Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
So I just got a Netflix account and have been enjoying my instant queue on my AppleTV. However, if I want to watch stuff on my laptop I have to install Microsoft Silverlight. Ive heard some rumblings that its pretty lovely and can mess with some codecs and is hard to uninstall. Is any of this true? Can anyone weigh in on how silverlight performs on their mac?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

frogbs posted:

So I just got a Netflix account and have been enjoying my instant queue on my AppleTV. However, if I want to watch stuff on my laptop I have to install Microsoft Silverlight. Ive heard some rumblings that its pretty lovely and can mess with some codecs and is hard to uninstall. Is any of this true? Can anyone weigh in on how silverlight performs on their mac?

I don't use it heavily, but it sure hasn't interfered with anything else. OS X lacks DirectShow, codec hell like you'd see on a Windows box won't happen.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

frogbs posted:

I've had Silverlight installed on my Macs for the last year or so and never encountered any issues related to it.

Crush
Jan 18, 2004
jot bought me this account, I now have to suck him off.
Not sure if this ventures out more into Windows territory, but since we are talking Boot Camp here…

Is there a way to encrypt the entire Windows partition on a Mac?

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Crush posted:

Not sure if this ventures out more into Windows territory, but since we are talking Boot Camp here…

Is there a way to encrypt the entire Windows partition on a Mac?

BitLocker, PGP, or TrueCrypt, off the top of my head.

NerdsMcGee
Sep 23, 2006
My hands are too stained...

Lazyhound posted:

BitLocker, PGP, or TrueCrypt, off the top of my head.

If you are using FileVault 2 in Lion, does it show up in Windows at all after installing the Boot Camp utils? (I'm guessing no.)

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Zenostein posted:

Did Apple (or you) actually change back/forward in Finder with Lion? Because it's always been cmd+[ and cmd+] to go back/forward in Finder.

That said, if LCC is just saying back/forward, it should work regardless, unless it's actually just sending cmd left/right and assuming that's a universal command.
It's cmd+left arrow and cmd+right arrow to go back and forward in my Finder menu at least. I haven't changed it in the keyboard settings. The thumb buttons on the mouse are cmd+[ and cmd+] according to LCC, but changing the keyboard shortcut to those won't work either. It only works if I go to LCC and change the thumb buttons to be keystrokes, cmd+arrow keys, but they revert to cmd+[ and so on after a while.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

NerdsMcGee posted:

If you are using FileVault 2 in Lion, does it show up in Windows at all after installing the Boot Camp utils? (I'm guessing no.)
You're correct, it doesn't show up. Any Lion-encrypted drive won't show up in Windows.

DeepThought
Feb 19, 2005
Cthulhu Light

Lazyhound posted:

Is there a way to disable the page slide animation in Preview? It's worse than e-ink.

Try "option + up/down"

<clip>
You can use alt/option + up/down or alt/option + left/right to navigate pages without the sliding effect.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

DeepThought posted:

Try "option + up/down"

<clip>
You can use alt/option + up/down or alt/option + left/right to navigate pages without the sliding effect.

Thanks. I figured that one out on my own, but I'd still like a way to disable it completely, as a key combo is more awkward for prolonged reading.

e: I know of Skim, as well, but I find it clunky (worth it for TeX support, though).

Lazyhound fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Aug 21, 2011

bonzaisushi
Nov 15, 2003

doo dee doo dmt, lsd doo dmt, lsd doo dmt...
Anyone know why clicking my finder icon in the dock brings up this lovely version/view of finder?

I want the finder in my dock to launch the finder that looks like this...

I am using total finder, but was not having this issue with it a few days ago.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

bonzaisushi posted:

Anyone know why clicking my finder icon in the dock brings up this lovely version/view of finder?

I want the finder in my dock to launch the finder that looks like this...

I am using total finder, but was not having this issue with it a few days ago.

Go to View Options, there should be an option to set the default view for all windows.

meme23
Aug 21, 2011

by T. Finn
The new gestures have yet to add anything particularly groundbreaking and are most tedious compared to the old one. I should have never installed Lion, it has left me in despair.

bonzaisushi
Nov 15, 2003

doo dee doo dmt, lsd doo dmt, lsd doo dmt...

Lazyhound posted:

Go to View Options, there should be an option to set the default view for all windows.

My hero, thanks!

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Why won't Lion let me delete certain video files? It claims that they're being used... but they're not. There's not a single video player on. I don't remember having this issue in SL, which was nice because I hated it when it constantly happened with Windows, and now it's happening with Lion. :mad:

Edit: Nevermind, turns out it was MplayerX making GBS threads itself for a change. Had to kill it in the processes but at least I got an empty trash bin now.

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Aug 21, 2011

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

meme23 posted:

The new gestures have yet to add anything particularly groundbreaking and are most tedious compared to the old one. I should have never installed Lion, it has left me in despair.
What? What new gestures? What old gestures? What in holy hell are you talking about?

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:

coldplay chiptunes posted:

What? What new gestures? What old gestures? What in holy hell are you talking about?

Lion added new multitouch gestures, changed the function of some existing multitouch gestures from Snow Leopard, and removed others.

That said, I think he just needs to get used to the new gestures. I do miss the swipe to show the desktop, but the rest are useful once you get used to them.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Is there a gesture to activate full-screen mode on apps that support it? I can't seem to find it, maybe I'm dumb. :downs:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

There isn't any gesture in the default set, no. You might be able to make one with BTT though.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

Stare-Out posted:

Edit: Nevermind, turns out it was MplayerX making GBS threads itself for a change. Had to kill it in the processes but at least I got an empty trash bin now.

This is a Lion feature. Closing the program no longer necessarily kills the process, because iOS.

