Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Capn Beeb posted:

It is in the Chosen Time Zone. Even living on the East coast I know this.

Game's made in East, it should unlock in East.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oversteps
Sep 11, 2001

blacquethoven posted:

my roommate brought this home from work tonight, just got done with the tutorial mission. if anyone has any questions about the game i'd be happy to oblige.
Are you on console? I'd love to hear about the loading times. If you're playing on 360, I'd love even more to hear how the load times are after the game is installed to disc!

blacquethoven
Nov 29, 2003
the loading times are ~30-45 seconds so far, didn't install because my hard drive is pretty full. playing on a 360.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Loading times are awful on xbox, must be better on pc for sure.

Still doing the tutorial kind of mission. Avoiding combat is pretty easy, the levels are very well designed for that approach. Yet to use my tranquilizers. Takedowns are pretty effective since they recharge on their own after a certain time.

Reive
May 21, 2009

God drat why does the loading have to suck? :qq:

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

blacquethoven posted:

the loading times are ~30-45 seconds so far, didn't install because my hard drive is pretty full. playing on a 360.

Worst game, canceling pre-order, angry forum posts already sent out.

What a shame.

Jenova Project
Aug 5, 2007

by Fistgrrl
The PC version is loading from the hard disk, not an optical drive. Compare apples to apples.

blacquethoven posted:

That seems about right for loading times from DVD, However, that doesn't answer the loading from the hard drive question, which is the kind of the one all the console users in here are asking.

I'm assuming it's comparable to the PC load time. Maybe a little worse. Until someone reports on it. :colbert:

Jenova Project fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Aug 21, 2011

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

SamBishop has the PS3 version, I wish he would report in on the load times.

oversteps
Sep 11, 2001

Thanks, guys, for your quick answers. Ulio, are you able to install the game to the disc (if you're also on 360, that is)? I'm wondering if it's a massive difference in speed, or if it only cuts it down by a handful of seconds.

How is the framerate?

Are the pre-rendered cinematics super compressed and ugly on 360? That's usually par for the course, but I'd love to be pleasantly surprised.

I'd imagine this is obvious, but the 360 version is only one disc, right?

How's the manual? ;) It's rather silly, but I miss games with thick loving full-color manuals. I know this won't have much, but if they at least put some effort into that, I know I'll be happy. I love it when my game cases feel a lot heavier. I'm a total fuckin' sperglord when it comes to this kind of stuff. :v:

oversteps fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Aug 21, 2011

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Jarate posted:

How's the manual? ;) It's rather silly, but I miss games with thick loving full-color manuals. I know this won't have much, but if they at least put some effort into that, I know I'll be happy.

DXHR Manual

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Aphrodite posted:

Game's made in East, it should unlock in East.

Valve is in the west, and valve controls time.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

DX:HR is at midnight, so whenever Gaben has a 2nd midnight snack is when he will finally get around to pushing the button.

oversteps
Sep 11, 2001

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

DXHR Manual
Oh, cool, thanks! I forgot all about Steam. So that answers that, black and white.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

DXHR Manual

Looks like they changed the default takedown hotkey.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Weird question, but fairly applicable to here: I pre-ordered DX:HR with release date shipping from Amazon on Friday at 2:30 pm EST.

The question part is that Amazon has yet to charge my bank account via the debit card I used. Is this normal? If so, when can I expect the charge to hit?

I've done this before with a game, but it was so long ago I can't remember how this aspect went.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
They charge when they ship.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I am installing now(requires 6gb), will see what it does. I didn't see any framerate drops. And yes it's only a one disc game.

edit: loading time with the install seems like 25-30. much better

Ulio fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Aug 21, 2011

oversteps
Sep 11, 2001

Ulio posted:

I am installing now(requires 6gb), will see what it does. I didn't see any framerate drops. And yes it's only a one disc game.

Woo! That's awesome news! Thanks a lot, boss.

Hotwire
Mar 11, 2006

hehehe

Pretentious Turtle posted:

Looks like they changed the default takedown hotkey.

I was gonna say 'that's what it was before!' then I realised I'd changed my bind to Q in the leak because it worked better. Whoops.

the_Vandal
Feb 7, 2004

You make me wanna cry
You make me wanna die
I love you, I love you, I love you,
I love you, I love you
Night Man
So does the game have any DX 10 or 11 effects? Or is it just DX9?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

the_Vandal posted:

So does the game have any DX 10 or 11 effects? Or is it just DX9?

Dear god, you just reminded me what a moronic shitstorm there will be if it doesn't use DX11. Any top tier PC game that comes out these days, if it doesn't use DX11, the fanbase acts like the game sexually assaulted their grandmother.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I think the game is suppose to use DX11, but mostly as a optimization thing, it creates less overhead compared to DX9, so the game runs better.

the_Vandal
Feb 7, 2004

You make me wanna cry
You make me wanna die
I love you, I love you
Night Man

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Dear god, you just reminded me what a moronic shitstorm there will be if it doesn't use DX11. Any top tier PC game that comes out these days, if it doesn't use DX11, the fanbase acts like the game sexually assaulted their grandmother.

I don't even care as long as the game is fun, but if it has the options then that's cool with me if I can make it look or run better.

Hostile Rabbi
Jun 25, 2005

by Ralp
The leak had an option to render with DX9 or DX11. There were options for tessellation (for sure) and SSAO (I think).

