Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

xzzy posted:

Yeah, I'm already on the horn with them. I'm sure it'll get resolved satisfactorily, it just sucks to have a shipment arrive and it's a box of kindling.

Did they take care of this for you? I've bought a bunch of stuff from them in the past and was pretty satisfied but if they're dicks to SAS hockey dudes I'll go elsewhere out of spite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
I'll definitely buy a few of those pucks, they look great. Thanks!

I think if I back my car out of the garage, I could have a nice surface that is almost like ice. One other thing that happens to me all the time is that I often will stickhandle and the puck will get off my stick and take off down the ice because... well, it's ice.. So I think using a training puck like that on smooth concrete will help immensely.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
My shot went through the net last night :smugdog:

we lost 15-1 :smuggo:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

trilljester posted:

I'll definitely buy a few of those pucks, they look great. Thanks!

I think if I back my car out of the garage, I could have a nice surface that is almost like ice. One other thing that happens to me all the time is that I often will stickhandle and the puck will get off my stick and take off down the ice because... well, it's ice.. So I think using a training puck like that on smooth concrete will help immensely.

I did one of those epoxy coatings on my garage floor, and it's slick as hell now. Perfect for practicing stick handling.

Here's exactly what I used:
http://www.rustoleum.com/cbgproduct.asp?pid=16

It's a MASSIVE pain in the rear end to put on. You literally have to get down and scrub every inch of your garage floor to clean it up (after temporarily moving all your spider-infested poo poo to your living room of course) before you coat it, but it's completely worth it.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Gio posted:

Is there a place online to buy those pucks for cheap? 'Cause they're $6 or $7 apiece at the store I go to.

Side note: For those of you who don't remember (everyone!), I started working out at a Crossfit facility in the area, and Drew Miller has been working out there pretty much every time I go there. It'd be cool if he worked out with the class instead of a personal trainer.

Inline Warehouse USED to have them for like 5.99 and if you buy 5 or more they were 5.45. Looks like their price went up though. They are worth the price if you are playing outdoor especially. The plastic has more of a tendency to break in colder weather though

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

The Dirty Burger posted:

Tonight is game 1 of our playoff bid. We are facing off against the top ranked team in the league who whipped our asses when we played during the regular season (something like 7 to 1 loss).

I will update tomorrow. I'm psyched to have made the playoffs, but dammit if this isn't a scary game to enter into.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

The Dirty Burger posted:

You didn't knuckle puck time enough!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Thufir posted:

Did they take care of this for you? I've bought a bunch of stuff from them in the past and was pretty satisfied but if they're dicks to SAS hockey dudes I'll go elsewhere out of spite.

Yes they did. Sent an email, couple hours later I got a response that said they sent out a second identical shipment, sorry for the problem, etc.

They didn't give me a faster shipping rate though, and I don't have the replacements yet (looks like it'll be here on Monday.. ugh).

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
Welp, we're out of the playoffs after a 6-1 loss. One dude on the other team went end-to-end for five of the goals. Definitely playing much lower than he should be. Even the refs took him aside to say "Hey, cut that poo poo out or we're kicking you out of this league." We're in the D-League, he should be at least in the B-League.

My friend from high school is my personal coach and A-League superstar. He was really happy with how I'm transitioning to forward from defense. Tonight's playoff match marked my forth time in a forward position. I'm still learning forward strategies and puck handling is an absolute mess. It felt awesome though when I saw what the other team was doing and intercepted a pass for a breakaway. Forward is fun, but definitely more skating.

I'm glad I discovered this thread earlier today. With an actual coach who has drills, exercises, and can read what I need to work on I'm very excited to play hockey again. It was lots of fun in college (learned to skate when I was 19) when my friends and I would just chase the puck, but now that I'm introducing more sophistication to it all it's really taking off.

Skate hard, don't trip over the lines, keep your head up, and put it "right where grandma keeps the peanut butter."

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
A giant old guy hip checked me last night and I fell in the little space between my butt pad and hip pad and this morning my butt hurts a lot. I cannot get to 100%. :(

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

bewbies posted:

A giant old guy hip checked me last night and I fell in the little space between my butt pad and hip pad and this morning my butt hurts a lot. I cannot get to 100%. :(

I remember showing up to work a few years ago with a perfect puck shaped bruise on my calf where a howitzer shot got me in the gap in my shin pads. It was the perfect sidewall shape of the puck. Didn't hurt much, just looked funny.

oddIXIbbo
Feb 25, 2009

Character is like a tree and reputation like a shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

WouldDesk posted:

Maybe you two should zip your bags.

That happened to me once. After a complete scouring and throwing out everything that couldn't be washed or peroxided to death, I started hanging my gear on the floor joists in the basement.

10 or so of those $0.50 ceiling hooks and a cordless drill later and I was back on track. Sticks are neatly hanging too.

