Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

SaNChEzZ posted:

Why not just buy a gallon of the Shell Rotella T for $25?

It's never occurred to me to put anything else in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004
I wish my bike didn't call for 15w50, otherwise I'd run Rotella T in it like I do my Grand National. I just figure cause I mostly ride the bike when it's warm/hot out I shouldn't run something lighter. I run regular car Mobil1 15w50 and it works fine though.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Endless Mike posted:

Sounds like he's got them straight. :cool:

agreed.
I still live with my mom.

but I've got 12 motorcycles :cool:

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Drunk Pledge Driver posted:

I wish my bike didn't call for 15w50, otherwise I'd run Rotella T in it like I do my Grand National. I just figure cause I mostly ride the bike when it's warm/hot out I shouldn't run something lighter. I run regular car Mobil1 15w50 and it works fine though.

My bike calls for 15w50 as well and I run the rotella with no problems. Although, I'm in 72 degree SoCal so it doesn't really get hot or cold here. The only difference I noticed is a bit of elevated engine noise due to the non-muffling properties of thin oil.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
Sigh, the little Honda I'm riding is leaking oil from the head, I'm going to have to do a top end job on it. I picked up a full gasket kit on Dennis Kirk for the CM200T for about $58. I also ordered the manual and I'll read it thoroughly before I begin the job.

On a side note, it's a small leak and as long as I watch the oil really closely how long do you goons think I can ride it for? I'd say over a week and half it's lost maybe 1/8th to 1/4 quart @ the most.

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

agreed.

Jesus, when you said you had a bunch of bikes I thought you meant two or three not twelve.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

You'll grow a lot as a person when you start having to do everything for yourself.

Also you can walk around naked any time you want.

Content: new tires today, new brake pads and I get to prep for the track tomorrow. whoop whoop!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Odette posted:

God drat, that brought back some weird childhood memories of playing with the car and dad running after me with a wet wooden spoon, screaming bloody murder. :(

It's a good thing I ain't having any kids anytime soon!

My dad had a Porsche 911 RSR replica when I was a kid, I have a very vivid memory of ramming the door with one of those battery powered jeeps when I was like 4 or 5. :suicide:

Coincidentally, it has taken him 20 years to let me even drive one of his cars while he is with me. :v:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

Sigh, the little Honda I'm riding is leaking oil from the head, I'm going to have to do a top end job on it. I picked up a full gasket kit on Dennis Kirk for the CM200T for about $58. I also ordered the manual and I'll read it thoroughly before I begin the job.

On a side note, it's a small leak and as long as I watch the oil really closely how long do you goons think I can ride it for? I'd say over a week and half it's lost maybe 1/8th to 1/4 quart @ the most.

Where is it leaking from on the head?

And you're fine riding it just keep it in the fill lines.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Z3n posted:

Where is it leaking from on the head?

And you're fine riding it just keep it in the fill lines.

It's leaking from where the head attaches to the case. It's definitely a blown gasket. On a side note, this morning I noticed my right exhaust pipe is literally cracked into two pieces. I'm going to see if a buddy can weld it up for me, and in the interim I'm just going to go buy an aluminum strip and a hose clamp. The other side probably has the same thing as it has an aluminum strip and a hose clamp. I'd already guessed that, but I didn't bother to check....

Edit: For content:

Ponies ate my Bagel fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Aug 18, 2011

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

agreed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Cbxedet_EQ&hd=1
my friend took a video of us starting my other friend's bike for the first time.

a few other bikes made a cameo appearance.

by the way the carbs are now tuned and sync'd properly. they don't throw flames anymore :(

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Cbxedet_EQ&hd=1
my friend took a video of us starting my other friend's bike for the first time.

a few other bikes made a cameo appearance.

by the way the carbs are now tuned and sync'd properly. they don't throw flames anymore :(

untune them... make them shoot lots of flames

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
Speaking of old Hondas... I got to ride to work on my 77 CB750K in the rain and it kept running just fine! I was sure something was going to short out.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
All day yesterday and today, a friend and I tore down his Honda CM250's engine as far as we could go without cracking the case, cleaned everything, painted the cylinder, head, and valve cover, and reassembled the thing.

I hate OHC timing chains (and timing in general), but I also hate having to adjust pushrods, so we'll call it even; one hour of fiddling to get the chain and sprocket on and timed correctly, versus two years of 5-minute tappet adjustments on my bike.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

King Nothing posted:

Does your right heel contact the pipe if you don't hold it up? When I rode my friend's SV with a Leo Vince mid-mount mine would if I relaxed my right foot. I love the way the high mounts look though.

edit: I ride with the balls of my feet on the pegs

Update: I can't feel my heel rubbing but it apparently touches the pipe at times because there were a bunch of black streaks on it after a long ride tonight. Doesn't bother me while riding and I don't really care if the exhaust gets a few marks so it's all good.

