Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!

swmmrmanshen posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Gt8vaF_0bE&feature=related

Sorry if this has been shared before, but this is some absolutely stunning randori between Kosei Inoue and who I believe is Shintaro Higashi, the best American -100kg judoka. By stunning, I mean Inoue clowns on this guy for 5 minutes.

that was awesome to watch, thanks for that.
I really like the black belt in the background with his gi wide open and belly oozing over his pants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

fawker posted:

that was awesome to watch, thanks for that.
I really like the black belt in the background with his gi wide open and belly oozing over his pants.

drat you!! Now I can't unsee it.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
every gym has a tremendously fat yet somehow effective black belt. It's like mandatory.

imtheism
May 7, 2004
z leprechaun king

-Blackadder- posted:

What schools would you guys recommend in the Tacoma, Washington area?

I have some specific things I'm looking for, of course, but I'd be open to any suggestions.

I have some guys at my gym that used to go to T-Town, MMA - they're not very good there. If you want bjj, your best bet is to drive 30 mins north or south. North: Come train at my gym in tukwila, we do lots of boxing/kickboxing too! https://www.ringdemon.com. South, head to Olympia and go to Bjj Olympia, run by Robert Owens.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Does anyone actually know how big Inoue is/was? I know he fought -100, but but fought in the Open as well, and generally looks like a huge guy, significantly bigger than the hes fighting in that video.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Going to instruct a hand technique class (basically your regular boxing with a flavour of Savate type distancing and movement on side) on a really short notice in a few hours, if someone is reading this throw some out of the box ideas if you have any :D We're going to do all the usual stuff but I'd like to spice it up with something a bit different for today... bwahahaha.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Is dirty boxing allowed? One guy at my gym is really good at trapping the glove if a punch gets through to his face. He catches the punch with his gloves, throws it down, and then returns fire. Even if your jab doesn't land, it really fucks with your timing to have your glove grabbed like that.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

kimbo305 posted:

Is dirty boxing allowed? One guy at my gym is really good at trapping the glove if a punch gets through to his face. He catches the punch with his gloves, throws it down, and then returns fire. Even if your jab doesn't land, it really fucks with your timing to have your glove grabbed like that.

Nice one! I like doing (err trying) that as well, though I'm not very good at it. Hehehe, it's not really "allowed" I guess but these guys are not training for competition anyway, and in fact I've slapped down the forehand glove and followed with a cross dozens of times and the instructors have never told me not to do it.

It's also a pretty common technique in Defensé classes, you use your forepaw to slap down your opponents jab when you see it preparing or coming in, and go for a cross to the face over the now downed hand.

Fun as hell and makes people go "what is happen?!" most of the time.

Dirp
May 16, 2007

Ligur posted:

Nice one! I like doing (err trying) that as well, though I'm not very good at it. Hehehe, it's not really "allowed" I guess but these guys are not training for competition anyway, and in fact I've slapped down the forehand glove and followed with a cross dozens of times and the instructors have never told me not to do it.

It's also a pretty common technique in Defensé classes, you use your forepaw to slap down your opponents jab when you see it preparing or coming in, and go for a cross to the face over the now downed hand.

Fun as hell and makes people go "what is happen?!" most of the time.

There's an instructor at my gym that does this exact same thing to me all the time. I asked for advice on how to counter it and came to the conclusion that I just suck and need to get better.

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

Hit up new MMA gym. Construction isn't finished yet, there were bare concrete walls, sledgehammers, giant loving tires and sledgehammers and poo poo all over the place. Training felt hardcore as gently caress. Will probably wait a month or two before signing up there though, I kind of miss having a shower D: So, BJJ place it is, woop.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Xguard86 posted:

every gym has a tremendously fat yet somehow effective black belt. It's like mandatory.

It is hard to get good grips on the arms of really fat guys. Very irritating.

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

Xguard86 posted:

And the ponytail guy and the stinky guy.

Sometimes, all three guys are the same guy.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Omglosser posted:

And the ponytail guy and the stinky guy.

Sometimes, all three guys are the same guy.

Oh noooo, I'm the ponytail guy :(, but at least I'm the good smelling guy too and not fat

Pooned
Dec 28, 2005

Eye contact counters everything

Neurosis posted:

It is hard to get good grips on the arms of really fat guys. Very irritating.