Set up a couple of fans pointing up and the gear dries quickly, never stinks. Never accessable to cat rear end.

Also, those $3.00 large bicycle hooks are awesome for hanging the filled and zipped bag after the gear is dry. My hockey gear area takes up 0 floor space and is tucked against the wall when not in use.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
I just got an email about a pretty sweet deal from the Predators:

Get an hour of icetime at Bridgestone arena plus 40 tickets to a weekday preds game for $1000. I bet playing on the big-time ice would be fun.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

Thufir posted:

Get an hour of icetime at Bridgestone arena plus 40 tickets to a weekday preds game for $1000. I bet playing on the big-time ice would be fun.
That's not bad at all. $25 bucks a person for both a ticket and ice time. Should convince your team and another team in the league to do it. At the Joe this same thing would probably be $3000-$5000. I remember growing up we were lucky enough to play at the end of the first of a Griffins game. Memories...

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Vital Signs posted:

I remember growing up we were lucky enough to play at the end of the first of a Griffins game. Memories...

I'm jealous. The closest thing I've ever gotten was when I would go to public skates where the Muskegon Fury would play.

I remember looking at the boards and just seeing all of the ads up close, skating over the center ice logo and looking at it up close for the first time.

I was completely in awe of hockey as a kid.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

Verman posted:

I'm jealous. The closest thing I've ever gotten was when I would go to public skates where the Muskegon Fury would play.

I remember looking at the boards and just seeing all of the ads up close, skating over the center ice logo and looking at it up close for the first time.

I was completely in awe of hockey as a kid.
Fury games were good times.

We even tied the other team and went to a shootout and I scored Charlie style. By Charlie style... I actually mean got really lucky and scored the winning goal. It was my highlight and go to for like 3 years.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Thufir posted:

This is an incredible deal.

Playing in a huge rink is pretty awesome. Realize though that you'll be changing in the referees room if you're lucky or in the bowels of the arena and there probably won't be benches. Not a big deal at all but something to remember.

When I played at Staples Center after a Kings game it was great, but old Reunion Arena when we played in high school they didn't have the full air circulation for the building running so it was really hot on the ice. Then after an Austin Ice Bats game we changed in a doublewide trailer and had to walk outside in 90 degree heat to get into the arena :clint: . I remember at one point it got really foggy

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!

sellouts posted:

This is an incredible deal.

Playing in a huge rink is pretty awesome. Realize though that you'll be changing in the referees room if you're lucky or in the bowels of the arena and there probably won't be benches. Not a big deal at all but something to remember.

When I played at Staples Center after a Kings game it was great, but old Reunion Arena when we played in high school they didn't have the full air circulation for the building running so it was really hot on the ice. Then after an Austin Ice Bats game we changed in a doublewide trailer and had to walk outside in 90 degree heat to get into the arena :clint: . I remember at one point it got really foggy

When I played at HP we changed in a dressing room that appears to be used for the ugly backup dancers at concerts.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

Thufir posted:

I played at the old Aud in Buffalo once and it was EASILY the best ice I've ever been on. It was just miles above anything I've ever even seen in person.

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS

bewbies posted:

I got hit with a wrist shot there once. It sucked. A lot.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Achilles Bursitis :(

6 weeks of PT recommended by doctor. gently caress!

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

6 weeks of PT recommended by doctor. gently caress!

Walk it off.

(Amateur Doctor)

Carwash Cunt
Aug 21, 2007

trilljester posted:

Besides playing with a tennis ball and a stick, are there any other good stickhandling drills I can do on dry ground? Mainly, I want to focus on getting better at carrying the puck up ice with my head up and maybe do a few jukes here and there. Everytime I try a juke, I lose the puck or the D-man whacks it off my stick.

I was just at a coaching clinic last weekend. One thing that most players do is make their moves too late. Once you are in stick range, it is too easy for the D to poke the puck away.

After playing hockey for 25 years, I am retiring to be a coach. Can't wait to get e-mails and phone calls at midnight from angry hockey dads!

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

Stringer_Bell posted:

Can't wait to get e-mails and phone calls at midnight from angry hockey dads!

It is the moms you really need to worry about.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Stringer_Bell posted:

I was just at a coaching clinic last weekend. One thing that most players do is make their moves too late. Once you are in stick range, it is too easy for the D to poke the puck away.

So when is the right time to make the move? Right before they are in stick range?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

trilljester posted:

So when is the right time to make the move? Right before they are in stick range?

How quick and good is your move vs how slow is he? It all really depends. Generally the least amount of time & space you can give him to react and still be successful is when you make the move. Or if you see him make a mistake in positioning, skating or stickwork, that's a great time to make a move. Really helpful, I know...

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008
The object of a "move" isn't to confuse the defenders arms and stick, it's to get his feet moving one way while you're already planning to go the next. Move one way early and then go the opposite direction as soon as the d-man reacts.

