Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Sat by my front door all loving day waiting for FedEx to drop off my exhaust, and they didn't deliver it because they said I wasn't home. Literally, all day by the front door. Now I have to drive out to pick it up at the sorting facility tomorrow morning because I don't trust those fuckwits to get it right the second time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Sat by my front door all loving day waiting for FedEx to drop off my exhaust, and they didn't deliver it because they said I wasn't home. Literally, all day by the front door. Now I have to drive out to pick it up at the sorting facility tomorrow morning because I don't trust those fuckwits to get it right the second time.

Ahahaha, having had the same experience, have you called them and TOLD them to "TAKE IT OFF THE TRUCK!" yet? If not, well, you'll pass it on the way to the depot.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Sponge! posted:

Ahahaha, having had the same experience, have you called them and TOLD them to "TAKE IT OFF THE TRUCK!" yet? If not, well, you'll pass it on the way to the depot.

Yeah I called right away to have it held at the depot. Picked it up today and went to install it, but since I am doing the full turbo-back, I needed to get the down pipe off too. That didn't go so well. My electric impact didn't have enough gusto to get the bolts off, so I am taking it to the shop across the street for them to take the down pipe off and install the new parts. So for now it's sitting with just an open down pipe until Monday, good thing I have several backup vehicles.

Additionally, I am no longer in good enough physical condition to be doing this poo poo any more. Being on the ground under the car wreaked havoc with my busted hip and shoulder. I guess I will have a lighter wallet for some projects.

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Aug 19, 2011

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Just hooked up a oil pressure gauge in the 67 C10. 40 psi at idle which is not bad for a $150 craigslist engine find.

MATLAB 1988
Sep 20, 2009
Have I posted about my Subaru XT yet? Here are pictures of my Subaru XT. POST POST POST.
A local junkyard (click to go back to 1996) had a 1980 W123 300d, so I was able to grab all of the year-specific items that I've broken while working on my 300cd. The car was pretty much stripped of all easily eBay-able parts.

I wonder if the person who had this converted for running single-tank waste vegetable oil recouped their investment. This 300d was rusty and they made like 2 million of them, no big deal. I grabbed the Mercedes star power steering pump lid because it's a nice touch.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
I wet sanded down the clear coat and lovely GM touchup paint that did not stay within the lines. Then used the nail-painter wick to make a big fuckoff mess of the car.

From a distance, the paint looks OK, but not sure how well I can sand that half-hosed clearcoat mess down without tearing into the existing paint.

Livin' life, 12ml at a time. :downsgun:

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

Oil and oil filter change day! I also took advantage of the opportunity to inspect some of the rest of the front suspension (nothing visibly horrible) although I still have new strut inserts and mounts to put in and I REALLY need to do something about the black-as-used-oil brake fluid populating the clutch and brake systems. Also took a sample for blackstone to see if the sodium count is increased any (indicating a coolant leak into the oil, and probably a failed head gasket). I sure hope not - I don't want to have to replace the head gasket until January, especially considering that my front-end inspection revealed my passenger's side front tire as being more or less on the verge of total failure due to dry rot.

I then washed it :3: looked so happy after I finished rinsing. I also shampooed the driver's seat because I got tired of my car smelling like hot balls. Maybe tomorrow holds a wet paper toweling for the interior surfaces with a fresh rain-x application. Probably not waxing it this time, though.

AND, while not technically for my ride, I went to watch Senna today, and then drove with renewed focus on the way home. I really wish I had been into cars earlier in my life :(

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Oil & filter as well as differential fluid change, woo! I was a bit worried about the miata, because apparently the filter is hard to change. I didn't have any trouble, I guess I have freakishly small hands or something because I could get at it going in from the top of the engine bay no problem.

Also not sure if the differential oil had ever been changed, pitch black and smelling like pure sulfur... :barf:

Was going to try the transmission, but I couldn't get the car high enough off the ground. That will have to wait until I can use a lift.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

TrueChaos posted:

smelling like pure sulfur... :barf:

That's normal. Gear oil makes lots of people dry-heave.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

EightBit posted:

That's normal. Gear oil makes lots of people dry-heave.

Hmm. The stuff I put in didnt smell nearly as bad, could that be because the new stuff was synthetic?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

TrueChaos posted:

Hmm. The stuff I put in didnt smell nearly as bad, could that be because the new stuff was synthetic?