Just do this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiX1CJE3STY&feature=related

Is that so difficult?

Yes, yes it is

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Whats the move that fat guy tried at 45 seconds in? I've recently started doing that during randori just to try and get a few easy ippons and its worked almost every time.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

Nierbo posted:

Whats the move that fat guy tried at 45 seconds in? I've recently started doing that during randori just to try and get a few easy ippons and its worked almost every time.

That's sasae-tsurikomi-ashi.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

canoshiz posted:

That's sasae-tsurikomi-ashi.

Oh geez, that was in my yellow belt test. I should have known that.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Nierbo posted:

Oh geez, that was in my yellow belt test. I should have known that.

depending on how high your foot is on their leg it can also be Hiza Guruma (if your foot is on their knee)

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Pooned posted:

Just do this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiX1CJE3STY&feature=related

Is that so difficult?

Yes, yes it is

ouch! That counter throw at the end looked like a lot of knee strain. Hope that guy was OK and just a sprained or bruised knee and not something popped.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

KingColliwog posted:

depending on how high your foot is on their leg it can also be Hiza Guruma (if your foot is on their knee)

Theres one guy at my gym that does a beautiful hiza guruma. Times it perfectly every time. I put my foot on their foot though, seems to work for me. it doesn't seem as timing-dependant as hiza guruma. I look at their face so they think I'm not even paying attention to their legs and then SNAP, super fast bicep curl with my right hand as I step to the side and hold their foot down with mine and down they go.

Its very telling how I was itching to learn all the complex moves and dive into uchi mata and harai goshi and now I'm learning my lesson by having more success with using a basic technique with good form instead of a advanced technique with sloppy form. even though everyone told me that I guess I learn the hard way. Its a real DUH moment to go back to the first throw and be like 'oh it really does work!' after doing judo for almost a year.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Nierbo posted:

Theres one guy at my gym that does a beautiful hiza guruma. Times it perfectly every time. I put my foot on their foot though, seems to work for me. it doesn't seem as timing-dependant as hiza guruma. I look at their face so they think I'm not even paying attention to their legs and then SNAP, super fast bicep curl with my right hand as I step to the side and hold their foot down with mine and down they go.

Its very telling how I was itching to learn all the complex moves and dive into uchi mata and harai goshi and now I'm learning my lesson by having more success with using a basic technique with good form instead of a advanced technique with sloppy form. even though everyone told me that I guess I learn the hard way. Its a real DUH moment to go back to the first throw and be like 'oh it really does work!' after doing judo for almost a year.

you actually step on their foot? Sasae is at the ankle usually, not on their foot. But I guess it probably work. I'd just be afraid I'd injure someone

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

KingColliwog posted:

you actually step on their foot? Sasae is at the ankle usually, not on their foot. But I guess it probably work. I'd just be afraid I'd injure someone

I'd never step on someones foot with all my weight cos thats a dick move but enough so that they go flying.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Got my first kimura and omoplata today in ne waza. I have no idea what the judo names for them are but it felt really good. I know the omoplata isn't legal in the judo rules but I put it on really gently and I told him what I was doing once it was locked up before I cranked it. Goddamn that kimura was hard to get though.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Nierbo posted:

I'd never step on someones foot with all my weight cos thats a dick move but enough so that they go flying.

I'd still be careful, I might be picturing this wrong, but it looks like it could lead to a torn ankle quite easily if you don't remove your foot fast enough.

Nierbo posted:

Got my first kimura and omoplata today in ne waza. I have no idea what the judo names for them are but it felt really good. I know the omoplata isn't legal in the judo rules but I put it on really gently and I told him what I was doing once it was locked up before I cranked it. Goddamn that kimura was hard to get though.

Good job, I love doing illegal locks in judo (but like you I tell people before doing them) every now and then. Beware that the Kimura can be illegal too I think. I'm not an expert on judo rules so I might get corrected, but you really need to target the elbow with the kimura (aka : not like they do it in the UFC) for it to be legal

Office Sheep
Jan 20, 2007

Nierbo posted:

I'm almost positive that it is legal and is called sankaku garami in judo. We do it in practice. I'm almost positive it is also in Best Judo.

Comrade_Robot
Mar 18, 2009
The omo plata is totally legal in Judo. So is the Kimura; why do you think it's called the Kimura?