So nice to run with the stock headers and collector. No more crappy lean surges.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004
Got my bike stolen at bike night :toot:

Basically this. WHY WOULD YOU STEAL THIS? ITS A BEAT UP PIECE OF poo poo. Actually been in another wreck since then.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

BlackMK4 posted:

My dad had a Porsche 911 RSR replica when I was a kid, I have a very vivid memory of ramming the door with one of those battery powered jeeps when I was like 4 or 5. :suicide:

Coincidentally, it has taken him 20 years to let me even drive one of his cars while he is with me. :v:

What's up dad's-Porsche-abusing-buddy? I had a nifty fort in the rafters of my dad's garage and one day knocked a mahogany plank onto the hood of his 1961 356. Luckily Roy Sasaki Restoration in San Jose exists and does magic things with sheet metal. This was in about 1981, I dunno if the actual guy still runs it.

Content:
The lovely Walmart battery in the Seca went bad. The Battery Tender shows a green light after an evening on the juice, but it only turns the engine over about 2 revolutions. It's only about a year old. The bright side is that the lady at the customer service counter said they would exchange it, I just have to come in on a day when they have my model in stock. If I can get a new one without it being prorated I just might be hooked.

I also did a valve adjustment on the R100GS, and torqued down the head bolts. That was really drat easy. gently caress shim-under-bucket, tappets 4eva. Now I just need to replace the paralever boots and lube the driveshaft spline so I don't kill the u-joint, assuming it's not already damaged.

Finally- went to Mount Lassen a few weeks ago with the family. While I was gazing longingly at the V-Star club entering the park, I got to thinking. Then I made a rash statement. I told my wife that if I hadn't ridden the '82 Goldwing to the top of Lassen by August 2012 I would get rid of it even if I have to give it away for parts. The engine finally made it from the driveway to my workbench where it's awaiting disassembly and inspection. If the main bearings are scored that's the end of the story. If they're not- well that's when things get interesting.

[edit] gently caress me- I just took the clutch cover off the GL1100 and found one retaining bolt MIA and one loose in the case, bent at a 60 degree angle. That would pretty much account for the awful noises the bike made the last time I rode it. I can cross "oil starvation" off the list, which is a huge relief. loving previous owner.

AnnoyBot fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Aug 20, 2011

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I went to go bleed the VFR's clutch. I got as far as getting the fairing off and removing one screw from the reservoir, at which point I stripped the gently caress out of the other screw. :mad:

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I replaced the chain. I needed a 110-link, stock size was 112. It feels weird grinding off the head of a rivet on a $1.30/link chain to dump two bucks worth of stuff in the trash, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

I ruined a $10 harbor freight chain tool doing this, so I'm gonna return it. This thing really does suck. The metal is crap. Even after the head was ground concave, the plunger bent. Two plungers in the kit, two pins driven, two bent plungers. Crap.

I used the bent plunger to mushroom the rivet head. I used a straightedge to get the sideplate compression the same on both sides of the chain. I mashed the rivets down until the stupid tool bent; I hope it's enough. I'll keep an eye on it.

The chain came impregnated with white lithium grease. Should I strip that and go to my normal lube regimen, or just start lubing now and not worry about the factory stuff?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
Never. Ever. Strip factory lube off a chain. Run it like you normally would. Add new lube as your normal scheudle would dictate.

As for WHAT I DID. Thursday I bench synced the carbs. Now the GS650E idles on 4 cylinders, all the time. I replaced the munged up pilot jet that I discovered a year ago. That required drilling it out... scary indeed when carb bodies are $200 a pop.

And tonight I am going to set the pilot screws somewhere sane. I did my usual 1.5 turns out. However it's lean as all hell now.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Gear oil will remove that stuff nicely. It does no good outside of the orings and just attracts dirt and grit that serves as cutting paste on the orings. I'll "clean" a new chain with gear oil to avoid having to deal with a gritty, dirty chain after a few rides, because dirt plus the sticky factory grease abuses the poo poo out of the orings.

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

think of it like the "Who's Who" of genitals

Chainged tires by hand for first time and finally took some pictures.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Rode it. One of those glorious times when you hit all your favorite backroads and never get stuck behind a car.

Also, last night I saw a gang of dyed-in-the-wool, tank top wearing squids all riding around on identical FZ6s. :psyduck:

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
In the last week, I've done this to my 89 GSXR 750.

Bondo'd the dent in the fuel tank and painted it
Expoy'd/bondo'd the huge hole in the front fairing and painted it
Replaced the clipon
Replaced the throttle grip
Replaced the intake camshaft & did valve adjustment
Fixed the worn-through pickup side cover and made a new gasket for it
Switched tires and wheels over
Painted the mirror

All because I crashed it. Stupid old bikes and their non-existing sliders..