Also whoever was complaining about gestures, just use BetterTouchTool.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

carry on then posted:

There isn't any gesture in the default set, no. You might be able to make one with BTT though.

Yeah, just setup Cmd + Pinch In / Pinch Out to do fullscreen.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Lazyhound posted:

This is a Lion feature. Closing the program no longer necessarily kills the process, because iOS.
That's probably it, but in this case MplayerX really did crash though. And for some reason Quicktime X made me download Quicktime 7 when I tried to watch an .avi file on it. :confused:

Auriak
Aug 6, 2007

My backpack's got jets!
How is this Lion not-closing-processes-thing supposed to affect battery life? When I'm not plugged in, I'm pretty anal when it comes to closing apps I'm not using.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
Is there a viable iTunes alternative yet? I recently moved my library to a NAS, and its been for the most part working fine, but every times iTunes wants to check gapless playback or download album artwork or do any of the dozens of automated tasks it so very much loves, I can't do anything with it for two minutes while it beach-balls.

Really, I feel like iTunes just sucks dealing with networked drives and am fed up with it and all its bloat. Any tips?

edit: for the record, my setup is basically having a local library file called "iTunes via NAS" (without the consolidation or organization boxes checked) pointing to files on a samba share (I use MediaRage to transfer files into their proper directories). AFP connections have no effect.

f#a# fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Aug 21, 2011

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Auriak posted:

How is this Lion not-closing-processes-thing supposed to affect battery life? When I'm not plugged in, I'm pretty anal when it comes to closing apps I'm not using.

An idle app here or there won't affect your battery life at all, and I have yet to come across a process that was supposed to close actually using any resources other than memory.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000
Has anyone else found that scrolling left and right in windows is now a massive pain in the rear end? Especially Finder. It randomly stutters and stops instead of scrolling smoothly.

Edit - Actually, it's ONLY Finder that has this issue, Firefox and Thunderbird scroll just fine.

Makes navigating deep folder hierarchies really cumbersome.

NoDamage fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Aug 21, 2011

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Scrolls fine for me

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Krakkles posted:

So I use TimeMachine to backup my hard drive, but I'd also like to maintain a copy of all of my files on an external disk. Are there any worthwhile folder sync programs or recommended solutions?
Picked up Folder Sync, seems to work quite well. We shall see.

modig
Aug 20, 2002

NoDamage posted:

Has anyone else found that scrolling left and right in windows is now a massive pain in the rear end? Especially Finder. It randomly stutters and stops instead of scrolling smoothly.

Edit - Actually, it's ONLY Finder that has this issue, Firefox and Thunderbird scroll just fine.

Makes navigating deep folder hierarchies really cumbersome.

I wonder if it's because the page turn gesture is a two finger sideways swipe by default, which is sort of the same as a two finger sideways scroll.

markerstore
Dec 5, 2003
Canny!

Terpfen posted:

I do miss the swipe to show the desktop, but the rest are useful once you get used to them.

Five fingers outwards (the opposite of the Launchpad gesture) will show the desktop.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:

markerstore posted:

Five fingers outwards (the opposite of the Launchpad gesture) will show the desktop.

I had to experiment to get what you meant here. Turns out it's a five finger pinch outward. Thanks for the notice, I didn't know they remapped the gesture. Finally, I can see the desktop again!

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Terpfen posted:

I had to experiment to get what you meant here. Turns out it's a five finger pinch outward. Thanks for the notice, I didn't know they remapped the gesture. Finally, I can see the desktop again!
Makes sense if you just think about it (I've got 3-finger up set in BTT with my magic mouse). Get out of here junk let me see!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Uh, does the "hold a key to bring up its accented form" list not work in Chrome for anyone else?

I'm typing some french and it doesn't bring up the list in Chrome, but it does in TextEdit. I thought this was just a global text entry thing and didn't need to be implemented app by app :(

e: Oh it looks like it's maybe a known bug I guess. Sorry.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Aug 21, 2011

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Terpfen posted:

It's actually three fingers + thumb.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

modig posted:

I wonder if it's because the page turn gesture is a two finger sideways swipe by default, which is sort of the same as a two finger sideways scroll.
Yeah, it seems like it must be recognizing the gesture and then stopping the current scroll movement. What's unfortunate is even if you turn off that gesture in System Preferences, Finder still behaves the same way. :(

meme23
Aug 21, 2011

by T. Finn

Terpfen posted:

Lion added new multitouch gestures, changed the function of some existing multitouch gestures from Snow Leopard, and removed others.

That said, I think he just needs to get used to the new gestures. I do miss the swipe to show the desktop, but the rest are useful once you get used to them.

I'm sorry but no amount of use will get me adjusted to the awkwardness of the palm pinch.

modig
Aug 20, 2002

meme23 posted:

I'm sorry but no amount of use will get me adjusted to the awkwardness of the palm pinch.

Agree. I just click launch pad in the dock.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

meme23 posted:

Really? I think it's actually kind of fun. :v:

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

You guys have malformed hands or something? Just rest all your fingers on the pad then move fingers down and thumb up, boom.

I can understand it being a pain if you've got long nails or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

appropriatemetaphor posted:

You guys have malformed hands or something? Just rest all your fingers on the pad then move fingers down and thumb up, boom.

I can understand it being a pain if you've got long nails or something.

Okay, my wife is starting to sperg out a little about her trackpad now that she's back to using Firefox. She wants two finger swipes to be back and forward like they are in Safari, but there doesn't seem to be a way to make that happen with the normal trackpad preferences. The closest you can do is set "Swipe between pages" to "Swipe with two or three fingers", but that breaks her 3 finger swipe between full screen apps, and apparently 4 fingers to do that is unacceptable.

I tried installing BetterTouchTool on my Air when I first got it, and it worked well for a bit, but then it got all crashy on me. Is there something similar that works well in Lion?