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
If they are done to target the shoulder I don't see how they can be legal? With the kimura it's easy to target the elbow and I've heard many times that kimura's that target the shoulder also tend to be tolerated, but I don't see how an omoplata could even possibly target the elbow which is the only joint you can target with a lock?

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

KingColliwog posted:

I'd still be careful, I might be picturing this wrong, but it looks like it could lead to a torn ankle quite easily if you don't remove your foot fast enough.
Yeah you're right. I did it properly tonight at training, blocking the ankle not the foot. Felt smooth and was just as successful.

KingColliwog posted:

Good job, I love doing illegal locks in judo (but like you I tell people before doing them) every now and then. Beware that the Kimura can be illegal too I think. I'm not an expert on judo rules so I might get corrected, but you really need to target the elbow with the kimura (aka : not like they do it in the UFC) for it to be legal
Thanks. According to my coach, under IJF rules no submission technique can be applied to the shoulder but for my grading we did a kimura from kesa gatame which was apparently fine. so its weird. Where's Thoguh when you need him.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Nierbo posted:

Yeah you're right. I did it properly tonight at training, blocking the ankle not the foot. Felt smooth and was just as successful.
Thanks. According to my coach, under IJF rules no submission technique can be applied to the shoulder but for my grading we did a kimura from kesa gatame which was apparently fine. so its weird. Where's Thoguh when you need him.

You're probably better off to get your muscle memory to bring your foot to the ankle in the long term anyway so it's good that you managed to make it work the "regular" way.

--

I think the "only attack the elbow" rule is not super clear cut. Some competitions will allow kimuras that target the shoulder, while other won't. For the Omoplata there seem to be a lot of discussions on the internet debating it's legality so I really don't know anymore. The IJF should simply publish a clear PDF of all the legal techniques and be done with it...

Office Sheep
Jan 20, 2007

KingColliwog posted:

If they are done to target the shoulder I don't see how they can be legal? With the kimura it's easy to target the elbow and I've heard many times that kimura's that target the shoulder also tend to be tolerated, but I don't see how an omoplata could even possibly target the elbow which is the only joint you can target with a lock?

It's because in tournement if you tap they won't ask where you felt the lock. Communication does need to improve though.

Crim
Oct 13, 2006
Yep
I was hoping some of you guys and gals would be able to help me out. I've decided to get back into doing martial arts again because it's just too much fun, and I'm looking for some advice. I'm a second degree black belt from Tiger Schulmans Karate, or I guess MMA as its now called, and want do something that is similiar to the striking game we used to have. I don't think Tiger Schulmans is all that great but I certainly learned a lot and can hold my own because of it. From what I've seen online, I think their striking is based off of Muy Thai, and I was hoping someone would have info on a good Muy Thai school near Philly PA, or possibly somewhere in Bethlehem PA.

In fact any suggetions for a good striking school would be awesome. I really rather not do grappling as I've had bad experiences with it back at TSK. People would eye gouge while I was recovering from an eye surgery, not let go when I tap, and many other exceptionally lame things that I wouldn't expect from other students during training.

Oh when going to check out a school what should I look out for to make sure it's worth my time? I have basic ideas but I've only studied at one school for my life.

Finally I may have found a place in Philly that does Muy Thai but haven't had the chance to check it out.

http://www.phillywarrior.com/Muay_Thai.html

Any thoughts?

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

Crim posted:

I was hoping some of you guys and gals would be able to help me out. I've decided to get back into doing martial arts again because it's just too much fun, and I'm looking for some advice. I'm a second degree black belt from Tiger Schulmans Karate, or I guess MMA as its now called, and want do something that is similiar to the striking game we used to have. I don't think Tiger Schulmans is all that great but I certainly learned a lot and can hold my own because of it. From what I've seen online, I think their striking is based off of Muy Thai, and I was hoping someone would have info on a good Muy Thai school near Philly PA, or possibly somewhere in Bethlehem PA.

In fact any suggetions for a good striking school would be awesome. I really rather not do grappling as I've had bad experiences with it back at TSK. People would eye gouge while I was recovering from an eye surgery, not let go when I tap, and many other exceptionally lame things that I wouldn't expect from other students during training.

Oh when going to check out a school what should I look out for to make sure it's worth my time? I have basic ideas but I've only studied at one school for my life.

