE NOT FORGOTTEN" plate protector on the back. My friend reported the same situation with his car too. Kind of strange.

Well, Saabs, and Subarus are generally owned (on the east coast of the US) by nearly-militantly lefties from my experience.

Showing that you support our (former) troops, and being in a college town - you've made yourself a target.

You don't get any more grief from 'TRUE SAABers' than I do for my GM year cars - you may get a snide remark, but nobody would do anything to your car.

Get one of those flame throwers out of South Africa. Nothing smells better than a burned up faux-beatnik.

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010
An idiot gives opinionated "insight!"

Viggen posted:

Well, Saabs, and Subarus are generally owned (on the east coast of the US) by nearly-militantly lefties from my experience.

To a dangerous driver I hope doesn't live in my town!

Isaac Asimov posted:

I'm just trying to drive or park with the least amount of human interaction as possible.

It gets better!

Viggen posted:

Showing that you support our (former) troops, and being in a college town - you've made yourself a target.

Voted 5.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

The Prius I gave my daughter died today, 200k miles which means she got my car. I am debating between a forester, there would be two in our garage, or an impreza? Will I hate myself if I buy a certified 08 for around $16,000. I am 2 hours from the closest dealer in Dallas if that matters..

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION
How did it die?

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

Voted 5.

Who the gently caress are you, and why haven't you been banned yet? I don't know you, but gently caress your lesiban girlfriend/sister.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Jared592 posted:

How did it die?

Inveter is toast and I don't feel like dumping more money into the car. I am also hosed for time as I am headed to Italy for vacation in two weeks.

I may have a lead on a temporary car which would allow me more time to shop and save for a WRX wagon. I would prefer to wait six more months until my next bonus at work comes through.

(((k)))
Jun 30, 2003

Ropes4u posted:

The Prius I gave my daughter died today, 200k miles which means she got my car. I am debating between a forester, there would be two in our garage, or an impreza? Will I hate myself if I buy a certified 08 for around $16,000. I am 2 hours from the closest dealer in Dallas if that matters..

If your thinking 08 WRX I'd say yes you would regret it. The 09 has many meaningful differences (power among others) making it a much better choice. In general you would get a better deal private party. I have an 09 WRX wagon that I'm preparing to sell. If you are interested PM me for some more info etc. I'm going to order an STI when it's in the system so it will be a few months before it will be delivered.

I would be remiss If I didn't warn you about dealers and most shops in DFW. As far as repair and warranty work is concerned it is only advisable for full-on masochists. Every single one full of incompetent cruel assholes. With the exception of two independents that I would like to spotlight; AWD Tuning and PTP (Pro Tuning Performance). These guys know what they're doing and do good work for anyone in the area with AWD or sports cars in general.

Lazor
Sep 9, 2004
So after sitting at the dealer with the engine out collecting dust for about 2 weeks, Subaru has finally decided that my STI is worthy of a new engine under warranty. Here's hoping engine #3 holds up better than #1 (20k miles spun rod bearing) or #2 (10k miles blown piston) did.

That said, are there any tips for prolonging Subaru engine life or protecting the engine in general? I keep the oil full to the upper limit on the dipstick, have an AP stage 1 reflash, and put a few gallons of 100 octane in if I know I'm going to be driving hard (autocross). I think I'm going to run synthetic in the new engine since the new ones require it from the factory so I figured it would be a good idea.

I really love the car and can't think of anything else I'd rather own, it's really a jack of all trades that can do everything I want in one car. If I got rid of it I think I'd have to get two vehicles to fill the void and my wife isn't cool with me having multiple vehicles so I guess it makes us both happy.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

wow, you had some 100 and a reflash and still cracked a piston? lovely. I guess put on a downpipe and have it tuned and then still put 100 in.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Anyone got experience with a 87 - 88 Liberty (Legacy)? How hard is it to slip WRX suspension under one?

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Lazor posted:

I think I'm going to run synthetic in the new engine since the new ones require it from the factory so I figured it would be a good idea.

What were you running before? Conventional oil in a turbocharged engine seems insane to me, it's not like the cost difference is that great.

Carleton
Sep 9, 2004
Living in the Midwest kinda sucks.

Ropes4u posted:

I assume this means you live ~ longview, just know that Subaru will not really work with you at all on the warranty if you can't bring the car to the dealer, so if anything bad happens, like your AC goes out and you can still drive the car, you will have to find a way to get it to terrell yourself. I have a subaru in Shreveport, and it always makes me nervous!

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010
As some might know, I recently got a new STi hatch (pics on 210 or so). It will have about 1500 miles by this Saturday morning. I have babied it for the most part with a couple 15 minute or so spirited drives. Does anyone think that 1500 miles is too soon for a morning of autocross? I'm on the fence. Thanks.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
It's fine.

Lazor
Sep 9, 2004

jamal posted:

wow, you had some 100 and a reflash and still cracked a piston? lovely. I guess put on a downpipe and have it tuned and then still put 100 in.

Well of course the one time I was running late and skipped putting the 100 in it was when it cracked the piston, and I had been running the Perrin stage 1 tune in the past and that time was running the Cobb 91ACN Stage 1 map.

sanchez posted:

What were you running before? Conventional oil in a turbocharged engine seems insane to me, it's not like the cost difference is that great.

Since it is under warranty I just had most of the oil changes done at the dealer and they put the stock 5W-30 in. I actually asked the service adviser about using synthetic when I noticed a poster in the office advertising new Subaru synthetic oil and he said I didn't need to and it was only required on the new engines. He actually suggested that I should use regular oil because it's cheaper. When I asked him what they changed requiring the new models to use synthetic he said he didn't know but 2011 and up require it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

What were your oil change intervals?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isaac Asimov
Oct 22, 2004

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

An idiot gives opinionated "insight!"

To a dangerous driver I hope doesn't live in my town!

It gets better!

Voted 5.
Ok thanks man