Putting the puck through someones legs is a lot more glamorous but it's surprisingly easy to confuse lower level players and just skate right by them as they pirouette around and hack at your ankles.

Carwash Cunt
Aug 21, 2007

trilljester posted:

Right. Get them off balance, or make them change speed with stick work. It is a bit of a a cat and mouse game. You want to make the defense think they can poke check you, then use that against them with a burst of speed, puck through the legs or whatever else works. But, like was just said before, it doesn't really matter if they can skate way better.

If you are playing non-contact, the easiest thing to do is cut right into the middle of the ice (think Lindros) once you get over the blue-line. It makes the d slow down and can give room for shots or passes.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!
Is 6 D too many? Last season we always had problems with D not showing up, we had games where we had to use O at D or illegally use subs to get to 4 D... I was thinking about going 6D this season?

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
If everyone shows up 6 defense is probably too many. But if you're reasonably sure you will normally only have 4 at a time, however you can manage to do that, it's probably okay to roster 6.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

If you play with D who understand what a 45-60 second shift feels like instinctively it's really not that bad. If they are whiners about ice time or like to stay out there for 2-3 min at a time, you 4D is probably better.

For me, I don't whine about ice time if everyone is sprinting when they're out there. When people aren't hustling, it sucks for those that still have the energy to, and usually the people who would whine about ice time are the ones who don't hustle past the 2nd period.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

sellouts posted:

For me, I don't whine about ice time if everyone is sprinting when they're out there. When people aren't hustling, it sucks for those that still have the energy to, and usually the people who would whine about ice time are the ones who don't hustle past the 2nd period.

Absolutely. Hockey is a performance sport and not an economy one. Get out there and fight a couple battles as hard as you can and get the gently caress out. It breaks my heart to hear a guy bitch about shift lengths then go out and ski around his turns for two minutes.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
4 D is money, if one doesn't show up 3 D isn't that bad because a forward wanting more ice time could play back or even having one sub is fine for my team I found.

Having all 6 defensemen show up would suck a dick, beer league D take 2 minute shifts

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah
I'm managing my team for the first time this year and if everyone shows up we'll have 3 lines of forwards and 6 D. I'm kind of hoping we're always missing at least one person each game otherwise the D will probably be pissed...

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

The Alien Leader of Transportation

The Dirty Burger posted:

4 D is money, if one doesn't show up 3 D isn't that bad because a forward wanting more ice time could play back or even having one sub is fine for my team I found.

Having all 6 defensemen show up would suck a dick, beer league D take 2 minute shifts

This. Having 5 capable d-men, with one playing forward because either he doesn't like playing d or he's a good forward is money. Having 5 show up with a full forward roster sucks, but it's just something you have to deal with occasionally. So like 5 capable d-men, plus 9 forwards is where it's at.

oddIXIbbo
Feb 25, 2009

Character is like a tree and reputation like a shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

Sexy Randal posted:

I'm managing my team for the first time this year and if everyone shows up we'll have 3 lines of forwards and 6 D. I'm kind of hoping we're always missing at least one person each game otherwise the D will probably be pissed...

Always 'plan' on having 5-6 defensemen but expect to be skating with 4. We are very lucky to have 6 experienced defensemen, 2 of whom are playing forward according to the roster. If someone can't make it, we simply bring one of those guys back for a night.

It's also really nice to have 2 very conservative guys and 4 aggressive guys. Just make sure to mix them, not match them.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

sellouts posted:

If you play with D who understand what a 45-60 second shift feels like instinctively it's really not that bad. If they are whiners about ice time or like to stay out there for 2-3 min at a time, you 4D is probably better.

It's beer league. The defense will all stay out for 2-3 minutes.

We got our forward lines changing every 45-60 seconds, but not the defense, ever.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

sellouts posted:

The one guy who complains the most is the worst player because he doesn't skate hard so he feels like he can stay out for days. I let my friend run the D and he was bitching about 5 D one day and I went off on him and he has not said anything about it in a long time. I try and go 5D to limit the playing time of the weaker players:v: I think we are going to go with 5D "slots" and two of those slots will be 4 people playing part time so if we are ever short we can get a PT player to fill in.

Sexy Randal posted:

This is/was my first season running a team and we played 16 regular season games + 2 pre season games and one playoff game and I can count on one hand the amount of games we had a full bench. I would recommend a few "swing players" and can play both positions well so if you're short they can cover O or D. I would also recommend drilling into your players that they NEED to let you know when they cant make it. It sucks trying to make a roster worth XX amount of players and then one doesnt show and your stuck with an odd number of players.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Tackla pants on the way, woohoo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

poser posted:

I would recommend a few "swing players" and can play both positions well so if you're short they can cover O or D.

This is me. :v: I'm actually a natural D but I can turn on the "forward" switch enough to be a good defensive forward.

Though it is hard when there's an injury in game and I have to switch within the same game...