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Hostile Rabbi posted:

The leak had an option to render with DX9 or DX11. There were options for tessellation (for sure) and SSAO (I think).

Your grandmothers vaginas are safe, gentlemen.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

I never played the original Deus Ex, but this looks really cool. Is the gameplay fairly action-oriented or am I going to have to use the red key on the white book in the blue room to listen to the ten minute long audio-log of a minor characters sister talking about an event that I missed because I didnt look in the broom closet 10 minutes into the game just to advance the plot?
Because clicking on random poo poo to get things done sucks.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Unless you're talking to someone, you're pretty much always doing something, unless you want to listen to NPC conversations. You might miss out on secrets/hints if you don't listen, but you could totally play the game as a straight-forward covershooter if you wanted to.

the_Vandal
Feb 7, 2004

You make me wanna cry
You make me wanna die
I love you, I love you
Night Man
Cool. I was just looking at the steam page and it said Directx 9.0c under recommended so I had no idea. Like I said though, it's not a big deal and I've already bought it anyways. I'll probably have to turn off tessellation since I'm only running an overclocked 5850.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Since this game is just a couple days away (I'm too lazy to read the whole thread), and as someone who never played the original Deus Ex: Is this game worth preordering if I have no attachment to the franchise, is it as good as the previous game is reported to be?

Hostile Rabbi
Jun 25, 2005

by Ralp
Dialog, quests, and world exploration are similar to RPGs, combat is pretty much a modern FPS with special attacks in the form of augmentations.

All the maps (as far as I've seen) have multiple ways to get through them, so no need to find the blue key for the blue door.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Shooting Blanks posted:

Since this game is just a couple days away (I'm too lazy to read the whole thread), and as someone who never played the original Deus Ex: Is this game worth preordering if I have no attachment to the franchise, is it as good as the previous game is reported to be?

It's better than Infinite War, and is definite GOTY material, and quite possibly (to me at least) will be better than the original.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Pretentious Turtle posted:

Unless you're talking to someone, you're pretty much always doing something, unless you want to listen to NPC conversations. You might miss out on secrets/hints if you don't listen, but you could totally play the game as a straight-forward covershooter if you wanted to.

So its cyberpunk Mass Effect with better music and a none of Biowares creepy nerd-pandering? Sold.

Hostile Rabbi
Jun 25, 2005

by Ralp

Shooting Blanks posted:

Dude, just read the OP. It pretty much has everything you could ever want to know about the game in there.

But for a really short answer: if you're a fan of FPS combat or western RPGs you'll probably enjoy the game.

the_Vandal
Feb 7, 2004

You make me wanna cry
You make me wanna die
I love you, I love you
Night Man
I still remember playing the original when it came out. Splitting my time between it, Diablo 2, dank nugs, and my first girlfriend. Summer of 2000 was the best summer ever. :sigh: :memories:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Would a GTX 560 and 2.66Ghz quad core run this game well on higher settings?

I've pre-ordered it and showing off my deus items on TF2, I'm super excited, especially from the gameplay I've seen. Are there any reviews out yet?

Thank god this isn't going to be a sloppy console port that requires a 3.6 heptacore or some poo poo in order to run well.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Aug 21, 2011

Deep Space Hitler
Apr 21, 2011

Bobnumerotres posted:

Would a GTX 560 and 2.66Ghz quad core run this game well on higher settings?

I've pre-ordered it and showing off my deus items on TF2, I'm super excited, especially from the gameplay I've seen. Are there any reviews out yet?

Thank god this isn't going to be a sloppy console port that requires a 3.6 heptacore or some poo poo in order to run well.

Yeah reviews are surfacing...

"While so many stealth games equate any sort of detection with total failure, Human Revolution lets the chaotic consequences of exposure play out in all their unpredictable glory. Shoddy storytelling means that all the sound and fury that results ultimately signifies dreadfully little, but at no point short of death do you every truly lose - you just have a different kind of fun. [Oct 2011, p.72] 8.5/10"

- official xbox magizine

Jenova Project
Aug 5, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Ulio posted:

That's not bad at all, considering "installing" the game to the best of my knowledge is actually mounting a disk image. Which would account for games like Halo 3's poorer performance when installed I guess.

Thanks for the info, it's really good to know it won't be super horrible. What were the PC loading times on a non-SSD hard drive, for comparison? A SSD will blow everything else out of the water, I'm not even going to try to argue that.

EDIT: For those of you that played the leak, of course.

EDIT2: Oh no gonna get showed up by a PC user. OH NO.

Jenova Project fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Aug 21, 2011

the_Vandal
Feb 7, 2004

You make me wanna cry
You make me wanna die
I love you, I love you
Night Man
I'm gonna use steam tool to put it on my ssd. :cawg:

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Bobnumerotres posted:

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/deus-ex-human-revolution/critic-reviews
http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/deus-ex-human-revolution/critic-reviews
http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/deus-ex-human-revolution/critic-reviews

Also, while it's not up, EDGE gave the PC version a 100 apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I've been catching up on some of the DX video watching that I haven't been doing and I gotta say, the universe is kinda depressing. It's bad enough watching this and seeing what an already lovely state the world is going to and its worse knowing that it doesn't get better. No matter what Adam achieves in Human Revolution, the writers still have to leave the world in the crappy state it's in Deus Ex 1. The entire series is just a slow spiral into the effective end of humanity.

And its even more depressing knowing that's basically the direction reality is going in as well.

• Locked thread