No, it's usually just really freaking smelly because of how the oil breaks down over time, and the metal that gets suspended in it from gear wear.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Geirskogul posted:

No, it's usually just really freaking smelly because of how the oil breaks down over time, and the metal that gets suspended in it from gear wear.

Ah, that makes sense. First time changing gear oil :)

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Finally replaced the knock sensor. Now that it's hooked up, it's hesitating pretty bad between about 1800-2500 rpm, but it's no longer throwing a P0325 at me.

So far it's gotten new plugs, cap, rotor, O2 sensor, fuel filter, knock sensor (the sensor because it was throwing a code for it), and a new PCV hose.

I do know one of the plug wires is iffy - if it's not on just right, it misfires on #2. It doesn't hesitate at all with the knock sensor disconnected, so it's gotta be a sensor, right? It doesn't do anything that would make me think it's a vacuum leak.

I'm going to go ahead and replace the plug wires since one is iffy anyway, then double check the timing and clean the MAF. Any other suggestions?

(it's the 99 Altima of doom)

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
^
Its possible you got a DOA knock sensor and its causing the problem.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Geoj posted:

^
Its possible you got a DOA knock sensor and its causing the problem.

That's certainly possible - rockauto's cheapest knock sensor is still $65, and this one was $13 shipped on ebay. It's not showing a pending or stored P0325 yet.

The sensor I got is a private label from the seller I ordered it from, and they have an absurd amount of 99%+ positive feedback. Also has a 1 year warranty. I'll scan the ECU in a few days and see if it comes back. Even with the sensor disconnected, it's been getting horrible mileage - 19.8 MPG on this last tank... from a 4 cylinder in a compact car.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

some texas redneck posted:

That's certainly possible - rockauto's cheapest knock sensor is still $65, and this one was $13 shipped on ebay. It's not showing a pending or stored P0325 yet.

The sensor I got is a private label from the seller I ordered it from, and they have an absurd amount of 99%+ positive feedback. Also has a 1 year warranty. I'll scan the ECU in a few days and see if it comes back. Even with the sensor disconnected, it's been getting horrible mileage - 19.8 MPG on this last tank... from a 4 cylinder in a compact car.

More of a midsize than compact. Sentra filled that spot.

EDIT: \/\/ I didn't mean in a spergy way. :goonsay:

Sockington fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Aug 21, 2011

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Sockington posted:

More of a midsize than compact. Sentra filled that spot.

The first and second generation Altima were at the upper end of the compact car class - interior volume from 93-01 is 108 cubic ft, and a 103.1 inch wheelbase. According to Wikipedia, that meets the EPA's definition of compact car. It's not much bigger than an early 2000s 4 door Civic.

02+ is definitely in midsize territory though. The third and fourth generation Altimas look like bro trucks next to my 99. You can easily fit 5 adults in an 02+, but you can barely get 4 in my 99... and the two in the back are gonna have to be pretty comfortable with each other.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Aug 21, 2011

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Bought these for more than I should've spent ... they better turn up

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Went over to my friends house and put JCW fuel injectors and a new FPR in my Mini, and changed out the trans fluid as well. Going tomorrow for ECU flash

Of course it will all be for naught if I sell it and buy an Impreza anyway :v:

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Currently airing out the 2K 9-5. Had a very minute amount of gas+2cyl oil spill in the trunk when doing evasive maneuvers around some assfuck's kid on a tiny motorcycle who was left to his own devices.. opted to run off the side, and directly in the road. The net held it, but it still tipped over. Need to remember to run bungees to keep it upright in the future.

New cabin filter since it was time (and smelled a bit musty), and minor repair work on sunroof - saw that one edge was pulling up due to a missing latch (12 year old car with 180k, some stuff tends to wear/break), and put some cork 'grabbers' on the underside. The car has no squeaks, anymore. :dance:

If you don't understand how incredible the above statement is, you've never owned a 12 year old GM automobile.

I also fixed a broken choke on my 'it came broken' weed eater, because both the selling company, and FedEx are too incapable to handle an insurance issue in 3 weeks, and my yard looks like poo poo.

drat HF electric paint sprayer came DOA. Motor is def. seized, but did all-but-disassemble it just to make sure. Decided not to return it today because I have half a mind to take a 20Gal tub of stain with me and demand I get to test it before I leave with the replacement, as the nearest HF is ~50 miles each way.