Finally I may have found a place in Philly that does Muy Thai but haven't had the chance to check it out.

http://www.phillywarrior.com/Muay_Thai.html

Any thoughts?

I don't know anything about Philly Muay Thai schools, or TSk, but there's a pretty good chance that if a school allows you to eye gouge students(especially ones with eye injuries) it's probably a lovely school. 99% of bjj/mma schools don't allow eye gouging, biting or anything nasty like that, so if your generally interested in grappling don't let a fear of that stuff stop you.

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'm officially on the posted fightcard for September. I don't have a picture up, but it's pretty fuckin sweet seeing your name on the list.

...at the very bottom, still made me feel awesome

Crim
Oct 13, 2006
Yep

dokomoy posted:

I don't know anything about Philly Muay Thai schools, or TSk, but there's a pretty good chance that if a school allows you to eye gouge students(especially ones with eye injuries) it's probably a lovely school. 99% of bjj/mma schools don't allow eye gouging, biting or anything nasty like that, so if your generally interested in grappling don't let a fear of that stuff stop you.

To be fair, the school didn't exactly allow it. One instructor for 40 students tends to not be sufficient. And in the case of that particular eye gouge my reaction was to slam the guy and storm out of class. I have no idea what happened to the guy. As for grappling, I never had more than a passing interest in it.

TheStampede
Feb 20, 2008

"I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that."

Fontoyn posted:

I'm officially on the posted fightcard for September. I don't have a picture up, but it's pretty fuckin sweet seeing your name on the list.

It's really surreal, isn't it? I just got on my first poster for my fight this Saturday, and then got promoted to main event. I NEVER saw that coming when I started doing this. It really makes you proud of all the hard work. Good job getting on man, and I'd say good luck, but we train too hard to need that. :hfive:

F' it, here it is. Sorry for the size, I helped out with the printing.

I'm the top right. My brother is top left, by the way.

E:spell'n and god I love the bottom middle guy's pic. I feel like I need to draw bigger eyebrows and a power-up aura around him...

TheStampede fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Aug 23, 2011

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

I don't have a pic uploaded yet so the card isn't public. No stupid nicknames at the moment.

spencer the assassin

edit: What's the best option for displaying imgur pictures to the forum?

Fontoyn fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Aug 23, 2011

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

If I ever compete I want my nickname to be "Huge human being" or something.
e: I'm not trying to make fun of you or anything I just think the irony of having a name like that in MMA would be hilarious.

Omglosser fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Aug 23, 2011

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I want to train at the Pita Pit. :(

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.
Did randori with a dude who was in his 3rd class and had a huge chip on his shoulder ("Oh I'm a bouncer - and this is how I do this move all the time!" [does sloppy technique]). Dude also happened to be twice my size.

I threw him O-goshi a couple times (both left and right), tai-otoshi, then an uchi mata. When he got smart about forward throws I began faking a forward throw setup then doing ouchi gari, and kouchi gari then vice versa (thanks kingcolliwog - I've been working on that since my yellow belt testing :)). After that, I got bored and just practiced my grip fighting while making him work for his throws (sloppy osoto garis and koshi guramas). As a yellow belt who continually gets my rear end beat, I felt pretty awesome knocking his ego down a couple pegs. :)

Dude then proceeds to challenge the instructor (brown belt) in newaza. A blue belt stepped in instead and proceeds to manhandle him. As the dude gets up after getting tapped, the blue belt (nice guy but borderline ADD) shouts "YOU SURE YOU ARE DONE??? I CAN KEEP GOING UNTIL YOU CRY!!!" We had a nice laugh at that.

Being one of the cheapest judo places in the area, I think we have a knack for getting a lot of rift raft come through.

Fontoyn posted:

TheStampede posted:

It's really surreal, isn't it? I just got on my first poster for my fight this Saturday, and then got promoted to main event. I NEVER saw that coming when I started doing this. It really makes you proud of all the hard work. Good job getting on man, and I'd say good luck, but we train too hard to need that. :hfive:

F' it, here it is. Sorry for the size, I helped out with the printing.

I'm the top right. My brother is top left, by the way.

E:spell'n and god I love the bottom middle guy's pic. I feel like I need to draw bigger eyebrows and a power-up aura around him...

That's awesome, good luck guys. Will the fight videos be available afterwards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Wait, you threw a guy twice your size with o-goshi?

• Locked thread