Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

FitFortDanga posted:

oh poo poo y'all

Blue loving Velvet, November 8th

**Over 50 Minutes of Never-Before-Seen Lost Footage
**Mysteries of Love Documentary
**Original Siskel & Ebert Review
**Vignettes
**Trailer/TV Spots
**A Few Outtakes

This is such great news. I cannot wait for that 50 minutes of lost footage. One of my all-time favorite films.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I need a blu-ray player suggestion.

Under $200
Wifi for updates
No 3D necessary
Apps/Youtube/etc isn't necessary
Small footprint or at least not bigger than a PS3

I basically want something to :siren: watch blu-rays on.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
The Panasonic BDT210 has Wifi, should be about $150, and can be made region free with a hacked firmware should you ever want to import some Region Bs.

It also has 3D and Netflix and poo poo you'll never use, but a lot of the Wifi-integrated models will.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Kilometers Davis posted:

Under $200
Wifi for updates
No 3D necessary

It doesn't have a small footprint but you can get a refurb Insignia player for cheap ($65-75). They come with wifi and aren't bad players at all (they also do Netflix)

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Aug 19, 2011

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

frumpsnake posted:

The Panasonic BDT210 has Wifi, should be about $150, and can be made region free with a hacked firmware should you ever want to import some Region Bs.

Brilliant! I've been looking for a region-free solution, since even though I bought the region-free Sherwood player before the killed that capability with firmware, it's kind of a crappy player. :smith:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Spraynard Kruger posted:

Criterion just announced Rushmore for 11/22. Time to finally kick my non-anamorphic DVD to the curb.

gently caress

YES

Topper Harley
Jul 6, 2005
You have the whitest white part of the eyes I've ever seen. Do you floss?
Amazon has a November 22 date on their Three Amigos blu-ray page. Cover art, too.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
What would people suggest for a Region B (Australia) player that can be made region free if necessary?
Again, not after any extra features - just a good, cheapish player.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

kaujot posted:

Brilliant! I've been looking for a region-free solution, since even though I bought the region-free Sherwood player before the killed that capability with firmware, it's kind of a crappy player. :smith:

I haven't actually used them (my old BD60 was physically chipped) but apparently firmwareinfo.com provide the modded firmware after a "donation". They post on avsforum a bit and I'm pretty sure at least one Panasonic owner posted in here so I presume they're legit.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Kilometers Davis posted:

Under $200
Wifi for updates
No 3D necessary

Is there any way you could go up to $250? They just dropped the price of the 160 GB PS3 Slim down to 249.99. Basically you'd be paying $50 for PS3 games and 3D capability if you ever need it.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Is it possible to make a PS3 regionfree?

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Why do people still insist on recommending a PS3 for people who just want to play blurays? It's not even the best player on the market anymore.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

Crackbone posted:

Why do people still insist on recommending a PS3 for people who just want to play blurays? It's not even the best player on the market anymore.

:goonsay: It's what Criterion uses to test their disks.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

I love that despite recommending a 3D-enabled player for $150, he should spend $250 on a PS3 (+$25 for a remote!) because it's only "$50 more" and offers "3D capability".

Did I mention he already has a PS3?

Believe it or not, some people just want a Blu-Ray player.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Aug 19, 2011

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Why not combine though? Even though in this case he has one already, but you get a premium gaming system along with a bluray player. It's an insane deal.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Crackbone posted:

It's like those people who still suggest AVG as a antivirus software. The thing they are suggesting was the de facto pick three years ago but they never looked into it since to see if anything has changed.

When you look at the price side by side with the features, there is no reason to buy a PS3 if you aren't interested in gaming.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Worth a double post so it doesn't get lost in my last post.

Blue Velvet preorder is up at Amazon - $17.99

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B005HT400A

I'm not the biggest fan of it but I can't wait to see all the lost footage.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

I've never even seen Blue Velvet and wasn't aware it was so highly regarded. Time to make good use of its spot on my Instant Queue.

e: Which I will be watching on my 3D capable, Blu-ray playing, PS3 games machine :v:

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

Vintersorg posted:

Why not combine though? Even though in this case he has one already, but you get a premium gaming system along with a bluray player. It's an insane deal.

Believe it or not some people don't want to pay significantly more, in some cases double, for a Blu-Ray player just for a feature that they're never going to use for one reason or another.

For a cinema buff who just want to play Blu-Ray discs, a PS3 has downsides like the inability to bypass region detection and lack of 1080p24 DVD upscaling.

(I am not one of those people. I have a PS3.)

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Vintersorg posted:

Let's see:

- Costs $100-150 more than current players with comperable features
- Not everybody wants a gaming machine
- It's bigger than most standalone players
- Remote costs extra
- Universal remote control costs a shitload
- No longer the fastest loading player
- Has horrific Cinavia copy protection on it
- Wireless G instead of N
- Using netflix requires a separate PSN account
- No DVD upscaling drat you frumpsnake!
- Region locked

Crackbone fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Aug 19, 2011

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Crackbone posted:

- No DVD upscaling
I was pretty sure there was DVD upscaling over HDMI.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It does DVD upscaling and is a option in the menu, no need to buy a remote since the controller does everything you need it to do and is actually easier than the controller. Cinavia is only a problem if you pirate movies. Everything else is valid of course.