Being that it allows for 5gal/hour, it'd be half a day well spent. V:q:V

Viggen fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Aug 21, 2011

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
Washed egg off my cars, yay paint damage on the mini.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

Washed egg off my cars, yay paint damage on the mini.

Who would do that to such nice cars? Neither of your cars were obnoxious or anything. What the hell?

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Raluek posted:

Who would do that to such nice cars? Neither of your cars were obnoxious or anything. What the hell?

Kids are assholes, and you're not allowed to beat your own, little alone others', anymore. :bahgawd:

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Bored teenagers? There are some hipsters that walk down the city block where I live every once in a while airing down tires on all the pickups and SUVs parked curbside, thinking they're saving the environment.

Because you know the people driving 20+ year old beat-to-poo poo Rangers and Blazers and parking them curbside are doing it because just they like big trucks and not because they're all carpenters, movers or landscapers.

SlimManFat
Nov 12, 2010

RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST

thelightguy posted:

Bored teenagers? There are some hipsters that walk down the city block where I live every once in a while airing down tires on all the pickups and SUVs parked curbside, thinking they're saving the environment.
I'd kick the living poo poo out of anyone I caught doing that to my truck.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Flushed the brakes and chased down a vacuum leak, which turned out to be a loose IAC assembly.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

SlimManFat posted:

I'd kick the living poo poo out of anyone I caught doing that to my truck.

I spotted them coming down the street once and came at them with a crowbar, but the cops here have bigger poo poo to worry about than some mild criminal mischief... like if they're getting paid next week. Yay bankrupt cities!

Still, those kids cost me $300 loving dollars for new front tires on my Jimmy. :argh:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

thelightguy posted:

Because you know the people driving 20+ year old beat-to-poo poo Rangers and Blazers and parking them curbside are doing it because just they like big trucks and not because they're all carpenters, movers or landscapers.

Ironically, if they thought beat to poo poo pickups were obscure enough they'd all be driving one regardless of their effect on the environment.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Actually the funniest part is that they got my 6-cyl Jimmy and my neighbor's 4-cyl Ranger, but left the V8 LTD crown vic on my block untouched.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Took the Volvo to a muffler shop so they could fix my massive exhaust crack. $40 later and I've got a new pipe section and a quieter and better-smelling car!

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

thelightguy posted:

Actually the funniest part is that they got my 6-cyl Jimmy and my neighbor's 4-cyl Ranger, but left the V8 LTD crown vic on my block untouched.

If a person appears under 27, and is unwashed, hit it with a crowbar. It worked for Half-Life. Seriously, if civil unrest has gotten to the point that people think they have the right to gently caress with your stuff on an 'eco' standard, just take a few dozen out every week. Not like anyone's going to notice.

They also assumed the Vic was an undercover cop car.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
No, they probably figured that the Crown Vic got better mileage than the trucks and SUVs. People that do that kind of poo poo don't really think about things (lower air pressure = more fuel spent :psyduck:), so they probably didn't notice the v8 gas hog in a car body.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
Ran out of gas :(

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

NOTinuyasha posted:

Ran out of gas :(

How do you run out of gas?

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
it was 85 and sunny, so i put 100 miles on it with the top off :)

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Father-son bonding. Conned my father into helping me rip the hood, grill, bumper, and fenders off of my jimmy in preparation to replace the bent up radiator frame and leaking radiator.

Never play chicken with taxis, they give no poo poo.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

c355n4 posted:

How do you run out of gas?

If you haven't found out just how far the needle will go past E you haven't lived my friend

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

heat posted:

If you haven't found out just how far the needle will go past E you haven't lived my friend

I drove 60 miles after the low fuel light came on a few months ago. Took 14.8 gallons to fill it up after that.

I have a 15 gallon tank. So we'll call it 60 miles of safety net on my car.

Mr.Peabody
Jul 15, 2009

heat posted:

I used to do this all the time when I was touring through Europe.. however I did keep 60L of petrol in jerry cans in the trunk so it wasn't a big deal. I did however, find out my X miles remaining is surprisingly accurate, and everything on my dash will turn red when it's down to like the last few miles. I never starved the engine to a sputtering stop, I don't think that's good for it.. but I definitely drove past many gas stations wondering just where that limit was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
E is fine and nothing to worry about. It's when it gets to W then you're in trouble my friend...

W = Walk

Edit, also why does the car need a tow for running out of fuel, does this damage the car in some way? I don't see why someone couldn't just turn up with a jerry can.

Vanagoon fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Aug 22, 2011