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Captain Kosmos posted:

Chainged tires by hand for first time and finally took some pictures.

What kind of tires? Those things are burly looking.

Niven
Apr 16, 2003
Sport touring screen & throttlemeister on the VFR. This should make a huge difference on long term rides in the future.

Shouting Melon
Mar 20, 2009

Isn't it an amazing coincidence that two totally different planets would both invent the compact disc?
Iridium spark plugs for the VTR250. Turns out you can change them without having to take the tank off by just reaching through between the bars in the trellis frame. Definitely worth paying for - starts easier, warms up quicker, and even seems to be a bit punchier (though that's probably just wishful thinking on my part).

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

If the old plugs were thrashed that can definitely rob power.

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

think of it like the "Who's Who" of genitals

Slim Pickens posted:

What kind of tires? Those things are burly looking.

Heidenau K73 supermoto tires, bought them mostly because of the look.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004
Picked up my recovered stolen bike

Didn't have comprehensive on it so theft wasn't covered. Bike was pretty beat up already so it wasn't worthwhile. Anyway got it back as you can tell its really beat up now. They stole my rear seat and cowl, battery, fender eliminator + rear signals. The were nice enough to reattach my plate though! Apparently they just pried at the rear left side tail plastic to get to the back side of the lock to unhook the seat latch cable. Rear sets are both broken (left was a D650 one I put on the night before!), kick stand broke off, exhaust can is beat up again, various plastic scrapes, left rocket launcher missing now, right side was missing already. Front fender is smashed so the forks may not be straight :( Ignition was chiseled out so they could run it and have their fun.

Anyway, now hopefully for some help. The bike runs but will not shift. I can tell the clutch cable isn't snapped because it still springs back and what not. Any ideas? I tried tightening it but that didn't seem to help. The indicator on the dash says it is in neutral but the rear wheel is not spinning freely. It's not the rear brake that's locking it up so it must be something in the gearbox?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Check that nothing's binding up on the shift rod assembly. If it binds up even a little bit, the bike won't shift positively.

loving sucks that your bike got jacked and ruined :( Maybe time for a streetfighter now?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Z3n posted:

Check that nothing's binding up on the shift rod assembly. If it binds up even a little bit, the bike won't shift positively.

loving sucks that your bike got jacked and ruined :( Maybe time for a streetfighter now?

I have some projectors out of a 2007 Daytona 675 that would make perfect bugeyes for a street fighter project.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004
I sorted out the shifting... threw my original shifter on, its the direct type and not the linkage type. I literally swapped the linkage shifter on the night before it got stolen too :( I may be able to salvage that somewhat, I think I can bend the rod back and the base plate for the rear set is only like $55 or so. Only problem is the right side base plate is $72ish and probably not worth me buying a replacement as I don't have the heel guard on that side. I currently plan to sell off my street stuff and put my race plastics on for a track only bike but I may consider options to get it back on the street if I can do it cheap enough.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

This makes me 6 different kinds of sad. I'm sorry.

Forty Two
Jun 8, 2007

That really sucks, especially with the insurance. But remember, when life gives you lemons, you just say 'gently caress the lemons' and make yourself a ratbike.

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.

Forty Two posted:

That really sucks, especially with the insurance. But remember, when life gives you lemons, you just say 'gently caress the lemons' and make yourself a ratbike.

May I suggest an alternate route. gently caress those loving thieving bastards and fix it back up again. Replace the missing parts, repaint and restore it to perfect original condition and ride it with your chin held high. Otherwise the terrorists win. :jihad:

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

makka-setan posted:

May I suggest an alternate route. gently caress those loving thieving bastards and fix it back up again. Replace the missing parts, repaint and restore it to perfect original condition and ride it with your chin held high. Otherwise the terrorists win. :jihad:

Do this, but finance it with a bike you stole from them.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Eh, I'd second a rat rod bike. When doing some HEAVY bondo/sanding work on a friend's motorcycle tank for his CM250, we were both tempted to clear coat it right after the bondo was sanded down. Splotches of bare metal, primer, bondo, with rings of the old paint in between can look drat sexy. Plus, a Triumph with a large, flat Ducati/Cafe style headlight would be sweet. Triumph just screams "sleeper bike" to me.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
I replaced the stock pads on my SV650 with EBC HH rated pads. Holy. poo poo.

I haven't broken them in yet (will go do that tonight) but the quick test up and down the street resulted in what felt like a near-endo and I slid forward on the seat unexpectedly and racked myself against the tank.

I'm looking forward to the pads after they're broken in properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

GanjamonII posted:

I'm looking forward to the pads after they're broken in properly.

I've got ~1500km on mine now. They lose a little bit of that initial "whoa Nelly" bite and become a bit more progressive when they're broken in, stopping power is good and strong.