Load times are fine for me though, I have no issue personally. But I rather have this and have the long time support. I know with my DVD players I went through a lot over the years for better features not supported in a previous model. Wouldn't someone in the long run save more?

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Vintersorg posted:

It does DVD upscaling and is a option in the menu, no need to buy a remote since the controller does everything you need it to do and is actually easier than the controller. Cinavia is only a problem if you pirate movies. Everything else is valid of course.

Load times are fine for me though, I have no issue personally. But I rather have this and have the long time support. I know with my DVD players I went through a lot over the years for better features not supported in a previous model. Wouldn't someone in the long run save more?

Not everybody wants to use a PS3 controller, especially if they have guests/tech illiterates/people used to standard remote layout for 30 years who want to use it.

Cinavia does not just affect pirates. If I want to create a stream-able version of my media I can't do it with a PS3. Hell, if I take a home video with cinavai protected media playing in the background, the PS3 won't let me play it. It's a minor issue but it's there.

And the point is as of today, there's nothing the PS3 provides that you can't get cheaper and/or better in another player. And there's really nothing new left for the format.

- HDMI
- Deep Color
- 3D
- Wireless
- Netflix/Amazon/Vudu/etc

I can get all of that in a $120 device.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

gently caress whoever designed the Scott Pilgrim UK/Ireland Blu-Ray, has about 5 minutes of unskippable poo poo at the start. No I do not want to log into Facebook.

Jack Bandit
Feb 6, 2005
Shit, I'm a free man and I haven't had a conjugal visit in six months

Quantum of Phallus posted:

gently caress whoever designed the Scott Pilgrim UK/Ireland Blu-Ray, has about 5 minutes of unskippable poo poo at the start. No I do not want to log into Facebook.

It was just as bad for the US release.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

Crackbone posted:

- No DVD upscaling drat you frumpsnake!

Vintersorg posted:

It does DVD upscaling and is a option in the menu
Yes, but it's not particularly good and only outputs 1080p60. Better players remove 3:2 pulldown from progressive DVDs and output 1080p24. My two year old lowend model Panasonic did it even. If you have a good TV it might actually be better to output 480i from your PS3 and let it attempt IVTC.

And while it upscales DVD, the PS3, strangely, does not upscale SD content, extras etc. on Blu-Ray discs.

Crackbone posted:

And the point is as of today, there's nothing the PS3 provides that you can't get cheaper and/or better in another player. And there's really nothing new left for the format.

- HDMI
- Deep Color
- 3D
- Wireless
- Netflix/Amazon/Vudu/etc

I can get all of that in a $120 device.

Don't forget that most players will also play files from DLNA UPnP servers like PS3 Media Server, TVersity, Serviio. Apparently Sony's newer Blu-Ray players even support native MKV.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Aug 19, 2011

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
PS3 is wireless G?

No wonder the one in the bedroom can't do Hulu, but the living room (plugged in the router) can.

I figured my walls were just made of lead.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Crackbone posted:

Let's see:
- Has horrific Cinavia copy protection on it

A slight derail, but ever since I heard about this I've been wondering, is this something the industry is considering adopting on a large scale basis? It seems like it could be built into pretty much any kind of device and it really loving sucks.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Trump posted:

A slight derail, but ever since I heard about this I've been wondering, is this something the industry is considering adopting on a large scale basis? It seems like it could be built into pretty much any kind of device and it really loving sucks.

Seems very Sony-centric right now.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Cinavia is probably one of the strongest things to block piracy, there really is no way around it. It sucks for legit use of streaming but if you google Cinavia there is a lot of pissed off pirates.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Vintersorg posted:

BD+ HDCP AACS Region Codes CSS CPPM Cinavia is probably one of the strongest things to block piracy, there really is no way around it.

:mmmhmm:

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

Vintersorg posted:

Cinavia is probably one of the strongest things to block piracy, there really is no way around it. It sucks for legit use of streaming but if you google Cinavia there is a lot of pissed off pirates.

Every movie listed on the Cinavia Wikipedia page has been ripped though so it can't be that awesome.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Vintersorg posted:

I love that this pisses off pirates, as if they're entitled to steal movies or something.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

maniacripper posted:

Every movie listed on the Cinavia Wikipedia page has been ripped though so it can't be that awesome.
Cinavia has nothing to do with being able to copy blu-rays

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Tree of Life pre-order is up, October 11th.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

maniacripper posted:

quote:

The Green Hornet
The Roommate
Battle: Los Angeles
Dylan Dog: Dead of Night
Priest

Thank god!

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

hitze posted:

Cinavia has nothing to do with being able to copy blu-rays

Funny thing is it only effects people with a piece of hardware with the program on it.

I've never even heard of Cinavia before it was brought up in this thread and my first thought after looking it up was "so, why wouldn't a pirate just buy a Roku or Boxee or any other non-Sony Blu-Ray player or hook up their computer up to their TV via HDMI or the thousands of other options they can watch their :filez: without ever running into that piece of DRM?"

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

FitFortDanga posted:

drat, I was hoping for a Criterion. At least it isn't too far off.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

FitFortDanga posted:

Amazon.ca has it coming out on September 27th!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

FitFortDanga posted:

Hopefully we get Terrance's 7 hour cut.

In all seriousness though, I never got to see this in theaters, and I'm really excited to get it on blu-ray because it's supposed to be incredibly beautiful.

I really would watch his 7 hour cut if it is on there, though.

• Locked thread